Chrysler Turbine (Jay Leno) 1963

• Thread starter 20B_4ME
  • 31 comments
TWNTYB_4ME
F Caris
Chrysler Turbine Cars were automobiles powered by gas turbine engines that the Chrysler Corporation made from 1962-1964. Bodies for the Chrysler Turbine were made by Ghia in Turin, Italy, with final assembly taking place in a small plant inDetroit, Michigan, USA.

The fourth-generation Chrysler turbine engine ran at up to 44,500 revolutions per minute, according to the owner's manual,[3]and could operate using diesel fuel, unleaded gasoline, kerosene, JP-4jet fuel, and even vegetable oil. The engine would run on virtually anything with combustible properties and the President of Mexico tested this theory by running one of the first cars—successfully—on tequila. No air/fuel adjustments were required to switch from one fuel type to another and the only evidence of which fuel was used was the odor of the exhaust.

Only two Chrysler Turbine Cars are in the hands of private collectors: One was purchased by private automobile collector Frank Kleptz of Terre Haute, Indiana and is functional. Kleptz's Turbine Car was originally donated to the former Harrah museum in Nevada. The second one is owned by comedian and television host Jay Leno, who purchased one of the three Chrysler Turbine Cars which had been originally retained by Chrysler.[11] Leno wrote that

Most were destroyed by Chrysler for tax and liability reasons, which is a shame, because to this day everyone who rides in a Turbine says, "Whoa, this feels like the future!" You turn the key and there's a big woosh and a complete absence of vibration... I think it's the most collectible American car—it was so different. Most of all, the Chrysler Turbine is a reminder that all the cool stuff used to be made in the U.S. I hope it will be again.

Video here:

800px-Chrysler_027.jpg

800px-1963_Chrysler_Turbine_in_Hershey_PA.JPG

It can run on tequila too so it's most likely the definition of awesome. Imagine the RPM tach, idle is at 15,000 RPM, and cruise speed is at 30,000 RPM.

I loved this car as a kid, I had a little die-cast car that I played with every day. Would kill to have this in the game.

-Sonny

Please edit the title to follow the thread guidance on titles - Make / Model / Year to enable alphabetic searching and reduce the risk of duplicate threads.

If it were to be added to GT6, it would be placed under Chrysler, not Jay Leno.

Because... well...

It's a Chrysler.

Back