Circuit de la Sarthe 1 24 hours

• Thread starter flyingkiwi
  • 108 comments
This is getting really frustrating.

I'm thinking of trying the Ford GT40 or the Ford GT LM Spec II next.

Can someone please tell me what lap times these cars can do on R2 tyres at La Sarthe 1?

Cheers.

We should rename this thread: "flyingkiwi's valiant attempts & gallant failures to conquer 24 hrs of Sarthe I!!!" :P

Seriously though, keep plugging away at it and you'll come up with a winner sooner or later!

Smallhorses, do you reckon the GT40 would be too much of a handful around there?

How long does its tyres last for?

Hmmm, while I've definitely driven every car in GT4, I can't say I've ever driven the GT40 at Le Mans, so I'm not in a position to say. I'd imagine it was a terrible handful, but that'd be part of the fun for me, trying to tame the beastie. :sly:

In my experience at both Sarthe 24hr races I've found that I've needed to pit due to fuel requirements before I've wrecked tyres, so it may just be that you're particularly hard on the tyres. :boggled:

I want to use the Ford LM Race Car Spec II but for some reason in my Japanese version of the game there is no option for a stage 3 Turbo or a fully customised transmission. Instead, I am stuck with a 650hp stock-race car. Why??:grumpy:

P.S. am willing to give the Jaguar race car another go, but I need to know some tips about brake settings and how to get the car to look after its tyres for longer. Cheers.

Last edited:
I want to use the Ford LM Race Car Spec II but for some reason in my Japanese version of the game there is no option for a stage 3 Turbo or a fully customised transmission. Instead, I am stuck with a 650hp stock-race car. Why??:grumpy:

P.S. am willing to give the Jaguar race car another go, but I need to know some tips about brake settings and how to get the car to look after its tyres for longer. Cheers.

Good luck.

I don't think that the game has a stage 3 turbo for the Ford GT LM Spec II Race Car.

My Ford GT LM Spec II Race Car reaches about 900 horsepower with a stage 3 NA tune. Check the Ford dealer for the NA tune upgrade.

Now, I don't really know if I would recommend this car for a run at La Sarthe. The Ford GT is tough on its rear tires with this much horsepower, so you may have problems with tire wear and staying on the track!

Good luck,
GTsail

I would leave the Ford GT for now and use a different car. What if you used the Mclaren F1. Then again it depends on tire wear.

The Mclaren F1 would be tough in stock trim. I used it for the Fuji 1000km, and I managed to win by about 30 seconds, by mixing between R1s rear/R2s front and R2s rear/R3s front. I went up against the Nissan R92CP in this race as my main rival, and won by about 25 seconds in the end. I think I used the R2s/R1s for the first few stints and the last few, with the R3s/R2s coming into play throughout the rest of the race - that way, I didn't loose my pit stop advantage on the R92CP but also minimised the damage he would do to me on the track. It was a fun race, for 200 A-Spec points.

If you were doing Sarthe 2 with this car, up against the R92CP and Sauber C9 et al, I would be worried about the Mclaren's lack of top-end speed, but I think you've got a chance at Sarthe 1, up against the slightly less horsepower-crazy field...am I right in remembering that Sarthe 1 has the modern-era prototypes rather than the Group C era cars of Sarthe 2? :dunce:

Anyway, it's certainly worth a try I think. Best of luck to your persistant efforts - you will nail this race soon, I'm sure of it! :D

EDIT: Also, worth mentioning that I was able to outlast the R92CP in terms of pitstops on both combos of tyres, so tyre wear should be okay for this race...but don't quote me on that. Test them out and see :)

The BMW McLaren F1 GTR has been used in stock trim (oil & tyre changes only) to conquer both Sarthe I & II for 200 A-spec points respectively against some really tough opposition by Vash666 for entry into the CLUB 200 list.

Sarthe 24h I, using stock BMW McLaren F1 GTR - 200pts. race **PICS ADDED**

BMW McLaren conquers la Sarthe II **PICS ADDED**

Both races were pretty tough even for a driver of his calibre by the looks of things, and would mean that flyingkiwi would have to forego his self-imposed stop-go penalties if he wanted any chance of (finally) finishing this race, and finishing atop the podium.

The BMW McLaren F1 GTR has been used in stock trim (oil & tyre changes only) to conquer both Sarthe I & II for 200 A-spec points respectively against some really tough opposition by Vash666 for entry into the CLUB 200 list.

Both races were pretty tough even for a driver of his calibre by the looks of things, and would mean that flyingkiwi would have to forego his self-imposed stop-go penalties if he wanted any chance of (finally) finishing this race, and finishing atop the podium.

Good heads up Smallhorses, I remember those reports now! I thought I remember seeing a Mclaren F1 at Le Mans in GT4...:)

But yeah, the Mclaren would be a great car to try for a real tough challenge, not sure I could swallow the nerves enough to go 24hrs in this baby...but its a joy to drive, if I remembe rightly from my experiance at the Fuji 1000km. Planted and secure all the way, even at high speed. It won't let you down :)

Decided to go with the Jaguar again because I want to race against the Sauber. The race you linked me to (thank you!:)) was against the R89 and the BMW. I want to race against both the Sauber and the R92 at least.

The Lineup: 128 a-spec points
Mazda 787B Race Car 843hp, 830kg
BMW V12 LMR Race Car 839hp, 900kg
Nissan R92CP Race Car 1001hp, 900kg
Bentley Speed 8 Race Car 837hp, 900kg
Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car 987hp, 893kg
Jaguar XJ220 LM Race Car 950hp, 1180kg

Rules: 1. Must use each set of tyres (R1s, R2s, R3s) for at least 20 laps of the race; 2. Cutting the chicane in the pits and getting a time gain will result in a stop-go penalty at the start-finish line;3. Rejoining the track unsafely and hitting another car will resul t in a 10-second stop-go penalty at the start-finish line.

Hour 1, Sunday, 23 May, 17 laps completed

Race starts at 2:57pm. Am up to 2nd by the time I clear the second Mulsane chicane. Close up on the 787B but lose control slightly under braking Mulsane corner. This allows the R92 to repass me but after following the two leaders through the Porsche curves, I take the lead in the Ford Chicanes. First lap completed in 3:39.127.

1. 3:39.127 +1.5s (787B)
2. 3:31.041 +7.9s (R92)
3. 3:30.092 +10.4s (R92)
4. 3:33.888 +7.2s (R92)
5. 3:30.136 +7.1s (R92)

Pit on lap 6 with a 5s lead over the Sauber. Had 17 units of fuel left. Rejoin in 4th, 26s down. After all the other cars pitted, I have a 9.1s lead over the Sauber. I do a 3:29.348 on lap 10 to stretch the lead to 14.5s. The Sauber reduces my lead to 8s before I pit on lap 12 with red rear tyres and only 2 units of fuel left in the tank. Once again I rejoin 26s behind. I improve my fastest lap to a 3:29.293 on lap 15 and at the end of the hour I am 14.0s ahead of the Sauber.

Hour 2

Pit on lap 18 and rejoin 21s behind the Sauber in 3rd, the R92 about 3s in front of me. The Sauber and R92 then pit on lap 21 and I retake a 7s lead. I only extend this to 10s by the time I pit. The power boost from the oil change has now worn off and I cannot improve on consistent 3:31s. Change to R3 tyres on lap 24 and rejoin 18s down in 2nd, the R92 this time about 3s behind me.

The bad news is that, apart from setting a new personal fastest lap (3:27.587), the Sauber actually extends his lead to 20s as I cannot match his pace even on R3s. The R3s only last 4 laps and the top 3 cars all pit on lap 28. I reduce the lead to 10s due to not taking on as much fuel (only 45/80 units).

By the beginning of lap 31 I am on the tail of the Sauber and we battle for the lead. We come up to lap the Bentley but both of us have trouble doing so and on the run down to the Porsche Curves I get in front but move across too soon and am sent into a spin up the escape road. The Bentley also loses it and ends up in in the sand. I rejoin 10s down but pit again on lap 32. As the hour ends I spin again and once again turn off the playstation.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I sound so cold and cruel, but I'm hoping you might actually win this one.

Cool :D

Best of luck flyingkiwi! That Jaguar is a fine machine. I've got my fingers crossed for ya!

(...if I've just jinxed you, then I apologise! :scared:)

I am pessimistic about my chances.

For one, I have the double disadvantage of doing more stops on R2s than the Sauber, as well as being slower than the Sauber when we are both at our quickest. I will have to rely extremely heavily on the Sauber's slow lap times when he is heavy with fuel.

I have yet to use the R1s and R3s. The R1s will last 7 laps but will be very slow. The R3s meanwhile will only last 4 laps. I should get those tyres out of the way as soon as possible and then see where I'm at.

The Lineup: 128 a-spec points
Mazda 787B Race Car 843hp, 830kg
Bentley Speed 8 Race Car 837hp, 900kg
Jaguar XJ220 LM Race Car 950hp, 1180kg
*snip*...

By the beginning of lap 31 I am on the tail of the Sauber and we battle for the lead. We come up to lap the Bentley but both of us have trouble doing so and on the run down to the Porsche Curves I get in front but move across too soon and am sent into a spin up the escape road. The Bentley also loses it and ends up in in the sand. I rejoin 10s down but pit again on lap 32. As the hour ends I spin again and once again turn off the playstation.

Nice try Flyingkiwi, you've really put in some effort in these races!

I've given the Jaguar a spin at La Sarthe, and feel that its just not good enough to win at La Sarthe. Sure, its fast enough, but it drives like its too long, and does not turn well enough at speed. The only time it turns well enough is when you are on R3 tires, and this won't allow a win since the Jaguar will go thru its R3 tires too quickly, and then you are at a terrible pit stop disadvantage.

Why don't you try either the BMW McLaren F1 GTR or the Nissan R390 GT1 for your next attempt? Both should be able to win depending upon the lineups and which turbo you install, and you should still be able to impose your self-imposed penalties for chicane violations and AI impacts, etc.

Respectfully,
GTsail

I haven't got the bloody 787B.

I'll one one final time. Will run either the RX-7 or the RX-8 race car.

It might be possible to win with either of these Mazda's. The RX-7 is a little faster but has a tendency to spin out under heavy braking, while the RX-8 is a little harder on its tires, but is much more stable.

An alternative to buying the Mazda 787B for $3.5 million from the Mazda dealer, is the Mercedes AMG CLK-GTR Race Car that you can win in the German Touring Car Championship. Both can win at La Sarthe.

Good luck,
GTsail

Just use the bloody 787B.

The 787B will just make it too easy. Using the R390 and the Mercedes clk gtr would be too easy epscially if you put a turbo on it. If anyone does use those cars they should do it at stock because its more of a challenge if they don't put any modificatons on it. If anything i would give them both an oil change and nothing more. Besides flyingwiki is looking for an challenge by using slower cars.

An alternative to buying the Mazda 787B for $3.5 million from the Mazda dealer, is the Mercedes AMG CLK-GTR Race Car that you can win in the German Touring Car Championship. Both can win at La Sarthe.

Good luck,
GTsail

As one who has tested the AMG for the current GTPLMS, albeit in arcade. It is a very nice and easy to control vehicle.

The Lineup: 191 a-spec points
Nissan R89C Race Car 968hp, 900kg
Audi R8 834hp, 900kg
Mazda RX-8 Concept LM Race Car 877hp, 1,100kg, Stage 4 turbo, Oil change

Rules: 1. Must use each set of tyres (R1s, R2s, R3s) for at least 20 laps of the race; 2. Cutting the chicane in the pits and getting a time gain will result in a stop-go penalty at the start-finish line;3. Rejoining the track unsafely and hitting another car will resul t in a 10-second stop-go penalty at the start-finish line.

Hour 1, May 26, 17 laps completed

Race start time: 7:23pm. Start on R1 tyres. Struggle for grip on lap 1 and run wide at Indianapolis and drop back to last place. Repass the BMW at the final chicane to end the lap with a 3:44.517. 6.8s behind the leading Sauber.

Do a 3:34.948 on lap 2 and the gap remains the same.

I have a spin at the esses on lap 3 after passing the R92 and the result is a 3:37.103. I am now 12.7s behind the Sauber.

By the time we make our first pitstops on lap 7, I am in 3rd, 23s behind the leader. But I brake too late entering pitlane and cut the entrance chicane slightly and thus get served with a stop-go penalty, which I perform at the start-finish line at the completion of the lap.:yuck:

I thus drop back to 4th behind the R89. Lap 9 is a disaster as I spin at Mulsanne corner and then have an off an Indianapolis. This puts me down to 5th behind the BMW. The lap time is 3:54.344, which I hope is my worst for the race.:ouch: I am now 46s behind the Sauber.

I am still in 4th and the gap to the Sauber is 1:02s when we all pit again on lap 14. Decide to change to R3 tyres. Rejoin in 5th. My fastest lap on the R1s was a 3:30.741 on lap 4.

The R3s work beautifully and I begin to drag myself back into the race. I immediately pass the R89 for 4th on our outlap at the first Mulsane chicane and the next lap is a 3:24.082, followed up by a 3:26.097. This puts me in 3rd (the BMW pitted on lap 16) and I end an intriguing first hour 36.1s behind the Sauber.

Latest Posts

Back