Cities: Skylines II

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 153 comments
Ireland
Codemasters (EA)
PJTierney

Create and manage your own city without restrictions. Offering a deep simulation and a living economy, Cities: Skylines II will challenge your decision-making skills and allow you to build the cities of your dreams.

Get ready for a new epic scale in the most realistic city builder - ever.

Last edited:
Right, I get that the start of the trailer says NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY, but if this is at least rendered in game... holy crap.

edit:

Screenshots like this make me think, that's not in game...

ss_9ee68cf8c4a671a9408c462481977881405328ed.1920x1080.jpg

but at this level, it seems a lot more plausible...

ss_d65c3fe48b29512f21e462aee5452db7e66bfce1.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:
Right, I get that the start of the trailer says NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY, but if this is at least rendered in game... holy crap.
Normally “not actual gameplay” means it’s entirely CG.

I don’t mind, it’ll be 6-9 months before the game is out so plenty of time for actual gameplay to surface.

The trailer looks stunning. It's hard to tell how much of the trailer is from the engine and how much will transfer to the final game, but it seems like they're hinting at ray traced reflections at the very least

Also, I really hope they move away from the car centric and suburban sprawl city design, and allow for more mixed use plots

I’m gonna need more RAM.
Oh No Omg GIF by STARZ

Right then, time to get another 64 on order... let's go boys.

Oh wait, I need to do 4×32, bugger.

In seriousness though. I think I'm only battering the RAM at the moment because of Assets. I'm not going to assume that there'll be a high volume of suitable assets out of the gate, so it might not be too bad.

Watching the trailer again, I'm struck by these lines...

"It's time to start from the beginning... yet evolve into something new.

This city has a story, envision a world created by you"

and then it hit me why I had such a strong emotional hit from the trailer...

... strong vibes from this ...

Also.. Biffa's reaction to having played the game 18 months ago.

Last edited:
City Planner Plays has speculated it may run on Unreal. Only half way through his vid though. ;-)

Last edited:
Also.. Biffa's reaction to having played the game 18 months ago.
Was just about to post this too.

He says he can confirm there are seasons.

He and other content creators are in a Discord server with the developers. They had an "alpha" test back in August 2021. Seasons were not in the "alpha" version of the game that they tested. They were able to play the game for about a week or so. They responded to questionnaires about the experience, thoughts on features, feedback, etc.

If the game is anywhere near what has been shown, my PC will not be up to the job. :grumpy: :banghead: It struggles now if I get close to 200k people. :lol:

Loving what I have seen so far though, but imperatur warns of caution when comparing the original Cities Skylines trailer to how the game actually looked when it arrived. ;)

Be wary, some mild swearing, and a freaky looking kid dancing at the beginning. You have been warned. :lol:

Last edited:
It’s hard to draw any conclusions about the game based on the trailer, but it seems like seasons might be a thing.

I do hope some of the functions of the most essential mods are going to be integrated into the game.

Edit: That achievements list is interesting. It confirms not only changing seasons but also different climates. And a whooping 150 tiles!

Last edited:
It talks about unlocking 150 tiles... is that just accumulated across multiple cities, or have they changed the tile mechanic (or our we getting massive cities).

Also, what does it mean by following a citizens life span from childhood to old age?

I don't look at trophies or achievements normally.

It talks about unlocking 150 tiles... is that just accumulated across multiple cities, or have they changed the tile mechanic (or our we getting massive cities).

Also, what does it mean by following a citizens life span from childhood to old age?

I don't look at trophies or achievements normally.
It says in a single city. So it seems huge (assuming the tiles remain the same size).

There’s also an achievement for assigning a city service to a district, so no more mods needed for that.

Edit: And cargo lines appear to be a thing too.

Last edited:
If they have an achievement list already, it sounds like a release will be relatively soon.

It says in a single city. So it seems huge (assuming the tiles remain the same size).
At the moment it's 81 tile, we can now use 25, but the base was 9. All other things being equal, if we're going from 9 by 9 to maybe 13 by 13 with a bit of edge padding, and it all be useable, that would be great. Or, they could go the other way. If they've increased the resolution of the map to make the scale more realistic, and gone from something like 8m cells to 4m, but kept 240 by 240 cells per tile, and it's all useable, we get much more space to build with, we get a bit bigger of a map, and we get better resolution in the map (no more pedestrian paths wider than a real life motorway carriageway!). That'd be great, there's been people messing with 4m, 1/2 cell paths on the workshop so perhaps its something that'd be easy enough to do.

Last edited:
One of the few reasons for me to game on my PC (excluding Sim Racing of course)

Cities Skylines 1 was a dream come true back in the day, same with Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster, love them.

Graphically, it will look nothing like the trailers. Even a high end PC will struggle with the density!!

Last edited:
Some things jumped out of the achievement list.

Experience a rat infestation. Rats! 😲 :lol:

Use the photo mode to take a screenshot.
Photo mode? 🤔

Use the editor to make an asset of any other type than map.
Making assets! I wonder how easy they can make it. 🤔

Use the editor to make a map.
Same with a map editor, how easy will they make it.

They have confirmed that CS2 is Unity based and not Unreal

They had also said Cities Skylines will get "a proper send-off"

Before we move on completely, Cities: Skylines will get a proper send-off. What that looks like exactly will have to wait for another day as we will share the roadmap and more details of what’s to come very soon. We want to leave the game loved by so many in a good shape before we start the next chapter together in Cities: Skylines II.

This reply here makes it seem like we won't get everything from CS1, and some stuff may return as DLC after release

I'd love for there to be an AI function that allowed you to upload real world pictures and the game would use the assets in game to recreate it as closely as possible. Would be a massive time-saver and a genuinely useful tool.

A couple of screenshots from the game were leaked on the Xbox store. The graphics look good, like a heavily modded game but with better lighting. The buildings look pretty realistic, I didn't spot anything cartoonish so far. It also looks like they have improved the way they are rendering the interior of buildings.

Skärmbild 2023-06-03 181751.png

It also looks like there is some big changes to the way roads work. In the image below you can see a two-lane road with parking transitioning seamlessly into a 3-lane road, with a lane joining from the motorway. That's hard to do with mods in CS, especially to make it look as good as in the screenshot. It also looks like the road markings are generated procedurally, like with the Intersection Marking Tool mod. I assume some similar mechanics have been incorporated in the game, since the mod's creator now works for Colossal Order. Also note that the pedestrian paths appear to be around 3 meters wide (about the same as a lane on the road), which is a big improvement over the 8 meter paths we have in CS.

Skärmbild 2023-06-03 175025.png

The lights look great in the image below, except for the lack of functional streetlights obviously. I like that they have put streetlights at the intersection as well, that's something that was missing from CS. Note the nicely drawn pedestrian crossings and stop lines, those are definitely procedural.

Skärmbild 2023-06-03 182118.png

Here are all four leaked images:

Those road markings look way better than the current game, especially where the road splits off into different lanes.

Last edited:
Pre Order details

ULTIMATE EDITION​

ST_CS2_UltimateEditionExpandableSteamUnit_FIXED.png

Cities: Skylines II: Ultimate Edition gives you access to the base game, as well as the Expansion Pass.
This includes the San Francisco Set, Beach Properties Asset Pack (Q4 ‘23), two Content Creator Packs (Q1 ‘24), the Bridges & Ports Expansion (Q2 ‘24) as well as 3 Radio Stations paired with each release (Q4 ‘23, Q1 Q2 ‘24)."

San Francisco Set​

Bring some sunny vibes to your city with this San Franciso themed set. A Muscle Car Garage building, 5 different Muscle car models and a police vehicle will spruce up your bustling beach city. Included in the set is also the iconic Golden Gate Bridge and of course - a San Francisco map. Exclusive when buying the Expansion Pass

Beach Properties Asset Pack​

This asset pack has everything you need to bring life to your waterfronts. “Beach Properties” includes a vast collection of assets that makes it possible to build luxurious beach housing areas, opening new possibilities for customization of your city.

Content Creator Packs x 2​

Introducing more than 30 assets each, these packs will infuse your city with some extra personality. Crafted by two of the Cities: Skylines community’s favorite creators, these packs truly highlight the talent and artistry of our modders.

Bridges & Ports Expansion​

Livelier coasts are now available with this new expansion, Bridges & Ports! With a new set of tools you are now able to create a bustling port to your city, and add beautiful new details like draw bridges and lighthouses. With over 100 new assets as well as the new addition of Marine Industries you can expand your waterfront landscape and connect your city in exciting new ways.

Radio Stations x 3​

Set the tone in your city! Introducing a new host and 60 min of music, each Radio pack will give your city building experience a new vibe. The Radio stations are paired with each release.

PRE-PURCHASE BONUS: LANDMARK BUILDINGS​

Steam_citiesSkylines2Preorder_CustomImage_616w_V2.png

Set your City apart with 9 Unique Buildings based on famous landmarks from around the world. Included is also a map based on the geography of Tampere, home of Colossal Order.

Man I cannot wait for this! It looks very good so far! My most anticipated game of the year now.

Put hundreds of hours into the original And I can see this keeping me busy this winter!!

Have to say I hate all this DLC planned ahead of release, I always think some of it is basically ready to be released when the base game is but is kept pack to sell DLC and ultimate editions.

Have to say I hate all this DLC planned ahead of release, I always think some of it is basically ready to be released when the base game is but is kept pack to sell DLC and ultimate editions.
Yeah, I've ordered the Ultimate edition and I don't feel great about it, but ultimately whether its done before or after release I was pretty much going to buy the content anyway, the fact it's a bundle saves a few quid.

I'll be more disappointed if none of the game mechanics from the DLCs in the first game are included in the base game, and we have to wait to buy it all again. I've racked up over 2000 hours in the first game, so it's not about the money - it's still good value - I just don't want to have to wait years for it, especially as I guess they'll have to start from scratch with Workshop assets again - there's a good chance the game will look good, but feel very empty.

Back