Classic Motorsport Photos

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,555 comments
British Formula 3, Donington Park (1991)

Drivers: Rickard Rydell SWE, Rubens Barrichello BRA
Cars: TOM'S 031F (2.0L Toyota I4), Ralt RT35 (2.0L Mugen-Honda I4)

D7RWPXIWsAE4QML.jpg:large

1989 Indy 500: Al Unser Jr spins into the wall after contact with Emerson Fittipaldi. "Emmo" won the race; "Little Al" was credited with second as the third place car of Raul Boesel was 6 laps behind the leader.

61385447_2473975919282131_1001837951136563200_n.jpg

Paris-Rouen, Le Petit Journal Horseless Carriages Contest - 22 July 1894

In what is sometimes described as the world's first competitive motor race, the winning machine was a Daimler-powered 3hp Peugeot Type 7 driven by Albert Lemaitre.

The fastest vehicle, and the first across the line, was a steam-powered De Dion-Bouton driven by Count Jules-Albert de Dion, but was ineligible for the main prize because it needed a stoker, a technical assistant. Their average speed was 17km/h, or 11 mph.

EAF0sfCWwAEH-Kd.jpg

1963 South African Grand Prix

Driver: Jim Clark SCO
Car: Lotus 25 (1.5L Coventry-Climax V8)
Finished: 1st

Interestingly, Clark is driving the #1 car. This was the final race of the season and Clark was already the champion. At the previous race in Mexico, outgoing champion Graham Hill drove with #1; Hill drove with #5 at this race.

EB7CXa0W4AAp0mQ

1963 South African Grand Prix

Driver: Jim Clark SCO
Car: Lotus 25 (1.5L Coventry-Climax V8)
Finished: 1st

Interestingly, Clark is driving the #1 car. This was the final race of the season and Clark was already the champion. At the previous race in Mexico, outgoing champion Graham Hill drove with #1; Hill drove with #5 at this race.

EB7CXa0W4AAp0mQ
No way this car pictured is a Lotus 25. This car has outboard front springs and shocks, while the Lotus 25 did not. And look at all the tire smoke! The 1.5 liter cars could not pull the skin off a grape, according to Stirling Moss.

What we have here is likely a 1967 3 liter Brabham-Repco.

Last edited:
No way this car pictured is a Lotus 25. This car has outboard front springs and shocks, while the Lotus 25 did not. And look at all the tire smoke! The 1.5 liter cars could not pull the skin off a grape, according to Stirling Moss.

Twitter lied to me. Shock, horror!

However, Clark driving #1 before the end of the season is true. Here's a more accurate picture to reflect the race and the post:

C0v9N2QWQAAqf2g.jpg

Last edited:

Looks a lot like Jack’s driving style too.

That’s not water spray coming off those rear tyres.

Last edited:
Those safety standards back then...I love the last picture. "What should we do about this tree?" "Ah, just stick some armco in front of it at a 45 degree angle." :lol:

My favourite out of those is the advertising board for Winfield in the third picture.

"...anyhow have a WINFIELD"

It's a genius lack of subtlety; everything else in life SMOKE WINFIELDS is irrelevant SMOKE WINFIELDS unless SMOKE WINFIELDS you're smoking Winfields SMOKE WINFIELDS.

Those safety standards back then...I love the last picture. "What should we do about this tree?" "Ah, just stick some armco in front of it at a 45 degree angle." :lol:
There was a time when that wasn’t even there.

The last pic is from the opening lap of the 1980 Bathurst 1000.

Is that Sandown?
I had no idea Group C (?) ever raced in Australia.
Yeah it is Sandown. The WSC raced there in 1983, and once more in 1989. That's why the Asian Le Mans series race at the Bend next year is soo significant; because it will be the first time in over 30 years that prototypes have raced in Australia.

Yeah it is Sandown. The WSC raced there in 1983, and once more in 1989. That's why the Asian Le Mans series race at the Bend next year is soo significant; because it will be the first time in over 30 years that prototypes have raced in Australia.
You might want to check those dates.

They actually raced there in 1984 & 1988.

Adelaide's ALMS round, the Race of a Thousand Years, held on 31st December 2000 had Audi R8s, Panozs, Lolas and Cadillac LMPs.

1539624365acc0436d0e9239206cover-620x413.jpg

Tailem Bend's race will be the first in nearly 20 years, though.

You might want to check those dates.

They actually raced there in 1984 & 1988.
I said 1989 because the Sauber C9 raced at Le Mans in 1989 and not 1988. I forgot. But dad said that the first race was in 1983... Maybe not.

https://motorsport.tv/duke-classic-videos/video/1988-world-sports-car-sandown-park/4874

Some broadcast footage from the 88’ race. Do need a subscription to watch the full video, but you get a 2 min sneak peak which shows some action though.

They actually used an in field layout built specifically for WSC as well. From what I know, the standard circuit wasn’t considered to be long enough for the championship. Adds a fair bit to the circuit but does cut off the best section in the track. Majority of the extension doesn’t exist now, with the horse track being laid on top. You can still see the entry and exit of the extension at the current turns 6 and 8.

5FEEA4C3-6B9A-4BBD-9DC0-57ECB89A8053.jpeg

On board of the extended circuit. Pretty hard to listen to though, the groans of the driver make it pretty uncomfortable, lol.

Back