Classic Motorsport Photos

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,556 comments
1973 United States Grand Prix. Jackie Stewart leads Emerson Fittipaldi in practice or qualifying against the backdrop of a New York State autumn. Stewart didn't race after teammate François Cevert died in Saturday qualifying; Fittipaldi finished 6th.

385066454_10219820670547473_8904027063257911953_n.jpg

Dad bought a book at Sandown Historics titled The Great Race from 1991 after seeing a picture of him working for Dunlop in it. There are some fantastic photos of the 1991 ATCC championship and the Bathurst 1000 that I'm going to have to show here.

Dad bought a book at Sandown Historics titled The Great Race from 1991 after seeing a picture of him working for Dunlop in it. There are some fantastic photos of the 1991 ATCC championship and the Bathurst 1000 that I'm going to have to show here.
Those books are the best annuals to cover the Bathurst 1000 ever printed.
Written by the legendary Bill Tuckey, they make for great reading and cover every car in the race from the winner to the first DNF.

I have the books that cover the races from 1983-87, including doubles for 85 & 86, if you are interested?

I was also at Sandown over the weekend & enjoy the historic meetings more than the modern offering.

It had all the charm of an indoor karting track.
In 1982, they painted the corner numbers on the track, so they wouldn't look exactly alike. Or at least, that was my guess after watching it on the F1 archive. They removed a lot of the concrete barriers between the two races to make look a little less confining and maybe a little safer.

Last edited:
Roo
"Raymond Mays, who later went on to be leader at English Racing Automobiles(ERA) and at British Racing Motors (BRM), loses a wheel from his Bugatti Brescia at The Caerphilly Hill Climb in 1924."

View attachment 1108091
This is not what I expected to see flipping back through this thread 😄👍 I'm from Caerphilly and had no Idea The Caerphilly Hillclimb was a thing. I wonder where abouts it was ran 🤔

Last edited:
They (or better the Caesars Palace) actually planned a double header at the Vegas parking lot for '82 with CART ("Indycar") and they would've removed barriers between series so CART had an oval with ~5 corners on the outside straights of the F1 track. You can see the straight in the maps from T1 to T10/11. You could imagine what a tough challenge the organisation was with lots of egos on both sides in CART and F1/FISA (FIA). In the end it didn't take place since F1 had to run on Saturday due to the european audience and CART should've raced afterwards. F1 as pre-show to CART? Not with FISA. They switched the racedate for F1 to the end of September where CART "sadly" had a race in Mischigan the same weekend.

1700260299163.jpeg

They (or better the Caesars Palace) actually planned a double header at the Vegas parking lot for '82 with CART ("Indycar") and they would've removed barriers between series so CART had an oval with ~5 corners on the outside straights of the F1 track. You can see the straight in the maps from T1 to T10/11. You could imagine what a tough challenge the organisation was with lots of egos on both sides in CART and F1/FISA (FIA). In the end it didn't take place since F1 had to run on Saturday due to the european audience and CART should've raced afterwards. F1 as pre-show to CART? Not with FISA. They switched the racedate for F1 to the end of September where CART "sadly" had a race in Mischigan the same weekend.

View attachment 1304291
Enough political domestic BS between USAC & CART without trying to play nice buddy buddy with the Bernie & Balestre club too.

This photo may only be 1 day old, but the artistry of it is superb.
View attachment 1304347

Angle parking.

I wonder what the circumstances were, surrounding this unusual situation? 🤔
The arm behind Clark on the roll hoop is wearing a Dunlop race suit (with the distinctive striped elasticated cuffs) which several of the Ferrari drivers wore at the time. I imagine Jim just asked the Ferrari driver (Baghetti or Rodriguez, the others retired) if he could have a sit in it and they happily obliged. Different times back then.

The arm behind Clark on the roll hoop is wearing a Dunlop race suit (with the distinctive striped elasticated cuffs) which several of the Ferrari drivers wore at the time. I imagine Jim just asked the Ferrari driver (Baghetti or Rodriguez, the others retired) if he could have a sit in it and they happily obliged. Different times back then.

Ferrari had gone south from championship leaders the year before, so anything could have helped. Lotus, BRM, and Cooper were more dominant.

1993 Australian Grand Prix

Drivers (f-b):
#8 Ayrton Senna BRA
#2 Alain Prost FRA
#5 Michael Schumacher GER
#0 Damon Hill ENG
#28 Gerhard Berger AUT
#7 Mika Häkkinen FIN

Cars:
McLaren MP4/8 (3.5L Ford V8)
Williams FW15C (3.5L Renault V10)
Benetton B193 (3.5L Ford V8)
Ferrari F93A (3.5L Ferrari V12)

Finished: 1st, 2nd, DNF (engine), 3rd, 5th, DNF (brakes)

tumblr_p62ca0xSIE1rmphnpo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
1993 Australian Grand Prix

Drivers (f-b): #8 Ayrton Senna BRA, #2 Alain Prost FRA, #5 Michael Schumacher GER, #0 Damon Hill ENG, #28 Gerhard Berger AUT, #7 Mika Häkkinen FIN
Cars: McLaren MP4/8 (3.5L Ford V8), Willaims FW15C (3.5L Renault V10), Benetton B193 (3.5L Ford V8), Ferrari F93A (3.5L Ferrari V12)
Finished: 1st, 2nd, DNF (engine), 3rd, 5th, DNF (brakes)

tumblr_p62ca0xSIE1rmphnpo1_1280.jpg
The great man's final victory.

Determination & skill triumph over those better equipped to succeed on the day.

Back