NCRthree

Premium
United States
Virginia
ncrthree/GTP_ncrthree
Clean Run Challenge #2 2005 MINI Cooper S at Deep Forest
Third Race in the 450pp Mini Seasonal Challenge

The Goal: Your fastest Total Race Time.
The Race Events are basically Time Trials with moving chicanes(AI). Most are only 5 laps so think of it as a longer Time Trial but with other cars on track. Most races will only last 7-10 minutes. Winning the race is not the end goal-it's the Total Race Time like the latest GT5 Seasonal Overtake Challenges.

The Rules:

1. No Driving Aids. Since SRF is forced on, there's more than enough car control available. No TCS, ABS, ASM, Active Steering. Driving Line and Transmission Choice are optional.

2. Tuning Prohibited. No added parts, ballast, weight or engine stages. We may add power if a car is too slow for a decent run but that will be very specific. Brake Balance is all that can be adjusted.

3. Tires. Once more because of SRF we'll be using 2 grades lower than the AI this time.

4. Track Rules: Only fully clean runs. 2 wheels on track at all times. No wall contact. No initiated AI contact. This is what will make this a REAL challenge! Avoiding other cars may be the hardest aspect.

5. 10 Maximum Clean Runs. Restarts or dirty Runs do not count toward the total. Winning the race is not necessary for a submission.

Specs: 2005 MINI COOPER S on Comfort Medium Tires.
Added parts:Supercharger Only

A new premium 05 came to 204 hp 1180 kg 422pp w/ initial oil change. This will go up of course.

Rome wasn't exactly the most relaxing outing so this will be a lot less stressful. Deep Forest is not so tight with plenty of passing opportunities and the AI isn't as bunched. So you're the baddest dude or gal in the local MINI club and aim to pass every club member on this old GT Original Favorite track.

Additional track notes: The white line is the inside track boundary. Rumble strips are part of the track. The large concrete pad before the first tunnel is NOT part of the track. Please no track cutting!

We're dropping down to Comfort Mediums as the default tires(Comfort Soft) take away from the stock vehicles character with the forced SRF(grrr). I ran it on both compounds but much preferred the CM's. I ran 3/1 B/B. You can probably go higher as it barely locks up on cold tires.

Bonus Challenge: Run the MINI N/A. Without Supercharger. Initial specs:171hp 395 pp.
Kudos to those who get a win. Just post your time with a notation: *N/A*

Good Luck everyone!

Last edited:
MadMax86 7:46.436
NCRthree 7:52.121
Lewis_Hamilton_ 7:52.517
waynz 7:52.790
Ryk 7:53.015
GTsail290 7:53.228
MustangManiac 7:53.387
Machinehead 7:54.148
Giulietta73 7:56.969
cbcvabch 8:03.896
Woodski_427 8:05.599

*N/A* w/o Supercharger
MadMax86 7:53.113
NCRthree 7:59.975
Lewis_Hamilton_ 8:02.366

Last edited:
First run at this (no restarts required!) gave me 7:52.517, with no engine break in.

Fastest lap was 1:33.331. Replay saved.

Edit: Had a run without the supercharger as well. Finishing time was 8:02.366 on my first attempt, best laps were in the 1:35.7 area. I didn't win this event though, I needed another 3-4 more corners. Replay saved.

This track is far easy to deal with the AI on, only a few corners that they can hold you up on.

Last edited:
Made a couple of runs on this one this afternoon:
7:54.839 / 1:33.796
7:53.387 / 1:33.472

1st run 8.05.922 2nd run 8.03.896

cb-Is that with or without Supercharger?

Gave the N/A a few runs. Got hooked on this run. I know I could bust into the 7's but there's an AI roadblock from the 3rd and 4th place cars.

*N/A* 8:03.277
*N/A* 8:02.716

edit: busted through *N/A* 7:59.975

Last edited:
Well, I must be doing something wrong :lol: Don't know if I'll get more chances to try, but in the hope of encouraging some other entries I will post my time (first clean run):

8:12.148

I've done five runs at Deep Forest.

My best so far was a very nice 7:53.406:)

Its a nice challenge, though I feel that my Mini is a little under-tyred for the event.

In an effort to be fast, I'm constantly smoking the tires!:guilty:

If the Challenge lasted 10 laps, I would have no tires left!:ill:

Enjoy the forest!
GTsail

Last edited:
Well, I must be doing something wrong :lol: Don't know if I'll get more chances to try, but in the hope of encouraging some other entries I will post my time (first clean run):

8:12.148

What PP value does your Mini have?

Did you purchase the supercharger and change the oil on your Mini?

After the above items, my '05 Mini had a PP value of 421. After some additional break-in miles, it now has a PP value of 423.

I ran 3/1 B/B. You can probably go higher as it barely locks up on cold tires.

I tried the brake/balance at both 3/1 and 4/2, and found that I was slightly faster at 4/2. I've done very little driving with ABS at zero, so it may be all psychological!:lol:

Enjoy the forest!
GTsail

Yeah GTsail, no doubt a higher B/B can be run with SRF. If you haven't done much ABS off driving, SRF really adds a buffer. It eliminates almost all warm tire lock up.

For reference, I've run these MINI's stock with Comfort Hard's at 2/1 without SRF.

Faff - Ran the car right from Rome -

(I know now it is the wrong car - )

but it had an extra horse it seemed. (176bhp/398pp)
First one was slow and a fail as I went for a pass, into the final tunnel trailed two - erm - Minis and I got boxed in and earned a trip to the stewards.
1m35.5 - 8m01.7 (Impact) 5.3seconds down in 3rd)

Repeated as I needed to get a clean run and my lines in the car needed alot of work, I was running very wide in the Sylvan Glade bit after the first split.

1m34.605 - 7m56.91 (1.16s down in 2nd) (2007 - NA - CS)

More time to find - The final corner is a bit yucky as the SRF seemed to let you get away with murder on the turn in .

But I need to buy a fresh Mini from 2005- and a Blower and some Spiritualist Comfort tyres (You told me they were a Medium.)

More later!

Stay thirsty my friends

Last edited:
Heh,heh! Glad you're doing some runs Ryk. Always get a big kick out of your race reports. We're going to be super casual here, so now worries about the hp you run. I just posted like that so it looked like I knew what I was doing.

I liked the 05 much better than the 07 so a different track was in order. I gave the '11 a little test drive around Eiger last night, man that's a little screamer. PD gave it a better soundtrack, it's a yummy car.

What PP value does your Mini have?

Did you purchase the supercharger and change the oil on your Mini?

After the above items, my '05 Mini had a PP value of 421. After some additional break-in miles, it now has a PP value of 423.

Sadly there's nothing wrong with the car, the problem is between the chair and controller :dopey:. My Mini is now on 422pp, I was running wide alot, going too fast into corners chasing AI Minis, I've toned it down a bit and made an improvement (see below).

I tried the brake/balance at both 3/1 and 4/2, and found that I was slightly faster at 4/2. I've done very little driving with ABS at zero, so it may be all psychological!:lol:

It's not psychological - 4/2 will give you better stopping power although 3/1 is adequate for the Mini on this track (judging by NCRthree's times!). I was using 5/2 to start with but changed to 4/2 (DS3). When you move on to faster cars you'll probably find you need to start going up to 5/6 at front. When get to a 4wd or MR though, they tend to snap oversteer under braking so I quite often use 1 at the rear.

Update (3rd clean run): 8:05.599

I've completed three more runs and used up another set of the comfort medium tyres!:guilty:

Just a little improvement, so I think I'm done.

My best time is now 7:53.228

I had a bad moment on my second-to-last run, where I got the braking all wrong going into turn one, and ended up on the grass on the inside of the turn drifting side-ways!:crazy: Not the best line thru the corner!:dopey:

Great fun!
GTsail

So far I got:
1. 8:11.1, 13.4 sec out, DQ
2. 8:04.1, 7.5 sec out, DQ
3. 7:58.9, 2.7 sec out, DQ
4. 7:58.9, 3.2 sec out, DQ
On my fifth run I was feeling good, and set a lap record of 1:34.6, but just slammed into the back of an opponent coming way too slow out of a turn. Will try again tomorrow.

I'm struggling to adjust my style to abs 0 and it's only srf that's keeping me on the track. The best I could manage was 8.05 and a bit (sorry didn't note the exact time, but it hardly matters). Good fun though. I'll have another go when I've finished with the new TT.

Okay - only a quick run here.

Bought car.
(Black Eye Purple...)

I then painted it in Midnight Purple Part 3
Then fitted "Union Jack" wheels and painted them white to complete the "Cadbury Dairy Milk" look.
Oil in ... 162-170bhp and 387-394PP
Then a trip to the Tuner bit...
Fresh tyres - Comfy Meds.
And a Bolt-on Blower... 170- 203 bhp 394-421pp (421pp - that is used RX7 levels of performance.)

To the track
To the Deep!

Got to the track - ripepd the elctronics - adjusted the Brakes (3/2) Fitted the tyres - everything good - SRF jammed on.

Took to the track - engine note was a bit plain (Not Milk Chocolate.) I ran afte the cars. but I didn't feel that fast, the car was a bit vague into the corners... But as the laps ticked by I got more racey - and found the limit... and ran the big corners on the stabiliser driver aids... Seems very strange to chuck a car into a corner with way too much and then let the SRF sort of automatically balance the car - If I keep it up I will learn very bad habits.

1m34.221 - 7m56.409 (2nd place by 0.53)
I guess more time as the first laps I was well within the limit of the car - and the last couple of laps I was driving like a nutter. I felt after one lap I was never going to get the win, but a good draft and polite AI cars who were not really in the way once I had got through lap 1.

Weak corners? The big right at the bottom of the gorge blind apex, exit has the cliff on the right. I have not got this corner figured out and it is a critical one, a few MPH more on exit helps you all the way up that hill - And if you muff it up... you are slow... if you overcook it you are a modern art masterpiece addorning that cliff face.

Made all the more easier with some 'Dominic' in a Mini One pootling about like he has a boot full of Gold Bullion slowing him down.

Need to repeat - ANy tips on when to change gear and such... I noticed the previous car had a really thick torque slab, With a Supercharger I guess there maybe something to gain with higher gears and lower revs at certain points, rather than swapping gears at the top end of the revs.

Gah got the Italian Job music in my head now... (Original)

Going with the boost now which threw off my brake zones a bit. Bought a dandy Purple one too. First run was 7:54.319. The hold up was my field had a pair that seemed to be sight seeing together. A red and a yellow duo that always were in the wrong place. I remember them from Rome. One lap I made a daring weave through them but lost it with a wild grassy crash. Their expressions were priceless, ahem...

After a few overly wild (failed) pass attempts I settled with a clean 7:52.854 for now. Kept attempting a pass on the #11 car/lap 1 before the tunnel just to see if it was possible. Noop, best to wait and swing by but for some reason I want that pass, dam-it.

I'm just boiling the tires. FWD's and me don't get along so I abuse the little varmits. I'm going back for more, love the smoky replays. But yeah, that weird set before the uphill straight and rock wall is where the time is. I'm trying to keep a steady pace through there in 3rd right around 73-75 mph on exit, very easy to lose momentum. Riding the curb in the last turn entering around 89-90, hold it steady and draft.

Edit: Restarted so many dirty laps and then began losing time. No wonder dropped to 420pp. Oil change and up to 424. Tried Ryk's 3/2 B/B. Now it rotates! Knocked out a 7:52.121 first lap with that B/B.

Last edited:
Ah, get out of the way you jerk!
Can't seem to properly make that second last pass on the final turn of lap 4 properly. Ruined two consecutive runs that ended up in the 7:53 range.
I guess I'll have to finish it tomorrow.

Best lap 1:33.7
5. 7:56.3, 0.7 sec out, DQ
6. 7:53.9, 2.0 sec up, DQ
7. 7:53.6, 1.8 sec up, DQ

Edit: Also I was wondering if anyone was making there first pass at the concrete before the first tunnel (two wheels inbounds) because I never have, and as a result have to wait two whole turns before passing, but I know it can be done at least some of the time as I've easily had the opportunity, but blown it because I wasn't ready for it.

Last edited:
Machinehead- I've made that pass a couple times but it was really, really tight. It's so tempting, he's just asking to get pushed aside! Best for me to get tight behind him, then blast through on his right gaining momentum up the hill. Although after an oil change, I ducked inside after the tunnel. Looks like you've got some fast runs though, nice!

A very much underrated and very technical track. Found the 3, 4, 5th corner complex a nightmare with manual shifting - made difficult by not cutting across the concrete:tup:
One time I got first overtake done just before the tunnel but I screwed up elsewhere and couldn't repeat it:banghead:

A rare clean got me: 7.56.969 - nearly got you Ryk!! But not quite.

Finished up to get a final time of 7:54.148. Could do better, but, once again, it's time to move on.
That tenth run was so close, just barely grazed a wall. Also on tenth run I had to make that second last pass on the final turn of lap 4 again, drove through with reckless abandon, and by pure crazy luck I ended up squeezing by on the outside of the exit. Successfully made the early first pass once or twice, didn't mean a whole lot over 5 laps though.

Best lap 1:33.4
5. 7:56.3, 0.7 sec out, DQ
6. 7:53.9, 2.0 sec up, DQ
7. 7:53.6, 1.8 sec up, DQ
8. 7:54.148, 1.6 sec up, clean
9. 7:52.776, ? up, DQ
10. 7:52.818, 2.2 sec up, DQ

Three goes today.

1m34.221 - 7m56.409 2nd by 0.53?s
1m34.6?? - 7m56.401 2nd by 0.7??s

Then I ran a final third time. I had been held up in previous races - doesn't take much for a car to be in the wrong place. I also changed the way I took the final corner - kept it in 5th, and a slow steady smooth entry - full beans and drift it out to clip the curb pretty late...

(Edit - If you are smooth here - you can be running about 92-93mph. Every smidge of speed you keep here helps you all along that long camel hump stright - If you are going to get any corner right... this is the one to do it on.)

The AI will run out wide to the right... then "bounce" back to the centre of the track - And leave a gap wide enough for a car to pass clean on the outside just at the end of the curbs. (Of course if you get the timming wrong you either eat a rear Mini bumper or make a stunning pass... all four wheels inside the white line was the result.

Everywhere else I fudge about. Sylvan glade I run very wide at the start and pootle about before apexing it in near the second tunnel entry... full beans on the dipping straight that follows.

The two big corners that lead to the gorge straight I enjoy but not sure what the ideal line is... run out wide at the Six Elm bit... and sort of coast/lift and just make sure the final corner before the gorge you are on the throttle early and never need to lift (4th gear). I know I don't get on the power as early as I could here as I never feel I run a risk of clipping the cliff face... so I am obviously driving like a Hello Kitty >^,,^<

1m34.016 - 7m53.015 1st by 2.120

I wasn't as happy with this race, mostly as the track wasn't as scuffed up as my previous races... But holding in a higher gear was just the way to go for me.

33.345 - 35.885 - 26.294 - 1m35.524
31.490 - 35.928 - 26.657 - 1m34.075
31.377 - 36.018 - 26.621 - 1m34.016
31.544 - 36.275 - 26.777 - 1m34.596
31.595 - 36.340 - 26.869 - 1m34.804

I made a pass for the lead up the Gorge Straight. at the crest of the hill on the outside - (So unimpeded for the final sector I set a very duff time!)
I had a good run at the start, helpful drafts and commited early passes.

4th lap I saw the lead car on the Gorge Straigh ahead, which was a big motivation of I can win this. (And as you can see from the laps I then drove very Averagely indeed. - 3rd and 4th (They were 2nd and 3rd at the time) were having a scrap, as they were in previous races, but this time I caught them at a good point. One was dealt with at the Down Hill Kink - the next was passed with a full bore pass on the outside at the final turn - It was almost Cole Trickle like...

"Stay flat, there will be a Gap!"

Had a look at the car - 1 win and 36 miles done.

Anyone got any Corner Names for Deep Forest?
I did a few track guides a while ago and I have a few names for here, (Bombhole - six Elm straight, Sylvan Glade, ...)
Does anyone else have any memorable names for this old track.

(Sorry for the Purple Sectors on my times - I know you low pH drivers will be faster than I - Also it was a real pain to get my final lap time and the sector time...)

Last edited:
Ryk
Anyone got any Corner Names for Deep Forest?
I did a few track guides a while ago and I have a few names for here, (Bombhole - six Elm straight, Sylvan Glade, ...)
Does anyone else have any memorable names for this old track.

The last corner is called :censored:hole! Why is it sometimes I can take it at 92mph, other times (mostly) 82mph?:dunce:

A good read Ryk, nice one:tup:

I had been taking the final corner like a Nutjob... all four wheels screaming away huge plumes of smoke. And the SRF would mess about and fudge it.

But I then drove like an adult - brake in a straight line then ease off and turn in, power on through the apex... try to limit the load on those front tyres. I lose time on the way int with an early brake but it is all smooth power through and out.

Had a lot of fun sliding around.
First run: 7'52.790

:)

Latest Posts

Back