CLOSED: POLL: CCCL Competition: Week 47 - Tie

• Thread starter Nato_777
  • 50 comments

Taming of the Spa

• [URL="http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2564/circuitdespafrancorchamxz.jpg"][IMG]http://img17.imagesh

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Primus thank you very much for your critisims, it is always nice to hear a well thought out response to what could have been improved. I was overall quite pleased with how this image turned out but like you said the lack of being able to edit it left me with the areas being underexposed. to be honest, these were the first monochromes I've attempted as the filter never appealed to me very much, I try to have fun with these every week so every week I focus on trying something different.

I've noticed the skills I have gained doing these competitions transfered for the most part to my first dslr I just purchased. I've had it maybe 2 weeks and I am already impressed with how some of the photo's have come out.

Well Ferrari, I loved the color, tones, lighting and use of aperture on your photo. :) I see that you got the curve of the road in the frame as well, which is nice. But, you cut out the long straight at the same time, which would have added more depth to the shot. Perhaps if the camera was to the right a little and panned back towards the car on the left, you would have been able to include more of the stretch. Rule of thirds on this one as well. Other than that, though, and it's a toss up. If there were 16 slots in the poll, yours would have made it, and no doubt, garnered votes.

I'd like to thank you, Primus, for such a great and detailed piece of feedback, not only from me, but from everyone who didn't make the poll, so I will :sly:

THANK YOU!! :D

Will definitely take your advice into account :)

I really expected to see more of Eau Rouge in this competition. It is legendary. In this shot, I like how you utilized a vertical composition, but felt that the color was a little desaturated and you may have fared better with a different shutter speed. Had you used a 1/60, for example, the wheels would have been spinning and there would have been a greater sense of motion in the road. Also, with a long perspective like this, you may have benefited from a different/wider aperture, such as 1, 1.4, 2.0, etc. This would have isolated the front of the Vette more while blurring the back ground to your taste in order to provide a more interesting shot. The lighting in this shot is also a little dim. Lastly, you clipped part of the road out of the left side of the shot, which is a little distracting. It was a nice try, and I think you were on the right track. Just a few adjustments and the picture would have a lot of potential.

thank you. ill try experimenting with these in future comps more

Feedback please!

6797414545_299feb08b2.jpg

feed my back? c:

Nice photo Sir Tuddle! I liked the texture to the road and the sense of motion/speed. I also really liked the yaw of the Vette on the turn, which gives the picture some definite character. The yellow color of the car is beautiful and really compliments the gray sky. I also liked that you used a slightly faster shutter speed, thereby keeping the sense of speed while allowing the wheels to display a little more definition than blur. Was that a 1/250?

That said, you have some problems with color banding/posterization in the sky in conjunction with overexposure. I also think the photo could have benefited from placing the car farther into the lower left corner with a counter-clockwise camera tilt. Using the 16:9 size you would have captured more of the tail end of the road and given the shot a more interesting perspective, especially when combined with a wider aperture (1.0, 1.4, 2.0, etc.), for example. Moreover, the front of the Vette would still retain the great reflections you were able to capture.

Feedback please!

6797414545_299feb08b2.jpg

Nice job Shadow Peter - I liked that you used two cars in the shot. The reflections in the red Vette are nice, and the colors really pop - nice and milky. The paint still looks wet like it's off the showroom floor. This shot has a lot of potential with some minor composition, aperture and lighting adjustments.

First, you probably picked the wrong side to take the picture. The light source is on the other side as evidenced by the shadows cast off the car nearer the camera. As such, your better lighting would have been on the other side of the cars. You would have an easier time adjusting the exposure down rather than up on this unedited shot as a result. Moreover, in order to get the nice tones on this side of the red Vette, you had to increase the exposure, thus bleaching out the sky and rendering the yellow Vette a little too bright. The lighting in this case decreased the realism of the shot.

Also, I probably would have adhered a little more closely to the rule of thirds in this profile shot. It may have made the photo a tad bit more interesting. Additionally, you may have had a better result by changing to a wider aperture, such as 1.0 or 1.4, for example, and focusing in on the closest car. The result would have slightly blurred out the yellow Vette, giving it a greater sense of motion. It would also have blurred out the background more, isolating the subject vehicles and increasing the sense of action.

Last edited:
Nice job Shadow Peter - I liked that you used two cars in the shot. The reflections in the red Vette are nice, and the colors really pop - nice and milky. The paint still looks wet like it's off the showroom floor. This shot has a lot of potential with some minor composition, aperture and lighting adjustments.

First, you probably picked the wrong side to take the picture. The light source is on the other side as evidenced by the shadows cast off the car nearer the camera. As such, your better lighting would have been on the other side of the cars. You would have an easier time adjusting the exposure down rather than up on this unedited shot as a result. Moreover, in order to get the nice tones on this side of the red Vette, you had to increase the exposure, thus bleaching out the sky and rendering the yellow Vette a little too bright. The lighting in this case decreased the realism of the shot.

Like this??:

6797415621_3794a507cd.jpg

Also, I probably would have adhered a little more closely to the rule of thirds in this profile shot. It may have made the photo a tad bit more interesting. Additionally, you may have had a better result by changing to a wider aperture, such as 1.0 or 1.4, for example, and focusing in on the closest car. The result would have slightly blurred out the yellow Vette, giving it a greater sense of motion. It would also have blurred out the background more, isolating the subject vehicles and increasing the sense of action.

I'm a little bit against the effects. lol (except for some) I base myself in more realism.

Thanks for feedback, Primus. :)

I was more or less just saying that the better lighting was on the other side of the cars and that you would have had an easier time getting a good exposure if you had taken the photograph from the opposite side with your back to the sun, but your photo here has much better exposure than the first. I like it. 👍

Regarding use of different aperture, this would be considered a technique, not necessarily an effect, per se. I believe that good use of aperture can actually enhance realism, rather than detract from it. Let me give you a good example. I hope Ceiling Fan doesn't mind, but I swiped one of his photos to illustrate both aperture as well as rule of thirds:

6767586895_8b10c5b64b.jpg

I hope you will agree, but this photo looks pretty real. In this case, the subject car is proportionately spaced near the bottom left corner and Ceiling Fan has utilized an open aperture to isolate the car, provide a little more definition, and blur out the surrounding environment. It looks like Ceiling fan also decreased the exposure a little bit as well and added some grain, which you wouldn't have been able to do in this unedited comp, but I'm willing to bet the photo would still have been pretty realistic without it.

Nevertheless ShadowPeter, take my advice/criticism for what it is. I think you're doing great work and style is pretty subjective. Keep up the great work and continue having fun with photomode. :)

I just want to give a huge SHOUT OUT to Primus Ortus for the time and effort he has put into each and every critique that has been requested of him. Thank you Primus for your (above the call of duty) indepth reviews and advice, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say it is greatly appreciated. 👍 :bowdown: :)

" just so you know, I am an attorney, loopholes are my specialty."
CCCL week 45 winner, accomplished photomoder/lawyer Primus Ortus (latin for huge mentor) is declared "Judge" for week 47!

ALL RISE

In the trial case of CCCL theme Corvette ZR1 vs. Sps-Francorchamps, the evidane have been admitted, defendants identified and the jury sequestered.

Objections overruled with thoughtful deliberation in chambers by his Honor, delivering due process, pro bono, to all plaintiff depositions containing allegations or arguments pleading probable cause and seeking counsel.

As witness to this testimony I must plead guilty to the argument without appeal, prosecute, sentance, but kindly acquit.

Final verdict to be rendered by judiciary votes as instructed, please vow an oath to observe fiduciary ethics.

Precident set, no habeas corpus!

:lol: thanks Primus O for a fun comp :gtpflag:

W. :D

Last edited:
Haaaa! Nice one. :lol: But really, pro bono? Show me the money! Just kidding. To quote a long forgotten judge of the 18th century Court of Chancery in England and Wales, "Quid infernum dixisti?" Which loosely translated means, "What in the [lower abyss] did you just say?" :D

Only one more day until the poll closes! If you haven't voted, do it! It is your Civic duty! (Oh man, that would work great if we had a Honda Civic for the theme...note to self...) :gtpflag:

What a judge!
Great compliments to you Primus Ortus.
In this poll you just executed sort of benchmark.
I guess in real life you must be a judge, too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back