CLOSED POLL: The GT Sport Photo Mode Competition 11 (W: Brad Pinhorn)

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 25 comments

THEME: Deliberate Focus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipZtrEm

can't kick this feeling
Staff Emeritus
Canada
Toronto
NewAesthetic
SlipZtrEm
Gran-Turismo-Sport-Ferrari-512BB-FerrellJ.jpg

GTS PMC 09 Winner: @FerrellJ - (click for full-size)

This Week's Theme
Allow me the opportunity to get personal this week: I love a good artistic theme. This week's judge, @FerrellJ, has provided just that with "Deliberate Focus". Read on:

"The locations in GT Sport contain a lot of details besides just the cars on track. Photo mode provides an incredibly accurate simulation of real camera controls, allowing you to adjust focal length, shutter speed and aperture as you would on a real camera. Time to leverage those elements and compose a shot in which something besides a car is your primary subject. Here's the catch though- a car (or some part of it) still has to be somewhere in the frame."

CARS: Any
LIVERIES: Any
LOCATIONS: Any
SCAPES: Yes
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS: The subject of the photo can not be a car but a car must still be somewhere in the frame

Competition Rules

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this poll. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.
  • The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here.
  • Do not vote for your own entry.
  • Do not try to sway the poll.
  • Please, view each image in its full size, before voting.
  • In the event of a tie, a 24H tiebreaker poll will be posted. All contestants in the tiebreaker are asked to vote; if one person doesn't, all other contestants votes won't count.
Poll Options

Poll Option #01

Poll Option #02

Poll Option #03

Poll Option #04

Poll Option #05

Poll Option #06

Poll Option #07

Poll Option #08

Poll Option #09

Poll Option #10

Poll Option #11

Poll Option #12

Poll Option #13

Poll Option #14

Poll Option #15

Poll Option #16

Poll Option #17

Poll Option #18

Poll Option #19

Poll Option #20

Poll Option #21

Poll Option #22

Poll Option #23

Poll Option #24

Poll Option #25

Poll Option #26

Poll Option #27

Poll Option #28

Poll Option #29

Poll Option #30

Deadline

March 19, 2018

Well that’s embarrassing. :boggled: First time I’ve not made the poll. Kinda shocked considering I thought my entry was really strong and a lot of people seemed to like it.

@FerrellJ could you provide some insight as to why you chose to exclude it from your top 30? (It’s the picture of the cracked ground with the Ford GT)

Well that’s embarrassing. :boggled: First time I’ve not made the poll. Kinda shocked considering I thought my entry was really strong and a lot of people seemed to like it.

@FerrellJ could you provide some insight as to why you chose to exclude it from your top 30? (It’s the picture of the cracked ground with the Ford GT)

I'd like to know too when some of these pictures aren't even discernible...

Sure. It mainly came down to the fact that my eyes were drawn predominantly to the car every time I looked at the photo and it was difficult to tell what the subject was supposed to be otherwise. I think it might have done more for me had you been able to zoom in tighter and shown the car maybe just in the water reflection, but I'm not sure that scape allows you to position the car in such a way or if it allows a tighter zoom- the fact that you're right at 96.0 mm makes me think it can't, which is unfortunate.

It was frustrating having to decide which last few to cut and yours was among them. Overall, I genuinely liked the composition of the shot more than some of the shots I included, it's just that I think some of the other shots fit the theme a little better. I spent a long time debating which shots to keep- constantly second guessing myself. The poll wasn't going to wait forever though so I had to make the call at some point...

Choosing a poll is always tough! Especially with creative shots like this week :bowdown:

Saying that, I'm surprised mine made it :embarrassed:

Great theme and great entries this week!

And always nice to see some honest and genuine feedback as to why some entries haven't made it :)

Good luck everyone!

@FerrellJ coudl you provide some insight on why mine didn’t make the cut. Just for reference purposes. I really want to learn I guess.

My picture was of the one sitting in the cockpit looking at the sign on Bathurst.

Didn't make it :( too bad, maybe next time. Some awesome shots there, good luck everyone!

@FerrellJ coudl you provide some insight on why mine didn’t make the cut. Just for reference purposes. I really want to learn I guess.
On that one, it was just far too familiar of a view- looking straight out the cockpit with a similar fov as we have when playing. I think zooming in more on a subject not directly in front of the car would have helped.

Didn't make it :( too bad, maybe next time.
I think I have some feedback for your entry too, if you want it. Just need to test something when I get home first. In general though, I think that shot was too static when it felt like there should have been a lot of movement. I'm just not sure how the panning modes handle things like cones launched into a low earth orbit. You've got me wanting to test that out...

I think I have some feedback for your entry too, if you want it. Just need to test something when I get home first. In general though, I think that shot was too static when it felt like there should have been a lot of movement. I'm just not sure how the panning modes handle things like cones launched into a low earth orbit. You've got me wanting to test that out...
I think I set the shutter to the lowest speed possible, but then I may not remember well...should have used the panning mode 1, that would've made it less static, but then again I liked the cone being in mid-air without too much of a motion effect. At least it was useful for something xD probably should have gone with the other "Lambo+Cone at Maggiore" pic I was undecided with. I'll probably post it in my photomode gallery here soon, in case you want to take a look at it...every advice is always welcome. :)

I think I set the shutter to the lowest speed possible, but then I may not remember well...
Based on the EXIF data, it looks like you did, though I'm not sure it would have mattered- the game doesn't appear to treat trackside objects the same as it does cars. It seemingly acts as though the object (in this case, a cone) is not moving so the camera won't pan or track with the object like it does with the cars, which sucks.

Some other insights that I thought of while testing that (which I thought might be of interest to others as well- this isn't intended to be a specific critique of your entry. It just provided some surprisingly good examples, considering the subject is a simple cone): You went with a pretty wide angle FOV- that being the case, bringing the car much closer would have conveyed a greater sense of speed (as with the picture that you uploaded to your gallery today).
Example:

Even with your original framing though, I think just using a lower f-stop might have made it more interesting by blurring the car a bit. That in and of itself implies meaning. Like here, there's kind of a sense that the cone has no idea what's about to hit it:

The same trick applied to your photo might have given the impression that the cone just got its world rocked while the Lambo carries on without a care. With the Lambo in focus as much as it was though, the photo sort of felt indifferent, like it was just showing an objective picture of what had happened.

A longer lens, on the other hand, lets you "stack" more elements into the frame. And because your subject is a bright orange cone, you don't really need to worry it getting lost in the mix.

None of this is to say any of the pictures were objectively "wrong". I don't want to sound like I'm some art critic- there are just certain things that appeal to me and going through having to cut entries for the poll forced me to really try and figure out what I liked about some that I didn't see in others. It would have been easier to just select a top 10 but I don't think I would have had to put as much thought into it. I'm definitely fallible though- I may not have seen the appeal in some of the pictures because I didn't know what to look for. I'd actually be curious to hear what some people were going for in the entries that didn't make the cut. Maybe I'm just ignorant for missing it or maybe others can provide input on how to better convey the intended meaning.

Crap, that's a lot of text... All because of a stupid cone. :lol:

Last edited:
Crap, that's a lot of text... All because of a stupid cone. :lol:
How many cones die daily in Sport mode races, with nobody caring about them? Everyone's always thinking about penalties, rammers, DR and SR, but think of all the cones near the first corner of Monza...at least, you gave them some respect :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for the insight, the world of photography is a complete unknown world to me, the most I've done is snap pictures with my old camera, or my smartphone, both of which had close to zero settings. I'll try to learn from your advice, and hopefully do better in the future :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back