Clutch simulation

• Thread starter Rhino_WJB
  • 30 comments

Rhino_WJB

Premium
United Kingdom
Leeds, UK
Rhino_WJB
With the consistent progression towards a more realistic driving experience in Gran Turismo, it should be important that the manual clutch simulation improves accordingly.

More users than ever have access to 3 pedal control set-ups, and GT's current clutch model, in my opinion, has significant room for improvement.

Last edited:
I might "Like" this if I had an appreciation of the limitations of the current implementation. I have a 3 pedal wheel (G27), but embarrassingly, I have yet to use the clutch pedal! :dunce:

Rhino, could you spell it out a little more?

In what way? I would say a more accurate clutch biting simulation is needed just like in Assetto Corsa. If you haven't played it, its really good in my opinion (feels so natural). What else do you think could be improved about the way the clutch is simulated?

The issue is the same in GT6 as it was in GT5, being that if any throttle input is made during a shift, the box slips to Neutral. It is hugely frustrating and forces the user to re-shift repeatedly until a drive gear is finally engaged.

The issue is the same in GT6 as it was in GT5, being that if any throttle input is made during a shift, the box slips to Neutral. It is hugely frustrating and forces the user to re-shift repeatedly until a drive gear is finally engaged.
I thought it was me? Drove me crazy too (using a G27 as well) wound up not using the clutch pedal - just the shifter.

I might "Like" this if I had an appreciation of the limitations of the current implementation. I have a 3 pedal wheel (G27), but embarrassingly, I have yet to use the clutch pedal! :dunce:

Rhino, could you spell it out a little more?

"With the consistent progression towards a more realistic driving experience in Gran Turismo, it should be important that the manual clutch simulation improves accordingley.

More users than ever have access to 3 pedal control set-ups, and GT's current clutch model, in my opinion, has significant room for improvement." -Rhino_WJB

Ironic to the first post....

Last edited:
I am one of the few that like it and can use it as is.

But I do think it needs settings to adjust the degree of difficulty/timing strictness.
Similar to driving aids such as SRF, or like steering aids for some wheels such as active steering.

And that the settings should be filterable for online events, and show up in Leader Boards.

"Fix the clutch issue!"
"What's the clutch issue?"
"If you use the throttle..."​

:banghead:

Please give us the option to remove the throttle axis checks when selecting a gear, first and foremost.
(It doesn't "slip to neutral", it simply stays there after you deselected the previous gear).

Secondly, overhaul the gear selection logic as it stands. If the stick is in the 2nd gear position, but the game isn't in 2nd gear, just assume we still want 2nd gear and keep trying until we get the other controls in the right place as well.

Finally, please make the clutch as progressive on the way down as it is on the way back up. We can wait for a drivetrain physics / modeling overhaul if that's what it takes.

This is an utter necessity. While you can adapt to a degree, one missed gear under pressure can (and will) cost you a race. If they can just make there be a slight delay before the new gear engages to punish the mis shift, we'd have a decent compromise.

I get the feeling however that the clutch may be next in line for a big overhaul at some point. We got suspension and tyre models, maybe Exedy could provide clutch support?

We should be able to use it exactly like a real car. We should be able to drift while using clutch, and do it better than paddle shifters, like in real life. I don't see why they need to punish the clutch user. Just make it so you can't flat shift and gain an advantage over a user using a triple plate clutch.. or whatever that best flywheel/clutch upgrade is called. The one that makes shifting fastest.

I haven't used it yet, but wouldn't it just slow you down anyways. I know it might feel more realistic, but I think it will just make you lose a vital few hundredths of a second.

This is the most important issue for me.

Massive lag between the 1st and 2nd when starting from a stop, which leads to failing a lot of gears.

You don't need clutch to disengage gear - if you don't press the clutch when disengaging gear a sort of penalty should be applied. (Damage, slower gear shift, not disengaging gear, etc)

You can't press the accelerator while you haven't fully released the clutch when changing gear or else the car goes into neutral. (It makes me fail so many gears, it's annoying). Curiously, you need to this to not make the car stall when starting from a stop, as you would need in a real car (at least in slow gas cars, due to low torque at idle)

And a bit extra: information about how the real car can be driven would be useful (only At?, has paddles?, only stick semi-auto?, only manual?, some mix?), it's annoying and sometimes truly hard to find the info on the net.

BWX
It doesn't work with upgraded trans.. that's for sure. Not sure about seasonals.

Ok, thanks.

Having tested further, clutch does not work on the Elise challenge (with the Race Car at least), but does on the Diablo.

I haven't used it yet, but wouldn't it just slow you down anyways. I know it might feel more realistic, but I think it will just make you lose a vital few hundredths of a second.

Not quite. Most of the GT6 cars that would have an auto transmission IRL are going to shift slower than a manual transmission with someone (like me) who isn't that concerned with damage to their POS Camry, and can shift it as quick as they want.

A little timing and 1/2 inch of pedal travel and you'll be quick shifting too!

note: the more hp you have the more violent the "quick shift" becomes, ask my old mustang how I know lol

I'd really like love to see a forza 4 esque clutch for us DS3 users; it really helps with immersion level of the game to me. It was so nice to grab that clutch on the way out of a turn in my stock Corvette ZO6, bring the revs up an extra 500-1000 rpm to break the rear loose; I'm also tired of using the e-brake to max rev launch the car during drag racing!

On a side note, they should also create a penalty when you ping off the Rev limiter when sitting still, having to actually balance your throttle to launch you car would add a great deal of realism to drag racing, if would also make people weigh the benefits of that racing flywheel, a slower raving engine would be less difficult to launch properly and consistently.

The clutch definitely needs to be improved.

Last edited:
I haven't tried other sims, but just comparing ETS2's clutch with GT6's, makes me not want to touch GT ever again. Even Forza does it better... with a controller. Heck, even the forgotten NFS Pro-Street!

To build on this, I think there should be an option for races (similar to slipstream or traction on wet surfaces) for each car to use realistic assists/transmissions, including the ability to map the clutch to a button on the controller. Or, ideally, I'd just have that be the default, instead of being able to turn on/off assists for any and every car, or switch between MT/AT transmission for all cars via the options menu.

I think it'd at a lot of personality to the cars if each car's transmission and assists behaved more like that in reality, like how I heard the Ferrari 458 is surprisingly an AT, or how the McLaren F1 came without TCS. I don't want to have to switch between AT/MT in a menu depending on the car that I'm in - I'd really prefer it to naturally depend on the car itself. That said, I'd also offer the option to install parts so you could still use certain assists or transmission types one might prefer, like upgrading a typical manual (i.e. with a clutch) to a one that's a sequential.

Last edited:
To build on this, I think there should be an option for races (similar to slipstream or traction on wet surfaces) for each car to use realistic assists/transmissions, including the ability to map the clutch to a button on the controller. Or, ideally, I'd just have that be the default, instead of being able to turn on/off assists for any and every car, or switch between MT/AT transmission for all cars via the options menu.

I think it'd at a lot of personality to the cars if each car's transmission and assists behaved more like that in reality, like how I heard the Ferrari 458 is surprisingly an AT, or how the McLaren F1 came without TCS. I don't want to have to switch between AT/MT in a menu depending on the car that I'm in - I'd really prefer it to naturally depend on the car itself. That said, I'd also offer the option to install parts so you could still use certain assists or transmission types one might prefer, like upgrading a typical manual (i.e. with a clutch) to a one that's a sequential.
I believe this was a feature in GT2, correct?

Back