Cobra's '04 Mach 1 Mustang

Which car to buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bit later than promised but here are photos of my new exhaust system.

2" pipes from front to rear with 3" tailpipes.

I have a video of the sound but I can't upload it to here as flickr videos aren't allowed. I can PM it to someone if they'd be kind enough to upload it for me?

Bit later than promised but here are photos of my new exhaust system.

2" pipes from front to rear with 3" tailpipes.

I have a video of the sound but I can't upload it to here as flickr videos aren't allowed. I can PM it to someone if they'd be kind enough to upload it for me?
Send it to me I can host it via youtube.

Love the pipes! Very similar to the foxbody's:
DSC06284.jpg

Love everything about this car, really. What year is it? Dammit I want a Capri now!

It will require some extra adjustments, I've noticed that the tailpipes don't sit level, one sits around 2cm lower than the other so will be getting that sorted.

It will require some extra adjustments, I've noticed that the tailpipes don't sit level, one sits around 2cm lower than the other so will be getting that sorted.
That's not too bad, I know people that have had them way off.

Here's a brief update for you guys;

Currently enjoying her being back on the road this summer. Current plans are to sort the bodywork and buy some upgraded brakes.

I recently went to the Donington Historic Festival and was able to take part in the car club parade. I received some photos from a photographer from a magazine, however I cannot post them up as of yet.

Just after I came off the track from the parade, I met a photographer from the Classic Car Weekly magazine who took a photo of my car and another MK1 Capri with a few owners stood beside them. They ended up in said magazine and I've been able to acquire this photo;

Needless to say that this is now my screensaver.

Hello there, SVT. I couldn't help but to stop by and extensively praise your Capri. I do adore Capris, especially the later ones. The fact that a recent Classic Ford Magazine featured a Capri 280 "Brookie" (that's the diminutive of "Brooklands", mind you) doesn't really help me forget about them.

On that note, your car looks really good. The twin pipes at the back make it look more 'Murican, but somehow it still fits the car really well. The Capri is the British Mustang after all, so... Also, that orange Capri in your latest picture... Wouldn't that happen to be a X-Pack-equipped, V8-powered Capri?

Hello there, SVT. I couldn't help but to stop by and extensively praise your Capri. I do adore Capris, especially the later ones. The fact that a recent Classic Ford Magazine featured a Capri 280 "Brookie" (that's the diminutive of "Brooklands", mind you) doesn't really help me forget about them.

On that note, your car looks really good. The twin pipes at the back make it look more 'Murican, but somehow it still fits the car really well. The Capri is the British Mustang after all, so... Also, that orange Capri in your latest picture... Wouldn't that happen to be a X-Pack-equipped, V8-powered Capri?

Why thank you for those kinds words! I do keep up to date with the Classic Ford Magazine and they did feature a 280 Brooklands which I believe had an engine change to a 2.9 Cosworth V6.

I had the exhausts custom made and did take inspiration from the Fox Body Mustangs and the tips are cut off at an angle, thus giving it an element of individuality. They sound awesome as well, makes the V6 sound like it should do!

As for the orange Capri pictured, it is indeed a V8 engined X Pack. I know the guy who built it, he doesn't live too far from me and he also owns a stunning red 3.0S Capri! The orange one is running a 302 Windsor unit with a T5 gearbox from a Fox Body Mustang, plus many other different changes, the interior is black and orange leather as well. It sounds awesome and it was also featured in the Classic Ford Magazine lately and appeared on the "Street Fighter" stand at this years Classic Ford Show.

Why thank you for those kinds words! I do keep up to date with the Classic Ford Magazine and they did feature a 280 Brooklands which I believe had an engine change to a 2.9 Cosworth V6.

I had the exhausts custom made and did take inspiration from the Fox Body Mustangs and the tips are cut off at an angle, thus giving it an element of individuality. They sound awesome as well, makes the V6 sound like it should do!

As for the orange Capri pictured, it is indeed a V8 engined X Pack. I know the guy who built it, he doesn't live too far from me and he also owns a stunning red 3.0S Capri! The orange one is running a 302 Windsor unit with a T5 gearbox from a Fox Body Mustang, plus many other different changes, the interior is black and orange leather as well. It sounds awesome and it was also featured in the Classic Ford Magazine lately and appeared on the "Street Fighter" stand at this years Classic Ford Show.

Why thank you for the kind answer, sir. But if I remember correctly, wasn't the 280's V6 the normal Cologne V6 that was featured in other last-gen Capris? Just wondering. I don't recall reading about any specific engine changes, not in the "Brookie", at least...

So the pipes not only make it look different, they also make the engine sound better too. I'd call that a double improvement, really. I would love to hear the car in anger, just to see how well it sounds during the driving bits.

Ah, so the owner of the X Pack Capri lives near your area, huh? That is really interesting, and I'm sure that his 3.0S looks the part as well as his orange V8 Capri. Which I find awesome, by the way, as the smoked headlight covers and the Mustang engine really transformed the car into a proper street bruiser, and I adore it for that. The X Pack helps a great deal, mind you. Would it be this car (and car owner), by any chance?

SAM_0704.JPG
SAM_0703.JPG

Why thank you for the kind answer, sir. But if I remember correctly, wasn't the 280's V6 the normal Cologne V6 that was featured in other last-gen Capris? Just wondering. I don't recall reading about any specific engine changes, not in the "Brookie", at least...

So the pipes not only make it look different, they also make the engine sound better too. I'd call that a double improvement, really. I would love to hear the car in anger, just to see how well it sounds during the driving bits.

Ah, so the owner of the X Pack Capri lives near your area, huh? That is really interesting, and I'm sure that his 3.0S looks the part as well as his orange V8 Capri. Which I find awesome, by the way, as the smoked headlight covers and the Mustang engine really transformed the car into a proper street bruiser, and I adore it for that. The X Pack helps a great deal, mind you. Would it be this car (and car owner), by any chance?

View attachment 391931 View attachment 391933

Yes. The 280 Brooklands Capris came with the same Cologne engine as all the other 2.8 Injection models. Perhaps the particular Brooklands I was thinking of in the magazine had it's engine swapped by it's owner. I'm sure I saw it in one of the issues of the same magazine you've posted.

Yes, they make the engine much louder. When it's been given some throttle, between 3-5k rpm it's rather loud, but when it's just idling it makes a really nice deep burble which is what I asked for when the system was being created. The sound is perfect. The YouTube video that's been posted up gives a good idea of what it sounds like but it's best to hear it for yourself.

Yeah, he lives about a 30 minute drive from me. His 3.0S is rather nice, I wouldn't mind having it myself! But I'd prefer his orange X Pack much more. Yep, that's the exact car. I've asked him to build me a V8 Capri and his reponse to me was "wait in line".

Yes. The 280 Brooklands Capris came with the same Cologne engine as all the other 2.8 Injection models. Perhaps the particular Brooklands I was thinking of in the magazine had it's engine swapped by it's owner. I'm sure I saw it in one of the issues of the same magazine you've posted.

Yes, they make the engine much louder. When it's been given some throttle, between 3-5k rpm it's rather loud, but when it's just idling it makes a really nice deep burble which is what I asked for when the system was being created. The sound is perfect. The YouTube video that's been posted up gives a good idea of what it sounds like but it's best to hear it for yourself.

Yeah, he lives about a 30 minute drive from me. His 3.0S is rather nice, I wouldn't mind having it myself! But I'd prefer his orange X Pack much more. Yep, that's the exact car. I've asked him to build me a V8 Capri and his reponse to me was "wait in line".

Huh, is that so... I don't have many Classic Ford Magazine examples, so I can't really confirm that myself. Buying English magazines here is a bit cumbersome, mainly because they are rather costly, haha. :lol: But I'm sure that some have changed the engines in their 280s for something with a bit more grunt, and a Cossie V6 sounds like a fitting replacement engine. Do you have any pictures of the Capri 280 you're mentioning?

I wish I could be there to hear the car in person, I'm sure it's a whole different monster when you are standing next to it. The burble seems to be nice indeed, almost muscle car-like. In essence, you have a Capri V6 with half of a muscle car soundtrack. A nice combination, really.

A 30 minute drive? Wow, that is lucky. And I guess that when you have such a good car in your hands, many people want to have one in their own driveways. I don't blame them, really, Dean's X-Pack is truly "the car you always promised yourself". And it's one hell of a good starting point... Now, many will probably take inspiration from that Capri, and build their own personal X-Pack cars.

For reference, here's the buying guide for the Capri 280 "Brookie" that is featured in the Classic Ford magazine I own:

SAM_0705.JPG
SAM_0706.JPG

Pfft, kids stuff. This is what you need:

l4VdTl.jpg

Took this two weeks ago at a hillclimb even. Built by a guy I know called Nigel (I branded his company), but not street legal and very loud. :D

Huh, is that so... I don't have many Classic Ford Magazine examples, so I can't really confirm that myself. Buying English magazines here is a bit cumbersome, mainly because they are rather costly, haha. :lol: But I'm sure that some have changed the engines in their 280s for something with a bit more grunt, and a Cossie V6 sounds like a fitting replacement engine. Do you have any pictures of the Capri 280 you're mentioning?

I wish I could be there to hear the car in person, I'm sure it's a whole different monster when you are standing next to it. The burble seems to be nice indeed, almost muscle car-like. In essence, you have a Capri V6 with half of a muscle car soundtrack. A nice combination, really.

A 30 minute drive? Wow, that is lucky. And I guess that when you have such a good car in your hands, many people want to have one in their own driveways. I don't blame them, really, Dean's X-Pack is truly "the car you always promised yourself". And it's one hell of a good starting point... Now, many will probably take inspiration from that Capri, and build their own personal X-Pack cars.

For reference, here's the buying guide for the Capri 280 "Brookie" that is featured in the Classic Ford magazine I own:

View attachment 391940 View attachment 391941

I see. The 280 I'm talking about was featured in the May 2015 issue. Here's the only photo I could find.
classic-ford-may-2015.gif

Yes, the burble was essential for me. A lot of 2.8i owners install Janspeed or Sportex exhausts on them but I wanted something different and that sounded better than both and I do think mine sounds much better.
Yeah, Dean's X Pack really is one of the ultimate Capris, Ford should have really built something like that back in the day.

I see... I have to search for some extra information regarding the Cossie Capri 280, it is a very interesting idea. And it still looks stock, which is lovely.

And I guess you wanted to be a bit different with the exhausts, but your own setup does work really well, so there is that. It's always a plus.

I agree with you as well regarding the X-Pack Capri, Ford could've (and should've) done it, imagine all the profit and the great car that would be created. Same goes for the Cossie 280, now that would be a true (and great) send-off for the Mk.3 Capri... By the way, @axletramp, while that hillclimb Capri V8 is without a doubt an incredible car, some prefer to have that power available on the road as well as the track. Just saying... :sly:

I see... I have to search for some extra information regarding the Cossie Capri 280, it is a very interesting idea. And it still looks stock, which is lovely.

And I guess you wanted to be a bit different with the exhausts, but your own setup does work really well, so there is that. It's always a plus.

I agree with you as well regarding the X-Pack Capri, Ford could've (and should've) done it, imagine all the profit and the great car that would be created. Same goes for the Cossie 280, now that would be a true (and great) send-off for the Mk.3 Capri... By the way, @axletramp, while that hillclimb Capri V8 is without a doubt an incredible car, some prefer to have that power available on the road as well as the track. Just saying... :sly:

I'm sure you'll be able to find out some more information on it. It looked a relatively stock 280 when I saw it at the show.
Yeah, I wanted my car to be unique so it stands out among other Capris. The wheel and tyre combo with the exhausts do it rather well.

Ideally they should have carried it on and persevered with it like Ford did with the Mustang. No doubt that today, a Capri would still be popular.

I'm sure you'll be able to find out some more information on it. It looked a relatively stock 280 when I saw it at the show.
Yeah, I wanted my car to be unique so it stands out among other Capris. The wheel and tyre combo with the exhausts do it rather well.

Ideally they should have carried it on and persevered with it like Ford did with the Mustang. No doubt that today, a Capri would still be popular.

Yeah, I'll try to check it out for sure. I like the stock look, makes the car look understated. When in reality, it's a sleeper of a Capri, packed with Cosworth power and ready to give you quite the surprise... As for your Capri, the modifications done are subtle enough to not look tacky, and they suit the car quite well. In the end, the whole combo looks good.

And I agree, if it was possible, Ford should have attempted to create a V8 Capri. If Ford Brazil managed to stick a V8 beneath a Maverick's hood, then I can't really see why didn't Ford England attempt the same...

Yeah, I'll try to check it out for sure. I like the stock look, makes the car look understated. When in reality, it's a sleeper of a Capri, packed with Cosworth power and ready to give you quite the surprise... As for your Capri, the modifications done are subtle enough to not look tacky, and they suit the car quite well. In the end, the whole combo looks good.

And I agree, if it was possible, Ford should have attempted to create a V8 Capri. If Ford Brazil managed to stick a V8 beneath a Maverick's hood, then I can't really see why didn't Ford England attempt the same...

Yeah, sleeper Capris are always awesome! I remember a few years ago I saw what looked like a stock 1983 2.8i Capri with an auto gearbox but it had a small block 350 Chevy V8 under the bonnet! I wanted it so badly!

Yeah exactly! It could have carried on the same as the Mustang and look how that turned out!

Yeah, sleeper Capris are always awesome! I remember a few years ago I saw what looked like a stock 1983 2.8i Capri with an auto gearbox but it had a small block 350 Chevy V8 under the bonnet! I wanted it so badly!

Yeah exactly! It could have carried on the same as the Mustang and look how that turned out!

A Ford Capri with a Chevy small block engine? Not the most common of combinations, but still interesting simply because it must've perfomed like a true muscle car with all that grunt...

Quite. I really don't know what held Ford back in England. Brazil had a much smaller car market at the time of the Maverick, with far more ancient tools, but they still used a 302 V8 to create a Maverick V8. And it wasn't the easiest of tasks, mind you... Of course, most people, thanks to modern technology, can easily correct that mistake.

302 is the way to go, seeing as this was the engine that was planned/offered(?).

Then again, a built V6 ain't that bad if you think about it.

A Ford Capri with a Chevy small block engine? Not the most common of combinations, but still interesting simply because it must've perfomed like a true muscle car with all that grunt...

Quite. I really don't know what held Ford back in England. Brazil had a much smaller car market at the time of the Maverick, with far more ancient tools, but they still used a 302 V8 to create a Maverick V8. And it wasn't the easiest of tasks, mind you... Of course, most people, thanks to modern technology, can easily correct that mistake.

No it's not a common combination but it was really well done! If I ever see it for sale again I'll be certain to buy it!

Ford said at the time they were killing off the Capri due to the rise in popularity of hot hatchbacks. But at the same time, had ford invested more money into developing the Capri with a better chassis set up then it may have been a different story! Yeah with modern technology today things would be much different.

Back