COCKPIT and DASHBOARD VIEWS in GT5!

I'm one in support of in car views. I recently bought GTR2 and the in car views are spectacular, especially at night. I'm very dissapointed by those vociferous against the inclusion. To those I say this, imagine if your favourite external/bumper cam view wasn't in GT4 and in a thread discussing it, others said it shouldn't be in the game. CHOICE is the keyword here, PD shouldn't take away anything. But they MUST include the option for an incar view for those who want it.

PD could learn a lot from the latest PC sims like GTR2, rFactor etc.

Actually there are very few saying it shouldn't be included at all. I'm saying it should be done right or the effort will be wasted. To me, the right way to do it would be to give us the option of viewcam placement and angle. The work on the interior is a noble effort and all, but the view of the road is what matters, and there are very few games which get the road view right. The little letterbox view of the world we get in most racing games is just wrong.

In any case, the interior views we're getting indicates that it will be included, so you shouldn't worry about that.

I don't think there should be any room for disliking an in-car view. Think about it like this- most in-car views normally show you as if you're part of the game. You don't drive a real car from a Chase Cam or Roof Cam, right? Most in-car views provide the sort of realism as if you were actually driving the car. The evolution of video games basically show that more realistic and more detailed games are usually better than previous-generation games. Same can be said for racing games. Nowadays, graphical detail, realism, and stuff like that are all the makings of a great racing game. So for PD to test these waters takes some courage. It would be extremely interesting if PD gets all of this done successfully. Imagine seeing the interiors of 700 or so cars while you're driving them all. Hell, I'd love to imagine what that Nike One futuristic machine would look like on the inside. My only offense with any in-car view is if the in-car view won't allow me to see as much of the road as possible including if I have to contend with stuff like bird droppings or mosquitoes. I'm sure PD probably may not allow that, but it would be wonderful if PD does it all to perfection.

I'm all for interior views as long as it doesn't cut into the car count. If they can still have a ton of cars with the interior view then I'm all for it!

The three screens idea is something you can do in GT4, however for a games console to project a different view on each screen it has to process three times as much information graphically. One console simply cannot cope, so you need three Playstation 2's and three copies of GT4 to make it work, that's what the Subaru simulator machine has inside it, that's what you can do with your home copy of GT4 if you want. And that's what you'd need to do if they included such an option in GT:HD or GT5 because as powerful as the PS3 is going to be, your still talking about trebeling the graphical load of the machine and for it to handle that it would have to be a very sub par game graphically to begin with.

Fair enough. I didn't know that's how that Subaru sim worked. I doubt even the PS3 would have enough power to power three screens at once, but that is probably the only way to get a more relistic view for the player.....despite it being at great expense.

With the second point, that might give an effect, however it would not give you 180 degree vision, your vision would still be tunneled forwards your eyes might jsut be confused a little with the blurring and distorting ofthe camera near the edge of the screen. You could give a kind of fish eye camera option which can give a wider view but they look weird on your TV and distort the picutre somewhat.

That is the problem with that idea, it would still look a bit strange. The fisheye effect might work, but again it would take some getting used to. It seems like there is nothing on the market in the way of hardware that will help to resolve this problem.

What we really need is one large super widesrceen monitor that wraps around in front of you in a arch. That way it will help to give the player a true 180 degree vision..........likelyhood of someone making such a screen...........zero :grumpy:

I don't think there should be any room for disliking an in-car view. Think about it like this- most in-car views normally show you as if you're part of the game. You don't drive a real car from a Chase Cam or Roof Cam, right? Most in-car views provide the sort of realism as if you were actually driving the car. The evolution of video games basically show that more realistic and more detailed games are usually better than previous-generation games. Same can be said for racing games. Nowadays, graphical detail, realism, and stuff like that are all the makings of a great racing game. So for PD to test these waters takes some courage. It would be extremely interesting if PD gets all of this done successfully. Imagine seeing the interiors of 700 or so cars while you're driving them all. Hell, I'd love to imagine what that Nike One futuristic machine would look like on the inside. My only offense with any in-car view is if the in-car view won't allow me to see as much of the road as possible including if I have to contend with stuff like bird droppings or mosquitoes. I'm sure PD probably may not allow that, but it would be wonderful if PD does it all to perfection.

I think this has been mentioned before on another thread, but it seems that a lot of people who don't like the idea of the in car view are people who are too young to drive a real car, so they have no experience of what it's like in real World. This coupled with the fact that video game makers, have been so obessed with improved graphics, they have shy'ed away from doing interiors and focused on the only on exertior views. Now all of a sudden playability is in high demand, and they have to think about putting in interior views, in an effort to increase the realism of a game. Where the exteriors have been perfected over years, interior view (in particaluar the interior view cam) has been neglected somewhat.

The thing I've always proposed is to do some go-kart action. It can range from slow karts at some family center all the way up to Superkarts on a world-class circuit. Think about when you're behind the wheel of a go-kart like I've done before. You have to be able to see the track and everything. It is pretty surprising how people sort of don't feel very comfortable or happy with detailed in-car views. All I'm saying is that stuff like this adds great experience to the general feel of racing a car. Like I've said before, this is a time in which more detailed games are made. The more detail you offer yet retaining all the fun such games can provide, the better the game. Just think of these in-car views as you driving the car. Imagine you are in the game. Watch as what you see is what you get. That is the beauty of this deal. There is a very famous film on getting behind the wheel of cars. It's called "Lap of the Gods." It featured a lap around a lot of race tracks by drivers that is a "who's who" of F1 racing. There are names like Mario Andretti, Eddie Cheever, Alain Prost, and Niki Lauda among many others. You can read more about this deal here: http://www.motorsportcollector.com/LapOfTheGodsDVD.html

Now on to the issue of car counts. I'm basically going to assume that all the cars will be detailed to the max. I don't believe car count should be a problem. You're basically just providing in-car views for certain cars while intensifying the detail of each car. All cars (and more to come) are likely going to get the detailed treatment so you can really know what it's like behind the wheel. Now it's going to be tough in providing a multitude of automobiles and race cars with stunning details. But if PD can pull it all off, then more power to Polyphony Digital. I don't necessarily believe car counts will suffice because of detailed car interiors. It isn't like every car is going to have a one-size-fits-all or one-size-fits-most car interior (you read that, "Pro Race Driver?"). So I wouldn't be too worried. Just think of all the cars in "Project Gotham Racing 3." At least all of them should have in-car views for your enjoyment.

Killed two birds with one stone. How did I do?

You did very well 👍, you make very good points, and yes karts would be very intersting in Gran Turismo.

:) :) :)

big up

for those who undestand french , this is a report of a french tv automobile magazine at polyphony digital and , at 2min30 Kazu show the modeling of a 300sl dashboard and confirm that there is a cokpit view in GT5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsvUC7dW8EQ

hope now some other news at E3 on july...............

Great find! Which I had a full translation! +REP to you 👍 WOW that cockpit view of the 300SL looks amazing!

Heres the screen caps for 56K people.....

The 300SL Dials Closeup....

The full drivers side of the dash.....

big up

for those who undestand french , this is a report of a french tv automobile magazine at polyphony digital and , at 2min30 Kazu show the modeling of a 300sl dashboard and confirm that there is a cokpit view in GT5

+rep

Great! Thanks for the link.

Did Kaz actaully confirm Cockpit view in the video? or are you assuming it from the high detailed cockpit modeling.

Did Kaz actaully confirm Cockpit view in the video? or are you assuming it from the high detailed cockpit modeling.

he confirm itself
at 2'34" , when Kazunori speak , he say's :" I give you a scoop , we now modeling dasboard of the car because , you will be able to drive from cokpit in GT5"
( sorry if I make some mistake in my translation , I'm french .............:lol: )

PGO
yes he's confirm cockpit view in the video.

he confirm itself
at 2'34" , when Kazunori speak , he say's :" I give you a scoop , we now modeling dasboard of the car because , you will be able to drive from cokpit in GT5"
( sorry if I make some mistake in my translation , I'm french .............:lol: )

Thanks guys for confirmation 👍

Nice find indeed, he has some quality cars also, and I guess he likes white also ! That other guy was modelling a wheel of an Audi by the look of it and what is that board all about? I wonder if showing the 996 GT3 was a hint that we will see Porsche in the game too !

Nice find indeed, he has some quality cars also, and I guess he likes white also ! That other guy was modelling a wheel of an Audi by the look of it and what is that board all about? I wonder if showing the 996 GT3 was a hint that we will see Porsche in the game too !

Probably just showing off KY's cars. The 996 GT3 was also in the J-NTSC version of GT3 along with the Nomad Diablo.

And the Audi wheel, looked more like Audi brakes. ;)

big up

OMG WOW. thanks for that vid!!

Finally we have some kinda confirmation that GT5 will have a cockpit view. That will be so amazing. Looking forward to E3 in July :dopey:

are we 100% certain of this...I really, really hope so. Why else model the interior right???? do we have any other indication that this is really true??? screw damage, i'd reather have this!

Awesome work gamelle71!

Besides the 300SL and Audi brake assembly there was also a short glimpse of a Lancia Delta HF Integrale, (around 3m34s).

lanciapc8.jpg

GT
are we 100% certain of this...I really, really hope so. Why else model the interior right???? do we have any other indication that this is really true??? screw damage, i'd reather have this!

Yes we are! I am also french and Kaz confirmed it himself, no doubt about it, Gamelle translated it perfectly, what a great news!

Merci Gamelle d'avoir partagé sa avec nous, super info, gêne toi pas si tu en as d'autres comme ça! ;)

Fellas, let me clear something up. There are two things you need to know. Firstly, the PS3's amazing graphics capabilities allow the player to see the interior of the car, and the driver moving, even if it's a non-convertible. Secondly, there could be 700+ cars. I mean, if Kaz and his team are going to do the interiors for all those cars, along with driver movements, then I think it's as simple as plopping a camera in there. We'll just have to wait and see.

Great news!! Finally a little more info to keep us licking our chops. Maybe they listen to us afterall.....but as others mentioned....E3 in July is what we're waiting for.

I hope there'll be an option available that turns the head in the direction of your wheels, like in GT Legends. Would make cornering easier, as you can then clearly see where you're going

I still prefer roof cam, but if anyone can do cockpit view properly, Polyphony can. It will be fun to try.

Heres the screen caps for 56K people.....

The 300SL Dials Closeup....

The full drivers side of the dash.....

Wow! What an insanely detailed 3D interior!:crazy: 👍

It would be a waist of CPU/GPU power if there would be no firstperson camera in the final game. But it could also be that this interiors are not the ingame interiors?!

But I prefer damage over this detailed 3D interior.👍

It must be a hell of job to model all those interiors. :crazy: :scared:

Back