College Basketball 2007-2008: March Madness!

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 75 comments
Hi, everyone! Allow me to report on a few of the games that have already been played. I will update this post with all of Thursday's scores. If you see a score in , it represents a team that I picked to win and did win. So here are some of the scores from games that have already finished. Expect to see this post updated once I have ALL of Thursday's scores. The tournament is its own Odyssey, its own story. So I'll offer a story book touch to welcome each bracket.

2008 Men's Tournament: Chapter 1 - The Round of 64
"The road to college basketball heaven leads to San Antonio, Texas. I'm glad we have made the tournament. Now now that we've made it here, our goal is to go as far as possible. It is the destiny of my team as well as those who believe in our team to make down that long road to San Antonio to have a chance to compete for a National Championship. Will we win? Maybe. Will we lose? Maybe. Will we give it our all? Absolutely."

~ Midwest Region ~
LOG: "Omaha, Nebraska is where dreams begin in the Midwest Region this season. There are other teams playing in Tampa, Florida (where the Women's Final Four will be held) as well as Raleigh, North Carolina. Time to show the Midwest what my team and I are capable of."

Jayhawks Look to Soar Like Eagles in Omaha
* #1 Kansas {Jayhawks} vs. #16 Portland State (Vikings) ~
Oregon produced the first NCAA National Champion as the University of Oregon won way back in the 1940s (or 1939?). The Portland State Vikings were stung hard in a Jayhawk Blowout.

#1 Kansas eliminates #16 Portland State 85-61.

~ South Regional ~
LOG: "Texas is a southern state. It would be fantastic to play in Houston (granted we make it to the Sweet Sixteen. I still know in my heart that we can make a difference happen. To get there, we must play in Denver, Colorado; Little Rock, Arkansas; or Anaheim, California depending upon what venue we embark on.

Temple's Owls Want to Clock Michigan State in Their Respective Temples
* #5 Michigan State {Spartans} vs. #12 Temple {Owls}
Tom Izzo coaches his Michigan State Spartans as best as he can, hoping to replicate the success of the 2000 Spartans. His journey begins with Temple.

#5 Michigan State ends tournament hopes for Temple 72-61.

~ West Regional ~
LOG: "It isn't called the Wild Wild West for nothing. The opportunity to make the Final Four happens in Phoenix, Arizona. Getting there means teams must play through Anaheim, CA; Tampa, FL; and Washington, D.C. I hope my team and I can make the Final Four to punch our ticket to San Antonio. Can we do it? Time will tell.

Two Teams Ready to Deliver like FedEx in D.C.
* #3 Xavier {Musketeers} vs. #14 Georgia {Bulldogs}
I actually thought Xavier was overrated compared to all the noise Dayton made in the regular season. Yet still, they are a #3. I'm not doubting the #3, but the Musketeers still have to deliver. Georgia has long been a cupcake in hoops. Now, the Bulldogs are successful in making the tournament. They hope to stay in Washington D.C. to meet their next opponents in Round 2.

#3 Xavier sends #14 Georgia back to Athens (GA) by a score of 73-61.

No other games have been completed. So that's how things look as of right now. I'm 3-0 on picks so far. Here are some scores in progress:

* #8 UNLV leads #9 Kent State 22-6 with about 5:04 left in the first half.
* #13 Oral Roberts leads #4 Pittsburgh 11:14 left in the first half.
* Nearing halftime, #6 Marquette leads Kentucky 30-29.
* #6 Purdue leads #11 Baylor 17-13.

[UPDATE]

Marquette proved me wrong as they beat Kentucky 74-66. It was a rough season to begin with, having lost to Gardner-Webb, Houston, and San Diego. They fought back to make it this far. But now, it's over.

It's over for #9 Kent State as well as #8 UNLV beat them 71-58.

I had Kentucky beating Marquette and Kent State beating UNLV. I'm wrong on both of these now. Kentucky's out by losing 74-66. Sorry, FoolKiller. So I'm now 3-2 in my picks so far.

On a lighter note, my Pittsburgh and Purdue picks are working well so far. Pitt is leading 71-53 with 6:22 left in the game. Purdue leads Baylor 69-56 with 6:55 left in the game. * Pitt and Purdue still lead their respective games.

Stay tuned for my full Thursday report!

The afternoon games haven't treated me as well.

5-2 on the picks at the moment.

Thanks to Kentucky and Kent st. for not showing up today.

Let's not waste too much time. Region, game, score. So let's get it! Quick scores only for Round 1 matches. All results in blue are winners I've predicted that won the game.

2008 Men's NCAA Tournament - Round 1

~ East Region ~
* The #4 Cougars of Washington State beat down the #13 Winthrop Eagles 71-40.
* The Fighting Irish of #5 Notre Dame proved me wrong as they beat #12 George Mason in a 68-50 blowout.

~Midwest Region ~
#1 Kansas had no problem slapping around #16 Portland State 85-61.
* #9 Kent State failed to royal flush #8 UNLV as the Rebels beat the Golden Flashes 71-58.
* (by seeding) #11 Kansas State upset USCal in the most intriguing match on the fight card to the tune of an 80-67 blowout win.
* #3 Wisconsin won on a hole shot as the #14 California State-Fullerton Titans went Titanic late; a 71-56 win for Wisconsin.

~ South Region ~
* #5 Michigan State won 72-61 over Temple.
* #13 Oral Roberts get an unholy beatdown at the hands of #4 Pittsburgh 82-63.

* #11 Kentucky tried to keep up with #6 Marquette, but lose 74-66.
* It wasn't rocket science that #3 Stanford would handle #14 Cornell 77-53.

~ West Region ~
* #1 UCLA delivered an unholy beatdown on poor #16 Mississippi Valley State 70-29.
* #9 Texas A&M took care of #8 BYU 67-62.
* #6 Purdue wins 90-79 over #11 Baylor.
* #3 Xavier sends #14 Georgia home empty-handed with a 73-61 victory.
* The fist-fight of a game between #7 West Virginia and #10 Arizona ended up in WVU winning 75-65.
* #15 Belmont University may have needed the assistance of the Belmont family (Castlevania reference) to exorcise #2 Duke because Belmont lost 71-70 to Duke.

So I'm 11-5 in this day of matches. For the ones I had wrong, here's how far I projected them:

My Losing Predictions
* George Mason out in Second Round.
* Winthrop makes it to Sweet Sixteen.
* Kent State out in Second Round.
* Kentucky goes to Sweet Sixteen and advances no further.
* BYU loses in Second Round.

My Personal Stats
Since this won't be a perfect bracket, I'm currently 11-12 with my overall bracket.
Round Two matches I predicted right: 4 out of 8 (50%)

Friday matchups will be coming up in my next full report. We get to see teams like North Carolina, Georgetown, Western Kentucky, Memphis, Texas, and Connecticut among others. I made a big gamble with my bracket by picking Siena to beat Vanderbilt. I'll see if this pays off.

[UPDATE] As I just learned on Facebook, I'm currently ranked 800,288! I have 11 right picks while Joey D has two more right picks than me. So I have a score of 6 to Joey D's score of 13. We'll see how the rest of Round 1 shapes up.

And the wheat is still waving!!

Rock...

Chalk...

Jayhawk...

Kaaaay You...

:D

I'll agree with UnoMOTO that KU will take the title. But I've said that KU would take it religiously every year for the past five, and I think I was wrong on every count.

11-5 in the first day games.

The only one that really left a mark in my bracket was USC losing. I had them going to the final eight.

Thanks to Duke for ALMOST blowing my final four. Feel free to not do that again DUKE.

I think #13 Oral Roberts is an exceptional school. The Tulsa-based university will thrart Pittsburgh, because I don't know if Pittsburgh is really game enough to make a serious run. And I love the Pittsburgh Panthers.

LOL, hope you didn't pick that for your bracket :).

A lot of people doubted Pittsburgh(SI had them going out in round 1 also), but they're going to make a run. They completely embarrassed Oral Roberts last night and played exactly the same game they played when they ran through the Big East tournament. Levance Fields and Sam Young are playing like men possessed lately, and I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I definitely like their chances vs. Michigan State. They had a tough season due to some key injuries, but theyre back now and playing their best b ball of the year.

Plus, they're Bob Knight's pick for national champs.

My bracket is doing great too. I picked Western Kentucky to upset Drake, Kansas State over USC, the only one I missed so far has been the WVU/Arizona game where I picked Arizona (judgement was clouded by my hate for WVU)

I went 11-5 in yesterday's matches. I correctly predicted about five Second Round matches. How did I do today? Who's advancing? Who's going? Did my upset special for Siena College work? Did my "easy" upset of Saint Mary's College beating Miami work? Find out in my report! Come along and ride on this fantastic voyage!

Before I begin, I'd like to confess. I actually noted that Oral Roberts would upset Pittsburgh. However, I didn't PICK Oral Roberts to win when I did my brackets on Facebook. I picked Pitt to be two and out when I did my real bracket.

Now let's get it! (Remember that picks I made that ended up being the right call are in [COLOR]blue[/COLOR].)

~ East Regional ~
My East Bracket is personally my worst picks. I predicted George Mason to knock off Notre Dame = wrong! I picked Winthrop to overrate Washington State = wrong! I'm winless in East Region picks. Time to see how I did this time.

* #1 North Carolina turned #16 Mount St. Mary's into biodegradable material by beating them 113-74.
* An SEC team will advance as #9 Arkansas lasted longer than #8 Indiana to the tune of an 86-72 win.
* I wanted #12 Saint Joseph's to take care of #5 Oklahoma, but the Sooners grounded the Hawks 72-64.
* Kentucky didn't advance, but their sworn enemies, #3 Louisville, blew out #14 Boise State 79-64.
Maybe this game would have been closer if there was a blue basketball court for Boise State...
* My dreams of #10 South Alabama going to the second round were dashed as #7 Butler hammered them 81-61. Ouch.
* #15 American's first NCAA tourney appearance was tainted and covered in #2 Tennessee Volunteer orange. A 72-57 beating.

This sucks. Can I take a mulligan on the East Region? What? I can't? Damn!

~ Midwest Region ~
I'm scared that my Siena pick would fail me. Let's see how it goes.

* This fist fight of a game ended up in #12 Villanova overrating #5 Clemson 75-69.
* I was absolutely stunned that I accurately picked #13 Siena to beat #4 Vanderbilt. I just wasn't expecting an 83-62 blowout of Vandy.
* The nail-biting match between #7 Gonzaga and #10 Davidson ended up in an 82-76 shock job put on by Davidson College.

* Somebody on GTP is a UMBC fan. Sadly, the #15 UMBC Retrivers couldn't fetch a win over the #2 Georgetown Hoyas as they won 66-47.

So I went perfect on Friday matches! I only got seven out of eight right overall for the Midwest bracket.

~ South Region ~
I got three out of four matches from action on Thursday. My only miss was Kentucky. How did I (and the other teams) do here?

* #1 Memphis Handled #16 Texas-Arlington 87-63. Imagine what would happen if Memphis and Texas play each other in Houston...
* Oakland University (Joey D's school) beat Oregon earlier this season. Now #8 Mississippi State can proudly say they beat #9 Oregon 76-69.
* My "easy" upset pick of #10 Saint Mary's beating #7 Miami made me look stupid. The 'Canes won 78-64 over the Gaels. Game over for Saint Mary's College.
* Never in doubt, #2 Texas creamed #15 Austin Peay State University 74-54.

I finished 5-3 in South Regional matches. My misses were Kentucky, Oregon, and Saint Mary's.

~ West Region ~
There were only two matches on Friday in the West, both impressive games, both going into Overtime. Gotta love college hoops!

* Kentucky's season is over, but #12 Western Kentucky's season stays alive in a hellacious fight against #5 Drake. I didn't see the game-winning shot, but the Hilltoppers topped the Bulldogs 101-99 in Overtime.
* #13 San Diego screwed up my bracket. I picked #4 Connecticut to win, but the Huskies lost to the Toreros 70-69 in Overtime.

I finished 6-2 in West Regional matches.

John's Extras

> I finished 11-5 in Thursday matches. I finished 10-6 in Friday matches. So overall, I finished 21-11 in First Round matches. In my one-on-one match against Joey D, he still leads me 22-21 in points. I pulled to within one point of Joey D in the Facebook challenge.

> Here are all of my First Round misses:
* Indiana to Second Round.
* George Mason to Second Round.
* Winthrop to Sweet Sixteen.
* Saint Joseph's to Sweet Sixteen.
* South Alabama to Second Round.
* Kent State to Second Round.
* Oregon to Second Round.
* Kentucky to Sweet Sixteen.
* Saint Mary's College to Second Round.
* Brigham Young University (BYU) to Second Round.
* Connecticut to Sweet Sixteen.

> Here's a stat for you: I went 0-4 in the #8 vs. #9 matches! Those games can be tough to predict anyways. I had the most confidence in Indiana.

> My best bracket was the Midwest. My worst (hands down) was the East.

> I correctly identified six Second Round matches out of sixteen. Of those 16 2nd Round matches, I picked only one predicted winner for eight of those matches. I completely missed two of them.

> Among all participating Facebook users in the cbssports.com Tournament Brackets challenge, I am currently ranked 715,710!

This is my first time in a bracket challenge of any kind. Pretty fun so far. The weekend should provide some amazing Saturday and Sunday matches. Stay tuned for my Saturday report when it's done!

So, as most of my game watching was done at a bar I don't have too much to say (or clearly remember) but that Western Kentucky - Drake game was the game of the tournament, hands down. The entire restaurant at Buffalo Wild Wings stood up and cheered as that last second three went in.

Time to see how Second Round matches went. Get ready to see who will advance.

Before we begin...

Meet your Division 3 National Champions!

* Washington University (St. Louis, MO) (Men)
* Howard Payne (Women)

2008 Men's Tournament: Chapter 2: The Round of 32
"My team and I are away from home, but not very far to Heaven. 'Tis our destiny to win the National Championship and give sports reporters something to talk about once next season starts."

~ East Region ~
My East bracket is terrible. Only three out of eight 1st Round matches predicted correctly. Only one match happened, featuring two teams I picked to be beaten.

* #4 Washington State demolished #5 Notre Dame 61-41.

~ Midwest Region ~
From a terrible bracket to one I've been pretty good with. How did I do in Saturday matches? Here are the short scores:

* I picked Kansas to meet Kent State, but I lost on my Kent State pick. #1 Kansas lasted longer than #8 UNLV 75-56.

* I picked Kansas State and Wisconsin to meet, but #3 Wisconsin screwed up my bracket as they won 72-55 over #11 Kansas State. So much for me picking K-State to be in the Sweet Sixteen.

~ South Regional ~
I correctly predicted only one South Regional match for the Second Round. How did I do with the one I got right and the one I missed?

* #5 Michigan State stays alive as #4 Pittsburgh falls 65-54.
* I wanted Kentucky to beat Marquette to make it Kentucky/Stanford. Unfortunately, it's Marquette/Stanford. And #3 Stanford ended #6 Marquette's season 82-81 in Overtime. I still had (the Round 1 winner) beating Stanford.

~ West Region ~
Three matches were on the fight card in the West Region. Who won? Who's going home?

* I picked UCLA vs. BYU for Round Two. I still had the UCLA part right. #1 UCLA won in a fist fight against #9 Texas A&M 53-49.
* #3 Xavier handled #6 Purdue quite nicely in an 85-78 beating. The upset (at least to me) worked.

* My first Elite Eight pick is no more. #7 West Virginia f:cesored:ed up my bracket as they beat #2 Duke 73-67.

I'm 3 for 8 in Second Round matches. I correctly predicted three matches, and went 2 out of 3 in Second Round matches. Kansas and UCLA both won in 2nd Round matches I halfway predicted correctly.

The one-on-one between me and Joey D was me just one point within Joey D. Now, I'm 3 points back. I'm still ranked very low among all Facebook users. The Duke shocker screwed up a lot of peoples' brackets. More Round 2 action in my next report. Stay tuned!

Damn, a heartbreaker for Pitt fans last night, they didn't even make it until the sweet 16, which is where they almost always get eliminated. They did lose to a very good and dangerous Michigan State team though who played almost the exact same physical game as Pitt did.

I'll report on how my bracket went later. But first, here is a quick rundown of games from Sunday. There were some billing issues for my AOL account that I had to address, so I was unable to report scores that Sunday night.

All picks I accurately predicted are in blue. A new RAPID FIRE feature I will make is that the winning team will be underlined. I'm choosing between underlining the winning team, putting the winning team in bold print, or even adding three less than marks (<<<) to show the winning team.

~ East Region: RAPID FIRE ~

* #1 North Carolina vs. #9 Arkansas (108-77)
* #2 Tennessee vs. #7 Butler (76-71, OT)

#3 Louisville vs. #6 Oklahoma (78-48)

~ Midwest Region: RAPID FIRE ~

* #2 Georgetown vs. #10 Davidson (74-70) <<< my first Final Four pick eliminated! Damn it to hell!!!
* #12 Villanova vs. #13 Siena (84-72)

~ South Region: RAPID FIRE ~
I went perfect in these Sunday matches.

* #2 Texas vs. #7 Miami (75-72)
* #1 Memphis! vs. #8 Mississippi State (77-74)

~ West Region: RAPID FIRE ~

* #12 Western Kentucky vs. #13 San Diego (72-63) <<< FoolKiller's former school. I had WKU losing to Connecticut. Since WKU won their game, this is a miss on my record.

The one-on-one with me and Joey D has the man formerly known as "BlazinXtreme" ahead of me by three. I have a score of 39 to Joey D's 42. Among all participating Facebook people playing this game, I'm ranked #722,757! The person leading the nation in these picks is a fellow named Evan Lynch who has a score of 58. Six users ranked 20th have 54 among them. So it's obvious I have as much of a chance as winning this challenge as the Jaguar F1 team winning an F1 race. Regional semifinal action starts this Thursday. So feel free to comment about this season's March Madness between now and when Sweet Sixteen action starts.

By the way, I had North Carolina vs. Georgetown and Memphis vs. UCLA as my Final Four. The Georgetown pick is obviously down and out.

By the way, I had North Carolina vs. Georgetown and Memphis vs. UCLA as my Final Four. The Georgetown pick is obviously down and out.
Don't feel bad. My Final Four was Tennessee, Georgetown, U-Conn, and Pittsburgh.

Fortunately I do not keep my brackets on hand while watching games so I got to cheer for who I wanted to win. The fan in me is more happy than my bracketologist, especially as my bracket is to determine fantasy football draft order.

Don't feel bad. My Final Four was Tennessee, Georgetown, U-Conn, and Pittsburgh.

Nice...at least you'll spend the rest of the tourney just cheering.

especially as my bracket is to determine fantasy football draft order.

I keep reading this sentence over and over again and I just can't get it to compute in my little pee brain.

The GTPFFL champion uses a looser basketball sheet to pick the draft order.
headshakeuy3.gif

Maybe your just mocking me....

FoolKiller, Davidson and Western Kentucky are really emerging in this year's tournament. If these two schools met in the Sweet Sixteen in the same bracket, who would win between WKU and Davidson College?

I keep reading this sentence over and over again and I just can't get it to compute in my little pee brain.
In my other Fantasy Football League (yup, yup I have friends in real life too) we decided to do a tournament bracket for free and the person with the most correct bracket will get first pick in our FFL draft. Least correct gets last pick.

So, because my bracket sucks my fantasy football draft selection looks like it will be one of the last three out of 12. The only hope I have of doing well at this point is if Tennessee wins the championship. And after yesterday's games I think Tennessee is done when they meet Louisville.

FoolKiller, Davidson and Western Kentucky are really emerging in this year's tournament. If these two schools met in the Sweet Sixteen in the same bracket, who would win between WKU and Davidson College?
I'd say Western, more heart. That Drake game looked like it was going to get ugly but they refused to give it up and they kept trying.

Davidson would play tough, but I feel like Western just refuses to give up at this point.

The Sweet Sixteen starts today. Here are your matchups for today:

WEST REGION:
* #7 West Virginia vs. #3 Xavier
* #12 Western Kentucky vs. #1 UCLA!

EAST REGION:
* #4 Washington State vs. #1 North Carolina!
* #3 Louisville vs. #2 Tennessee

Anyone want to chat about today's matches?

I still have Tennessee going all the way, hopefully they win today. I can't believe my bracket didn't completely suck this year, typically I'm out after only a few games.

The Sweet Sixteen starts today. Here are your matchups for today:

WEST REGION:
* #7 West Virginia vs. #3 Xavier

EAST REGION:
* #4 Washington State vs. #1 North Carolina!

Anyone want to chat about today's matches?
Well, locally we have an interest in both Western and Louisville. but they play at the same time. So CBS has worked out a deal with a local independent station to show the Western game. For once CBS gets it right.

I doubt WKU can beat UCLA, but they have been impressive so far. They may pull it off.

I want to see Tennessee beat Louisville, but I just don't think it will happen.

I do not want Louisville, UCLA, or North Carolina to win the championship.

Louisville: Rivals, I never cheer for Louisville.
UCLA: Kentucky is second only to them in championships. Don't want that lead to stretch.
North Carolina: A win would put them only one championship behind Kentucky. Too close.

Western is my fanboy favorite though. If they can't do it then I am pulling for Tennessee.

No real analysis, just my fanboyish rants.

I'll offer my comments.

My Bracket vs. The Real Thing
! = #1 seed

- WEST REGION -
Mine: Xavier vs. Duke
Reality: Xavier vs. West Virginia
Who Wins?: Xavier, but it's going to be tough to go either way.

Mine: UCLA! vs. Connecticut
Reality: UCLA! vs. Western Kentucky
Who Wins?: I think Western Kentucky keeps it close, but UCLA (to use drag racing expressions) winning on a hole shot.

- EAST REGION -
Mine: North Carolina! vs. Winthrop
Reality: North Carolina! vs. Washington State
Who Wins?: I'm starting to have respect for Washington State. I always say that the University of Washington is better in the Emerald State than Washington State. I still think North Carolina pulls it out.

Mine: Louisville vs. Saint Joseph's
Reality: Louisville vs. Tennessee
Who Wins?: I got Tennessee in the Elite Eight, so I HAVE to go against Louisville here. Then again, my East Region is so terrible that I may be foiled here too.

I've accurately predicted two Sweet Sixteen matches: Kansas! vs. Villanova and Memphis! vs. Michigan State. We'll see how action goes from Thursday's matches as we try to set up the Elite Eight.

Chapter 3: "And Then There Were Sixteen..."
LOG: "...Maybe it is better to be lucky than good. We've endured our own pain as a team and will win as a team. Only four more games left as we try to make the Elite Eight, Final Four, National Championship game, and God willing... the National Championship. Some good teams are in the tournament as is my team. Let's keep working to make the trip to San Antonio."

And so we begin. Anything blue was a pick I predicted correctly in my bracket.

- WEST REGION -

Western Kentucky Ready to Take Out Some Fools From Out West
It's the end of the line for WKU. Big Red couldn't will his Hilltoppers past UCLA's Bruins. (88-76; #1 California-Los Angeles!)

Just Because I Called Xavier Overrated in the Past Doesn't Mean They are Bad
* # West Virginia {Mountaineers} vs. #3 Xavier {Musketeers}
I picked Duke vs. Xavier to be my matchup, but the Xavier Musketeers took care of business in Phoenix as the West Virginia Mountaineers will pack up and go home. Good job by the Jesuit university based in Cincinnati. (79-75, OT; #3 Xavier)

~ East Region ~
Before I begin my East Region scores, I have a whole new appreciation for the city of Charlotte, North Carolina. It's downtown is absolutely beautiful. Anyone who seen some of the outdoor shots of downtown Charlotte can see the loveliness of Charlotte. It may be NASCAR country, but Charlotte is definitely a lovely place.

A Glorified Home Game for North Carolina
* #4 Washington State {Cougars} vs. #1 North Carolina! {Tar Heels}
North Carolina proved Washington State to be overrated as they couldn't keep up with UNC. (68-47; #1 North Carolina!)

One Kentucky Team Fell Tonight... Will Another?
I wonder what would happen if Louisville joined the SEC and had to play Tennessee (as well as Kentucky) often. Kentucky's last hope for a Bluegrass State national champ is playing Bruce Pearl's boys. Another one of my Elite Eight picks falls in a blowout. Have to imagine what call-in shows and maybe even "Pardon the Interruption" appearances Bruce Pearl would say about this season. (79-60; Louisville)

Now let's key in on a personal matchup. The Facebook match between myself and Joey D now has me leading for the first time this tournament by a score of 47-46. In the all-Facebook standings, I'm ranked 759,320. I know I'm not going to win the $10,000, but it's still great to be part of this bad boy.

Friday action will see Midwest action in Detroit and South action here in my hometown of Houston. Stay tuned for the Friday report!

Here are your Friday matches to be held in MoTown and H-Town:

~ Midwest Regional ~
* #10 Davidson vs. #3 Wisconsin
* #12 Villanova vs. #1 Kansas! <<< a match I correctly-picked

~ South Region ~
* #3 Stanford vs. #2 Texas
* #5 Michigan State vs. #1 Memphis! <<< a match I correctly-picked

Anyone wish to chat about today's matches?

I was disappointed with Tennessee, oh well, I guess I can still pull for the home team of Michigan State even though I will always be a Michigan fan. I wanted to get tickets for tonights match ups in Detroit seeing as you still could as far as I know but they were pretty expensive.

Today is Friday (as of my initial typing). On this day 16 years ago (much to the vengeful hatred of FoolKiller), Christian Laettner of Duke University sent Kentucky home on a clutch shot. Most Kentucky fans would have loved to have seen Christian L. ejected from the game so that the Wildcats can have a field day with Duke. Still to this day, there has never been a Kentucky/Duke match unless it's in the playoffs.

Detroit and Houston on tap for Friday action as well as Regional Finals (Elite Eight) this weekend. Let's continue the coverage of action by talking about the remaining four games of this Sweet Sixteen.

~ Midwest Regional ~
This is a house call to Joey D country. Ford Field is the place to be. The Ford Motor Company let go to Jaguar and Land Rover. Now it's time to see what two teams will have to pack up and go home from Detroit.

Davidson Shoots (Basketballs) to Kill Wisconsin's Chances of an Elite Eight
* #10 Davidson {Wildcats} vs. #3 Wisconsin {Badgers}
In a matchup I incorrectly predicted, those who predicted victory for Wisconsin were sadly mistaken. (73-56; #10 Davidson)

Villanova Proves They are For Real
* #12 Villanova {Wildcats} vs. #1 Kansas! {Jayhawks}
High-Test and others have reason to be happy as Kansas will await Davidson College after Kansas destroyed Villanova. (72-57; #1 Kansas!)

~ South Region ~
From Joey D's hometown area to my hometown... welcome to Houston!

Homecoming for Some Longhorns
* #3 Stanford {Cardinal} vs. #2 Texas {Longhorns}
It was a (pardon the cliché) Texas-sized pound job on Stanford. (82-62; #2 Texas)

Winner Gets Texas, and Neither Team Wants to Play Against a Pro-Texas Crowd!
* #5 Michigan State {Spartans} vs. #1 Memphis {Tigers}
Honest fact: I prematurely marked Memphis as the winner. I just accidentally marked up my bracket. Then again, I ended up being right. Michigan State was no match for Michigan State. (92-74; #1 Memphis!)

For all matches I predicted the winner for, I won all three games today. The one-on-one with me and Joey D is now 59-58 in favor of me. The all-Facebook rankings have me at 583,884 overall! Elite Eight action begins Saturday. Have a great weekend!

JohnBM01
High-Test and others have reason to be happy as Kansas will await Davidson College after Kansas destroyed Villanova. (72-57; #1 Kansas!)[/COLOR]

That was a close game. :scared: Davidson was so close...

But...

ROCK..

CHALK...

JAYHAWK....

KU.....

OT: I'm trading Thundar for Big Jay next year. I'm transferring to KU. :)

Detroit and Houston will see their respective football fields return to being football fields after today's games. Did you know that Houston used to be known as the Wildcat City? People who came over to Houston back as an oil giant were known as "Wildcatters." It was, in fact, one of the names for the NFL's franchise team... that would later be known as the Houston Texans. I'll have to go to Reliant Stadium this May to attend my graduation ceremony to get my Associate's in the Arts. Someone's going to graduate their way to San Antonio to play for a National Championship. UCLA is in. North Carolina is in. Who'll join them? Let's find out!

I didn't get to see too many games because I was playing my rental of "Test Drive Unlimited." Let's test-drive our two matches today.

~ Midwest Region ~

Kansas Looks to Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk Their Way to San Antonio
* #10 Davidson {Wildcats} vs. #1 Kansas! {Jayhawks}
Georgetown was my Final Four pick, but I'll have to settle for either Davidson or Kansas. A hair-raising game ended up as Kansas outlasted Davidson. It was a gripping fist fight to go to San Antonio. (57-55; #1 Kansas!)

~ South Region ~

A Home-State Advantage for Some Wild Cattle Meeting Some Potent Cats
* #2 Texas {Longhorns} vs. #1 Memphis! {Tigers}
Maybe I'm biased against Memphis since they beat the crap out of my hometown Houston Cougars. The University of Houston and Rice University sponsor this regional final at a stadium usually supporting as many as 75K people for a Houston Texans football game. No retractable roof needed for this one. Don't mess with Texas? I don't think Memphis got the memo after this beatdown. (85-67; #1 Memphis!)

So here is your Final Four:

North Carolina vs. Kansas
-and-
Memphis vs. UCLA​

Now let's look at the friendly rivalry between me and Joey D from Facebook's bracket challenge. I'm now ahead by 17. I am leading by a score of 83-66. My all-Facebook rank is #389,372! It's starting to be like racing in "Enthusia Professional Racing," where you have to go from 1,600 all the way up. A guy named Evan Lynch on Facebook leads the entire field by a score of 118. The maximum points one can earn in this challenge overall is 192.

I'll try and speculate on all four Final Four teams through this week. You all can chat about who you think will make the National Championship game. More importantly, who do you think's going to win it all?

Texas and Duke are missing from my final four. So much for trying to pick something other then the #1's.
flushbr7.gif

OK, so in the year where I toy with the idea of just picking all top seeds, to see if I can at least win in points, and decide not to at the last minute it actually happens?
:ouch:

Ah well, my bracket is done and gone. Go somebody. Just not North Carolina or UCLA.

Latest Posts

Back