College Basketball 2008-2009 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 75 comments
I heard of that news. Missouri is a pretty good team, take nothing away from them.

It's almost tournament time! The NCAA Tournament selection show will be on March 15 on CBS. I'm on Facebook, so I may participate in another bracket competition. Last year, we had a friendly match between myself and Joey D. I made some of the better picks. The one thing I still cringe over- I picked Memphis to win against Kansas for the title, and we all know who won this one.

Final Four in Detroit this year. No bailout needed. No 0-16 teams here.

I'm a little torn tonight.

Kansas is playing Texas Tech tonight. Not that I harbor any love for the Red Raiders or anything. One of their players, Robert Lewandowski, was in my high school physics class. Great guy. I just want to see him go out there and kick some ass.

Play like hell tonight Robert, God knows you're the biggest man they've got.

Personally, I don't think Pat Knight and the Red Raiders will be able to pull it off. Sherron and Cole Aldrich are a nasty one-two punch, with lots of freshmen powerhouses ready to pick up slack. It'll be Kansas by about eight points, 76-68.

GO KU

EDIT:

Damn. I was wrong.

Last edited:
MAJOR upset in the Big XII Tournament as Kansas was knocked off by Baylor. I think the final score was 74-61 in favor of Baylor. Kansas may be denied a #1 seed now.

Well, here's the entire 64-team NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Bracket:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/mayhem/brackets/viewable_men

Personally, I'm looking out for My team, Notre Dame, Who's going to the NIT. I'm afraid they're going to be matched up in the First Round with somebody like Creighton or St. Mary's (CA) or Davidson and get beat.

I wonder what JohnBM01 thinks about this.....

EDIT: we're the Number two seed with *shock* Creighton being number one in our side of the bracket.

We play UAB Tomorrow at 9:00 EST On ESPN2. It's a homecoming of sorts for the UAB coach, Mike Davis, who followed the Legendary Bobby Knight at Indiana University (and failed tremendously; YES, he did get them to the National Championship Game In his first year, but that was with Knight's players. Just goes to prove you, it's hard to follow a legend....). if we win, we face the winner of New Mexico and Nebraska.

@ Foolkiller: Trust me, I know how you feel. like your school, mine had tremendous expections coming into the season, but ultimately fell short. but, hey, not all is lost.

WE'RE IN THE SAME SIDE OF THE NIT BRACKET!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!

oh, and BTW, I don't know how you feel, but if gillesipe has another season like this next season, UK should just can his @$$.

Just My opinion, tho.

Last edited:
Here are the brackets for this year's March Madness:

Midwest:
* #1 Louisville! vs. #16 (Play-In Game Winner)
* #8 Ohio State vs. #9 Siena
* #5 Utah vs. #12 Arizona
* #4 Wake Forest vs. #13 Cleveland State
* #6 West Virginia vs. #11 Dayton
* #3 Kansas vs. #14 North Dakota State
* #7 Boston College vs. #10 USCal
* #2 Michigan State vs. #15 Robert Morris

West:
* #1 Connecticut! vs. #16 Chattanooga
* #8 Brigham Young vs. #9 Texas A&M
* #5 Purdue vs. #12 Northern Iowa
* #4 Washington vs. #13 Mississippi State
* #6 Marquette vs. #11 Utah State
* #3 Missouri vs. #14 Cornell
* #7 California vs. #10 Maryland
* #2 Memphis vs. #15 California State-Northridge

East:
* #1 Pittsburgh! vs. #16 East Tennessee State
* #8 Oklahoma State #9 Tennessee
* #5 Florida State vs. #12 Wisconsin
* #4 Xavier vs. #13 Portland State
* #4 UCLA vs. #11 VCU
* #3 Villanova vs. #14 American
* #7 Texas vs. #10 Minnesota
* #2 Duke vs. #15 Binghamton

South:
* #1 North Carolina vs. #16 Radford
* #8 Louisiana State vs. #9 Butler
* #5 Illinois vs. #12 Western Kentucky
* #4 Gonzaga vs. #13 Akron
* #6 Arizona State vs. #11 Temple
* #3 Syracuse vs. #14 Stephen F. Austin
* #7 Clemson vs. #10 Michigan
* #2 Oklahoma vs. #15 Morgan State

I haven't fully studied this year's field, so I'm not going to comment too much. All I do know is that my GTP and Facebook friend, High-Test has a loyalty battle going as Kansas and North Dakota State square off. Also, no Kentucky in this year's field. Has to be sad for my buddy FoolKiller even with the play of Jodie Meeks.

I must say... part of deciding a bracket is luck. I picked Memphis to win it all, until Kansas ended my bracket hopes. I was more lucky for my bracket last year in the one-on-one match between me and Joey D. Hoping for bigger and better, I'll try to fill out this year's men's field to the best of my ability.

All I do know is that my GTP and Facebook friend, High-Test has a loyalty battle going as Kansas and North Dakota State square off.
God help him if NDSU pulls off that upset. I'll never let him forget it. :lol:

Seriously, though. Our first trip in our first year possible and we get smacked with the Jayhawks right out of the gate? Ouch.

newbisonlogo.jpg

GO BISON!!!

TB
God help him if NDSU pulls off that upset. I'll never let him forget it. :lol:

Seriously, though. Our first trip in our first year possible and we get smacked with the Jayhawks right out of the gate? Ouch.

GO BISON!!![/B]

Yeah. It's what you guys get for not giving my man Lorenzo Riley more play time. :P

Yes, I will be massively shunned by all next time we meet at HuHot or wherever. (Win or lose, next time's on me) I don't know. NDSU is a good team. KU is a good team as well. I have to root KU. I'm from Kansas, I'm at KU, KU all the way. IFNDSU pulls off that upset, you guys better play like you're flaming snowmen running to antarctica. Otherwise, I will feel gyped. That is the cost of a first round victory. Are you all prepared?

At least, like John said, Oral Roberts' reign of terror is over.

Oh, yeah.

Jayhawk.gif

RockchalkjayhawkKU RockchalkjayhawkKU RockchalkjayhawkKU Rockchalkjayhawk... KU

Far above the golden valley,
Glorious to view
Stands our noble alma mater,
Towering toward the blue,

Lift the chorus ever onward,
Crimson and the blue
Hail to thee, our Alma Mater
Hail to old KU.

Far above the distant humming
Of the busy town,
Reared against the dome of heaven.
Looks she proudly down.

Greet we then our foster mother,
Noble friend so true,
We will ever sing her praises,
Hail to old KU.

There. The only hymn I know.

OH! You guys get to play the machine known as Cole Aldrich in his hometown! Won't that be fun? :P

I have to root KU. I'm from Kansas, I'm at KU, KU all the way. IFNDSU pulls off that upset, you guys better play like you're flaming snowmen running to antarctica. Otherwise, I will feel gyped. That is the cost of a first round victory. Are you all prepared?
I'd be disappointed, and you should be ashamed, if you didn't go for KU. As long as NDSU doesn't buckle with first time jitters, it'll be a good game. After that, anything goes. :)

At least, like John said, Oral Roberts' reign of terror is over.
Topped by... that's right - the Bison.

OH! You guys get to play the machine known as Cole Aldrich in his hometown! Won't that be fun? :P
I don't think it would have mattered where the game took place. I'm expecting a spanking, and not the good kind. If NDSU wins, work is pretty much done for the rest of the month. My boss' (husband and wife) are both NDSU alumni and she brings a cowbell to Bison football games. Yes, they get into their sports. Since they're playing in Minneapolis, they will be going to the game, from what I hear. The cowbell, however, probably won't. Are they even legal at basketball games? They aren't at high school football games - even in the Dome.

Hmm.

I really don't know if they're allowed. Usually we bring Tigers on nooses and other things like that to our games. Our student section can get nasty, but I have yet to meet fans more drunk and belligerent than those of NDSU. I was on the receiving end of a drunken tirade of a bunch of drunks (presumably they live in Stockbridge :P) while I was clad in a green away game shirt wearing the furry bison hat. Yes. Heckle your own fans..

Woodside is a machine. I think KU will win this game by eight or nine. Given that 54% of the NDSU student body is from Minnesota, I believe that a similar figure would represent those on the team from Minnesota. they're playing close to home and will put up a fight, but.. Imaginary birds are almost impossible to beat the first time. :D

Curiously, I picked Kansas to win against North Dakota State. I made sure to pick some upsets because the unthinkable sure as hell happens. But again, I haven't much confidence in my picks. But we'll see how many I can get right this year.

For rather obvious reasons I have been absent from this thread. The pain...it hurts.

And with that I shall leave my only mark with a phrase I never thought I would ever say:

Is it football season yet?

Alaama State lost to Morehead State. So we got an all-Kentucky match: #1 Louisville vs. #16 Morehead State. Pretty sure FoolKiller wants Morehead State (or somebody) to knock off Louisville...

I want to see all of the uncreative ESPN people's picks get axed.

Especially Duke Vitale. Oh, his name's Dick? I thought it was Duke..

My final four:

:lol::lol::lol:

Missouri, Kansas, Minnesota, and.. Aww, screw it. Someone else.

I'm sad so far.

* picked Butler to beat LSU... LSU won
* picked BYU to beat Texas A&M... Texas A&M won.

So I'm currently 0-2 in my picks. However, there are still the #1 vs. #16 picks.

@Foolkiller

Did you watch the NIT Kentucky game the other night? I did. Anyway, Why were The Wildcats playing at Memorial Coliseum? Why Didn't they play at Rupp Arena? Was there a concert at the Rupp or something? Because A similar thing happened in last year's NIT, where Ohio State played both their Home Games at St. John's Arena. I know the first game there was a Bruce Springsteen Concert at their current arena, Value City Arena (WTF??!!!?? why didn't he play at Nationwide Arena? I always wondered about that), but I forget what was the reason why they did it a second time.

@Foolkiller

Did you watch the NIT Kentucky game the other night? I did. Anyway, Why were The Wildcats playing at Memorial Coliseum? Why Didn't they play at Rupp Arena? Was there a concert at the Rupp or something?
Kentucky High School Sweet 16 championship basketball tournament is scheduled at Rupp Arena, and has been for years. In other words, Rupp is never available for the NIT because We should never be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahem. Excuse me.

This just in: My bracket is 12 for 12.

In case anyone does a mid-tourney update bracket my final four are:

Michigan St, U-Conn, Villanova and UNC. The final is U-Conn and UNC, with UNC winning.

I'm currently 10-12. Tied for 6th place.

Edit: 13 out of 15. Still tied for 6th.

Last edited:
So the final game of this day is over. I finished 12-4 in first round, first day matches. Last year, I was 11-5 after day one. Here are my winners and losers:

WIN:
* Texas
* Duke
* Villanova
* UCLA
* North Carolina
* Gonzaga
* Oklahoma
* Memphis
* Washington
* Connecticut
* Purdue
* Western Kentucky

LOSE:
* Butler (to LSU)
* Clemson (to Michigan)
* Texas A&M (to BYU
* California (to Maryland)

None of my picks for the Sweet Sixteen and further were threatened in my bracket picks. In a head-to-head Facebook match, I trail Brian Peredo 14-10. However, this is just one round. I trailed our own Joey D last year to eventually win the bracket battle we had. Hopefully I can pull through again. In the all-Facebook standings, every dope ahead of me got all 16 rounds correct. I'm currently ranked #150,576 among all Facebook users taking part in this year's bracket challenge on Facebook.

Not a single Midwest bracket round has begun, and many more 1st Round games will transpire. Hope your brackets are good so far!

I'm 15 of 16 now. Who knew, WKU beat Illinois. So, I don't keep faith in my original school choice and bites me in the butt.

Congrats, High-Test. Looked to be a good game for the first 3/4 of the game, but then the Bison dropped of.

On the plus side, I had Kansas to win on my bracket. :lol:

Hypocrite, I know.

TB
Congrats, High-Test. Looked to be a good game for the first 3/4 of the game, but then the Bison dropped of.

On the plus side, I had Kansas to win on my bracket. :lol:

Hypocrite, I know.

:D

That was a FANTSTIC game. Until maybe the last three minutes, then U just pulled away.

S'okay. I forgive you. :lol:

Ben Woodside is a machine. :eek: That is all.

So far, only two losses for me today. I picked Tennessee to lose to Oklahoma State, but Tennessee took care of business. Also, Arizona State beat Temple (I had Temple winning). My Kansas pick worked pretty well. And oh my God... Marquette won a close fight against [soon-to-include-football-school] Texas-San Antonio.

Right now, CBS (at least here) is showing Pittsburgh somewhat unable to pull away from East Tennessee State. I'm pretty sure Max Powers would be pissed if his Panthers didn't win. If Pitt doesn't win, then one of my Elite Eight picks will be ousted. I have Pitt in the Elite Eight.

My losing picks from Friday matches are as follows:

* Oklahoma State (def. by TENN)
* Boston College (def. by USCal)
* Temple (def. by AriSU)
* Florida State (def. by UWM)

So I finished 12-4 yesterday... now 12-4 from today's matches. In the one-on-one match I'm in on Facebook, we're tied with 24 points. In the all-Facebook standings, I'm ranked #60,529th! That's a hell of a lot better than what I was in last year! One jackass... I mean, really educated fan of college basketball CORRECTLY predicted all 32 games! Guy named Hank Sherman predicted all 32 games correctly and is ahead of 2nd Place Rob Neal (score of 31), and 22 others tied for 3rd with 30 points. A guy in 25th place has 29 points named Terry Horton.

The women's tournament will begin first round action this weekend, but their male counterparts will be contesting second-round matches. Enjoy your college hoops!

Finished 7-1 in Rd. 2, Day 1 matches!

WINS:
* Connecticut
* Purdue
* Memphis
* Oklahoma
* Gonzaga
* North Carolina
* Duke

LOSE:
* UCLA (def. by Villanova)

OBSERVATIONS:
* No teams Elite Eight or better in my bracket are threatened... yet.
* trailing Brian 40-38
* ranked #63,591 in all Facebook standings at present!

So I hope to stay afloat with my bracket. But even with my successes with this bracket, I STILL trail to Brian P. on Facebook 40-38. Sunday's matches are coming up.

The Sweet Sixteen is set! I finished 7-1 yesterday... and I finished 7-1 today as well! I finished 14-2 in making Sweet Sixteen picks. Some of my picks last year saw two incorrect picks make the next round. This year, I've accurately predicted at least one of the participants. I have a good bracket going so far. But not a great one.

You see, that same Hank guy CORRECTLY predicted the Round 2 matches. Well, he also CORRECTLY predicted the Sweet Sixteen! Dude's perfect! In the Facebook one-on-one, I've now taken the lead 52-50 over my Facebook friend Brian. I was finally in four-figures when I once checked my all-Facebook rankings. However, that smile of mine was wiped off as I was now ranked 20,040th among all Facebook people taking part in this tournament!

So I'm 24-8 after Round 1, and 14-2 in Round 2. Check out all of my video reports on my bracket by checking out my playlist here:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EA98C5A2D1651793

Thanks for reading, and congratulations to all the Sweet Sixteeners for this year's Men's tournament!

[UPDATE] I almost forgot... my only miss was that I predicted Marquette to make the Sweet Sixteen.

Last edited:
@Foolkiller:

So, I guess it's My team (Notre Dame) versus your team (Kentucky) in the NIT quarterfinals, huh?

wanna take me up on a bet? PM me if you're interested!

That is, if you even care. Go Irish!

@Foolkiller:

So, I guess it's My team (Notre Dame) versus your team (Kentucky) in the NIT quarterfinals, huh?

wanna take me up on a bet? PM me if you're interested!

That is, if you even care. Go Irish!
If I did care, I don't bet. And I would smack talk, but I'm too depressed after their near-loss last night.

FoolKiller, do you fear that Kentucky might run Billy G. out of town if they don't win the NIT? How much patience do you have in the former Texas A&M coach?

Back