College Basketball 2012-2013

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 82 comments
Good game going on right now. It's Temple at #6 Kansas with the game tied at 50. 8:10 left in the game.

Now that college football is done, the collegiate sports attention mostly turns to basketball. One of many games tonight is Clemson at Duke.

Enjoy your hoops on the road to March Madness.

Duke played well, but State hit all the shots when we cut it to two or four. At least Coach K didn't pull a Roy and take all the starters to the locker room and leave the subs on the floor alone when opposing fans rushed the court.

If FSU can beat Carolina it'll still be a good day.

Big match coming up this weekend in the Big East. It's #6 Syracuse at #1 Louisville this Saturday. A great non-conference match this Saturday involves #8 Gonzaga playing at #13 Butler.

It's all about college hoops now that college football is done. Of course, I do anticipate the starts of college lacrosse, college baseball, and college softball. The road to March continues!

Two good ACC matches tonight. It's #25 Miami hosting #1 Duke, and Georgia Tech at North Carolina. Plenty of great action tonight.

DOWN GOES DUKE (AGAIN)!

Article title on Huffington Post: "No. 1 Duke Embarrassed By Miami". Score on the scoreboard: 90-63. Is it safe to say the Hurricanes blew away the Blue Devils? This is almost like eating something bad which ends up breaking you down to where you feel terrible. This root canal Duke took is likely going to lead to a new #1. But really in college basketball, ranking isn't really as important towards postseason aspirations as it is in college football. Plus, you're going to lose anyways in basketball no matter how much you try to fend off trying to remain unbeaten.

CAM is going to hate me a little more when I type this: Duke loses, North Carolina wins (79-63 win at home over Georgia Tech). On the bright side, East Carolina beat UAB 91-85 at the University of Alabama-Birmingham. Sadly, my [Houston] Cougars lost 87-72 at home to Tulsa.

Basketball rankings are completely pointless. What you get is a season long race to get the #1 target on your back and see how long you can run around before it gets shot off.

Then the tourney rolls around, Virginia Commonwealth and Northern Iowa charge into the final four, none of it mattered, and that's that.

Everyone is going to lose, try to lose less than everyone else, and make sure you win 6 straight in March :)

All that being said, it's a fantastic sport, I'm ecstatic to see Puke... I mean Duke...(no I don't) fall, and I'm happy with my hawks sitting right behind that #1 target but not wearing it. Screw the fab five, Ben McLemore is easily the best freshman in the country, if not the best player in college basketball.
Roooooooooooooooooooooooooooooock
Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasaaaaaalk
Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayhaaaaaawk
KU

Later tonight, it's #1 Michigan at #3 Indiana. The Super Bowl is not the ONLY big game this weekend! Both of these teams are definitely for real.

I have an idea, how bout no one post on this thread for a while until college basketball exists again (when I get over KUs hideous loss today)

Droppin' like flies around a bug light...

DOWN GOES MICHIGAN!
DOWN GOES KANSAS!
DOWN GOES SYRACUSE!
DOWN GOES WICHITA STATE!
DOWN GOES SAN DIEGO STATE!

There was a lot of good action today. A number of games went into Overtime. My Houston Cougars even needed Overtime to beat SMU in Dallas. North Carolina needed Overtime to survive at home against Virginia Tech. Kentucky survived in College Station against Texas A&M... right- in Overtime. Maybe one of the biggest surprises to me was Illinois State beating Southern Illinois' brains out in a massive blowout. I know a lot of people don't care about mid-majors, but it was sad seeing Southern Illinois get smashed by the Illinois State Redbirds.

I saw only so much of Michigan losing at Indiana. Most of what I saw seemed like Michigan stumbled one too many times and didn't execute when they had to. You CAN'T do that and expect to win at Indiana. And so... #1 goes down.

As for Kansas, I hate to say it- all good things must come to an end. Oklahoma State did the impossible- beat Kansas at Kansas. To me, doing this is as difficult as beating North Carolina at North Carolina, or (especially) Duke at Duke. Kansas is near impossible to beat at home as it is when taking on North Carolina or Duke at their respective homes. Impossible, but possible. That said, I extend my sympathies to the Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU nation on this sad loss. Oklahoma State is usually a very good basketball school. So it's not like Oklahoma State is some weak sauce program.

Congratulations to all other winners.

[UPDATE/EDIT] Duke didn't need Overtime to take down Florida State at Florida State. East Carolina hammered Rice (perfectly fine since I'm a U. of Houston fan) at Rice.

Last edited:
On February 22 and 23, Bracketbuster matches will take place. These are those underrated teams bound to get some face time nationally and may potentially screw up your brackets come March. Here are the matches for this season's Bracketbusters (not in any particular order):

* Iona vs. Indiana State
* North Dakota State at Akron
* Northwestern State at Niagara
* Montana at Davidson
* Detroit at Wichita State
* #16 Creighton at St. Mary's
* South Dakota State at Murray State
* Denver at Northern Iowa
* Ohio at Belmont
* Eastern Kentucky at Valparaiso
* Canisius at Vermont
* Pacific at Western Michigan
* Stephen F. Austin State at Long Beach State

Not that it matters, but guess who the new #1 is after Michigan's swoon on Saturday night? It's Indiana. Four straight weeks, #1 has fallen. Will it be five after this week? Later this week is supposed to be Ohio State at Michigan. Yes- the basketball version of the football rivalry.

Did you know that Kansas lost last night at TCU? They lost 62-55 for TCU's first-ever Big XII win. Bill Self (to put it plainly) lost his marbles punking out his team. You can probably look online for videos of his tirade, but I'd be pretty damned disappointed to lose to a team like TCU.

I don't know what's wrong with my team :/

Terrible passing, terrible shooting, terrible decision making, terrible shot selection, less than average defensive effort over the last 2 games...I don't know why

Time to grow up boys March be a comin'

:lol:

If Cody Zeller is an All-American with that last defensive play against Illinois, I am the greatest basketball player to have ever walked this Earth by comparison.

I'm still laughing.

Making 10+ threes in the first half helps a lot. Good first half from my Blue Devils, but no lead is safe until the end as they have proven multiple times.

Last edited:
Jayhawks are back, reclaimed the state and the conference in the fieldhouse tonight. Ben McLemore put up 30 on his birthday :)

We looked much better, still think Miami looks like one of the best right now

A lot of people think Miami should be #1 in the nation. But considering how unlucky #1 is in this season in men's NCAA D1 basketball, I don't know if the Hurricanes want the top rank.

I just saw the highlights of Kansas neuter the Wildcats of Kansas State. Congrats to the Jayhawks of KU.

A lot of people think Miami should be #1 in the nation. But considering how unlucky #1 is in this season in men's NCAA D1 basketball, I don't know if the Hurricanes want the top rank.

I just saw the highlights of Kansas neuter the Wildcats of Kansas State. Congrats to the Jayhawks of KU.

#1 not a good badge to have this year. I don't think anyone wants it, but Miami is definitely one of the teams to beat right now.

"Neutered". I like that :)

I think I know who CAM is picking to win tonight between North Carolina at Duke. Rivalry Week continues tonight. UNC/Duke is sure to be epic as per usual. Two in-state schools that wear two different blue colors and are two different factories for NBA talent. Have at it, boys.

A rivalry game of that caliber always has the potential to be a great game, but this year UNC is only a factory of suck. As much as I'd love to see Duke lose, ill be surprised if it happens at Cameron.

'Cuse @ UConn will be interesting.

GTHC.

And why I utter that statement:

"I absolutely, positively, unequivocally, without a doubt, downright hate Duke."

-Carolina fan on Facebook.

Absolutely no provocation, no mean posts on his wall, just outright stupidity.

So, once again, GTHC and Blue Devils forever.

The day I don't have to see Mason Plumlee's face embarrassing us anymore will be divine. I want Jabari Parker and I want him now, I haven't had the good fortune of being able to watch a legit thug in the post instead of the weakling duo for going on 5 years.

And it shows you how much class Roy has to call that last timeout. Go Blue Devils.

Last edited:
Be careful when March comes around. This weekend's Bracketbusters matches feature teams that could potentially screw up your bracket should they make the tournament. Among the many matches are North Dakota State at Akron- which is tonight. While there are still a lot of good conference matches this weekend, this weekend is all about the Bracketbusters.

Enjoy this weekend of college hoops.

DOWN GOES MIAMI! Miami failed 80-65 at Wake Forest. Their record in the ACC is now 13-1 after this loss. Their remaining schedule: Virginia Tech (Wed.), at Duke (next Saturday), Georgia Tech (following Wed.), and Clemson (Sat. after next).

You know who else got smashed? TCU. Kansas ripped TCU a new backside with a 74-48. This ownage is absolute revenge from them getting upset earlier this season. I tell you- TCU fits in just fine in the Big XII for football. Basketball... not so much.

Back