• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 157 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Months have passed since the University of Connecticut defeated the University of Kentucky in the Men's Final Four in North Texas (AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX). The women saw the University of Connecticut defeat Notre Dame in Nashville. Players have since either stayed in school or entered various drafts. Now, it's time to start a new season of college basketball.

What makes college basketball so intriguing? It is where you have many schools across the nation engage in the dramatic and pulse-pounding game of basketball. It is where some smaller schools can take down bigger schools. If you are used to football, you'll learn of some non-football schools like Gonzaga, Creighton, St. John's, Marquette, Oakland, Denver, San Francisco, and many more. For most people, nobody really cares about or follows college basketball unless it's tournament time in March. But even still, a bunch of great non-conference and conference games make up what makes college basketball so amazing to follow. You never know what will happen when you play two 20-minute halves of basketball goodness. Unless you win your conference championship, you'll need to really convince the selection committee that you deserve a chance at the National Championship. Even the drama of trying to be among the Last Four In is a challenge in itself. Buckle your seat belts- another wild ride of college basketball is about to get served up proper!

This season, the NCAA Division 1 Men's Final Four will be in Indianapolis at Lucas Oil Stadium; and the NCAA Division 1 Women's Final Four will take place in Tampa Bay.

To all of my college basketball fans, good luck to all of your team(s) and have a great season.

It will be time to tip off a new season of hoops. Here is the USA TODAY/ESPN Top 25 in NCAA Division 1 Men's hoops:

01 - Kentucky
02 - Arizona
03 - Duke
04 - Wisconsin
05 - Kansas
06 - North Carolina
07 - Florida
08 - Virginia
09 - Louisville
10 - Texas
11 - Wichita State
12 - Villanova
13 - Gonzaga
14 - Iowa State
15 - Connecticut
16 - Virginia Commonwealth (VCU)
17 - San Diego State
18 - Michigan State
19 - Oklahoma
20 - Ohio State
21 - Nebraska
22 - SMU
23 - Michigan
24 - Syracuse
25 - Iowa

Just about all of these teams could reach the tournament this season. Then again, they may just fall apart like a crappy car and have to settle for some future season to make the tourney. They will certainly be teams to watch.

College basketball is back and in anger! At least... college basketball among NCAA Division 1 schools. This weekend sparks a number of mostly exhibition-type games. Most of the real action takes place once all the conference games begin either in late December or early January. There are still some fairly good games to enjoy even if none of the exhibition tournaments (like the Maui Invitational) aren't going on. So if you're a college hoops fan- men's basketball and/or women's basketball, it's time to hoop it up again!

Good luck to all of your team(s), and I hope your school has a great season.

Enjoy this college basketball marathon going on! Currently on TV is Wichita State at Memphis on ESPN.

[UPDATE] WiSU AT Memphis. The Dish Network info got me confused. I edited this post.

Last edited:
Well, if that game is an indication of Kentucky's talent, the NBA teams will be tanking for someone from Kentucky. That game hardly was even close.

DOWN GOES NORTH CAROLINA!

Butler beat #5 North Carolina 74-66 earlier today. They'll face the winner of Oklahoma vs. UCLA in the Battle 4 Atlantis semifinals.

Most of the exhibition tournaments are wrapping up as of this post. Right now, there are games such as the 7th Place Game of the EA Sports Maui Invitational between Missouri and Chaminade.

Going on right now is a Quarterfinal game of the Great Alaska Shootout between the University of the Pacific and the University of Alaska-Anchorage. You got to see the new arena that the University of Alaska-Anchorage has as its arena- the all-new Alaska Airlines Center. It could easily pass as an NCAA D1 arena. Or maybe it is an arena that very much would serve UAA well if it were to upgrade to NCAA Division 1. I even said this on Twitter:

"The UAASeawolves' new basketball arena looks beautiful. It could EASILY pass for an NCAA D1 arena. #GreatAKShootout" -me ("johnbmarine" on Twitter)

Since it is Thursday here in Houston as of this post, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Louisville coach Rick Pitino joined the 700 win club. He is the 20th coach to hit this milestone in D-1 Basketball.

The New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) picked up their first-ever win against a Top 25 team earlier today. They beat #17 Michigan 72-70 at Michigan. Tough break for the Wolverines to lose to the NJIT Highlanders.

In their first ever game vs. a top 25 team also. Hope that will secure them a chance to finally make a conference.

There were other big wins on the day, including the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay taking down the University of Miami Hurricanes 68-55 in Miami. The Ospreys of the University of North Florida took down the Purdue Boilermakers 73-70 at Purdue. Those two were among some of the more surprising wins from today. ANYTHING can happen- especially in college basketball.

Can you believe Eastern Kentucky beat Miami 72-44 in Miami? No- this is not a typo or an April Fool's Joke. The Colonels of Eastern Kentucky University beat the #18 Miami Hurricanes (as in the University of Miami in Florida) 72-44. Unbelievable.

Coach K has 999 wins. If Duke wins this Sunday on the road at St. John's, he will get win #1000 as coach of the Duke Blue Devils. Love or loathe Duke, love or loathe Coach K, this will be a great accomplishment if and when he gets that 1000th win.

Mike Krzyzewski did it. He got his 1000th win as coach today. Coach K (or "Coach1K") and his Duke Blue Devils got it done at St. John's with a 77-68 win. You got to hand Coach K respect whether you love or loathe him and/or Duke University.

With Super Bowl XLIX done, most of the attention now mostly focuses on stuff like the Daytona 500 and March Madness.

My beloved Houston Cougars FINALLY got their first conference win when the defeated the defending National Champions- the Connecticut Huskies by a score of 70-68. We led all game long despite a late rally by the Huskies. Houston was 0-8 in The American heading into this game. UH is now 9-12 overall on the season.

Elsewhere, you may have heard of Duke's impressive win at Virginia this past Saturday after dropping one at Notre Dame earlier last week. I mostly saw the final portions of the Duke at Virginia game and was stunned at how Duke held together and hand Virginia their first loss of the season. Only Kentucky remains unbeaten now in the men's ranks. There were also upsets such as Richmond defeating Virginia Commonwealth from this past weekend.

This is usually the time of year people follow college basketball. So enjoy the ride heading into Selection Sunday and all the tournament chaos that ensues after Selection Sunday!

I've always been a bit surprised there are so few college basketball fans around the site here. :boggled: Glad to see you keeping the thread alive, @JohnBM01.

I am not really into college basketball as much as I'm into college football. That said, all I want to do broaden the range of topics and try to contribute to them as much as I can. There are also people who only try to follow college hoops only when it's tournament time. I at least try to keep the thing relevant. But yes... I do what I can.

Hm. To watch Kentucky/Georgia or to watch Wisconsin/Indiana tonight. Decisions, Decisions. I think I'll try to watch Kentucky if I can to see if there will still be a lone unbeaten team after tonight.

I've always been a bit surprised there are so few college basketball fans around the site here. :boggled: Glad to see you keeping the thread alive, @JohnBM01.
I'm into CBB, just my team is either cast out to sea due to independence (NJIT) or is just plain horrible (Rutgers).

In women's college basketball tonight, Geno Auriemma became the fastest coach to 900 wins as #2 Connecticut ran over Cincinnati 96-36 at UConn. Geno accomplished this task in 1,034 games. He surely is one of the best coaches in the game- men's or women's college hoops. My congratulations goes out to Geno Auriemma on a job well done tonight and throughout his career as a coach.

I like college hoops as well. Plus I'm really liking WVU's chances this year
Ah...WVU... I still hold a slight grudge against you guys for knocking us (Kentucky) out of the tournament in 2010, when we had John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins! :P

Ah...WVU... I still hold a slight grudge against you guys for knocking us (Kentucky) out of the tournament in 2010, when we had John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins! :P
I liked that game though. Oh well I don't think you guys won't have that problem this season

These are just some random musings...

West Virginia's looking pretty good so far this season. Some people think Gonzaga may finally emerge and perhaps be a Final Four team this season. As of this post, I am alternating between St. Louis at Fordham (NBC Sports Network) and DePaul at Butler (FOX Sports 1). In looking at the Big East standings, I never realized Villanova has only two losses overall.

Later tonight is Louisville at Virginia. It should be a good one between the (respective) Cardinals and Cavaliers.

I talked about Coach K getting to 1,000 wins, but let's tip the hat to someone else who recently crossed 1K wins. Meet Herb Magee of NCAA Division 2's University of Philadelphia. I usually regard this non-football school for it's women's basketball program. However, the men aren't too shabby either as the Philadelphia Rams ran over the Eagles of Post University 80-60 today. Here is the report from the University of Philadelphia on Magee's milestone:

http://philaurams.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/releases/20150207j4vk20

So, uh... welcome another coach to the 1,000 wins club, GTPlanet! Herb Magee joins Coach K of Duke (men) and Pat Summitt of Tennessee (women) as coaches to accumulate 1,000+ wins as coach.

Sad day in college basketball. Dean Smith, the legendary coach former coach of North Carolina died at the age of 83 last night. My thoughts and prayers go out to all whom have known and loved this coaching legend. How will you remember Dean Smith?

Latest Posts

Back