College Basketball: 2015-2016 Season (Men and Women) - Join the GTPlanet ESPN Bracket Group (OP)!

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 174 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
It's time to think about the new season of college basketball. It is time for various schools to compete to rock March with tournament play. This season will be a much different sort of season with many new changes to the Men's game and the Women's game. Fewer timeouts. 30-second shot clock. Four 10-minute quarters (women). It will be a season with all sorts of new promise. College basketball is where small scools can stun the bigger schools. If you are used to college football schools, some non-football schools may be new to you. Such schools include (among others) Marquette, Creighton, Oakland, Beinghamton, Florida Gulf Coast, San Francisco, Gonzaga, all among many others. Which team(s) will have that One Shining Moment this season?

GTPlaneteers, if college basketball is what you love, this is your thread. Ready to hoop it up for a new season? Let's do this!

[UPDATE] The men's bracket has been set as of yesterday! If you want to take part in the ESPN GTPlanet bracket group, please visit: http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2016/en/group?groupID=1116649 . Get your bracket together and show your skill!

Last edited:
First thing first, I prefer college basketball over the NBA. College basketball just has an aura and magic to me that I can't seem to find when I watch an NBA game.

Second, I hope that "My bracket sucks" does better this year in the more-than-likely GTP NCAA bracket on ESPN. :lol:

I hope that Michigan goes .500 this year. It would be nice to have a tournament appearance, but I'm not sure how things will go. If LeVert is healthy, they should be okay. It will also help that Michigan's young core will have more experience this year.

SMU won't be going to the big dance for the next 3 years due to NCAA sanctions, and it is possible that Rick Pitino's Louisville team might not go due to sanctions (depending on how the investigation goes). The 2015-2016 season is already off to an interesting season, and it hasn't even began yet.

Absolutely, AnthonyD1993. Michigan has improved the past few years. Most people usually think of Michigan State as far as the best team in the state of Michigan. The Wolverines will probably have an impressive season. To me, all Michigan has to do is take down Michigan State, Wisconsin, Indiana, and oh... that school known as THE Ohio State University. You know, I would also add the 2002 National Champs- Maryland to that mix also among Big Ten schools. Pending some sort of collapse or some brutal season, Michigan should be fine this season. I don't know about them maybe going deep into the tournament should they get in. I could see them as a Sweet Sixteen or even an Elite Eight team should all go well.

I've never followed college basketball before nor do I have the ability to watch, but I'm really keen to see how Ben Simmons does.

So, two weeks until games begin eh? I'm hoping I'll be able to watch Ben Simmons' debut at a mate's place.

Jayhawks start their "give the little schools in the state money" games tomorrow night. They play 2 games to get they guys at the smaller schools a chance to play in the old barn. Guess the Champions Classic is over now, so Big Blue your kids get to come play in Allen Field House this year. Big 12 vs. SEC challenge I would assume. So I would assume the Hawks will be in Rupp Arena next season.
So now where is the Tarheels fan at?

It is safe to say college basketball season is here in anger. There was already an exhibition this past Friday between Kentucky State at Kentucky. Some of this week's games include North Carolina vs. Temple, Florida vs. Navy, Siena vs. Wisconsin, and games like that. Who knows? Some or all of these teams may make the NCAA Tournament this season.

One thing to note about this college basketball thread, always remember this thread is about men's hoops AND women's hoops. So feel free to discuss women's hoops in addition to men's hoops if you follow women's college basketball.

College basketball is... pretty much back. There aren't as many enticing matchups, but there will be no shortage of roundball action on the collegiate front. So go enjoy this first real weekend of college basketball. Later this month, we'll surely see the major regular season tournaments like the Maui Invitational, the various conference matches, and stuff like that.

Enjoy some college basketball, and good luck to all of your team(s).

Earlier today, Radford University and Georgetown University needed Double Overtime to settle their differences. And in the end, the Radford Highlanders upset the Georgetown Hoyas for the 82-80 win. Radford splashed a three-pointer with 1.5 seconds left in the 2nd Overtime to put Radford ahead for good. Congrats to this non-football school from Virginia.

Simmons debuted with a double-double, 11pts, 13reb and 5ast and everyone's very excited with the way he did it.

Nice! I don't usually hear of double-doubles or even triple-doubles in college hoops too much. You certainly hear of these at the pro level.

It is the Tip-Off Marathon on the ESPN networks. Later tonight, look at what is on the card:

* Kentucky vs. Duke
* Kansas vs. Michigan State

Lots of college hoops to love if you're a fan. As of the time of this post, I'm looking at Colorado at Auburn.

It was a good win for the Sooners yesterday afternoon against Memphis. The Tigers played them very tough, but Oklahoma was able to pull the win out late.

KU blows a nice lead yet again. Got to hand it to Valentine, looked like an all-american in the 2nd half. These early games are just mind boggling.

It was a good win for the Sooners yesterday afternoon against Memphis. The Tigers played them very tough, but Oklahoma was able to pull the win out late.

Are there multiple teams called the Tigers? Because I know Simmons' LSU team are the Tigers and I don't think they've lost yet. Benny had another good game the other day, 23pts, 16reb and 3ast.

Are there multiple teams called the Tigers? Because I know Simmons' LSU team are the Tigers and I don't think they've lost yet. Benny had another good game the other day, 23pts, 16reb and 3ast.
The Tigers are probably one of the most common names for teams that I can think of. Off the top of my head I can think of the Clemson Tigers, the LSU Tigers, and the Auburn Tigers just to start.

I can go further with more Tigers... at least in NCAA Division 1: Texas Southern, Memphis, Missouri, Savannah State, and Pacific (among others) are also teams with Tigers as their nickname.

There were a few big wins from yesterday. One of them was the University of Miami crushing ranked Utah by about 30. George Mason beat (I believe) Oklahoma State in overtime.

Enjoy somemore college hoops this weekend.

Earlier today, a loud thud could be heard from a long distance away as Northern Iowa upset #1 North Carolina 71-67. HUGE win for the Northern Iowa Panthers. Or as I like to say... DOWN GOES NORTH CAROLINA!

Yes. There are also a whole bunch of Eagles, Bulldogs, Panthers, among others.

Simmons had 21pts, 20reb and 7ast against Marquette but it wasn't enough. LSU lost their first game, now 3-1.

Well KU finally got their player from Mali on the floor. :) It appears he had a great time. Too bad the the NCAA couldn't have allowed him to play earlier. We might of got to see him play against Vandy, at least they were a top 20 team. Now we enter the dead zone, very few good games that weren't set up some years back.

About this time of year are all of the conference challenges, such as the ACC vs. B1G Challenge. I think more people will start to keep a few more tabs on college hoops now that the college football regular season winds down. The real madness will happen when the conference games come around.

I think LSU have lost 3 straight. That sounds really bad, aren't good college teams supposed to win almost every game?

There are some pretty good college games tonight. Tonight, we got Indiana at Duke as part of the ACC/B1G Challenge. Duke surely is a power. Indiana is still a big deal. This one is probably the must-see game of the night of the different games tonight.

Now as far as Louisiana State University is concerned, LSU is a [gridiron] football power, but not as ballin' in hoops. They aren't sorry in basketball, though. LSU used to have a solid women's basketball team. I am not so sure if they are any good anymore in women's hoops. I will probably have to follow LSU men's basketball just to see how Ben Simmons does. He'll surely make Australia proud as has so many other Aussies that have played here in the States.

Kentucky is the only SEC school that really cares about basketball and that wins a lot. Florida had a good run under Billy Donovan, and Tennessee had the best seasons the program ever had a few years ago. Recently the rest of the league has been mediocre at best.

As to women's basketball LSU was a top 5 team year in and year out, they were competing with Tennessee in for tge SEC titles, but they have really fallen on hard times lately and have been struggling to even make the NCAA tournament.

I will probably have to follow LSU men's basketball just to see how Ben Simmons does. He'll surely make Australia proud as has so many other Aussies that have played here in the States.

He delivered big today, 43pts, 14reb, 7ast and 5stl. Though no points scored outside the paint, he needs to become a perimeter threat as well to become a true superstar. At least Lebron level 3pt shooting.

Back