College design project - wheel stand - help please?

  • Thread starter Thread starter n.andrew
  • 30 comments
  • 6,237 views
Messages
7
First off, hi :) First post so please be kind :)

Anyway, for my college design tech project I'm building a wheel stand for my G27, and wondered if some of you guys that use wheel stands just now (or those who don't but want one) could answer some questions for me?
I need to prove I've done "Market research" and held something equivilent to a focus group, and I figured where better to ask than a forum dedicated to GT5 👍

Anyway, I'm in the pre-desgin phase at the moment, so just wondering:
If using a wheel stand/support, what features are most important to you? (e.g. Fold away, durable, price, shifter holder, cup holder etc).

Also, what sort of price would you be prepared to pay for a wheel stand/support?

Any features that aren't on current wheel stands/support that you'd love to have on one?

Massive thanks to anyone who can help me with this! :)


P.S
Hope it's not against forum rules or anything, if it is sorry mods, just delete the thread :)
 
If using a wheel stand/support, what features are most important to you? (e.g. Fold away, durable, price, shifter holder, cup holder etc).

Price. Wheel stands/seats are too expensive right now. They are the most expensive out of the wheel, ps3, and the game - which is ridiculous because it is the least important part.

Also, what sort of price would you be prepared to pay for a wheel stand/support?

No more than $50

Any features that aren't on current wheel stands/support that you'd love to have on one?

No
 
I made my own stand for my g27 (pcv), im sure you can find many designs if you check around the site.

a stand should be foldable; or in my case able to disconnect.

a stand should have the shift holder; that can be switched from side to side(missed that fact when making mine)

like said the most important selling point would be the price. Stands are too overpriced as it stands(:sly:)= 1/300 depending on if it comes with a seat.
 
If using a wheel stand/support, what features are most important to you? (e.g. Fold away, durable, price, shifter holder, cup holder etc).
Space/quality/durability.


Also, what sort of price would you be prepared to pay for a wheel stand/support?
$50-$200


Any features that aren't on current wheel stands/support that you'd love to have on one?
Somewhere to hide the cables.


I own the Wheelstand Pro today and it's fantastic.
 
First off, hi :) First post so please be kind :)

Anyway, for my college design tech project I'm building a wheel stand for my G27, and wondered if some of you guys that use wheel stands just now (or those who don't but want one) could answer some questions for me?
I need to prove I've done "Market research" and held something equivilent to a focus group, and I figured where better to ask than a forum dedicated to GT5 👍

Anyway, I'm in the pre-desgin phase at the moment, so just wondering:


Massive thanks to anyone who can help me with this! :)


P.S
Hope it's not against forum rules or anything, if it is sorry mods, just delete the thread :)
1. A couple of important things for me is the ability to fold away, a sturdy shifter holder, small footprint, lightweight and .

2. Price: Sub $150 USD

3. Better cable management.
 
Thanks so much for the ideas so far guys :)

Hadn't thought about a shifter that can switch sides, definitley need to include that one!

Cable management is a great idea too, that could be quite easy to do with a PVC based design I think aswell.

No more than $50

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks they're stupidly priced! I'm hoping to make one for £25 (that's about 40$ I think), most of them these days seem to be silly prices!
 
If using a wheel stand/support, what features are most important to you? (e.g. Fold away, durable, price, shifter holder, cup holder etc). Solid build, no flex. Comfortable seat - after 3 hours 1" of foam doesn't cut the mustard! Shifter holder is a given. Must be fully adjustable so you can get into just the right position. And easy to get out of!


Also, what sort of price would you be prepared to pay for a wheel stand/support?
Up to $600

Any features that aren't on current wheel stands/support that you'd love to have on one? Yes - commode (only joking), and a controller holder of some sort.
 
The key features would be, in order: Price, Size, Store-ability, and of course, rigidity

As everyone has been saying, wheel stands are rather expensive. I'm not going to consider one if it's not within my price range. I live on a college dorm and/or with my mother on vacations, so I don't have much space to set up either. If the design isn't compact but effective, I won't buy it. Likewise, if it's not something that I can fold away and tuck under a couch or a bed when I'm done, it's not going to be purchased either. And if it's flexing all about while I'm making hard turns, it's certainly going to be a minus.


On price, $50 sounds like a nice "average" price that's right in the middle of quality and function. However, college budget and all, a $30 stand would be much more in my range (yes, it's $20, but it's psychology also - the difference between $10 and $9.99).


I'll honestly admit that I haven't actively looked at wheel stands myself, so I don't know what they have with them. However, one option that you might consider is a storage box. If you're going to make a chair-style stand (one with the chair you sit on attached to it), you might consider melding a storage box that the wheel and pedals can all fit in when you store it away. Something similar on a couch-style stand (one that just sits in front of you while you sit on your own furniture) would be helpful as well, if you could figure out one.
 
The key features would be, in order: Price, Size, Store-ability, and of course, rigidity

As everyone has been saying, wheel stands are rather expensive. I'm not going to consider one if it's not within my price range. I live on a college dorm and/or with my mother on vacations, so I don't have much space to set up either. If the design isn't compact but effective, I won't buy it. Likewise, if it's not something that I can fold away and tuck under a couch or a bed when I'm done, it's not going to be purchased either. And if it's flexing all about while I'm making hard turns, it's certainly going to be a minus.


On price, $50 sounds like a nice "average" price that's right in the middle of quality and function. However, college budget and all, a $30 stand would be much more in my range (yes, it's $20, but it's psychology also - the difference between $10 and $9.99).


I'll honestly admit that I haven't actively looked at wheel stands myself, so I don't know what they have with them. However, one option that you might consider is a storage box. If you're going to make a chair-style stand (one with the chair you sit on attached to it), you might consider melding a storage box that the wheel and pedals can all fit in when you store it away. Something similar on a couch-style stand (one that just sits in front of you while you sit on your own furniture) would be helpful as well, if you could figure out one.

Storage box sounds great! Maybe if I attach a seat to it, the idea could be that the actual wheel stand (wheel/pedal holder) can fold flat and fit in a storage box under the seat, then it becomes a normal chair.... or can slot under a bed.


If using a wheel stand/support, what features are most important to you? (e.g. Fold away, durable, price, shifter holder, cup holder etc). Solid build, no flex. Comfortable seat - after 3 hours 1" of foam doesn't cut the mustard! Shifter holder is a given. Must be fully adjustable so you can get into just the right position. And easy to get out of!


Also, what sort of price would you be prepared to pay for a wheel stand/support? Up to $600

Any features that aren't on current wheel stands/support that you'd love to have on one? Yes - commode (only joking), and a controller holder of some sort.

Comfortable chair is a must then. Maybe raised off the floor to make getting in/out easy, similar to Playseats.

What do you mean by controller holder? Like those things they have at game stores when playing the PS3/Xbox that's on demo? The piece of plastic tubing/plastic arm that holds the controller in place (with some flexibility)?
 
On price, $50 sounds like a nice "average" price that's right in the middle of quality and function. However, college budget and all, a $30 stand would be much more in my range (yes, it's $20, but it's psychology also - the difference between $10 and $9.99).
I'm not trying to be rude, but get real. $50 is FAR from average. $50 is $20 cheaper than anything I've seen on the market, and that $70 model I'm referring to is from a private seller on eBay, and it only works with shifter-less wheels. It's a minimalist model made of PVC and plywood, and there's more than $30 worth of material in it.

OP, you should take a look at that eBay model I mentioned (http://cgi.ebay.com/Steering-Wheel-...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item53e0c93957 although I don't see their G25/27 stand available anymore...). It's the cheapest out there and folds completely flat. I've got one and it's quite sturdy. It's not as solid as a metal one, or one attached to a seat, but I haven't had any times where the strength difference between PVC and metal has become even a minor issue.
 
I'm not trying to be rude, but get real. $50 is FAR from average. $50 is $20 cheaper than anything I've seen on the market, and that $70 model I'm referring to is from a private seller on eBay, and it only works with shifter-less wheels. It's a minimalist model made of PVC and plywood, and there's more than $30 worth of material in it.

OP, you should take a look at that eBay model I mentioned (http://cgi.ebay.com/Steering-Wheel-...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item53e0c93957 although I don't see their G25/27 stand available anymore...). It's the cheapest out there and folds completely flat. I've got one and it's quite sturdy. It's not as solid as a metal one, or one attached to a seat, but I haven't had any times where the strength difference between PVC and metal has become even a minor issue.

That model looks interesting. I'm looking to make something a bit nicer looking than that though, but certainly appears functional.
One question - how exactly does it fold? Hinged or just a case of pull the PVC apart and slot it together later?
I'm either going for black painted PVC or metal, I know PVC is quite a bit cheaper so that may be the better option.....

Sure there's no more than $40 of material in that stand though? Or is plastic tubing very expensive in the US? Maybe I haven't looked in detail enough at the right parts but it seems a lot cheaper over here.
 
First of look here (Selfmade)and here(Racing Cockpits forum)
Then there are some top commercial ones:
Playseat
Fanatec
and so on.

If using a wheel stand/support, what features are most important to you? (e.g. Fold away, durable, price, shifter holder, cup holder etc).
1.Adjustability! The wheel, the pedals, the seat...( for small people as for huge)
2. The seat has to be comfortable not a racing seat, because we sit in our living rooms and that sometimes for hours!
3. space saving (Its hard but can be done)
4.a shift holder is a must have and it has to be on the right place, not beside the wheel!


Also, what sort of price would you be prepared to pay for a wheel stand/support?
200€ for selfmade (mine did cost so much) and 400 for something like the playseat.

Any features that aren't on current wheel stands/support that you'd love to have on one?

Movement (Hydraulic or just a bud kicker)
Keyboard, Pad, Cup holder
 
I currently am using a wheel stand pro and like it very much. I needed the ability to fold it away which helps for transportability and uncluttering. The adjustability is very important so that multiple drivers can be comfortable. My house has three drivers ranginng in age from 20 to 38. Price is important but in order to make something that is stable and decent quality I think you are going to be at least in the 120 dollar range (US or CAN) and that would be a bargain. I dont think cupholders are that important because you can always have table beside you. Sorry for the rambling but dont forget that if you are truly looking to put something to the market you wll need to look at all wheels and how they attach to the stand so that you can have as big a market as possible.

that hydralic seat above is absolutely rediculous and would probably tire you our after about an hour. I still want one.

Clip
 
If using a wheel stand/support, what features are most important to you? (e.g. Fold away, durable, price, shifter holder, cup holder etc).


**it has to be folding, so it can be put away while the wheel is bolted on.
**it has to be sturdy.

Also, what sort of price would you be prepared to pay for a wheel stand/support?

**$150 for a good one.

Any features that aren't on current wheel stands/support that you'd love to have on one?

** keyboard/controller holder ( just something where i can put them for easy reach ).
 
I have a game racer rig currently (thats for you to research ;) what it is) Its OK but i dont like the central post in the middle that the wheel is mounted on. To set the pedals for heel and toe driving I have to have them way to the right so the post doesnt foul my leg. That said this makes left foot braking quite hard. If I could improve on the Rig Id make a mount that goes around the legs instead of between them!

Better storage would be good too. Its in the spare room almost constantly set up. It does get in the way sometimes!
 
Last edited:
4.a shift holder is a must have and it has to be on the right place, not beside the wheel!

By "Right place" I assume you mean down at the drivers left/right knee height? Like an actual manual?

** keyboard/controller holder ( just something where i can put them for easy reach ).

Just somewhere to store them, or some form of attachment that means you can use them whilst they're fixed in place?

I currently am using a wheel stand pro and like it very much. I needed the ability to fold it away which helps for transportability and uncluttering. The adjustability is very important so that multiple drivers can be comfortable. My house has three drivers ranginng in age from 20 to 38. Price is important but in order to make something that is stable and decent quality I think you are going to be at least in the 120 dollar range (US or CAN) and that would be a bargain. I dont think cupholders are that important because you can always have table beside you. Sorry for the rambling but dont forget that if you are truly looking to put something to the market you wll need to look at all wheels and how they attach to the stand so that you can have as big a market as possible.

Definitley will need to look at a range of wheels. As part of my brief I need to prove I have given myself as large a customer base as possible for my product, so it has to be useable with ps3/ps2/pc/xbox etc.
 
I have a game racer rig currently (thats for you to research ;) what it is) Its OK but i dont like the central post in the middle that the wheel is mounted on. To set the pedals for heel and toe driving I have to have them way to the right so the post doesnt foul my leg. That said this makes left foot braking quite hard. If I could improve on the Rig Id make a mount that goes around the legs instead of between them!

Better storage would be good too. Its in the spare room almost constantly set up. It does get in the way sometimes!

A round the legs mount sounds good, I've heard a lot of people say the bar inbetween the legs on a wheel stand is downright annoying. Then again, that would increase costs. Thank god I don't have a budget to stick to :)👍
 
I have a G27 and a WheelStand Pro used with a recliner(the thin type- not a lazy boy).
Having said that, my setup is not the best.
This is what I think is important:
Price- under $100.00
Adjustable.
Stable.
Quiet, meaning it doesn't creak and squeak when I turn hard and lean a little.
A way to put the shifter lower than the steering wheel-NUMBER ONE problem I have right now is I can't get used to having one had actually in front of the wheel on the side shifting. Just feels wierd.

Portability- fold up somehow to store when not in use for people like me that use it with regular furniture in front of the living room big screen tv.
Tubing design is nice and have a way to route the wiring down through it.
Maybe a side plate to put stamps of all the Lambo's Bob has sent to the guardrail like a fighter jet? lol j/k on the last one.
 
If using a wheel stand/support, what features are most important to you? (e.g. Fold away, durable, price, shifter holder, cup holder etc).

Fold away, stability, cup holder would be nice


Also, what sort of price would you be prepared to pay for a wheel stand/support?

No more than $100

Any features that aren't on current wheel stands/support that you'd love to have on one?

Cable tidying feature woud be nice
 
By "Right place" I assume you mean down at the drivers left/right knee height? Like an actual manual?

Yes, sorry for my English. I often see good rigs with the shifter placed wrong.
 
Here's my homemade stand. Didn't bother putting the shifter in the "right place" as some of you have mentioned.

c469c974.jpg

35f93c32.jpg
 
Yes, sorry for my English. I often see good rigs with the shifter placed wrong.


Your English is very good! It's much better than my German ever will be :sly::)

This will be one of the main things on the design I think, a shifter in the right place, that can be placed on the left or right hand side. Maybe I'll design it so it can be mounted next to the wheel too for those that like that, but if not definitley down at the drivers knee in the proper position. Thanks :)
 
First- Strength. The ability to withstand lots of thrashing during a save is most important to me.
Second- Price. My current wheel stand cost around $30.
Third- Asthetics. I prefer something that looks professionally made.

Size is not a concern of mine. Although a cool feature about one nailed or screwed together is that it can be disassembled for moving. Then, it can be renailed or screwed back together. Another thing to consider is the ergonomics. I made mine for me, so that was taken in to consideration during construction.

For reference, I used pine 1x6x3 foot pieces, I think 6 pieces at $5 a piece.
 
Well I have a Playseat Evo/G25 combo that I have had for 2-3 yrs now. I bought the extra seat slider for it so it was easily adjustable, and easier to get in and out of.

What would I change?

Well like deester1 said The wheel mount pole being central is somewhat inconvenient.(tho I have no right left foot braking technique anyway)

Better cable management for sure. I mean I have it as tidy as possible and use black twist ties to keep it as in order as I can.
 
Gear knob: "right place", street cars have it down low, race cars have a long gear stick and have the knob up high. Up high near the wheel is actually quicker to change gears. You can also consider having the gear on left side as well as right side for different market.

table: consider a table or tray for TV remote, headphones, ps3 controller, keyboard mouse etc.

The Bar, between the legs is just silly. I can understand it for a cheap product. But there are some stands on the market for $1k with that middle bar. I don't understand.

Price: I say US$150 if not including the seat. $200 if you can make it pack away quickly and nicely. Plus $100 if you include a racing seat.

other possible features: Left-foot foot rest
 
I am also on a similar project like yours and this is what I am thinking about:

PVC will be better because the whole thing can be done in modules. At first I am doing the wheel stand to make sure that it will withstand the force of the wheel. Play with that for a while and then consider expanding from there. The next thing will be doing the module for the seat. I could then either be separated or joint together. And then if deemed necessary a third module could be done that could be a table to put the TV, game consoles, PC, etc.
 
If using a wheel stand/support, what features are most important to you? (e.g. Fold away, durable, price, shifter holder, cup holder etc).

Price, stability, compact size for storage

Also, what sort of price would you be prepared to pay for a wheel stand/support?

$100

Any features that aren't on current wheel stands/support that you'd love to have on one?

Built-in cable management (supplying a pack of twist-ties doesn't count)
 
First off, hi :) First post so please be kind :)

Anyway, for my college design tech project I'm building a wheel stand for my G27, and wondered if some of you guys that use wheel stands just now (or those who don't but want one) could answer some questions for me?
I need to prove I've done "Market research" and held something equivilent to a focus group, and I figured where better to ask than a forum dedicated to GT5 👍

Anyway, I'm in the pre-desgin phase at the moment, so just wondering:


Massive thanks to anyone who can help me with this! :)


P.S
Hope it's not against forum rules or anything, if it is sorry mods, just delete the thread :)

Hey Buddy, I made a tutorial on how I built my wheel stand. Check it out here...

http://kwysong.blogspot.com

5197381256_0876499a5b_b.jpg


It's made out of PVC and only cost like $15 to make. Hope this helps!
 
Last edited:
I've noticed a few of you mentioned that a bar between your legs would be inconvinient - and it actually works perfectly. If you look at the two pictures I posted, you can see that the pedals are offcenter to the right.

Since you use your left leg only for the clutch pedal, you only need enough room for your leg to comfortably reach the clutch pedal. With this setup, I never even touch the middle bar, and it is fully adjustable. (I can move the little table up/down and tilt it up/down along with tilting the middle bar).

I based the design off of the wheel stand pro, there are tons of videos online of it in action.
 
Back