College Football 2009: Postseason Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 51 comments
I think if Texas had executed any better (especially in the first quarter), they could have gotten two touchdowns than settling for two field goals. But when Alabama just kept on pounding the rock right in Texas' faces, it seemed all but over for the boys in burnt orange. But you know what? Hats off to Garrett Gilbert. The Longhorns could have rolled over and played dead, but they sure made it interesting in the 4th Quarter. Colt McCoy wanted to try to go for a National Championship. But after being knocked out of the game... his boys didn't win a National Championship, and he couldn't be there to lead a comeback.

Congratulations to the Crimson Tide. They'll be the boys to beat for next year.

[UPDATE] The Texas Freshman QB guy is GARRETT Gilbert, not Gilbert G.

Last edited:
Hard to throw stones at the backup for not being able to make TDs out of those two early field goals. He was still getting his feet under him on those drives. I'm impressed that we didn't false start and fumble our way out of them. Give him that field position at the end of the game and I think he punches it in.

Last edited:
Is it really necessary to pad your lead when you could take a knee and go home?.

Yes it is (unfortunately). It's all about the BCS points system,which will carry over into next years pre season rankings.Taking bets that 'Bama will be # 1.Thats why throughout the course of the college football season you see teams keep on racking up points in a game,that's what the BCS likes to see - blowouts !!! I don't totally aree with this method,but it is what it is I guess.

Pete Carroll is going pro.

Will he be successful or will he become another in the trend and wind up back in the College ranks in a couple years?

I've been watching this one. What will it do to USC ?

Probably not much, it's pretty much a coach's dream spot. Just during the Army All-American bowl about every player had USC in their top 10 even with the possibility of not being coached by Carroll.

One of my Facebook friends says that with Pete Carroll going to the Seattle Seahawks, that USCal should seriously look to Stanford's coach.

One of my Facebook friends says that with Pete Carroll going to the Seattle Seahawks, that USCal should seriously look to Stanford's coach.

Well, he is the coach of the team that USC can never seem to beat.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? It could be a big pick up for USCal to get this guy.

Here are your champions:

FBS: Alabama
FCS: Villanova
D2: Northwest Missouri State
D3: Wisconsin-Whitewater

I'm sad that Grand Valley State (D2) and Mount Union (D3) haven't been able to win the titles lately. It's probably a change of pace considering that Grand Valley State and Mount Union have been pounding peoples' brains in. I still want to see Grand Valley State and Mount Union play in a one-off regular season game. Those are two of the best non D1 schools in NCAA football.

We could make an "undisputed" National Championship game between Alabama and Boise State, but congrats to Alabama and all other champs.

Oregon State's coach will probably be the new USC guy.

They were saying on the radio last night that he really like OSU but if I got to believe it will be hard to resist USC. But if the NCAA comes down on them like I think they will that may not be that hard to turn down.

From Greg Easterbrook's Tuesday Morning Quarterback Article:

"It was Alabama 31, Texas 21 with 1:38 remaining when the Crimson Tide reached first-and-goal on the Longhorns' 5, with Texas down to one timeout. Saban could have created a memorable moment in college football lore by ordering his team to kneel. It's unlikely Brown would have called his final timeout, but even if he did, four kneel-downs would have resulted in Texas ball near the Texas goal line with a few seconds remaining -- no possible Texas victory scenario. Had Alabama knelt on the ball, Saban would have made a statement about sportsmanship and been widely praised for doing so. Instead, Saban was a scown and ran up the score, the better to boast of his victory margin."

kjb
They were saying on the radio last night that he really like OSU but if I got to believe it will be hard to resist USC. But if the NCAA comes down on them like I think they will that may not be that hard to turn down.

And now I'm hearing that Jack Del Rio will be the new USC guy if the Jags don't keep him around.

From Greg Easterbrook's Tuesday Morning Quarterback Article:

"It was Alabama 31, Texas 21 with 1:38 remaining when the Crimson Tide reached first-and-goal on the Longhorns' 5, with Texas down to one timeout. Saban could have created a memorable moment in college football lore by ordering his team to kneel. It's unlikely Brown would have called his final timeout, but even if he did, four kneel-downs would have resulted in Texas ball near the Texas goal line with a few seconds remaining -- no possible Texas victory scenario. Had Alabama knelt on the ball, Saban would have made a statement about sportsmanship and been widely praised for doing so. Instead, Saban was a scown and ran up the score, the better to boast of his victory margin."

Whatever.

I think Del Rio will be a bad fit for USC. There is talk in Jacksonville that he doesn't get along with management and is not well liked in the community because of his attitude. In college you need people skills and if he is not relating to folks where he is right now how will he fare in college where the coach is part GM , part school spokesperson. How he interact with boosters? But hey what do I know I could be wrong.

Jack Del Rio is staying with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Steve Mariuchi(?) may be the next USCal coach, or at least they are considering him.

kjb
I think Del Rio will be a bad fit for USC. There is talk in Jacksonville that he doesn't get along with management and is not well liked in the community because of his attitude. In college you need people skills and if he is not relating to folks where he is right now how will he fare in college where the coach is part GM , part school spokesperson. How he interact with boosters? But hey what do I know I could be wrong.

Maybe he doesn't get along with management and the community because they suck. Seriously, Jags management is just terrible. How can all of your home games be blacked out? Jacksonville doesn't even support the team.

It's Lane Kiffin?

Not sure exactly what drove them to that choice. Sure he coached there before, but so far as a head coach he has been average at best.

Last edited:
Kiffin to USCal. Lane Kiffin has one hell of a job ahead of him now. He's inherited what legacy Pete Carroll(?) has established. The long shot would be that Kiffin wins the BCS National Championship during his tenure at USCal. It's probably safe to say that the title of "USCal and the Pac-9" won't be needed anymore. The Trojans will have to rebuild like hell.

Well USC is nothing compared to Tennessee and the rebuilding they're going to have to do. Pretty much all of their playmakers are going to the NFL.

Well I think its a good fit. He's familiar with the program, knows the area. He is also bringing his dad and his d-line coach Ed Oergeon (sp?) and there is talk of Norm Chow coming back. USC is further along than UT. They maybe losing a few playmakers but they won't fall off the map just yet. I don't think they will lacking in talent. I suspect Kiffin will grom into the job and they may well win a championship sometime in the future.

As far as I'm concerned, UT is better without Lane Kiffin. He's proven exactly squat in the past few years: A mediocre job at Oakland, and a ~0.500 effort in Tennessee. All he's done is cause trouble for the program with his mouth. While a few recruits are likely getting hosed thanks to the NCAA rules against players transferring (coaches don't have to follow that rule), he did inform the University of Tennessee, and so he really hasn't violated anything. Heck, either USC or Kiffin's going to pay back $800,000 (likely USC) towards the premise of the broken contract.

As for the running up of the score, I do not feel it is an issue in a college football game between any two ranked opponents: Seventeen points is not "running up the score", anyhow.

1) Both teams ranked: Okay
2) Yearly/State rivalry: Okay
3) Revenge for last year's humiliating loss against same opponent: Okay
4) Playing a known weak opponent or a Division I-AA/II school: NOT okay (see below)

The difference in scenario 4 is that as long as you have not resorted to trick plays, excessive/unsportsmanlike penalties, and onside-kicks to try to make quick scores while ahead, you still have the right to score more points than your opponent. And "cover the spread", so the boosters are happy.

In the pros, it's part of the job description, and that's just tough crap. Some people get $7 an hour to be ridiculed in their jobs as well.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back