College Football: 2018 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 120 comments
Saban says Tua is going to play against The Citadel. Why I don't know. Hopefully he goes out for the first snap and hands off to a running back then gets pulled.

Word has it that Kansas is looking to Les Miles to be the new head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks' football team. Les Miles is a pretty solid coach. I'm pretty sure he can turn around Kansas and make them at least somewhat baller again. Kansas is at No. 6 Oklahoma tomorrow.

It's Saturday. Are you ready for some college football? Two big games are today. Early on, it will be Syracuse vs. Notre Dame to be played in The Bronx at Yankee Stadium. You may not see Giancarlo Stanton or Aaron Judge go yard, but you will see surprising Syracuse try to take down currently unbeaten Notre Dame. There is also the Golden Knights of the University of Central Florida trying to stay undefeated when they host the Cincinnati Bearcats.

By the way... my Houston Cougars defeated Tulane in a 48-17 rout back on Thursday here in Houston. However, it didn't come without injury troubles for both teams, and it also didn't come without a heated argument between solid defender Ed Oliver and head coach Major Applewhite. QB D'Eriq(?) King also got banged up. Coogs still doing pretty well snapping a back-to-back losing funk.

Go enjoy some college football today. I, of course, may check in and offer some thoughts on the action from this week. You are invited to do the same.

Musing time...

* Since when has Notre Dame- an Indiana school, became New York City's premier school? Even... considering Syracuse is the State University of New York? Notre Dame had all of the pinstripes and the New York Yankees style lettering. They did have rather nice uniforms, but it felt like Notre Dame took over New York City. They also took over Syracuse 36-3. An inconsequential field goal late in the game broke up the shutout. It was to safe face, mostly.

* 52-51 was the score in College Park, Maryland; as the Terrapins failed to down No. 10 Ohio State at home. The Buckeyes will take the win. Up next for THE Ohio State University? Some school called... the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

* DOWN GOES WEST VIRGINIA! The loud thud heard in Stillwater, Oklahoma was the sound of the Mountaineers brought back down to earth from their No. 9 ranking in a 45-41 victory. Sad to see wvumidget's heart broken with this loss.

* It was 9-6 in Lincoln, Nebraska as the Nebraska Cornhuskers downed the visiting Spartans of Michigan State. 9-6 is more like a high-scoring baseball game. The 'Huskers still got it done today.

* Before the big one against Ohio State, Michigan handled their business against Indiana 31-20.

Congratulations to all other winners from Saturday's games.

Kind of sad for Colorado. The Buffaloes had a pretty good first half or so of the season, but then just mostly fell off into mediocrity. Kansas hasn't really been great in football since Eric Mangino was coach. Hopefully these changes will turn around both Kansas and Colorado.

NDSU put on a clinic for Senior Day on Saturday downing the Southern Illinois Salukis 65 to 17 capping off a perfect 11-0 regular season!

Let's update those College Football Playoff rankings, shall we? Here you go...

--- College Football Playoff: Top 4 (Nov. 20, 2018) ---
1: Alabama
2: Clemson
3: Notre Dame
4: Michigan
--- College Football Playoff: First Two Out (Nov. 20, 2018) ---
5: Georgia
6: Oklahoma

The CFP matches would go like this:

* Alabama vs. Michigan
* Clemson vs. Notre Dame

This is a huge week of college football. Any of these six failing this week can cause chaos among the Top 4 and the First Two Out. Enjoy all of this week's action!

One quick musing to share...

College Football Playoff hopes for the University of Michigan- pretty much flushed down the toilet. What the heck happened at Ohio State? Ohio State seen as a home underdog. Basically, the Buckeyes overrated the Michigan Wolverines big time. How overrated? Try Ohio State beating Michigan 62-39. I know our Joey D was tired of the Jim Harbaugh experiment. Well, Michigan's "Revenge Tour" for 2018 was one win short. So Michigan was bested by Notre Dame and Ohio State. And worse, Michigan's regular season is over since the winner of Michigan and Ohio State would go on to play in the B1G Championship game next week.

Okay, maybe another musing to share. We know this week is mostly a week of rivalry games. There was a fight that broke out during the Egg Bowl (Mississippi State at Mississippi) that I saw on YouTube. Earlier today, a brawl broke out between North Carolina State at North Carolina. NC State won in Overtime at North Carolina 34-28.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games, even including Memphis destroying my injury-riddled U. of Houston Cougars yesterday.

Michigan failed (bad). LSU failed. Washington State failed. The penultimate College Football Playoff rankings will come tomorrow night. What I am mostly curious about is who will get that No. 4 spot and also where [still unbeaten] Central Florida will slot in. To me, I'll be happy if UCF even becomes one of the First 2 Out. We'll see how the rankings go tomorrow night.

By the way, speaking of LSU, MAN! No. 22 Texas A&M and No. 7 LSU resulted in a score that's more like a true "basketball on grass" game- 74-72 in seven Overtimes!

Most of the coaching wheeling and dealing have transpired as this coming weekend will mostly be conference championship games. So get ready for the new week of college football!

The penultimate set of College Football Playoff rankings were released earlier tonight. Here are your top four and the first two out:

(! = currently unbeaten)

--- College Football Playoff: First Four In (Nov. 27, 2018) ---
01 - Alabama!
02 - Clemson!
03 - Notre Dame!
04 - Georgia
--- College Football Playoff: First Two Out (Nov. 27, 2018) ---
05 - Oklahoma
06 - Ohio State

Oh, and in case you're wondering, UCF is 8th in the rankings. Central Florida is still undefeated for now.

On December 2nd, the final CFP ranks will be released. Whatever happens with the college football this weekend can really set the stage of who will play for a National Championship... and who may have to settle for next season for a National Championship opportunity.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens if Ohio State wins the Big 10 championship. That blowout loss to Purdue is really going to be a factor in whether or not they return to the playoff.

Alabama is going to win it because that's just what happens. It's one of the reasons I've stopped watching so much college football since the outcome is pretty much always the same. Still, I'd like to see Norte Dame win it.

If you want to call it this, then the SEC Championship Game is a College Football Playoff preview round. Unless the top 3 falter in any given manner, the top three are locked. What will be the real kicker is how the 4th slot plays out. I mean, it's like the "bubble teams" in college basketball- some will get in, others will see their hopes burst.

This will bring up some interesting scenarios. Consider the following...

* Alabama
Many feel Alabama will win it all again. But what if Alabama lost to Georgia in the SEC Championship game? Many still feel the Crimson Tide have done enough to remain a favorite to win the National Championship.

* Clemson
A few seasons ago, it was Clemson who bested Alabama to become National Champions. I am a bit surprised Notre Dame hasn't leap frogged Clemson. So maybe people bought into the Tigers more than the Fighting Irish. Clemson vs. Notre Dame may still be a great game should this be the Playoff match. However, what if Clemson gets knocked off in the ACC Championship game against Pittsburgh? I think if Pittsburgh defeats Clemson, Clemson may drop down to No. 4 or even be among the First Two Out. And then if that happens, then this would be the opening Oklahoma and/or Ohio State need to crash the Playoff party. This is granted that Oklahoma and Ohio State win their games. Oklahoma meets Texas; Ohio State meets Northwestern. Granted Clemson loses, Oklahoma or Ohio State could slot into the Playoff. But if Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State all lose... I feel Ohio State may fill the 4th slot. It may all depend on how severe the losses are for those teams.

* Notre Dame
Notre Dame is usually a glamour team, much like the Dallas Cowboys of the NFL, the Los Angeles Lakers of the NBA, or the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball. The good news for Notre Dame is that they don't have to play anybody. So basically, Alabama, Clemson, and Georgia can tackle each others' brains out while they just sit back and watch. Notre Dame might move up in the final rankings if Alabama and/or Clemson lose this weekend. Other than that, the Fighting Irish are a Playoff lock. Only way they'd be out of the Playoff is if the institutionally ban themselves from Playoff play.

* Georgia
This is another chance for Georgia to show they are among the best teams in the country. For Georgia, this seems like an Elimination Game for the Bulldogs. If Georgia loses to Alabama, they're done Playoff-wise. So Georgia is pretty much going to have to win to stay in. It is almost like a Play-In game. You know- win and you're in. A lot of people probably think Georgia will get run over by Alabama. It's going to be tough to try to stay in. The fourth spot of the College Football Playoff is a hot spot to be in. I think Georgia has to win to stay in the Playoff. Now... what if Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State all lose? I am not really sure if either Oklahoma or Ohio State will fill in slot No. 4 should all three teams lose.

That's how I feel about the top 4 in the Playoff. But let me envision an extreme scenario...

How Can UCF Get In?
Not many people are regarding the fact that UCF is undefeated. Not many people care, either. They do deserve some consideration. I mean, the Golden Knights are mostly a "who cares?" mid-major to some people. UCF will meet Memphis in the American Athletic Conference Championship. If calamity among the Top 4 happens, then Central Florida needs to be among the top 4. But if you ask me, I don't think the Playoff committee would give too much consideration into inviting UCF into the College Football Playoff. And to me, this is going to be the catalyst to spark the conversation of expanding the College Football Playoff to eight teams (or at least six) rather than just four. I still think the CFP will eventually become an eight-team playoff; and once it gets there- STOP! Perfect! Either way, it's going to be very difficult for UCF to even have a sniff of the Playoff rankings.

If the College Football Playoff field were expanded to eight, then positions 5-8 currently are Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, and UCF. The "First Two Out" here would be Florida and LSU at present.

Either way, this is going to be a crazy week where "survival of the fittest" will really come into play. Who will win to try to survive and have a chance to play for the National Championship on the NCAA FBS level? Let the games begin.

A lot of teams are done with college football this season, but there are still games slated for tonight and tomorrow. So are you ready for some of the action coming up this weekend? Enjoy all of the action to the max! Also, don't forget to check in this Sunday when the final College Football Playoff rankings are revealed.

If UCF actually played in a better conference, then I'd be more inclined to take them seriously. However, if they do get in, they'll be #4 at best and end up playing Alabama, where I'm certain it will be like Alabama over Notre Dame in the 2012 National Championship all over again.

Hard luck for Utah tonight. I'm still pretty impressed with the season they put together, especially after Tyler Huntley went down with an injury a few games back.

All that happens on this weekend will help set up the final Playoff four. So enjoy all of the action to come today and tonight! I may check in with a few thoughts. Or of course, you can always offer your own.

I don't think Alabama will beat Georgia and I'm a Bama fan. Tua has to have a clunker game somewhere plus Alabama doesn't do well in these high profile revenge types of games. If Georgia can run the ball, eat up the clock and keep Bama's offense off of the field, I think they can win.

Here are my latest thoughts on college football action of late, and I am sorry I didn't follow scores much to report...

* Alabama and Clemson win, but Georgia failed against Alabama. Oklahoma took care of Texas. Ohio State ran over Northwestern. UCF is still undefeated after taking care of Memphis. The Top 3 probably won't change in the College Football Playoff rankings, but all eyes are on that No. 4 slot. Stay tuned to tomorrow's Selection Show!

* Great to see Crash's Washington Huskies take down the Utah Utes 10-3. I read this was Washington's fewest points scored in a win since 1988.

* A certain GTPlaneteer is quite happy to see North Dakota State own Montana State in the NCAA FCS playoffs.

* Staying in NCAA FCS, it was Alcorn State that defeated Southern for the SWAC Championship.

So all eyes in the college football realm are on the final CFP rankings. Remember not to wait on me to post about those rankings once they are released, just come on in and chat about the final rankings.

The final College Football Playoff rankings are in! ...but who else is IN? Check it:

(! = unbeaten)

--- College Football Playoff: Final Rankings: First Four In ---
01: Alabama!
02: Clemson!
03: Notre Dame!
04: Oklahoma
--- College Football Playoff: Final Rankings: First Two Out ---
05: Georgia
06: Ohio State

So these are your matches starting on December 29:
#1 Alabama vs. #4 Oklahoma
#2 Clemson vs. #3 Notre Dame

And there you have it. What say you about these rankings? Did the CFP committee get it right?

[OMISSIONS]
Bill Snyder will reportedly retire as head coach of Kansas State. He has been legendary for K-State. B. Snyder is 79 years old at present.

Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama, QB) is set to undergo some surgery for his ankle and hopes to make it for Orange Bowl practice.

As much as Kirby Smart and others here in SEC country touted Georgia as still one of the best 4 teams, with 2 losses they aren't.

* Great to see Crash's Washington Huskies take down the Utah Utes 10-3. I read this was Washington's fewest points scored in a win since 1988.

On to the Rose Bowl it is!

Urban Meyer says he will retire after the Rose Bowl. He even reportedly says he's suffering from headaches with a cyst in his brain. I certainly hope he will be okay.

This weekend will be the Heisman Trophy presentation. Here are your finalists for this season's Heisman Trophy:

* Tua Tugovailoa (Alabama, QB)
* Kyler Murray (Oklahoma, QB)
* Dwayne Haskins (Ohio State, QB)

So it's safe to say a Quarterback will win the Heisman.

This weekend is also the Army-Navy Game. Army has been pretty baller as of late. Navy... not so much. Have yourself a great weekend!

Urban Meyer says he will retire after the Rose Bowl. He even reportedly says he's suffering from headaches with a cyst in his brain. I certainly hope he will be okay.

He will show up again. I bet Auburn will be on the phone to him right after the Rose Bowl is over.

Sorry I'm late. I actually overslept this morning and am barely catching up with this stuff. There is some college football going on as of the time of this post- an NCAA FCS playoff Quarterfinal match with No.8 Colgate at No. 1 North Dakota State. So NDSU plays in a dome? Later today is the Army-Navy Game. Later tonight, it is the Heisman Trophy Presentation, the 84th Annual, if I am told correct.

Anyhow, I hope you all have a great weekend.

Back