College Football: 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnBM01, Feb 5, 2019.

1. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

I waited until the end of Super Bowl LIII to begin to post a thread for the 2019 season of college football. It has been less than a full month as of the time of this post as when Clemson demolished and punked Alabama for the NCAA FBS National Championship. What will this season of college football bring? I don't know. You have no idea either. But we all know one thing- ANYTHING can happen. Some non-sexy names can make themselves known in the nation. Get ready for a new season of college football!

In case you want to know who all were champions in the 2018 season to see if they can defend their crowns, take a look at this list:

* NCAA FBS: Clemson
    * NCAA FCS: North Dakota State
    * NCAA Division 2: Valdosta State
    * NCAA Division 3: Mary-Hardin Baylor
    * NAIA: Morningside College (Iowa)
    * NJCAA: East Mississippi

Maybe the big story so far has been Jalen Hurts transferring from Alabama to Oklahoma. One has to imagine if Oklahoma will be a contender if Hurts has some absolute baller performance with the Oklahoma Sooners.

So let's talk college football! GO!

jbs0311 likes this.
  2. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

A few proposals were arranged recently for the 2019 season. Check this one out...

You all know that if a game goes into three Overtimes, you MUST go for two if you get a Touchdown. With a new proposal, if a game goes into five Overtimes, I read the teams will alternate two-point conversion attempts until one fails to convert in a session. So I'm guessing the two teams will start on the 3-yard line and try to convert until one can't convert. This should be interesting to see be implemented.

3. jbs0311

jbs0311

Sounds like a penalty shootout. Could be an interesting new rule, but I think it would get tedious eventually.

4. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Sad news from the college football world... former Arizona coach Dick Tomey died last night at 80 after a long battle with lung cancer. He is the winningest coach in Arizona Wildcats football history. He amassed a record of 95-64-4 across his 14 seasons at Arizona. Arizona is better known as a basketball school, but this is surely a sad day for the University of Arizona football program.

5. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

If you think winning too much is a good thing, one conference had an interesting way of "punishing" such teams. I meant to put this in my College Sports in General discussion, but most of this was fueled by an NCAA Division 3 football school. You see... the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota is an NCAA Division 3 school that is apparently too good. The MIAC (Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) was the former home of the Tommies of St. Thomas (MN) despite St. Thomas (MN) not committing any NCAA violations or anything. The Tommies are simply "too good," having won the conference championship 6 out of 9 times recently. They even beat a team 97-0 last season! Maybe the MIAC want St. Thomas (MN) to step up to NCAA Division 2 or something.

This just sounds bogus as a whole. I mean, you might as well bump up certain schools that seem to win often to step up to higher divisions. You know... look at North Dakota State, Grand Valley State, Mount Union, Wisconsin-Whitewater, and schools like that. What- you (as a conference) will want to exclude your team(s) from your conference so they can move up to a higher division or a better conference because of "competitive advantages?" For you soccer fans, that would be like Bayern Munich getting excluded from Bundesliga for being too good or having "competitive advantages." If you're going to be like that, you might as well make Alabama or Clemson be NFL teams.

This all sounds ludicrous.

6. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Want to be a paid college sports athlete? If one state has its way, you can profit from your likeness! However... your school may be unable to play for any NCAA National Championships. California is considering a "Fair Pay for Play Act" to allow for collegiate athletes to make money based on their name, likeness, and image. Passing this act will threaten California schools to not be a part of NCAA National Championship games and tournaments. That even includes college football. So for example, if schools like USCal or San Diego State win their conference championships, they may not get the chance to play for a National Championship. It may not even have to involve football, though I am posting this in this college football thread.

Here is a link I posted from my College Sports in General thread with more info on this: https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/06/25/ncaa-california-championships-fair-pay-play-law

If this holds true, how do you think college football (or any other college sports for that matter) will be affected?