• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 89 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
I waited until the end of Super Bowl LIII to begin to post a thread for the 2019 season of college football. It has been less than a full month as of the time of this post as when Clemson demolished and punked Alabama for the NCAA FBS National Championship. What will this season of college football bring? I don't know. You have no idea either. But we all know one thing- ANYTHING can happen. Some non-sexy names can make themselves known in the nation. Get ready for a new season of college football!

In case you want to know who all were champions in the 2018 season to see if they can defend their crowns, take a look at this list:

* NCAA FBS: Clemson
* NCAA FCS: North Dakota State
* NCAA Division 2: Valdosta State
* NCAA Division 3: Mary-Hardin Baylor
* NAIA: Morningside College (Iowa)
* NJCAA: East Mississippi

Maybe the big story so far has been Jalen Hurts transferring from Alabama to Oklahoma. One has to imagine if Oklahoma will be a contender if Hurts has some absolute baller performance with the Oklahoma Sooners.

So let's talk college football! GO!

A few proposals were arranged recently for the 2019 season. Check this one out...

You all know that if a game goes into three Overtimes, you MUST go for two if you get a Touchdown. With a new proposal, if a game goes into five Overtimes, I read the teams will alternate two-point conversion attempts until one fails to convert in a session. So I'm guessing the two teams will start on the 3-yard line and try to convert until one can't convert. This should be interesting to see be implemented.

A few proposals were arranged recently for the 2019 season. Check this one out...

You all know that if a game goes into three Overtimes, you MUST go for two if you get a Touchdown. With a new proposal, if a game goes into five Overtimes, I read the teams will alternate two-point conversion attempts until one fails to convert in a session. So I'm guessing the two teams will start on the 3-yard line and try to convert until one can't convert. This should be interesting to see be implemented.
Sounds like a penalty shootout. Could be an interesting new rule, but I think it would get tedious eventually.

Sad news from the college football world... former Arizona coach Dick Tomey died last night at 80 after a long battle with lung cancer. He is the winningest coach in Arizona Wildcats football history. He amassed a record of 95-64-4 across his 14 seasons at Arizona. Arizona is better known as a basketball school, but this is surely a sad day for the University of Arizona football program.

If you think winning too much is a good thing, one conference had an interesting way of "punishing" such teams. I meant to put this in my College Sports in General discussion, but most of this was fueled by an NCAA Division 3 football school. You see... the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota is an NCAA Division 3 school that is apparently too good. The MIAC (Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) was the former home of the Tommies of St. Thomas (MN) despite St. Thomas (MN) not committing any NCAA violations or anything. The Tommies are simply "too good," having won the conference championship 6 out of 9 times recently. They even beat a team 97-0 last season! Maybe the MIAC want St. Thomas (MN) to step up to NCAA Division 2 or something.

This just sounds bogus as a whole. I mean, you might as well bump up certain schools that seem to win often to step up to higher divisions. You know... look at North Dakota State, Grand Valley State, Mount Union, Wisconsin-Whitewater, and schools like that. What- you (as a conference) will want to exclude your team(s) from your conference so they can move up to a higher division or a better conference because of "competitive advantages?" For you soccer fans, that would be like Bayern Munich getting excluded from Bundesliga for being too good or having "competitive advantages." If you're going to be like that, you might as well make Alabama or Clemson be NFL teams.

This all sounds ludicrous.

Want to be a paid college sports athlete? If one state has its way, you can profit from your likeness! However... your school may be unable to play for any NCAA National Championships. California is considering a "Fair Pay for Play Act" to allow for collegiate athletes to make money based on their name, likeness, and image. Passing this act will threaten California schools to not be a part of NCAA National Championship games and tournaments. That even includes college football. So for example, if schools like USCal or San Diego State win their conference championships, they may not get the chance to play for a National Championship. It may not even have to involve football, though I am posting this in this college football thread.

Here is a link I posted from my College Sports in General thread with more info on this: https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/06/25/ncaa-california-championships-fair-pay-play-law

If this holds true, how do you think college football (or any other college sports for that matter) will be affected?

You know, the 2019 college football season is not really too far away. Your Saturdays are going to mean something again real soon. I watch and follow college football more than I do pro football. Hearing the college band and seeing the fans get involved are going to be treats, as they usually are with college football.

You GTPlaneteers who watch college football have no reason to be shy or lurk. If you have a favorite team or favorite teams, feel free to talk about them here! Counting myself, we got fans of schools like the following: Houston, Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia, Florida Atlantic, Michigan, Purdue, Ohio State, Washington, North Dakota State, Fordham, and more! So let's keep this thing going in advance of the start of the 2019 college football season...

The AP Top 25 Preseason Poll was unveiled today. So who are the Top 25 teams to look out for this season? Here is your Preseason Top 25 for the 2019 season of NCAA FBS college football:

01 - Clemson (first-ever Preseason No. 1 ranking in school history)
02 - Alabama
03 - Georgia
04 - Oklahoma
05 - Ohio State
06 - LSU
07 - Michigan
08 - Florida
09 - Notre Dame
10 - Texas
11 - Oregon
12 - Texas A&M
13 - Washington
14 - Utah
15 - Penn State
16 - Auburn
17 - UCF
18 - Michigan State
19 - Wisconsin
20 - Iowa
21 - Iowa State
22 - Syracuse
23 - Washington State
24 - Nebraska
25 - Stanford

The Big Ten has the most teams in the Preseason Top 25 for 2019. The B1G surely will be a tough conference to predict with a lot of loaded talent. For the first time since 2001, the University of Southern California is NOT in the Top 25. Have you any thoughts on this Preseason poll?

This season marks the 150th season of college football, apparently. ESPN College Gameday debuts for 2019 this Saturday. So you know Lee Corso will be thinking of what headgear or helmet or whatever to put on for certain feature games. Get psyched, GTPlanet college football fans! The wait is nearly over!

Clemson is the only ranked ACC team while the SEC has 6 in the Top 25. I would say Clemson has a pretty easy path back to the title game again.

I would mostly wonder if college football would seem less interesting if we have another Clemson vs. Alabama National Championship game this season. Or what if Clemson, Alabama, or both DON'T make it to the National Championship? I am thinking there will be a lot of people hoping for some teams to shake up the status quo atop the NCAA FBS level of college football. Clemson would surely have a relatively easy path to return to the College Football Playoff. But let's not hand Clemson top seed in the CFP, though. We still have to think about No. 2, No. 3, and No. 4. Maybe even imagine if those 5-8 feel they are deserving to compete for a National Championship should we have to consider teams getting snubbed.

ESPN has been promoting their new network devoted to the ACC. That channel will debut this Thursday. And note... the ACC in this case is the Atlantic Coast Conference, not Assetto Corsa Competizone, mind you.

Well, certainly a lot can change between Preseason polls and the final Top 25, AnthonyD1993. I think I remember two years ago or so that Florida State was ranked Top 20 or so but had a disappointing season. Top 25 means you're going to be put under a microscope and have a target on your back. Can you deliver? You are not guaranteed an excellent season or are expected to have an excellent season just because you're in the Top 25. This isn't the old Bowl Championship Series (BCS) model.

I kind of want to see how teams like Michigan, Texas, and Texas A&M do. I am even interested in seeing what teams not in the Top 25 could surprisingly enter the Top 25 and see how far up the ladder they could go. This 2019 season should be another fascinating season of college football to follow.

Miami vs. No. 8 Florida coming your way this Saturday! So get psyched to see the return of college football for yet another season. I am also interested in how ESPN will be celebrating 150 seasons of college football.

The first game of the 2019 season of college football involves the U. of Miami vs. Florida this Saturday. However, on this "Week 0" of college football, there is also a match this week involving Samford and Youngstown State on the NCAA FCS level. This is told to be the sixth-ever running of the FCS Kickoff. The Samford Bulldogs and the Youngstown State Penguins will clash in Montgomery, Alabama this Saturday with the game to be televised on ESPN.

College football in 2019. It's coming. Can you feel it? Are you ready?

HEADS UP!

Currently on ESPN, it's the NCAA FCS Kickoff with Youngstown State meeting Samford in Montgomery, Alabama. Don't forget we got Miami vs. No. 8 Florida to be played in Orlando later tonight.

College football. It's back.

[OMISSION] There is also a game coming up later tonight between Arizona at Hawaii/Hawai'i. So a little more college football for you fans tonight!

Last edited:
You waited long enough. Now...

COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BACK!

Many more games and many more teams will be playing this Labor Day weekend. This is a great week for college football fans since the NFL regular season won't start until next weekend. So enjoy the college greatness as we slowly transition from brutal Summer to cool Fall/Autumn, and then eventually the cold of Winter.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams this 2019 season.

On my way down to Minneapolis this morning for the NDSU "home" opener at Target Field against Butler. I've never been to a Bison game before so I'm very excited for this. Hope it turns out the way we all want it to!

You NEVER seen an NDSU game live? I hope you enjoy this game, TB!

We had one of the first FCS-beat-FBS moments the other night when Central Arkansas defeated Western Kentucky at WKU. It was 35-28 the score.

Lots of college football today and tonight. Enjoy the action!

So how are you GTPlaneteers liking college football so far? I usually provide some musings as the games go along, so let me start up this set of musings here...

* For the longest, Georgia State hasn't had a football team. The Panthers from Atlanta have played football since 2010, and they had only two wins all of last year. Tennessee went down at home against Georgia State 38-30. Rocky Top got rocked.

* Boise State and Florida State were supposed to play in Jacksonville, FL. However, because of the advancing Hurricane Dorian, the game was moved to Florida State. It was a 36-31 victory by the Boise State Broncos over Florida State today.

* A couple of teams scored 79 points today. Maryland won 79-0 over Howard University at home, and Penn State won 79-7 over Idaho at home. Maryland once scored 80 points over an opponent.

* Crash's Washington Huskies did good today by defeating Eastern Washington. 47-14 was the score as the Huskies devoured the EWU Eagles.

* How about we give a warm welcome to the Nebraska Cornhuskers? The Huskers hosted the Jaguars of the University of South Alabama. USA played Nebraska close, but it was the Huskers who pulled away for the 25-21 win.

* Kansas hosted the Sycamores of Indiana State University. Late, the Sycamores were bound to upset the Jayhawks. However, the Jayhawks got a late touchdown followed by a wonky... yet effective two-point conversion to win.

* I don't know if the GTPlaneteer in question is still active, but one GTPlanet individual is an Iowa State fan. The Cyclones of Iowa State were nearly toppled by the Panthers of the University of Northern Iowa. This one was settled in three overtimes as the Cyclones won at home.

* Michigan did good themselves with a 40-21 victory over the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee State.

* So Michigan wins... how about their biggest rivals? You know- Ohio State? The Buckeyes won 45-21 over visiting Florida Atlantic.

* Oregon and Auburn went at it in Arlington, TX, and it was Auburn who surged ahead late to down the Ducks. The Auburn Tigers did good with a 27-21 victory over Oregon.

* Locally, the Texas Southern Tigers hosted their rivals Prairie View A&M. The Panthers won the Labor Day Classic 44-23.

* North Dakota State had NO problem routing the Butler Bulldogs 57-10.

Congratulations to all other winners from Saturday's games.

North Dakota State had NO problem routing the Butler Bulldogs 57-10.
And if it wouldn't have been for a pick 6, we'd have held them to just the field goal!

Only picture I took was before the game during warmups. Pretty infectious experience, though.

20190831_141425.jpg

Recently wrapped up...

The University of Houston just experienced what a National Championship contender looks like when they got wrecked at Oklahoma 49-31. I am actually surprised my beloved Houston Cougars kept it closer than I thought this game would be at the Oklahoma Sooners.. You have to pay your dues and take your whippings before you can become any sort of contender or champion. That's facts, folks. Jalen Hurts was baller in his Oklahoma debut.

That's all from me. More college football coming up on Labor Day.

Are Texas and Texas A&M for real? We'll find out this week as both have major matches this upcoming Saturday. The Aggies of Texas A&M will meet the No. 1 Clemson Tigers in Clemson, SC; and the Texas Longhorns will host the LSU Tigers. I think both games will be on ABC. Plenty of other big games are on tap for this week also.

Last night saw No. 9 Notre Dame rout Louisville 35-17. The Louisville Cardinals are coming off of a woeful, forgettable season in 2018. For "The 'Ville," so far, so bad. Notre Dame is trying to make their case that they should be among the College Football Playoff four and can possibly win it if given the chance. They say Notre Dame's chances of winning out in the regular season is about a 2.8% chance. We'll see if the Fighting Irish can take care of business proper this season. They have two big tests that concern me- at No. 3 Georgia and at No. 7 Michigan.

Get ready for Week 2 of college football, GTPlaneteers!

There's a lot of college football to dig into today and tonight. Looks like ABC has you covered with big matches: Cincinnati at Ohio State, Texas A&M at Clemson, and LSU at Texas. I hope you get to enjoy whatever college football you get to check out this Saturday. Enjoy today's/tonight's matches! I may check in with another post full of musings later today or tomorrow.

I'll comment on a few completed games so far in this post of musings of mine.

* Go B1G or go home. Years ago, it would be laughable for me to say anyone had to go into Double Overtime to defeat Army. Well, it's safe to say Army is for real and relevant, as they went toe-to-toe with Michigan in The Big House. It was a 24-21 double OT victory for the Wolverines against the Army Black Knights. Michigan has some turnover issues to correct. Still, congratulations to Joey D and AnthonyD1993's Michigan Wolverines.

* Congratulations also in order for Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers. Boiler Up! It was a battle of black and old gold teams as Purdue hosted Vanderbilt. The Boilermakers took down the Vandy Commodores 42-24. So yeah, Purdue did good today.

* The Scarlet Knights of Rutgers University were served some Midwestern hospitality in Iowa City, IA with the Iowa Hawkeyes. That hospitality also included a 30-0 beating on the Scarlet Knights. So not a good day for you if you love the Scarlet Knights of Piscataway, NJ.

* Rutgers fans are sad their team got blanked. Well, your beating wasn't as bad as what Ohio State put on Cincinnati- a 42-0 blanking in Columbus, OH. The Cincinnati Bearcats haven't been shut out in quite a few years prior to today.

* Syracuse came into this game ranked at No. 21. They may well be out of the Top 25 after getting spanked 63-20 in College Park, MD at the Maryland Terrapins. The Terps took a big bite out of the Syracuse Orange.

I may either make a new post or simply update this with some more scores to highlight on. Regardless, congratulations to all other winners from this week's games.

There aren't too many interesting matches for Week 3 of college football, but this young season still wears on. Among some of the matches for this week, you can call it the "Cougar Bowl" as Washington State comes down to Houston to take on the U. of Houston Cougars this Friday night at NRG Stadium. The Cy-Hawk Trophy will be on the line Saturday afternoon in Ames, IA when the #19 Iowa Hawkeyes meet their bitter rival Iowa State Cyclones. ESPN College Gameday will even be on site in Ames, I believe.

I hope you all get to enjoy the new week of college football.

There are sadly no games slated for tonight that I can see. However, we do have games for tomorrow night, including a neutral site game with Washington State vs. Houston at NRG Stadium. There is an ACC match on Friday with Wake Forest at North Carolina along with Kansas at Boston College.

THE Ohio State University could be trademarked. But... it didn't get trademarked. Ohio State's attempt to trademark itself as "THE Ohio State University" was rejected.

You may know of Boone Pickens of Oklahoma State's football stadium. Yesterday, T. Boone Pickens, an oil tycoon, has died at the age of 91 at his home in Dallas. Over $652M USD was donated to his alma mater of OK State. I offer my condolences to all who known and loved T. Boone Pickens. I do look at the Oklahoma State Cowboys as being one of the better programs in all of college football. So this tragic loss is going hit pretty hard.

These are all points I wanted to bring across to you college football fans. Enjoy this weekend's games!

I do believe someone has slipped mind altering drugs into my adult beverage! I could swear I just listened to a game where KU put a whopping on BCU...
I am sure it will wear off by morning...

No, mate... I think your eyes and mind do not deceive you. This was a rather "wow!" moment that Kansas not only won, but won big on the road. The Jayhawks once had a stretch in which they were a guaranteed loss when playing road games. However, they went up to Boston College and grounded the Eagles big time 48-24. I was reading the details on Yahoo! Sports about Kansas' whooping on Boston College and was pretty tickled pink on their win. In fact, this win for KU reportedly ends a streak of 48-straight road losses to Power 5 teams. And who might KU's coach be? Remember a bloke named Les Miles? So yeah, the future may be bright for Kansas moving forward. It hasn't been bright for Kansas Jayhawks football since the Mark Mangino days.

Meanwhile here in Houston, my Houston Cougars failed on National TV on ESPN/ABC (nothing new), in what I called the Cougar Bowl. Washington State's Cougars bested the Houston Cougars 31-24. I think the University of Houston has a very good team. However, we are far from being even remotely capable of being in the Top 25 in NCAA FBS. So my hopes of my Coogs being any real threat are minimal at best.

Still got plenty of football coming up for Saturday, including #1 Clemson at Syracuse. So go enjoy some more college football this weekend!

RECENTLY WRAPPED UP...

The Citadel upset Georgia Tech 27-24 in Overtime at Georgia Tech. The Citadel are in the SOCON in NCAA FCS. This is the Bulldogs' first-ever football win against an ACC team, stunning the boys from Atlanta. Hotlanta not so hot after this one. They are now 1-22 all time against ACC teams. Georgia Tech needed a field goal to force Overtime. They missed a field goal wide-right with their possession, so all The Citadel needed was a field goal, and they delivered. Both The Citadel and Georgia Tech now have the same record after this game- 1-2.

If I come up with any other musings on this week of college football, I'll share them here. But I just wanted to make that little report. How are your favorite team(s) doing this week/weekend?

Let's talk about Week 4 of college football. One thing I kind of know about this week is that it's the third Saturday of September... which usually means the Tennessee vs. Florida rivalry game is forthcoming. Here are some of many matches to be played this week:

* Tennessee at #9 Florida
* #10 Utah at USCal
* Air Force at #20 Boise State
* #11 Michigan at #13 Wisconsin
* #23 California at Ole Miss
* #15 UCF at Pittsburgh
* #8 Auburn at #17 Texas A&M
* #22 Washington at BYU
* #16 Oregon at Stanford
* Oklahoma State at #12 Texas
* #7 Notre Dame at #3 Georgia
* UCLA at #19 Washington State

As you can see, a lot more conference games are being played. Your biggest opposition usually lies in your conference. The big game this week is Notre Dame paying a visit to the Georgia Bulldogs. Both Notre Dame and Georgia are College Football Playoff contenders. Notre Dame is talented, no doubt. However, Georgia feels they are at the doorstep of becoming National Champions. So this game this Saturday can go a long way in seeing just where Notre Dame or Georgia nationally and if either have a chance at competing for the National Championship.

Enjoy this week's action!

Get ready for Week 4 action of college football! Tonight on ESPN, the American Athletic Conference (AAC) will be in vogue. it will be the University of Houston Cougars going to the Big Easy to match up against the Tulane Green Wave. Houston is 1-2 while Tulane is 2-1. Should be an interesting match in New Orleans.

Enjoy whatever college football you'll be getting into this week and weekend.

Back