• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 81 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
College football is a much different animal from its professional counterpart. The pageantry, emotion, traditions, and down-home feel make college football great. Atop the NCAA Division 1 FBS Football mountain are the two-time defending champion University of Georgia Bulldogs. To my knowledge, there has never been a three or more time defending champions of football at this level. Georgia has a chance to change history. To do that, though, they'll need to take down all of their opposition from the many schools nationwide playing college football.

Even though NCAA Division 1 FBS is the focal point of college football discussion in these threads, it is open to ALL collegiate football. So come in talking about teams like Sam Houston State or North Dakota State. Let us know about NCAA Division 2 schools like Slippery Rock, Valdosta State, or Pittsburg State. Let us know about Mount Union, Wisconsin-Whitewater, Occidental College, or any NCAA Division 3 schools. Tell us about NAIA or NJCAA college football. If it's college football, it's college football.

Are you ready to chat about the new season of college football? Everything from off-season to the National Championship games are up for discussion. Let's kick off the new season!

Get to know the latest Big XII teams- BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, and Houston. I think my Houston Cougars will struggle even as Texas and Oklahoma will depart for the SEC. BYU, Cincinnati, and UCF are going to be pretty good; but will they be good enough to hang in the Big XII in football? We'll find out once the regular season starts.

The BIG XII just got more interesting of late. Check out the new additions to the conference:

• Arizona
  • Arizona State
  • Utah

Also, check out the newest Big Ten/B1G members:

• Oregon
  • Washington

This leaves the Pac-12 as... the Pac-4. Oregon State, Washington State, California, and Stanford all remain. Some believe the Pac-12 may entirely go away or merge with the Mountain West. Most of these football changes will see these newer member schools play in their new conferences in 2024.

College sports, let alone college football, is enduring a radical realignment. The future of college sports is looking a lot different now.

GTPlaneteers... get psyched! College football is BACK! This weekend will be all of the "Week Zero" action. ESPN College Gameday will return along with a handful of other college football shows will be ready for that August to January grind of college football. If you've been following the madness of late in college football, it will be interesting to see how this 2023 season will go.

Enjoy this weekend's action!

This is "Week Zero" of college football for the 2023 season. No real intriguing matches for this week. Enjoy whatever college football interests you!

Last edited:
College football is back! ESPN will show Florida at Utah tonight. The Utah Utes will try to Ute-ilize the ability to tame the Florida Gators tonight in Salt Lake City, UT. The game will be on ESPN at 7 PM Eastern.

Enjoy this and any other college football this weekend!

Enjoy this first full Saturday of college football, GTPlaneteers! Many games to choose from as we get more collegiate football action kicked off.

This is going to be a really, really good season. The Colorado TCU game was outstanding.

Omnis, the Colorado at TCU game was VERY entertaining. No doubt.

College football musings coming up.

* PRIME TIME! Colorado went into No. 17 TCU and defeated the Horned Frogs 45-42. Colorado tied their win total from last season. "Prime" Deion Sanders picked up his first win as coach of Colorado. This was Colorado's first win on the road against a Top 20 team since 2002. They were 0-27 prior to this. 1st team in 42 years to follow 1-win season by defeating a ranked opponent. Deion is the first head coach to win in an FBS debut since 2008.

* Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats had no problem balling against Ball State, winning 44-14 over the Ball State Cardinals.

* Kentucky won, so how did Louisville do? Well, they took down the Yellow Jackets of Georgia Tech 39-34.

* Oregon SMASHED Portland State 81-7. OUCH.

* It was a BIG win for the Texas State Bobcats, as they downed the Baylor Bears 42-31 at Baylor.

* Sad break for Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers, as they fell to the visiting Bulldogs of Fresno State 39-35.

* The No. 10 Washington Huskies had no problem with the Boise State Broncos. The Huskies won 56-10.

* The two Miamis clashed on Friday. The University of Miami hosted Miami University. It was the U. of Miami Hurricanes winning 38-3 over Ohio's Miami University Redhawks.

* In Overtime, the Northern Illinois Huskies downed the Boston College Eagles 27-24.

* In Cincinnati, it was 66-13 that the Cincinnati Bearcats defeated the Eastern Kentucky Colonels by in Cincy's Big XII debut.

* 35-10 was the final as the North Dakota State Bison grounded the Eastern Washington Eagles.

* Omnis's Florida Atlantic Owls did real good against the Monmouth Hawks, winning 42-20.

* The Fordham Rams won 46-16 in an in-state clash between themselves and the Wagner Seahawks.

* Though leading 34-17 heading into the 4th Quarter, Texas Southern ultimately lost in Overtime. The Tigers fell 37-34 in Overtime to their Labor Day Classic rivals, the Prairie View A&M Panthers.

* The Southern Jaguars lost on the road 14-10 at the Alabama State Hornets.

* The Arkansas Baptist Buffaloes stood no chance against the Houston Christian Huskies. The Buffaloes got hammered 66-0 at Houston Christian.

And that covers most of the completed games.

Congratulations to all winners of this week's action!

Two of the most surprising results from this past week have been Florida State smashing LSU at Florida State, and then Duke smashing Clemson. The Florida State Seminoles were No. 8 in the nation taking down 5th-ranked LSU Tigers 45-24, and the Duke Blue Devils beat No. 9 Clemson Tigers 28-7. Both Florida State and Duke won their respective games at home. There is a stat suggesting teams that lost in Week 1 failed to make the College Football Playoff. So if you are an LSU Tigers fan or Clemson Tigers fan, you are a bit skittish as to whether one or both will miss the CFP. Usually the dubious number is two- in terms of losses if you are a potential National Championship contender.

Usually, it would be a big deal if Florida State beat LSU in basketball (men or women), and not really a deal if Duke beat Clemson in basketball (men or women). But this is FOOTball. It is not to suggest Florida State and Duke will be the heavyweights of ACC football this season. They do, though, start strong with their respective wins.

Every game counts in college football. So there is still plenty of time and plenty of games left. No need to panic after Week 1. Panic when an already one-loss team that is a title contender loses again and/or with regularity.

Having said all of this, get ready for Week 2!

FSU beating LSU wasn't surprising. Brian Kelly is overrated and never wins big games. They were both within 3 rankings of each other before even playing a game. Now the Duke game was a surprise. To a lesser extent, CU beating TCU was as well.

College football musings...

* My beloved University of Houston sadly fell to their crosstown rivals, Rice University in 3OT, 43-41. Houston now in the Big XII, Rice now in the American Athletic Conference. Houston usually has taken care of Rice in most sports. Last night, though, was not the Cougars' night. Understandably, the Rice Owls were proud to defeat their crosstown rivals.

* Texas went down to Alabama and stunned the Crimson Tide 34-24. I mostly saw the game from the 4th quarter onwards because I was watching the Padres at Astros game. The Longhorns were ranked No. 11 against the No. 3 Alabama Crimson Tide.

* It was rather emotional for the University of Virginia to play their first home game since the deadly shooting incident last year. The Cavaliers hosted the Dukes of James Madison. James Madison took the win on the road, 36-35.

* How did Virginia's rivals do? Well, the Boilermakers of Purdue University took down the Virginia Tech Hokies 24-17 in Blacksburg, VA.

* The Miami Hurricanes upset No. 23 Texas A&M 48-33 in Miami. The Aggies had a 10-7 lead after one quarter, but it was the Hurricanes who ended up blowing away the Aggies.

* "Coach Prime," Deion Sanders made his home debut this season as the Colorado Buffaloes hosted the Nebraska Cornhuskers. No. 22 Colorado did REAL good, like 36-14 good.

* The Cy-Hawk Trophy was on the line as rivals Iowa and Iowa State went at it. Getting the better of this one were the Hawkeyes, as they won 20-13 at the Iowa State Cyclones.

* 36-7 was the final score as the Rutgers Scarlet Knights whacked the Temple Owls in Piscataway, NJ.

I'd like to congratulate all other winners from this past week!

Last edited:
Feel free to enjoy another Saturday of college football! There a lot of games going on today including Penn State at Illinois, Colorado State at Colorado, TCU at Houston, and many more games. Be careful and have fun if you're going out to games today or tonight.

[UPDATE] Colorado State AT Colorado, not vs., changes made. ColST and COL usually is a neutral-site game.

Last edited:
Here's my latest college football talk...

* I thought Houston was going to lose, and I was right. Former Conference USA rivals, Houston and TCU played to a 36-13 victory for the TCU Horned Frogs. Houston played their first conference game as a member of the Big XII, and the Cougars failed.

* Boston College committed 18 penalties in their game against Florida State- a school record. The Seminoles won 31-29 against the Boston College Eagles.

* Miami University (of Ohio) stunned the Cincinnati Bearcats in Cincinnati in Overtime 31-24. Not a happy time in Cincy with this result.

* It's unhappy times at Purdue University as the Boilermakers got derailed 35-20 by the visiting Syracuse Orange.

* Alabama hasn't lost back-to-back games in a while. They surely didn't lose at South Florida. It was "Roll Tide" as the Crimson Tide won 17-3 over the USF Bulls.

* The Missouri Tigers tamed the No. 15 Kansas State Wildcats at home 30-27.

* The Liberty Flames torched the Buffalo Bulls 55-27 in Buffalo.

* Did you know Rutgers is 2-0 on the 2023 season so far? Make it 3-0 now for the Scarlet Knights. They downed the Virginia Tech Hokies 35-16 in Piscataway, NJ.

* In a battle of in-state opponents, the Mountaineers of Appalachian State wrecked the East Carolina Pirates 43-28 at Appalachian State.

* Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats did great against the Akron Zips. The Wildcats of Lexington, KY won 35-3.

* The West Virginia Mountaineers won the "Backyard Brawl" over the Pittsburgh Panthers 17-6.

* The Sacramento State Hornets got themselves a big win. They downed the Stanford Cardinal 30-23 at Stanford in an FCS-beat-FBS upset.

* The biggest game from Saturday makes up my final musing. The Colorado Buffaloes downed the Colorado State Rams in double overtime, 43-35. "Prime" Deion Sanders is now 3-0 as coach of the University of Colorado Buffaloes.

Congratulations to all winners from this week!

Tonight in college football, ESPN will show the Georgia State Panthers at the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.

Maybe the biggest match this weekend will be [The] No. 6 Ohio State at No. 9 Notre Dame. That game will be on NBC at 7:30 PM Eastern. Ohio State is 3-0, and Notre Dame is 4-0. This will be a big test for both of these teams. It may also get an idea as to if either or both the Ohio State Buckeyes and/or Notre Dame Fighting Irish can make a run for the College Football Playoff this season.

Enjoy whatever college football piques your interest this week!

On this day (Sep. 22) in 2007...

I saw this randomly on the Stadium YouTube channel. The 2007 season was wild. Nearly every second-ranked school in NCAA FBS was losing that season. I hope you all get to enjoy this week and weekend's games.

Here's my latest round of college football musings...

* The following teams are all undefeated (all 4-0) so far this season and in the AP Top 25: Georgia, Michigan, Texas, Ohio State, Florida State, Penn State, Washington, USCal, Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Washington State, Duke, Miami, Missouri, Kansas, and Fresno State. These teams still need to do a lot to state their College Football Playoff hopes. There is still a long ways to go. Enjoy this run now, but let's see how you do when it's money time (November at the earliest).

* "Coach Prime" Deion Sanders took his first loss as Colorado coach, and his Buffaloes went down in flames at Oregon. The Buffs took a 42-6 whacking by the Ducks in Eugene, OR.

* Seems like some people have X/Twitter beef with ESPN College Gameday. Washington State's head coach was offended in College Gameday's Lee Corso calling the Oregon State at Washington State game as the "No One Watches Bowl." The same Washington State coach had a spat with Kirk Herbstreit with his comments regarding the lack of respect for Washington State. Washington State won their match against Oregon State. So in Wazzou's defense, "put some respect on our name!" Then too, this is another example of how some people call ESPN as the "Eastcoast Sports and Propaganda Network."

* At NCAA Division 3 school, Shenandoah University, Haley Van Voorhis became the first female non-kicker to play in an NCAA football game. This young lady played a safety position for the Shenandoah Hornets.

Once I get a look at this week's upcoming action, I may offer some more thoughts.

A lot of games are coming up today and tonight. If you are not sure of what's out there, here are some games for you all to get into:

• #24 Kansas at #3 Texas <<< first-ever(?) time both teams are ranked facing each other
  • Houston at Texas Tech
  • USCal at Colorado
  • #22 Florida at Kentucky
  • Clemson at Syracuse
  • #1 Georgia at Auburn <<< "Deep South's Oldest Rivalry"
  • #2 Michigan at Nebraska
  • Illinois at Purdue
  • Wagner at Rutgers
  • #13 LSU at #20 Ole Miss
  • #7 Washington at Arizona

Enjoy today's/tonight's games!

[OMISSION] Old news, but I forgot to mention Michigan State fired its head coach, Mel Tucker amid the sexual harassment accusations. M. Tucker, meanwhile, is filing a wrongful termination lawsuit. Michigan State is currently 2-2 overall and 0-1 in the Big Ten. Dead last in the Big Ten's East division.

Last edited:
Good job by him landing those sweet passes. Since you're here, @Yard_Sale , your Arizona Wildcats will meet the #9 USCal Trojans in Los Angeles. Think your Wildcats can upset the Trojans in their house?

I haven't had the time to post any musings or thoughts on this past weekend. All I can do is congratulate all of the winners. The only real game I watched was USCal at Colorado. The Buffaloes did a great job to close the gap on the Trojans, but it wasn't enough as USCal won that game.

@Jordan 's Kentucky Wildcats are 5-0, but they got a BIG test coming up this weekend. Kentucky at #1 Georgia. Both teams 5-0. Will the 'Cats or the 'Dogs improve to 6-0? We'll find out this coming Saturday evening.

Here are a few good matches coming up this week:
  • Oklahoma vs. Texas <<< Red River Rivalry, played in Dallas
  • #11 Alabama at Texas A&M
  • #2 Michigan at Minnesota <<< Little Brown Jug rivalry

Enjoy this week's games!

Good job by him landing those sweet passes. Since you're here, @Yard_Sale , your Arizona Wildcats will meet the #9 USCal Trojans in Los Angeles. Think your Wildcats can upset the Trojans in their house?

I haven't had the time to post any musings or thoughts on this past weekend. All I can do is congratulate all of the winners. The only real game I watched was USCal at Colorado. The Buffaloes did a great job to close the gap on the Trojans, but it wasn't enough as USCal won that game.

@Jordan 's Kentucky Wildcats are 5-0, but they got a BIG test coming up this weekend. Kentucky at #1 Georgia. Both teams 5-0. Will the 'Cats or the 'Dogs improve to 6-0? We'll find out this coming Saturday evening.

Here are a few good matches coming up this week:
  • Oklahoma vs. Texas <<< Red River Rivalry, played in Dallas
  • #11 Alabama at Texas A&M
  • #2 Michigan at Minnesota <<< Little Brown Jug rivalry

Enjoy this week's games!

Na, I don’t think they’ll pull off an upset. Not to say that last week was a fluke, but asking our defense to perform above their skill level away from home is asking a lot. Arizona’s offense is more than capable of scoring points against anyone, but the kicker will be the big plays against our defense. From a personal perspective, many pundits are saying that Fifita (my nephew) should be the AZ starter moving forward, but we shall see. We’ll probably know mid-week if Jaiden De Laura is planning on suiting up or not.

information only… T-Mac (#4 on offense), Jacob Manu (#5 on defense) and #88 Keyan Burnett have played together all the way up from Pop Warner, through High School, and now college. They all came to UofA from Servite High School together 😎

There are plenty of games played today to pique your interest, including the Red River Rivalry (Texas vs. Oklahoma). Whatever game(s) you are into today, enjoy today's/tonight's action!

IMG_3714.jpeg

Looks like USC comp’d visiting teams the nosebleed’s 😂

Only one thing is for sure in college football these days... that Georgia is gonna run through them cheeks.

Here are my latest musings on college football.

* It was a great win for #12 Oklahoma against #3 Texas in the Red River Rivalry this past Saturday. This year's game more competitive than the 49-0 wrecking Oklahoma took last year. Oklahoma had the late game magic to stun the Longhorns and win 34-30.

* "We should have taken a knee." You know, there are people who play the Madden games and like to run up the score or not settle for field goals. They want the homerun. Well, just ask the University of Miami how they feel after them getting stunned on a last-second play. The U. of Miami, or "The U," got punked when the lowly Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets stunned the Miami Hurricanes on a deep pass play after Miami fumbled the ball trying to [literally] run the clock out. The boys from Atlanta delivered the stunner that had many a Hurricanes fan heartbroken. Georgia Tech won 23-20 at Miami. Want to see what happened? Check this out (or look away):

* Well, @Yard_Sale , Arizona ALMOST knocked off the USCal Trojans. The Men of Troy won 43-41 in 3OT over the Arizona Wildcats.

* I know this is something @Jordan wouldn't want to read... Kentucky lost at #1 Georgia, and Louisville wins vs. #10 Notre Dame. Louisville is surely Bowl Eligible with this win to improve to 6-0. Their latest win was at home against 10th-ranked Notre Dame. Is Louisville for real? The Cardinals may the looking to join the College Football Playoff party after knocking off the Fighting Irish. Louisville is now #14 in the nation.

As for Kentucky, the Wildcats lost 51-13 at the two-time defending champion #1 Georgia Bulldogs. UK will host the Missouri Tigers. Mizzou is no longer undefeated after their fail at home against the #23 LSU Tigers 49-39.

* I'm happy for the University of Virginia picking up their first win of the season. This season means a lot to Virginia considering the violence that happened at UVA last year. The win was nothing special, as they knocked off the William and Mary Tribe 27-13; but this is something that can help uplift the spirits of Virginia Cavaliers fans.

* I heard the University of Wisconsin may join the Pac-12. Never would I thought schools like USCal and UCLA would join a Midwestern conference like the Big Ten. I also didn't think Oregon and Washington would also join. So now we could have the Wisconsin Badgers go with what's left of the Pac-12.

I have nothing to report on my beloved University of Houston, as they had their Bye Week. This week has (cue suspenseful music) Friday the 13th. We also have a lot of college football to get to, so get psyched for a new week!

[UPDATE] Forgot to include video.

Last edited:
Houston got an improbable win tonight here in Houston. Houston led late until the West Virginia Mountaineers convert a long 4th and Long with 12 seconds left on the clock. Houston then went for a wild Hail Mary bomb in "walk-off" fashion that connected for Houston to win 41-39. It's the Cougars' first win in conference play as a Big XII member.

Congratulations to all of Week 7's winners, including SMU smashing East Carolina at ECU!

It's another Saturday of college football! Two big games for today include Oregon at Washington and one of the most unique rivalries in college football- USCal at Notre Dame. There are also other games to be played such as Indiana at #2 Michigan.

Later this month or early next month, we'll get our first look at the College Football Playoff rankings. You have to wonder what teams will make up the new and expanded CFP rankings.

Enjoy today's games!

[OMISSION]
Last night, the University of Colorado was hammering Stanford 29-0 at the half. While I didn't see the rest of it, the Stanford Cardinal ended up downing the Colorado Buffaloes 46-43 in Double Overtime. Colorado got picked off in the end zone by Stanford to set up a field goal opportunity in their half of the 2nd OT. The Cardinal cashed in their field goal to stun the Buffaloes after such a dominant performance.

Even if the late start times for Colorado, or even if the game was played on Friday the 13th; this is still a sad loss for the University of Colorado. Maybe the Buffaloes got some extra work to do. "Coach Prime" Deion Sanders' influence alone won't be enough to turn around Colorado Buffaloes football. Deion Sanders even was glad this will be the last year of Colorado in the Pac-12 once they return to the Big XII next season.

Last edited:
I just can't believe how many wild finishes we had this past week. My Houston Cougars knocked off the West Virginia Mountaineers on a Hail Mary, Stanford comes from 29-0 at halftime to win in Double Overtime, Oregon shanks a field goal to force overtime at the Washington Huskies... it's unreal. College football is all about chaos, and that's why we love college sports (let alone college football).

Some honorable mentions...

* I want to give honorable mention to Omnis' Florida Atlantic Owls for embarassing the South Florida Bulls 56-14. The school based in Boca Raton, FL are 3-3 overall and 2-0 in the AAC. Tulane leads the AAC, and SMU is 2nd in the conference.

* Go B1G or go home. Blitz24's Rutgers Scarlet Knights got a nice little win in East Lansing. Rutgers were down by as much as 18 to eventually defeat the Michigan State Spartans. Sparty falls to 2-4 overall and 0-3 in conference play.

* Joey D's Michigan Wolverines are 7-0 overall and 4-0 in conference. They lead their division. The Wolverines' next game will be at their in-state rivals, the Michigan State Spartans.

* I didn't see the embedded video, but I saw the Washington State Cougars were wrecked by another pack of cats- the visiting Arizona Wildcats. Arizona won 44-6. Arizona is 6th in the Pac-12, and Washington State is 8th in the Pac-12.

The biggest game this coming week is No. 7 Penn State Nittany Lions at the No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes. The game will be on FOX at 12 PM Eastern Time this Saturday. Any of you want to talk about how your favorite team(s) is/are doing?

Tonight on the ESPN networks, it's Rice at Tulsa, and then James Madison at Marshall. Before anyone may tell me this is an uninteresting night, James Madison is undefeated currently at 6-0. So Marshall has a chance to hand JMU their first loss of the season tonight.

Enjoy this, and any other college football action this week!

Back