College Football: 2023 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 81 comments
Michigan is going to get obliterated in the Rose Bowl against Alabama. It'll likely by Alabama v. Texas for the championship too with Alabama winning.

The fact that Florida State was left out is criminal though. I hate how they do CFB rankings though and at least next year, they'll have a legit playoff system that actually makes sense.

Yeah, if you're a Florida State fan, you're probably either very saddened or very furious over Florida State missing the CFP Top 4. Now there are two ways to look at it.

(1) Those of you who follow college basketball know that there are times when certain teams get snubbed from the Tournament. For example, one team may have performed better than certain teams that got in. Like how Texas A&M got in over Rutgers in men's basketball. In this case, the playoff committee somehow didn't see enough to get in some teams.

(2) If you think the College Football Playoff can be fraudulent, at least a lot of people will say the CFP is better than the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) we've had for quite some time. I don't even think Florida State would be guaranteed a trip to the National Championship game if we still used the BCS system.

I do think it's a great shame Florida State won't get to play for a Championship despite their undefeated record. It isn't like the ACC is a sorry conference. The committee almost made it seem like Florida State beat mostly FCS schools and Sun Belt Conference schools. I would at least give the Seminoles a chance at playing for the National Championship. Surely next season would be a bit better with a few more teams getting in.

Unfortunately, the CFP committee didn't see enough in Florida State to say they get into the Top 4 for the 2023 season. Sometimes your best isn't good enough. Just got to get better.

Meet Willie Fritz. Who is he? Willie Fritz is the new head coach of the University of Houston's football team. After a 4-8 campaign and 2-7 in their Big XII debut, W. Fritz comes over from the very successful 2023 season of Tulane University to try to push UH in the correct direction after an unfulfilling run by Dana H. Hopefully this coaching move will help bring UH football back to being decent.

The NCAA has playoffs in other divisions today, and there is the Army-Navy Game to be played today. We also can't forget the 2023 Heisman Trophy ceremony tonight either. Your finalists:

• Jayden Daniels (QB, LSU)
  • Michael Penix Jr. (QB, Washington)
  • Bo Nix (QB, Oregon)
  • Jalen Milrow (QB, Alabama)
  • Marvin Harrison Jr. (WR, Ohio State)

Enjoy all of today's action!

[UPDATE] Jayden Daniels, not Williams.

Last edited:
Army knocked off Navy 17-9 in the Army-Navy Game.

As for the newest Heisman winner, your winner is...

Jayden Daniels!

Well done to both Army and Jayden Daniels. Congratulations also to the FCS-level winners today, such as South Dakota State and TB's North Dakota State.

The REAL most wonderful time of the year is here- BOWL GAMES! Making it to a Bowl Game or (even better) the College Football Playoff is a sign of accomplishment and success. These are the games coming up on this Saturday:

• Myrtle Beach Bowl: Georgia Southern vs. Ohio
  • Cricket Celebration Bowl: Howard vs. Florida A&M
  • R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl: Jacksonville State vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
  • Avocados From Mexico Cure Bowl: Miami (OH) vs. Appalachian State
  • Isleta New Mexico Bowl: New Mexico State vs. Fresno State
  • Starco Brands LA Bowl: UCLA vs. Boise State
  • Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl: California vs. Texas Tech

Get ready for the Bowl season, especially if your beloved team(s) will be playing. Enjoy the Bowl Games!

It's time for Bowl Games! There are about 41 Bowl Games for you all to enjoy featuring many of the teams with the better records. So be sure to check out some postseason Bowl Game action from today's games up into the National Championship game of the College Football Playoff!

Before I close this post, I'd like to congratulate the 11th-ranked SUNY-Cortland Red Dragons on winning the NCAA Division 3 National Championship against the top-ranked North Central College Cardinals 38-37. Cortland's defense prevented North Central from trying a late two-point conversion. It is the first football National Championship in school history for Cortland.

Unbelieva-BOWL! There's a handful of Bowl Games on tap today. So feel free to enjoy some college football Bowl Game action today and all through this Christmas stretch!

On right now is the Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl, played at Yankee Stadium in The Bronx. This game is like a time machine back to when the Big East used to have football, and back when the Big East wasn't exclusively religious schools. Rutgers and Miami (FL) are playing this Bowl game.

I kind of wonder, could the former Yankee Stadium be used more often for some college football in New York City? The Yankee Stadiums were mostly set up to have both baseball and football (I'm told). And I don't think it could interfere too much if the New York Yankees play their home games at today's Yankee Stadium while some football game at the other Yankee Stadium is going on. About the only team that can be considered NYC's team is once football school, the St. John's Red Storm, who last played football in the MAAC (another conference that sponsored football).

Last night, Texas State earned their first Bowl Game victory in their first bowl game when they defeated the Rice Owls 45-21. As a University of Houston fan, Rice University is UH's rivals, so good news for me seeing our crosstown rivals go down. Texas A&M lost in the Texas Bowl to Oklahoma State in a battle of when both schools were in the Big XII.

Plenty more Bowl games are to be played, so I hope you're enjoying all the college football goodness there is right now!

IMG_3976.jpeg

IMG_3978.jpeg

IMG_3980.jpeg

Last edited:
Miami kept 2 timeouts at the end of their game against Rutgers. Good thing they carry over to next season!

Florida State University. They are the home of the Seminoles. They are one of the premier powers of college football. They are still upset they didn't get into the College Football Playoff for the 2023 season. So they end up playing Georgia in the Orange Bowl. End result? Georgia wins 63-3. Based on X/Twitter posts, some Florida State didn't even opt to play in this game either from transferring or simply not playing. Maybe according to Georgia, the College Football Playoff committee got it right to not include Florida State in the National Championship picture.

This fail by Florida State marks the largest loss ever in the history of Florida State Seminoles' football. Dang...

Yeah, yeah yeah….

I know bowl season isn’t over yet, but my wife just sent me this link. I don’t do social media so I hope it works. As a proud Arizona fan, uncle, and perpetual underdog…I’m pretty proud

It's time to determine who will play for the National Championship today in NCAA FBS football. Welcome to the 2024 College Football Playoff! Today, it's Alabama vs. Michigan, and then Texas vs. Washington. Three of the four all-time win leaders are playing in this Playoff. Michigan is the only one north of 1K wins all time. The winners of these semifinal games will play here in Houston on January 8 for the National Championship in NCAA FBS. Enjoy today's action!

Well, GTPlaneteers... our NCAA FBS Football National Championship final is set! Here is the National Championship match to be played Monday next week in my home/native town of Houston, Texas, USA:

* Michigan vs. Washington

In "the Grand Daddy of Them All," it was Michigan who topped Alabama in the Rose Bowl. However, regulation solved nothing after sixty minutes and four quarters, so this one had to go into Overtime. The Wolverines came out on top 27-20 in Overtime against the Crimson Tide.

The Washington Huskies put a hurting on the Texas Longhorns in the Sugar Bowl until the Longhorns made a game of it. Unfortunately for the boys from Austin, it was not enough. The Washington Huskies will meet the Michigan Wolverines in Houston after a 37-31 victory over Texas.

This season, it's the Big Ten against the Pac-12. Next season, this would be a glorified B1G conference game. You know ESPN/ABC usually talks about telling the best story. Well, these could be the stories or headlines after the CFP Final is played:

* MICHIGAN: "Back Atop the College Football Mountain for the First Time in a Long Time"

* WASHINGTON: "Pac-12's Sweet Swan Song- Washington Huskies: National Champions!"

We have the contenders. We have the match. There are no ties in college football. One will win it all, the other may have to try again next season to get to this level. So tell it, GTPlanet- who you got winning the National Championship Monday next week?

All congratulations to Texas and Alabama for making it this far. Also, congratulations to all other Bowl Game winners and the playoff winners of other levels of college football!

I’m going for Washington, because I want the PAC 12 to finish their last year in a high note….and because I want to prove to flyover country that the PAC 12 isn’t overrated like they claimed all year. I watched one of the defensive lineman for Michigan play since High School though, so I’m hoping he has a good day.

Michigan’s defense is crazy good, but I just don’t think they’ll have enough to stop Penix and company

Last edited:
The 2023 season FCS Championship game was played today between the Montana Grizzlies and the South Dakota State Jackrabbits. With a convincing 23-3 victory, the FCS Champs are... South Dakota State University! A school in the Dakotas are FCS champions. A state university in the Dakotas is a champion. Sadly for one GTPlaneteer, it is NOT North Dakota State. South Dakota State won it all in NCAA FCS. They also currently hold the longest winning streak in Division 1 (FBS and FCS included) with now 29 straight wins. This school is also repeating as Champions of FCS. All congratulations to the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State on a job well done in 2023!

Or to say it in pro wrestling speak: "here are your winners, and STILL FCS Champions, South Dakota State!"

The College Football Playoff Final is tonight! For the first-ever time, there will be an NCAA FBS team that finishes 15-0. The No. 1 Michigan Wolverines will take on the No. 2 Washington Huskies in a game that next year will be a glorified Big Ten (or B1G) game. Michigan wants to win it all for the first time since 1997. Washington wants to win it all for the first time since 1991 and give the swooning Pac-12 its last National Champion in its swan song. The action all takes place at NRG Stadium here in Houston, Texas, USA. Enjoy tonight's game!

The 2023 season of college football in NCAA FBS has ended. Last night here in Houston, winning 34-13 is... the University of Michigan! The Wolverines knocked off the Washington Huskies. I only saw the game at around 3:39 left in the 4th Quarter. All congratulations to Big Blue on returning to the top of the college football mountain again!

Pete Carroll resigned recently in the pro football ranks. Now... Nick Saban is hanging it up. Can you believe it?! It's the end of an era in Tuscaloosa with Nick Saban retiring. Wow...

It's been some time, but allow me to make my traditional Champions Salute post. So here are the college football Champions of 2023 to honor. Shout out any of these teams if you follow or love them:

NCAA FBS: Michigan
NCAA FCS: South Dakota State
NCAA D2: Harding
NCAA D3: SUNY-Cortland
NAIA FCS: Keiser (FL)
NJCAA DI: Iowa Western
NJCAA DIII: DuPage
NCFA: Central Georgia Technical College

My college football threads are never exclusively NCAA FBS, even though that is mostly what I discuss. That's why I put things in a general context. I still want to salute this season's National Champions.

If you're wondering, the NJCAA is for mostly community colleges and junior colleges. The NCFA is the National Club Football Association. The NCFA features proper football schools and even some non-football schools, such as Wright State, Oakland (MI), George Mason, The NCFA does, though, feature proper football schools such as Ohio State, Michigan State, and Pittsburgh.

Anyhow... thanks for contributing to the discussion of college football for the 2023 season! I'm sorry for any leagues and teams I may have missed in this post (may update this post if need be).

Back