Colorado Canyon, USA - MT's TOTY Back-to-Back

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 133 comments
About what I expected. Possibly the best looking truck, close to the Silverado in size, displayed with the tallest regular version they'll make, so expect about 2-3 inches lower for 2WDs and lower tier 4WDs.

As for the Global Ranger and Global Colorado, the former can be called an F-125 it's so close to their cherished F-150, that's why the US doesn't have it, and the latter I don't know enough about. I do have a question though. Weren't the automakers saying that they wanted full-on global companies? Wasn't that what the "One Ford" marketing was about, yet here we are again with vehicles designed almost exclusively for the US. Why does it seem like nothing has changed. HAS nothing changed?

Still way to big, which is a shame. I'd love to get a small truck for a daily driver so I could leave the Volvo in the garage.

About what I expected. Possibly the best looking truck, close to the Silverado in size, displayed with the tallest regular version they'll make, so expect about 2-3 inches lower for 2WDs and lower tier 4WDs.

That does seem like a pretty reasonable drop in height, I'm curious to see how the truck shapes up in regular form. A shame that the grille won't look the same on the lower trims. An easy fix, hopefully.

HAS nothing changed?

A unified global strategy only works for cars that can sell everywhere.

The global truck market sees American trucks as too big. This Colorado would tower over all the other trucks in its class. It's also slightly too wide.

This is compared to the global Ranger, which is already pushing the class boundaries, and is impractical in some situations where pick-up trucks are actually used for work.

Global "compacts" (now practically midsized) are too small for the American market, aren't laid out for American-sized motors (the Ranger may be an exception... it comes with an I5... not sure if your Navara has the same front sub-frame as ours).

It's only a matter of time, though. Another generation and the global pick-up class will be fully-midsized, and there will be no reason not to merge the two classes.

In the meantime, market tastes, as well as barriers like the "chicken tax" in the US, CAFE regulations (that force smaller pick-ups to meet stricter EPA standards) and displacement-based taxation systems in Europe and Asia will keep the two pick-up standards well-separated.

CAFE regulations (that force smaller pick-ups to meet stricter EPA standards)
I've loved that particular bit of ineptitude ever since they announced it as a "compromise" for Obama to get his higher numbers. They closed a massive loophole, and put in an even bigger one in to replace it.

I've loved that particular bit of ineptitude ever since they announced it as a "compromise" for Obama to get his higher numbers. They closed a massive loophole, and put in an even bigger one in to replace it.

They're never going to go against Detroit, whatever party is in power. :D

As for "hates", that's a yes and a no. While CAFE makes things difficult for small cars, the loopholes built into it are custom-tailored to protect the all-important big truck market of the Domestic manufacturers.

More proof yet the US Government hates the automobile.\.
The automakers wanted that. It made it so they couldn't do the whole "PT Cruise is a light duty truck" schtick, but it also made it so they could build the larger cars/trucks the American market continually demands and not have to worry nearly as much about those cars dragging the overall CAFE number down. It was a tradeoff that they honestly made out like bandits over. CAFE numbers get to go up so Obama wins, but the American market doesn't have to go through a round of vicious downsizing like it did in the mid-1980s (and the disastrous sales that followed for GM and to a lesser extent Ford, if not Chrysler).

Any chance of S-10 sized trucks becoming a thing again vanished overnight, and sports cars were seriously hit as well, but otherwise everyone made out well. Except hardcore environmentalists, I suppose.

Regardless, it is absolutely 🤬 idiotic for anything but greed. BUT, when greed runs the world, what's to be expected. The money won out, giving the environmentalist and the enthusiast firm middle fingers, and catering to those with the money who see driving as a chore, as a annoyance.

Dammit....I need to calm down....

CAFE is a mess of stupidity anyway. The S-10 was an excellent size for anyone not pulling or hauling super heavy stuff. This, the Toyota Tacoma, anything else pretending to be a compact pickup these days is too big.

Even Thor wants me to get one. And Thor has always said he can't see me driving a truck, ever. I hate it when Thor is right.

*Thor is my Dad

I remember seeing similar looking Chevy Trucks in Saudi Arabia back in 2006. Took awhile to catch up.

Chevy Colorado ZR2 concept