• 60 comments

Jump_Ace

Compare Yourself To The Best Of Your Own Abilities
Staff Emeritus
United States
Portland, OR
Jump_Ace
JUMPxACE
A friendly place to share your comics, discuss comics, show new purchases, cgc sets. Talk about your favorite comic issues/series', upcoming and past movies, anything comic related.

I'll get the ball rolling. I'm an avid Venom fan and have been collecting comics for about 17 years now and most of that time spent researching and collecting Venom appearances. Here's a list of the Venom comics I have and still need.

This past weekend I sold a bunch of Star Wars Legos sets in an effort to 'refine' my hobbies and I bought a Hulk 181 CGC 9.0.

My favorite current running series' are Amazing Spider-Man and the Walking Dead 👍 Enough about me, what about you?

Discuss away....

Last edited:
Very impressive collection Jump Ace, I've seen a few of your latest buys in the "Show off your latest purchase!" thread.

I have a small collection that pales in comparison to some of those magnificent pieces you have in your possession. I have a lot of TPB's and graphic novels of which a large portion is mostly of Batman.

I am a huge Loeb/Sale team up fan and have been collecting their colour series. My last purchase was the full set of Spiderman: Blue.

I also have in my possession a few silverage comics but none are really news worthy or in the best condition either unfortunately.

I love me some Batman too. I'm getting back to collecting the Knightfall series' from the 90's and would love to find a cheap CGC 497 :mischievous:. I just read the Killing Joke, Gotham by Gaslight, Year one and will start on Hush hopefully this week. Man its any wonder I accomplish anything when I'm not playing GT :lol: A friend of mine said I should read Transmetropolitian and I'm 10 issues in, but its not any better than Walking Dead (imo) and he said I should read Fables. Any Fables readers out there that love the series?

Jerome

I've always wanted to get into the world of comic books! I have a few comics that the local comic book store had for free. But I hope to start buying some.

I love me some Batman too. I'm getting back to collecting the Knightfall series' from the 90's and would love to find a cheap CGC 497 :mischievous:. I just read the Killing Joke, Gotham by Gaslight, Year one and will start on Hush hopefully this week. Man its any wonder I accomplish anything when I'm not playing GT :lol: A friend of mine said I should read Transmetropolitian and I'm 10 issues in, but its not any better than Walking Dead (imo) and he said I should read Fables. Any Fables readers out there that love the series?

Jerome

Both Year One & Hush are quite enjoyable. Year One can be likened to the Batman Begins movie in a lot of respects. I've got Transmetropolitian on my "to read" list, but I have trouble finding spare time to get down to my local comic store lately to pick up a copy.

I started reading Runaways the other night. Only one issue in so far but I'm intrigued enough to read on at least for a little longer to see how it pans and which direction the writers take it.

I used to collect comics from about 1985-1995. I focused mostly on stuff I enjoyed reading rather than speculating, so I don't have tons of key issues.

I do have an almost complete run of Cerebus, though the first 50 or so are reprints. I have 2 complete sets of the original Watchmen, and a bunch of older Frank Miller Dark Horse stuff. Both issues (or is it 3?) of the original black and white Men In Black, and a few of the hype-tastic McFarlane Spiderman variants.

I also have a bunch of the Alan Moore Miracleman series and lots of Gaiman Sandman. Also the great Howard Chaykin's American Flagg and a number of other First comics like Nexus and The Badger.

I've got 700-800 comics all told, a pretty non-mainstream and eclectic mix, so probably not all that big in collector value.

On a comic book related note I used to be mates with Leah Moore (who is Alan Moore's daughter) in the few years that she went to my school and used to go to parties at her parents house, they seemed pretty odd at the time although I didn't know about the comic book thing then. I only realised the connection when one of my mates was reading a comic book by Leah and I recognised the name, I find it quite amusing she has her own wikipedia page!

I don't have any watchmen Duke, but its on my list :D Thats really cool E.N., I didn't know she followed her fathers footsteps. There's no pic of her *tear* Was she cute? Nice?

Jerome

I don't have any watchmen Duke, but its on my list :D Thats really cool E.N., I didn't know she followed her fathers footsteps. There's no pic of her *tear* Was she cute? Nice?

Jerome

Errr, how to put this? Really nice and friendly girl with a great personality...

She's on the left and I think her husband is on the right, not sure who the other guy is.

2483867601_fd2e296c47.jpg

I have a pretty vivid memory of her 16th birthday party when her Mum got her a stripper (tame obviously) who was far from in his prime, all a bit grim really :ill:

Majority of my collection consists of Batman books and mostly all of the adjacent books thereof.

I do, however, have a good deal of books signed by Jim Lee, Geoff Johns (I can't find the damn GL: Rebirth issue he signed though!), Phil Jimenez, and a couple of others I can't remember. I haven't collected in quite a long time now and there's a lot of catching up I need to do. For starters, I need to pick up Flash: Rebirth and finish off Identity Crisis. :ill:

And I need to know how the hell this whole Anti-Venom thing came about, and to see what Sentry is doing (if anything).

The Amazing Spider-man 568 - 572 has the anti-venom info. Good reading and I (personally) think 569 (1st app of A.V.) shows what kind of power Eddie Brock has with the Alien Symbiote. Don't know if you recall, but a similar thing happened in Amazing Spider-Man 317, where Peter took off his suit and told the Alien Symbiote to return to him and it nearly did. but since it couldn't completely leave the old host, Brock passed out...or something like that. However, this time the suit (I think) is smarter and doesn't try to completely leave the old host, instead partially re-bonds with Brock. And since the old venom was a 'disease' in Brock's mind, this is the venom cure so to speak; Anti-Venom. Hope that made sense.

Jerome

Aaaah those were the days. I tried to get into comic book collecting when I was way younger and of course, way poorer, so it didn't quite work out. However, I happened to pick up some pretty decent and significative issues now that I look back at them. One of the coolest I have (and I still enjoy taking it outta the plastic bag and giving it a whirl) is the X-Men issue with the holo thing in the cover in which Magneto takes out all of Wolverine's adamantium. Boy that was some drawing. I think that's X Men #25... I really liked it. Sadly, I could never get the cmplete series, I have like two or three of those.

EDIT: Ah, yeah, X Men # 25 indeed:

XMen25-Pwned.jpg

I also got pretty much into the whole Spawn stuff when they began to be released here by a local company called Vid, who has released many, MANY comics of a number of houses, thus making them easy to find and read for the vast majority of non-english-practicers mexicans in here... but mostly because they were very afforadble. However, when the series got looooooooooooooooong and McFarlane dumped the pencils, I preactically lost interest in it.

by way of Vid I also got the Death of Superman and Knightfall, those were some pretty enjoyable series to read, specially Knightfall. But I was also getting more and more into non-translated comics. I remember about that time Gen 13 came out and it was all the rage.. today I find it pretty lame haha. The Danger Girl which now rules more than ever. I have #s 1 trough 4 of that.

Also, Venom & Carnage. I enjoyed that series soooo much. I actually really like Spider Man too. I got into all that stuff in the late 90s-early 00's, but by that time I had discovered anime and manga and was now sharing hobbies and struggling among them. Then in 2001 I met an otaku girl who is now my wife and she one-sided things a lot, hahaha... well, her and Hot Wheels.

I'll dig out the old stuff I have and post pics some times... and maybe will even read it again.

Oooo... That X-men issues would be a cool read Cano. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. Magneto is a badass and one of my favorite characters from the series. I've recently gotten into the reboot, Ultimate X-Men. Not a bad read, very flashy graphics and the TPB's are very well presented in hard cover and gloss print.
From Batman story arcs, personally Knightfall is probably one of my least favorites. It really didn’t grab me at all, the story was drawn-out and drab and I find Bane to be a boring and tedious villain. The pencil work was sub-par in comparison to a lot of the other Batman work out there as well. A few months ago I finished reading Bruce Wayne: Fugitive series, this was far more entertaining.

From Batman story arcs, personally Knightfall is probably one of my least favorites. It really didn’t grab me at all, the story was drawn-out and drab and I find Bane to be a boring and tedious villain. The pencil work was sub-par in comparison to a lot of the other Batman work out there as well. A few months ago I finished reading Bruce Wayne: Fugitive series, this was far more entertaining.

You, sir, have mental issues. :P

Why? I didn't like Bane, either.

-

I used to have a small collection... mainly 70's and 80's X-Men and some of the other more obscure "anti-heroes" (Outsiders, Doom Patrol) and related titles (New Mutants... I miss this...).

I even had a full set of "Fall of the Mutants"... and then it got eaten. By termites. Whatever was left got burned in a fire. And whatever was left after that was lost in a flood.

I've yet to experience Famine, but sadly, I have no more comics left to eat when the hunger strikes me.

Yeah, I agree... I mean, it was a good read back in the day, and of course the shock of seeing Batman fall made the entire series, but the artwork, specially in the definitive bone-cracking end, is just horrible. I remember being let way down by it when I picked it up, specially after seeing the great GREAT cover art. And yes Bane is pretty boring. I'd rather see Crock.

I was gonna start pickig up Hush (Batman +Jim Lee = no-brainer), edited some time ago by Vid again (in fact, I have #1 in spanish around) but never really got to it. wonder how much it would be to e-bay it... *searches*

Come to think of it, last comic book I got was the entire Saikano manga (again, in spanish by Vid, with very good translation and awesome hard-cover presentation) and that was about three years ago following the missu's orders, but I found it quite enjoyable as well. I have lately seen that Vid is releasing several Batman series, I'll have to see what they are about.

Also, is Civil War any good?

You, sir, have mental issues. :P

My wife would agree with you on that issue but for entirely different reasons :lol:

And yes Bane is pretty boring. I'd rather see Crock.

Also, is Civil War any good?

Yeah, I probably would much rather Croc or the Joker to be the ones that break Batman. Croc as he is portrayed in Hush or in the Gotham Knight DVD would have worked best as he is illustrated to be immensely powerful if a little dull witted.

I haven’t read Civil War yet but it's on my list as well.

Anyone reading comics on their Iphone/Ipads? I downloaded the Marvel app a few months back and am yet to purchase any comics through it but I've been reading the free ones. They have served pretty well in getting me interested in some different stories I might not normally pick up like the Runaways and Captain America.

That X-Men #25 was Epic when it came out. Magneto is probably my third favorite villain, right under Joker (2) and Venom (1). I just read the Wanted series, just six issues, but if you are into villains like I am, its pure heaven. JG Jones will be in Seattle at the Emerald City Comicon, I think I'll pick up a set for him to sign :sly:

I for one enjoyed Knightfall and Bane. But then again, about 99% of my favorite issues are of triumphant villains. Speaking of, I should get a platinum Superman 75 CGC before too long...

We have two iPads at work, one is the GM's and the other my bosses personal one, but he's into comics as well and that iPad is GREAT for reading comics. It's made for reading comics on the go. Apple got it right for us comic fans.

Jerome

Scott Pilgrimage

Some guy has been round Toronto photographing the real life locations from the Scott Pilgrim comic books. A couple of photos below but hit the link above for more from his flickr page.

4772949074_15b5649189.jpg

4768414604_3534e509d2.jpg

Woah, get outta here! Cool stuff man 👍

Jerome

I know this thread has been dead for nearly 4 years but I thought I'd try and bring it back to life again :)

Lately I've been a fan of Adventure Time, and upon hearing that there was a comic book series, I decided to have a look. I bought 6 issues from a spinoff to the main comic book series:

$_57.JPG

And I honestly enjoyed reading them, this coming from someone who never had the interest in purchasing comics beforehand. I'm considering obtaining more as well...

Oooo I'll show those to my wife. Heck I too enjoy Adventure Time. Ugh stop giving me more things to waste money in.

:lol:

That one was the "Marceline and the Scream Queens" spinoff. I am currently trying to obtain the other spinoff entitled "Candy Capers"

Then I'll go for the main series, and maybe some of the special covers along the way (for which there are dozens)

Last edited:
How's the writing? Kiddie-ish, more like the series, or more mature? Some of that cover art looks awesome. Be interested in picking up the series.

Erh... for my daughter... *cough* *cough*...and maybe my wife.

Oh, okay, I'll read them, too. :lol:

How's the writing? Kiddie-ish, more like the series, or more mature? Some of that cover art looks awesome. Be interested in picking up the series.

Erh... for my daughter... *cough* *cough*...and maybe my wife.

Oh, okay, I'll read them, too. :lol:

You can read a snippet of pretty much every comic on the Adventure Time Wikia (the link will take you to issue 1 of the spinoff I purchased) under the 'Gallery' section, and view the different covers as well. That's what got me interested (and possibly hooked :)).
In my opinion I would say the writing is more like the series with that Adventure Time 'feel' to it (especially with all of the music references :sly:). Furthermore, each issue comes with an additional short story.

On the note of covers, I have seen some pretty sick ones as apart of the main series. One recent cover (tying in to the music references) that caught my eye is from the 2014 Emerald City Comic-Con and designed by By Ian McGinty (can you guess it? ;))

ECCCAT25.jpg

But perhaps my personal favourites are the covers designed by JJ Harrison (you can view them
here). In particular, the covers with the characters on them (Issues #11-15 and #22), which are limited to 500 copies each-my favourite being Princess Bubblegum:

Adventure-Time-Comics-14-Princess-Bubblegum-by-JJ-Harrison.jpg

He needs to do one with Ice King and especially one with Flame Princess

P.S. I bought my set off Ebay, mainly because they don't sell them here in Australia (there are a few australian online retailers that do, but charge a lot for them). However, postage and handling can be expensive The comic set I bought cost $35 USD in total, $15 of which was postage and handling :indiff:

Last edited:
Let me be the bringer of bad news. :(

They are going to kill Archie in July.
Apparently he is going to die while saving a friend.
Which friend? Not sure yet. Maybe someone out there knows. Could be Jughead, could be Betty. . . .
But, yeah. Archie is finally going to be put to rest.
Hold on to those old issues.

Damn. that is indeed news. I don't know if bad as I hate Archie with all my being, but big news indeed.

This is about how I feel when we start talking about the mortality of comic characters.

...Of ooooooold comic characters...
pvp20090303.gif

Archie Andrews is over seventy years old.

He's been in and out of high school for seventy years, with little change. They finally make him an adult in recent years, but they're going to kill that Archie off and will instead concentrate on Zombie Teenage Forever Young Archie...

Poor guy. :D

Latest Posts

Back