Coming back after a bit.

• Thread starter kdryan
  • 39 comments
United States
Planet Earth
kdryan2
Just got a PS5 and the first thing I bought was GT7. I have to say I am a bit disappointed in the car selection. I see Kaz' hatred of American cars has not lessened. Not a Challenger in the game, Fords are limited to the Focus, Mustang and GT, and Shelby is nowhere to be seen, though I did see the 65 in a race. Music Rally? Are you serious?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a PS5 and the first thing I bought was GT7. I have to say I am a bit disappointed in the car selection. I see Kaz' hatred of American cars has not lessened. Not a Challenger in the game, Fords are limited to the Focus, Mustang and GT, and Shelby is nowhere to be seen, though I did see the 65 in a race. Music Rally? Are you serious?
The cars you're looking for rotate in and out of the Legend Cars Dealership. You only get access to that after completing café menu 17 which I'm guessing you haven't got to yet.

Not a Challenger in the game
GT7 Master Car List
Dodge
Challenger R/T 1970
Fords are limited to the Focus, Mustang and GT
GT7 Master Car List
Ford (21)
1932 Roadster 1963
F-150 SVT Raptor 2011
Focus Gr.B Race Car
Focus ST 2015
Focus RS 2018
GT40 Mk1 1966
Mark IV Race Car 1967
GT 2006
GT LM Race Car Spec II
GT LM Spec II Test Car Gr.3
GT 2017
GT LM GTE 2018
Mustang Boss 429 1969
Mustang Mach 1 1971
Mustang GT 2015
Mustang Gr.3
Mustang Gr.3 Road Car
Mustang Gr.4
Mustang Gr.B
Mustang Shelby GT350R 2016
Sierra RS Cosworth RS500 1987
Shelby is nowhere to be seen, though I did see the 65 in a race
GT7 Master Car List
Shelby (3)
Cobra 427 1966
Cobra Daytona 1965
GT350 1965

You know when those dialogs pop up on the screen? Here's a crazy suggestion: Read them. I know, pure lunacy, right?

So I get to wait for weeks just HOPING they will turn up? Seriously? Just out of curiosity, where would you rank GT7 among the rest of the series, because for me it's a disappointment.

So I get to wait for weeks just HOPING they will turn up? Seriously?
For the most part, no. And in fact "HOPING" isn't required at all; it's all pretty reliable.

Everything from 2001 and on is available at all times in Brand Central. That covers most cars - like, 75% of them.

2001-2010 road cars are also available as part of the Used Car Dealer cycle, which also includes most mass-produced pre-2001 cars. There's about 75 cars only available there (along with... I think about 35 that appear in both) and they appear on a largely set cycle. The whole thing repeats every... fiveish weeks, I think - but you'll also pick up a lot of the uniquely UCD cars playing through the GT Cafe single player.

High value, unique, rare, or expensive cars from before 2001 appear only in Legends Cars. There's again about 70 cars there, but they churn through much more slowly - again on a largely set cycle. It takes about three months for everything to rotate through, with the three cars required for a Trophy appearing on a different, more frequent rotation.

for me it's a disappointment.
If you've only just got it, that's both not a surprise and a weird thing to state; you've not even scratched the surface yet. You need to progress more through GT Cafe to unlock more tracks, cars, and features.

Yes. If you're not prepared to put any kind of commitment into the game, then you should ask yourself: "Why do I play this game?"
Ahh yes, I had forgotten about the Gran Turismo snobs...

For the most part, no. And in fact "HOPING" isn't required at all; it's all pretty reliable.

Everything from 2001 and on is available at all times in Brand Central. That covers most cars - like, 75% of them.

2001-2010 road cars are also available as part of the Used Car Dealer cycle, which also includes most mass-produced pre-2001 cars. There's about 75 cars only available there (along with... I think about 35 that appear in both) and they appear on a largely set cycle. The whole thing repeats every... fiveish weeks, I think - but you'll also pick up a lot of the uniquely UCD cars playing through the GT Cafe single player.

High value, unique, rare, or expensive cars from before 2001 appear only in Legends Cars. There's again about 70 cars there, but they churn through much more slowly - again on a largely set cycle. It takes about three months for everything to rotate through, with the three cars required for a Trophy appearing on a different, more frequent rotation.

If you've only just got it, that's both not a surprise and a weird thing to state; you've not even scratched the surface yet. You need to progress more through GT Cafe to unlock more tracks, cars, and features.
Thanks for the info!

This thread demonstrates why locking functionality behind progress is a bad design choice.
No it doesn't, most games you have to play a while to unlock things, in GT7 you get a lot of free and awesome cars by doing cafe menus, licence tests and in missions, it's quite easy to get a lot of free cars in this game.

Last edited:
No it doesn't, most games you have to play a while to unlock things, in GT7 you get a lot of free and awesome cars by doing cafe menus, licence tests and in missions, it's quite easy to get a lot of free cars in this game.
You say unlock “things”. Those things can be content, which usually works fine. However, having a main menu where you cannot access major features until you’ve played for a while is just dumb.

Let’s say you purchased the game to take pictures of cars - Apparently some people do that. Too bad, you have to progress through some Menu Books until Scapes are unlocked. Not very clever.

You say unlock “things”. Those things can be content, which usually works fine. However, having a main menu where you cannot access major features until you’ve played for a while is just dumb.

Let’s say you purchased the game to take pictures of cars - Apparently some people do that. Too bad, you have to progress through some Menu Books until Scapes are unlocked. Not very clever.
Scapes are not very useful if you don't have any cars to take pictures of and the best method is to do cafe menus with many cool free cars to take pictures of.

Last edited:
Scapes are not very useful if you don't have any cars to take pictures of and the best method is to do cafe menus with many cool free cars to take pictures of.
The usefulness of Scapes is not really tied to the size of your car collection. It works the same whether you have 1-3 cars or 400 cars.

Last edited:
But those things/cars you mention don’t come free. They come with a price of your time/energy. But then again why would one keep playing the game if everything is just given to you? Everyone has a different idea of what fun/goals they want to get out of the game. I will say that I wasn’t too impressed with the fact you have to complete up to menu 9 to unlock sport mode.

You had how long to research the game before buying it? You had how long to look at all the actual gameplay/reviews/content? The complete car list and exactly how the game and progression works is documented on multiple sites or YouTube videos. NOTHING about the game should be a surprise to you at this point, if it is, that is on you. If you knew you would dislike it because of the car list, why did you buy it? Why would you buy anything like a video game without doing even a little bit of looking into it beforehand?
I could understand if everything on the internet was completely misleading and lies about what cars are in the game and how the game works, but that’s not the case at all. Unless the only research you did consisted of looking at some random troll’s blog post instead of the official site, gtplanet or using the GT wiki and game reviews.
It really is mind boggling how many people just assume all the cars they personally like are in the game and the game will work exactly how they expect it to when they have access to so many resources that can either confirm or disprove these assumptions before spending any money on the game. It’s not the 1980’s anymore.

Given all the extras and improvements since the game launched, I'd be feeling pretty smug if I'd bought it for today's £50 price tag. Plenty to do in it.

Think yourself lucky you wasn't here at the start...

You had how long to research the game before buying it? You had how long to look at all the actual gameplay/reviews/content? The complete car list and exactly how the game and progression works is documented on multiple sites or YouTube videos. NOTHING about the game should be a surprise to you at this point, if it is, that is on you. If you knew you would dislike it because of the car list, why did you buy it? Why would you buy anything like a video game without doing even a little bit of looking into it beforehand?
I could understand if everything on the internet was completely misleading and lies about what cars are in the game and how the game works, but that’s not the case at all. Unless the only research you did consisted of looking at some random troll’s blog post instead of the official site, gtplanet or using the GT wiki and game reviews.
It really is mind boggling how many people just assume all the cars they personally like are in the game and the game will work exactly how they expect it to when they have access to so many resources that can either confirm or disprove these assumptions before spending any money on the game. It’s not the 1980’s
Wow,you so right; it's like you have a window into my soul! What the **** was I thinking when I bought I video game I have been following since GT4? I am going to throw my PS5 away and I'm never going to buy another game again. Thank God you aren't some kind of superior ass hat that thinks they know everything and are infallible. Thank you so much forcorrecting me and not being condescending about it at all...

Given all the extras and improvements since the game launched, I'd be feeling pretty smug if I'd bought it for today's £50 price tag. Plenty to do in it.

Think yourself lucky you wasn't here at the start...
Isn't it the same with every iteration of Gran Turismo? Remember the mess when GT5 rolled out?

Last edited by a moderator:
It really is mind boggling how many people just assume all the cars they personally like are in the game and the game will work exactly how they expect it to when they have access to so many resources that can either confirm or disprove these assumptions before spending any money on the game. It’s not the 1980’s anymore.
You say that like game developers have no responsibilities when it comes to game design.

I wasn’t disappointed until I finished the Menu Books and was like, “that’s it?” It’s kind of like a tutorial and then the rest of the game is up to you. I set out to get every car after that which took some 4 and a half months thanks to invitations and also required tons of grinding which I actually enjoy but most people don’t. I love the game still. I have PSVR2 and am in the process of building a cockpit with a wheel. I hadn’t played since GT4 and the content difference is huge so I get where you’re coming from.

Yeah. We don't wait for weeks for a car to show up in the LCD. We wait for months. And in the case of the Escudo and Ford Roadster, we wait for many months without any indication from PD as to the nature of or reason for the delay. :P

You say that like game developers have no responsibilities when it comes to game design.
Not at all. I say it like YOU have responsibility to make sure YOU buy games YOU like.

Game developers have the responsibility to make the game that got created, approved and funded to make. You are responsible for finding/buying the games you like. In this day and age that’s VERY easy to figure out before you buy a game, especially a game that has been out for over a year.
Game developers are not responsible for catering every detail (or any detail for that matter) of a game to your personal desires or ideas or what the game should be and include. There is absolutely no rule at all that says a developer has to make YOU happy. There’s nothing that says they have to make every game in a series exactly like the first one, or whichever number it is you fell in love with for whatever reason. They make the game, and if you like it you buy it. If you don’t, it’s not for you. If you buy it and don’t like it, sucks for you, but should teach you to not just buy games blindly in the future based on the title, company, genre etc.
It’s ok to have some complaints about a game, but what OP was complaining about was so easily avoidable by just taking 5-10 minutes to look online, or, as Famine pointed out, just play the game and pay attention to what is there, even if it’s not exactly when or where you would personally like it. Just because it’s not exactly when/where/how you want it, doesn’t mean it’s not there. Just because you want it doesn’t mean the developers are obligated to put it in the game for you.

Call me old-fashioned but I think Cars should be locked until you progress through the game. Same in GTA, other racing games, plus other types of games like Call of Duty or Two Point Hospital etc. The only place I wouldn't expect it is in true simulators like MS Flight Sim, F1 or Assetto Corsa.

That's probably where GT falls foul with its tag line - but GT7 players know it's not a true "simulator" in that fashion.

Last edited:
Call me old-fashioned but I think Cars should be locked until you progress through the game.
Would've been cool if some cars were locked behind races as prize cars, like the old games. This would give players a reason and motivation to win all the World Circuit races. I still haven't, because there's nothing to gain from doing so (apart from credits, but there are a select few that pay much more than the rest anyway).

And while the licenses yield prize cars, all cars in the game can be bought, so no car, apart from the ridiculously expensive Legendary cars, feel special.

Last edited:
Not at all. I say it like YOU have responsibility to make sure YOU buy games YOU like.

Game developers have the responsibility to make the game that got created, approved and funded to make. You are responsible for finding/buying the games you like. In this day and age that’s VERY easy to figure out before you buy a game, especially a game that has been out for over a year.
Game developers are not responsible for catering every detail (or any detail for that matter) of a game to your personal desires or ideas or what the game should be and include. There is absolutely no rule at all that says a developer has to make YOU happy. There’s nothing that says they have to make every game in a series exactly like the first one, or whichever number it is you fell in love with for whatever reason. They make the game, and if you like it you buy it. If you don’t, it’s not for you. If you buy it and don’t like it, sucks for you, but should teach you to not just buy games blindly in the future based on the title, company, genre etc.
It’s ok to have some complaints about a game, but what OP was complaining about was so easily avoidable by just taking 5-10 minutes to look online, or, as Famine pointed out, just play the game and pay attention to what is there, even if it’s not exactly when or where you would personally like it. Just because it’s not exactly when/where/how you want it, doesn’t mean it’s not there. Just because you want it doesn’t mean the developers are obligated to put it in the game for you.
I’m not sure why you took my reply as if game developers are required to create likeable games. Tastes differ and taste does not come into it. However, games need to be designed in a manner that does not confuse players to the point where they seek clarification from third party resources. This thread was created out of confusion, and you cannot blame it when you look at how GT7 has been put together. Like I said, it boils down to the way in which functionality is locked behind progress. It’s dumb.

Call me old-fashioned but I think Cars should be locked until you progress through the game. Same in GTA, other racing games, plus other types of games like Call of Duty or Two Point Hospital etc. The only place I wouldn't expect it is in true simulators like MS Flight Sim, F1 or Assetto Corsa.

That's probably where GT falls foul with its tag line - but GT7 players know it's not a true "simulator" in that fashion.
Totally fine with me, but at some point they should become readily available instead of waiting for months in the hope they just show up.

I’m not sure why you took my reply as if game developers are required to create likeable games. Tastes differ and taste does not come into it. However, games need to be designed in a manner that does not confuse players to the point where they seek clarification from third party resources. This thread was created out of confusion, and you cannot blame it when you look at how GT7 has been put together. Like I said, it boils down to the way in which functionality is locked behind progress. It’s dumb.
Mostly because you were seemingly defending OP in his false accusations and also assumptions the game should be catered to ones particular taste in cars. That’s all his post was, crying about how it doesn’t have enough muscle cars that he personally likes and also how he doesn’t care for Music Rally. If you want to take into account his later posts, it’s really not confusing how UCD works, especially if you’ve followed GT series since previous numbered games. It’s clear he bought the game having not looked into it AT ALL.
GT7 is one of the least confusing games released in the last several years. I could name dozens of more confusing games off the top of my head and I‘m not a huge gamer.
This game is not confusing at all in terms of progression or content, not one bit. Why they chose to make some stuff (minor details mostly) work in the way that it does, yes, but the general/overall game and contents, not confusing at all.
The game would be very, VERY boring if everything was unlocked from install.
The logic that you are pitching is quite “dumb” unless you’re only looking to play the game for a couple weeks then move on. Unless you think this game is a true racing simulator and only that? Though it’s not, it was clearly stated and marketed by Kaz himself as being focused on single player.

Totally fine with me, but at some point they should become readily available instead of waiting for months in the hope they just show up.
At some point they do become “readily” available, no hope required.

Mostly because you were seemingly defending OP in his false accusations and also assumptions the game should be catered to ones particular taste in cars. That’s all his post was, crying about how it doesn’t have enough muscle cars that he personally likes and also how he doesn’t care for Music Rally.
I’m not defending anyone.
If you want to take into account his later posts, it’s really not confusing how UCD works, especially if you’ve followed GT series since previous numbered games. It’s clear he bought the game having not looked into it AT ALL.
If you need to research a game before buying it in order to understand how it works, then it implies the game has design-related flaws.
GT7 is one of the least confusing games released in the last several years. I could name dozens of more confusing games off the top of my head and I‘m not a huge gamer.
So what? I fail to see the relevance of this.
This game is not confusing at all in terms of progression or content, not one bit.
The fact that you cannot create your own multiplayer lobby until you’ve completed several Menu Books is nonsensical. So yeah, GT7 can be quite confusing in the early stages.
The game would be very, VERY boring if everything was unlocked from install.
You think not having access to things like Scapes and multiplayer lobbies from the get go makes for a better game? Odd.

Again, I’m not saying “everything” should be unlocked from the beginning. Locking content like cars and circuits behind progress can work great, but every game mode and feature should be accessible from the get go. Forcing players to complete Menu Books to enjoy the full game is bizarre.
The logic that you are pitching is quite “dumb” unless you’re only looking to play the game for a couple weeks then move on. Unless you think this game is a true racing simulator and only that? Though it’s not, it was clearly stated and marketed by Kaz himself as being focused on single player.
True racing simulator? What does that have to do with what’s being discussed here?

Last edited:
Back