Coming over to iracing

Congrats, you wont regret it....Well maybe you'll question yourself battling the Rookie races, after that the racing is second to none.

That is no joke I joined iracing this week and my irating is in the shutter from being rear ended spun people spinning dead in front of me hell even cautions are dangerous

Is it just me, or are all the GT car's updated tire settings slowing the cars down DRAMATICALLY? No more 17 psi for GTE and the GT3s just seem to have lost tons of grip. I can't match any times from before the update, with the exception of the Cup Car... it seems to be relatively stable. People are guessing that the new tire model was brought over to the GT's, but I can't tell with the tire start heat at 160. Personally I think its a middle ground update... NTM 6.5. Personally, I'm close to 3 seconds off my best times on a 2 min. lap, which sucks because all my reference times are now completely useless and I can't reset them.

That is no joke I joined iracing this week and my irating is in the shutter from being rear ended spun people spinning dead in front of me hell even cautions are dangerous

Yeah... I remember those days. The bad news, it doesn't really ever change (at least in my limited history). An "A" licence driver will do the same as the Rookies, they just do it with more control. My suggestion, start from the back and avoid the trouble and finish some perfect no incident races to get the licence level of the classes you want to race, B or C. Once you have the licence, then you can concentrate on the iRating (finishing high). The racing gets a little cleaner up the iRating scale (but just a little, people driving faster tend to make bigger mistakes and you still get caught out by them). But still, work on the rating. The final licence or two will come naturally.

Is it just me, or are all the GT car's updated tire settings slowing the cars down DRAMATICALLY? No more 17 psi for GTE and the GT3s just seem to have lost tons of grip. I can't match any times from before the update, with the exception of the Cup Car... it seems to be relatively stable. People are guessing that the new tire model was brought over to the GT's, but I can't tell with the tire start heat at 160. Personally I think its a middle ground update... NTM 6.5. Personally, I'm close to 3 seconds off my best times on a 2 min. lap, which sucks because all my reference times are now completely useless and I can't reset them.

The new tire model actually was really good once you got used to it. But the hotfix on March 10th was the real kick into the guts... Well, gotta gitgud on what they throw at you, I guess.

The new tire model actually was really good once you got used to it. But the hotfix on March 10th was the real kick into the guts... Well, gotta gitgud on what they throw at you, I guess.

Yeah, the model itself isn't a problem for me, In all honesty... last week was my best week yet. The problem I had was the reference times are now useless.

Last edited:
Yeah, the model itself its a problem for me, In all honesty... last week was my best week yet. The problem I had was the reference times are now useless.

Are you talking like your split times (optimal, best lap, sectors etc) ? I think I saw you mention it elsewhere too...
If it is, you can reset them, dont know what to call it, but its the screen where you hit the button to actually go to pit lane/start race or whatever. From memory there is a little 'Splits (?)' box down the bottom left hand corner, open it up and reset them all.

I found I had to do that pretty much every NTM.

Are you talking like your split times (optimal, best lap, sectors etc) ? I think I saw you mention it elsewhere too...
If it is, you can reset them, dont know what to call it, but its the screen where you hit the button to actually go to pit lane/start race or whatever. From memory there is a little 'Splits (?)' box down the bottom left hand corner, open it up and reset them all.

I found I had to do that pretty much every NTM.

Sorry for the sloppy post... should say "the tire model itself isn't a problem for me". But it sounds like you picked up on the real issue. I use various splits during the race to aid in meeting what I see as an acceptable pace. In quali I use the "All Time Optimal" split, as this is a go for broke affair. In races, I generally use the "Session Best Optimal", this helps me to run relatively consistent and this will automatically take different track conditions in account and give me the fastest lap the track is willing to give me for that session. These times can be deleted at any time in the iRacing folder, OLAP and BLAP files. I believe these are the times you are referring to with the button you mentioned.

The problem I have is, the the profile best times for each car and track (found on the profile stat page). I use that to quickly determine what my fastest car is for a track. I don't think I can remove those. But I'll keep looking and try the button/option you mentioned.

@Z Crazy ... Thats far more involved than I ever got....All day everyday I just chased my All Time Optimal.
The more time spent chasing it, the more likely it can become the norm :).

@Z Crazy ... Thats far more involved than I ever got....All day everyday I just chased my All Time Optimal.
The more time spent chasing it, the more likely it can become the norm :).

Nothing wrong with doing that as long as you remember to pay attention to the grip available. A 120 degree track temp versus 80 degree track temp will drive some people crazy if they are trying to match a time. But honestly, I think that goes without really saying it.

Nothing wrong with doing that as long as you remember to pay attention to the grip available. A 120 degree track temp versus 80 degree track temp will drive some people crazy if they are trying to match a time. But honestly, I think that goes without really saying it.

Yeah I used to just adjust in my head throughout a race, set a target to be (for example) 1 sec off optimal by half way through race etc etc.
I found it just kept me pushing as hard as I could no matter what place I was in throughout all phases of the race.
Its a bit of a risky strategy but as long as you don't go over your/cars limit its all good...my average lap time over my races was always really strong compared to others so the system seemed to work well for me.

A setup overhaul is needed for the GT3's (and GTE's in that case), after a couple laps the GT3's drive even better than they did with v6 tires, max rear rake isn't going to work anymore.

A setup overhaul is needed for the GT3's (and GTE's in that case), after a couple laps the GT3's drive even better than they did with v6 tires...

I actually think the cars are a little more inconsistent, but it definitely added some character to the GT3's (which I like).

max rear rake isn't going to work anymore.

Are you serious... people drove these cars at max rake? I put 10-15 mm on and it feels like the cars are trying to do pirouettes. That must really take a crazy compensating setup to make it drive-able.

What is the competition like over on Iracing?

Good and bad...

Good as in, now there are significantly more people in the same or better skill level than other games. In GT Sport, I was always in the top 3 or on occasion top 5 in general lobbies. I now find myself struggling to break into the top 5. That's actually a good thing to me, but that close racing and full damage is also the bane of iRacing. With so many people so close in skill, there are more heads bumping over real estate. That's bad because even the slightest touch send you careening in to the wall and off to a 20 min repair.

Speaking of contact, iRacing has the worse virtual models in the business. Not the worst looking models, but actually the worse models as in how the game calculates contact. There are times when you are racing close and clean, but someone gets hit without contact. And it happens far too much.

The way they deal with bad connections is a mix bag... no lag rams (absolutely GREAT), but instead... lag hops. That's straight up and down.... so its very annoying and distracting, but you won't get rammed off (in my limited experience). Like other games, if it reach a point they will boot the player. However, because iRacing uses a rating system that rates your finishing to place you in rooms, when you drop out (for any reason) you lose MASSIVE rating, which snowballs in to you getting placed with worse drivers creating more contact and making things worse.

Lots of good, lots of bad... you'll have to weigh the things you prioritize. I'm hooked, but its definitely not a no-brainer.

Good and bad...

Good as in, now there are significantly more people in the same or better skill level than other games. In GT Sport, I was always in the top 3 or on occasion top 5 in general lobbies. I now find myself struggling to break into the top 5. That's actually a good thing to me, but that close racing and full damage is also the bane of iRacing. With so many people so close in skill, there are more heads bumping over real estate. That's bad because even the slightest touch send you careening in to the wall and off to a 20 min repair.

Speaking of contact, iRacing has the worse virtual models in the business. Not the worst looking models, but actually the worse models as in how the game calculates contact. There are times when you are racing close and clean, but someone gets hit without contact. And it happens far too much.

The way they deal with bad connections is a mix bag... no lag rams (absolutely GREAT), but instead... lag hops. That's straight up and down.... so its very annoying and distracting, but you won't get rammed off (in my limited experience). Like other games, if it reach a point they will boot the player. However, because iRacing uses a rating system that rates your finishing to place you in rooms, when you drop out (for any reason) you lose MASSIVE rating, which snowballs in to you getting placed with worse drivers creating more contact and making things worse.

Lots of good, lots of bad... you'll have to weigh the things you prioritize. I'm hooked, but its definitely not a no-brainer.

I am concerned that I will feel slow after moving to iRacing. :lol: I am a B+ with a DS4. Would be solid A or maybe even A+ tier if my G27 was still compatible with PS4.

I want to try to go for one of the iRacing championship titles, but it’s going to take a lot of work.

I am concerned that I will feel slow after moving to iRacing. :lol: I am a B+ with a DS4. Would be solid A or maybe even A+ tier if my G27 was still compatible with PS4.

I want to try to go for one of the iRacing championship titles, but it’s going to take a lot of work.

Honestly... you will feel slower. But that's where growth comes from. I've improved significantly after recognizing some very hard to find errors. You'd be surprised to find how much grip you throw away just in how you use the controls.

Honestly... you will feel slower. But that's where growth comes from. I've improved significantly after recognizing some very hard to find errors. You'd be surprised to find how much grip you throw away just in how you use the controls.
Gran Turismo 6 was super easy to master, just turn until the tire indicator turns pink. lol.

I am pretty sure I will be joining iRacing but had some questions. I am not into Nascar or oval type racing but more into GT cars and F1.

Are those classes available to race, how difficult as a newbie to get into those classes once I pass rookie class?

I am pretty sure I will be joining iRacing but had some questions. I am not into Nascar or oval type racing but more into GT cars and F1.

Are those classes available to race, how difficult as a newbie to get into those classes once I pass rookie class?

Yes, both of those are available. The breakdown is like this.

Rookie: Miata MX-5 (1 make [1M])

Class D: BMW M8 (1 make), Cadillac CTS or Kia Optima (mixed class [MC]), Formula 2.0 ( 1M ), Spec Racer Ford (1M), Formula Sprint F3 (1M), Skip Barber F2000 (1M)

Class C: Advanced Miata (1m), IMSA (MC), Indy Car, F3 series (more advanced), Pro Mazda (1M), Radical (1M), Super Cars, there are a few more.

Class B: Le Mans Series (MC), Formula 3.5, VRS GT Series

Class A: F1

As you can see, there is plenty of racing at all levels. You can jump into GT cars and Formula open wheels right after rookie.

Hope this helped.

Class D: BMW M8 (1 make), Cadillac CTS or Kia Optima (mixed class [MC]), Formula 2.0 ( 1M ), Spec Racer Ford (1M), Formula Sprint F3 (1M), Skip Barber F2000 (1M)

Class C: Advanced Miata (1m), IMSA (MC), Indy Car, F3 series (more advanced), Pro Mazda (1M), Radical (1M), Super Cars, there are a few more.

As you can see, there is plenty of racing at all levels. You can jump into GT cars and Formula open wheels right after rookie.

Hope this helped.
Sounds like a good time.

Hope this helped.

Very much so. Thank you for the detailed reply.

In Class D which is where I assume I would be racing for a bit once I pass Rookie, is one of those classes more popular than the other?

IMO, no. Response time not good. See my computer specs below in sig.... my monitor listed last.

Looks like it should be fine you can use about any monitor fov (field of vision) is about the most important. Some like triples some use smaller monitors personally I use a 75in 4k uhd monitor. All depends what you want and like.

In Class D which is where I assume I would be racing for a bit once I pass Rookie, is one of those classes more popular than the other?

The BMW is really popular so is the Cadillac if u like fenders if not the skip is probably the way to go.

The BMW is really popular so is the Cadillac if u like fenders if not the skip is probably the way to go.

Good to hear, the BMW should pair nicely with my new BMW GT2 Wheel

CSW-RBMW-3.jpg

Don´t know if you already joined iRacing. If not, I strongly recommend to start with mx5 on Rookie class. Run 4 CLEAN races, and you will be promoted to D licence. On it, you will have the possibility to run some races with free content, and first buy should be BMW GTE (if you want to go for road cars). Feel free to DM me if you have any question.

Back