Coming over to iracing

Same here. I think its mostly the damage but, in GT Sport people must take care or they are penalized. A penalty in a short race is painful. Even if they get it wrong 30% of the time, its right 70%. In iRacing the only penalty is a licence rating hit, which many times is inconsequential. Either way, its amazing that the less invested crowd seems to drive more carefully.

Unfortunately, the change in tire models effect the lap times a lot... and depending on your driving style, it affects some more than others.

Yeah

+ I feel a difference going from from g27 /csw v2 + gt27 pedals to DD1 + CSP v3 (mostly in braking)

Would be cool to track how over the years everything affected my speed but it is hard to replicate same conditions

Last edited:
Well I've bought my first gaming pc today and just downloading iracing, I'm driver rating A in gt sport but sick of the dirty driving.
I figure people who pay a sub to play must be cleaner, only went for 1 month membership to see how I go.
Have a fanatec csl elite wheel without load cell at the minute, as I bought it a couple of weeks ago and the LC are out of stock and selling for silly money second hand. Hope to see some of you out on the track, steam username is furryhobnob if anyone wants too add me

I think that video has some good advice, but I have to add to it. There’s no reason to rush to “get out of rookies”. I got out in like 2 or 3 days and immediately hopped into an F3 car and almost ruined the game for myself. You can benefit a lot from driving the rookie Mazda races, even though it’s a rookie class there is a lot of high level competition to be had there

Just doing time trials in the mazda now, going to spend a couple of days getting used to the game mechanics, car feels great to be honest and I'm having fun, which is key.
I'm new to pc gaming though so it's going to take a while to get used to how it works, it's not like gt sport where I can just go and find a race by the looks of it, and the series are 1 race every 7 days? Or am I looking in the wrong place? I'll watch the video above, it may help me, thanks for the welcome though.

Just doing time trials in the mazda now, going to spend a couple of days getting used to the game mechanics, car feels great to be honest and I'm having fun, which is key.
I'm new to pc gaming though so it's going to take a while to get used to how it works, it's not like gt sport where I can just go and find a race by the looks of it, and the series are 1 race every 7 days? Or am I looking in the wrong place? I'll watch the video above, it may help me, thanks for the welcome though.

The races vary depending what class you at... From memory Rookie races run every 30min on the same track for 1 week, then switch tracks for the next week. They are 12 week seasons.
Once you get to other classes the races spread out a bit (maybe every few hours ?) but same system of 1 track per week for the season.
Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you sorted it makes you wonder what you even worried about to start with.

One thing on that video I dont fully agree with is starting from Pit Lane... Its all good when you first start, but you definitely want to be used to grid starts by the time you get out of rookies. Same with standing starts, dont forget to do a few practice starts before jumping on the grid.

I angrily PM’d someone last month, and got a really sincere apology and ended up being cool with the guy.

It’s definitely a different type of people on iRacing than playing on consoles, or any of the random matchmaking games really.

Along those lines, here’s another tip for new iRacing players: The members forums are really good, check them out

Well had my first race in the mx5 yesterday. Messed up my qualifying so started 7th. Worked my way upto 3rd on the first lap.
Chased down the leaders over the next 2 laps and just as I was overtaking 2nd place the guy in 1st engine blew up so I was in the lead from the 4th lap.
Pulled out a 7 second lead only to mess up on the last lap and crash the car, literally had to limp home and finished 2nd.
Thoroughly enjoying what I've driven so far though.

That’s a really eventful first race, I wonder what caused the engine to blow
I don't know, it just went bang and a big puff of smoke, I've had it happen to me on practice sessions, are they just random failures or to do with over revving, shifting incorrectly or similiar?

As far as I know they don’t do random failures. Possibly it could be a shifting thing but I haven’t seen it happen yet
Just did a quick Google, it can happen from downshifting too soon, or over revving, or hitting a kerb too hard and damaging the underside of your engine.
Like I said I've had it happen to me on a practice session but as I've only been playing the game a couple of days so I didn't know if it was random or caused by the user.

Yeah, I can confirm that you can destroy the transmission if you accidentally downshift when you meant to up-shift. Been there, done that, part of why I race GT cars rather than the Formula cars. (Plus, I find I'm much better at handling powerful low-downforce cars than lightweight high-downforce cars.)

Well I'm 3 races in now and think I'm cursed, qualified first on both, last lap and i got took out by a back marker I was lapping on the last lap! And the last race got absolutely nailed going into the first corner putting me into 10th, gradually worked my way back through the field for 10 laps, finished 2nd on both..... I just want my first win

Sometimes you gotta take what you can get. Racking up pole positions is hard to and worth celebrating. Then there’s also the fact that even though you got taken out you were able to recover.

I had a stretch of five races this week, where I was either taken out while leading, or taken out on the first lap after qualifying well. I finished 10th or 11th in 4 of those races, and on the other I could only get 6th.

Sometimes you gotta take what you can get. Racking up pole positions is hard to and worth celebrating. Then there’s also the fact that even though you got taken out you were able to recover.

I had a stretch of five races this week, where I was either taken out while leading, or taken out on the first lap after qualifying well. I finished 10th or 11th in 4 of those races, and on the other I could only get 6th.
Add me on steam if you fancy racing sometime, username furryhobnob

Yep, over-rev'ing the engine will pop it. Also over-heating it, so if you get into the back of someone or in to a wall on a front engine car watch your engine temps. It can pop.

I've even had weird failures by bottoming out on a curb (I assume it simulating curb to engine contact). Be aware, contact of all sorts kills in iRacing.

Well I've just bought an oculus rift s to play iracing with, I've used a psvr before and was impressed with how immersive driveclub was in VR.
Just set it up and had a little blast in the radical around laguna seca, and i must say I'm very impressed

IRacing in VR is great, I’ve been working on keeping my eyes up. Looking for corner exits early and keeping my vision down track as much as possible.

btw, I’ll add you next time I log onto steam, I don’t have iRacing through Steam, so it may be a little while before I’m on

IRacing in VR is great, I’ve been working on keeping my eyes up. Looking for corner exits early and keeping my vision down track as much as possible.

btw, I’ll add you next time I log onto steam, I don’t have iRacing through Steam, so it may be a little while before I’m on
I think you can add me on iracing too?

You know, one of the most underrated things about iRacing is the protest system. I had a race this weekend where I attempted to pass a guy for first, but his internet was bad, and his car was frequently blinking in and out of invisibility. So instead of passing him cleanly I hit him at the hairpin and took first. He then spent the next 3 laps hitting me 5 times to try to spin me before ultimately knocking me out of the lead and into 11th place. That guy deserves a suspension, and iRacing is the only sim that would give it to him

Frankie Dixon2, don't know why they added a 2?
That usually means somebody else named Frankie Dixon signed up before you, or something like that. If it bothers you, you can email their support and offer an alternate spelling/middle name/ middle initial and they’ll change it for you.

You know, one of the most underrated things about iRacing is the protest system. I had a race this weekend where I attempted to pass a guy for first, but his internet was bad, and his car was frequently blinking in and out of invisibility. So instead of passing him cleanly I hit him at the hairpin and took first. He then spent the next 3 laps hitting me 5 times to try to spin me before ultimately knocking me out of the lead and into 11th place. That guy deserves a suspension, and iRacing is the only sim that would give it to him

Sorry to break it to you, but the suspensions are weak, and people are given a pretty wide latitude before it even gets there. My faith in that system is dead. It doesn't protect me, it just stops me from retaliating. Honestly, I preferred GT Sport's method, even though it penalized the wrong person on occasion. What it does better than iRacing's system is separate two people who shouldn't be near each other at that time. But you take the good with the bad.

Sorry to break it to you, but the suspensions are weak, and people are given a pretty wide latitude before it even gets there. My faith in that system is dead. It doesn't protect me, it just stops me from retaliating. Honestly, I preferred GT Sport's method, even though it penalized the wrong person on occasion. What it does better than iRacing's system is separate two people who shouldn't be near each other at that time. But you take the good with the bad.

The way I look at these things is, if you hit someone or someone hits you on a real life track/race both of you are punished whether you are at fault or not... Its kinda the same on iRacing, your fault or not everyone's race ends up ruined, so no real point in wasting energy stressing about it...Just try and learn some lessons and have a better race next time.

Back in the days I was trying my hand at a bit of oval racing, I think I was still in the rookie races but slowly starting to learn and gain some ratings (and enjoying my journey too)... On one race I had worked my up the field but there was obviously an incident between a couple guys, one of them spat the dummy and started driving the wrong way around the track, he took out several drivers including me, we all must have protested him (to this day still my one and only protest)... Didn't see him back online for 3 months.... Good job :).

To your point, I checked in on the guy I thought should’ve been suspended, and it looks like he was racing last night. I guess he must’ve gotten coached or possibly my protest wasn’t upheld.

I understand leniency for first time offenders, but a case where I guy rammed my (race leading) car 5x in one race feels like it should’ve been taken more seriously

To your point, I checked in on the guy I thought should’ve been suspended, and it looks like he was racing last night. I guess he must’ve gotten coached or possibly my protest wasn’t upheld.

I understand leniency for first time offenders, but a case where I guy rammed my (race leading) car 5x in one race feels like it should’ve been taken more seriously

They will give the other driver a warning and say if it continues they will possibly suspend or ban them. I got warned for a retaliation once and protested the guy who hit me and they said there was nothing they could do because it wasn't clear. Funny thing was the guy admitted it was a bad move in his protest (attempted a pass from .800 second back in a corner where you only brake lightly), but errors like that are OK.

I hate that everything in the protest process is seen as "incidental", or "just mistakes". In my experience, anyone running times to be even close to me, knows exactly how to place their car. Those incidents are very much a pre-calculated "let see what happens" moment, and by iRacing's protest policy, that's Ok. So, I guess my real complaint is, there no deterrent for making bad decisions or aggressive passes that push someone off the road.

Yeah, I had a race this morning that left me burning mad, and I realize that it isn’t even protestable. I spent two laps poking and prodding a slower car, looking for a clean pass. Passed him with plenty of space and respect, then got punted in the very next corner bc he realized he could use me as a brake.

I gave up lap time, the previous two laps, and in the spin bc I chose to play the right way. If I spun him the first time I got close, I would’ve finished 15 seconds up the road

Back