Communist Cars

• Thread starter Populuxe
  • 84 comments
Those Volgas above were before my time, for me the GAZ-24 is THE Volga (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZ-24). I can't remember seeing any that wasn't black though and these were rare anyway - just look at the photo how much bigger it is compared to a Lada next to it.

Wolga_%287907455638%29.jpg

GAZ-24_%22Volga%22_in_Estonia.jpg

Two-gaz-24-volgas.jpg

East Germany built the Sachsenring P240 in the old Horch plant in Zwickau, but it was competing against the Tatra 603 from Czechoslovakia. They were tested against each other and the Tatra won, meaning the P240 had to be retired because in Communist Europe, there can be only one luxury executive class car.

Sachsenring P240, 2407 straight-6, 1956-1959

Tatra 603, 2500cc air-cooled V8, 1956-1975

Don't make the mistake of thinking the Communists were a bunch of downers. They could have fun, too.

Škoda Felicia, 1100cc inline-4, 1959-1964

AWZ P70 Coupé, 684cc 2-cylinder 2-stroke, 1957-1959

When WWII ended, the city of Eisenach was in the Soviet sector, which was a problem for BMW as that was where their manufacturing plant was located. The Soviets put BMW back into production while the the BMW ownership had relocated to Munich. All BMWs built between 1945 and 1951 are in fact Eisenach-built. Once the Soviets gave the plant to the East German government, BMW was able to sue for the return of their name, logo and all trademarks. The Eisenach plant was renamed EMW for Eisenacher Motorenwerke. And then it was renamed VEB Automobilwerk Eisenach. Finally, they ended production of BMW based cars in 1955 and began production of Wartburg cars in 1956. The Wartburg 311 is an evolution of the EMW 309, which in turn was based on the pre-war DKW F9, a small FWD sedan using a two-stoke triple cylinder engine. The F9 was never put into production as the war intervened. Confused? You should be. East German car history is convoluted AF.

tl;dr The Wartburg 311, 312 and 313 were built in Eisenach, East Germany and were all front-wheel-drive powered by a 901cc two-stroke triple from 1956 to 1962. In '62, the capacity was increased to 992cc and remained that way until production ceased in 1967. The car came in several body-styles and was surprisingly attractive. Do yourself a favor and check out custom Wartburgs. I'll probably do you a favor and post some up tomorrow. In the meantime, here's the Wartburg 311 family in stock form.

1963 Wartburg 311 sedan

Wartburg 311/3 coupe

Wartburg 311/5 Camping Limousine

Wartburg 311/7 pickup

Wartburg 311/9 Combi

Wartburg 312 sedan

1966 Wartburg 312/300 HT Coupe

Wartburg 313/1 Sport-Cabriolet

Last edited:
Here are a few more from the Wartburg 311 family that I missed yesterday, and several customs.

1958 Wartburg 311/2 cabriolet

Wartburg 312 carbiolet

Wartburg 313/1 Sportcoupé

Wartburg 311 custom

1958 Wartburg 311 custom

Wartburg 311 with a Chevy 4 liter inline-6

Wartburg 311 chopped with v8

Wartburg 311 custom lowered (might be a digital render)

Wartburg 311 coupe custom

Wartburg 311 coupe custom yellow

Wartburg 312 custom

Let's head to Poland and check out the FSO/FSM Syrena. First put in production in 1956, it was FWD with a two-stroke twin of 746cc. In 1966, the new 104 variant came with a new two-stroke triple of 842cc, still driving the front wheels. A van and truck were available in addition to the regular two-door sedan. In 1972 FSO was renamed FSM. The new 105 reflected that name change as well as debuting new front hinged doors to replace the old suicide doors. The 105 was produced from 1972 to 1983. There was a Syrena Sport prototype in 1960 that was fundamentally different from the regular Syrena. Most notably, the engine was a four-stroke boxer twin of 700cc. It was extensively tested but never went into production. in the late-'70s the Sport as well as several other prototypes were destroyed to make room in the garage at the factory. Several replicas have been built since then.

FSO Syrena 100

FSO Syrena 101

FSO Syrena 102

FSO Syrena 103 (still sporting it's original paint.)

FSO Syrena 104

FSO Syrena 104 Bosto van

FSM Syrena 105

FSM Syrena R20 truck

FSO Syrena Sport replica

Last edited:
Thats not technically a communist car, but it does follow the communist-car tradition of flat-out copying designs from more successful Western models.

Last edited:
Thats not technically a communist car, but it does follow the communist-car tradition of flat-out copying designs from more successful Western models.
Of course, it is a Russian car. It doesn't matter if it is a copy of Western models.

This car is developed (by NAMI) and assembled in Russia, so what is not Russian about this car?

Of course, it is a Russian car. It doesn't matter if it is a copy of Western models.

This car is developed (by NAMI) and assembled in Russia, so what is not Russian about this car?
I didn't say it wasn't Russian, it's just not a communist car. There's a Russian car thread for Russian cars of all ages. My understanding was that this thread was for cars produced under communist regimes for all countries that apply.

Last edited:
I didn't say it wasn't Russian, it's just not a communist car. There's a Russian car thread for Russian cars of all ages. My understanding was that this thread was for cars produced under communist regimes for all countries that apply.
I honestly thought that I posted this in the Russian car thread.

Last edited:
I just recently discovered the art station website of Nail Khusnutdinov. He does 3d renders of car. Mostly Soviet, but also others from around the world. Trucks, tanks, cars, modern and ancient, he does them all. This is just a small example of vans he's rendered. I can't tell, but it looks like he does these for magazines, or possibly for scale model car companies as well.

zil-118k

raf-977dm-latviya

barkas-b1000

nysa-522m

nysa-521t

zuk-a07m

zuk-a-03

eraz-762b

nami-013

raf-10-festival

rocar-tv12f

nysa-n59

raf-978-spriditis

uaz-452a

Last edited:
SMZ S-3D. Made by the Soviet government and loaned or leased them to people with disabilities for very little or even no money. The lessee could not sell it, and after five years, they returned it to the welfare organization they got it from and were given another.
1024px-Мотоколяска_СМЗ-С3Д_у_Хаджохской_теснины.jpg

S3D_microcar_for_disabled_drivers.jpg

Back