Comparing GT Sport's Night-Time Nürburgring to the Real Thing

I'm sure the illumination will be better with HDR enabled but for a fair comparison the real life video also should played on TV with HDR enabled and again the illumination in GT will be darker.I wonder how many players have HDR TV's and whether these players with HDR TV's will be faster in night races because their visibility is better.
I think it will look much closer with real life captured with a top drawer camera in 4K HDR. Hopefully PDI do another official Nürburgring reality check video, they've likely got decent cameras. Having a quick look back at some of their videos, I appreciate more how good quality it is now.

I think PD also needs to focus on secondary lighting. Bloom on the rpm lights, display casting a little light on the steering wheel, etc.

Oh, i would always prefer to turn OFF any cockpit lights that i can get away with. Because stronger the inside light is the more it decreases visibility of things outside of cockpit.

Oh, i would always prefer to turn OFF any cockpit lights that i can get away with. Because stronger the inside light is the more it decreases visibility of things outside of cockpit.
Can't really say I noticed that to be the case in other games.

It is factual when even one light source is entering your eye it decreses your ability to see. The brighter the light the stronger the effect. Didn't you ever in your life cover your eyes with your hand in order to see better? Well i cant do that while driving so i would prefer to turn off or tune down any in cockpit light that i can get away with.

It is factual when even one light source is entering your eye it decreses your ability to see. The brighter the light the stronger the effect. Didn't you ever in your life cover your eyes with your hand in order to see better? Well i cant do that while driving so i would prefer to turn off or tune down any in cockpit light that i can get away with.
Sure that may have been the case in real life instances when you're looking at things like the sun, or exiting a tunnel, but this isn't exactly the same thing. Like I said though, I haven't really noticed any issue with that with any other games. I don't really think that's the same thing.

What I do know that makes it harder to see with night races in these games is if I'm actually playing the game during the day. If I'm playing at night, or when the sun is past peak hours, there doesn't seem to be an issue with visibility and light sources.

Last edited:
Sure that may have been the case in real life instances when you're looking at things like the sun, or exiting a tunnel, but this isn't exactly the same thing. Like I said though, I haven't really noticed any issue with that with any other games. I don't really think that's the same thing.

What I do know that makes it harder to see with night races in these games is if I'm actually playing the game during the day. If I'm playing at night, or when the sun is past peak hours, there doesn't seem to be an issue with visibility and light sources.
I guess it (the illumination in the cockpit) can hinder your visibility into the darkness when you have a big HDR TV (that takes much of your sight) that can get very bright and make use of those huge numbers of nits that GT Sport can output.

I guess it (the illumination in the cockpit) can hinder your visibility into the darkness when you have a big HDR TV (that takes much of your sight) that can get very bright and make use of those huge numbers of nits that GT Sport can output.
Yet, that is not what we're talking about here. His is a comparison to real life, your's is accounting the TV's for the issue. It's a different topic, it seems. Talking about the TV's, I don't think I've heard anything of the sort pop up for those that do have an HDR TV.

Yet, that is not what we're talking about here. His is a comparison to real life, your's is accounting the TV's for the issue. It's a different topic, it seems. Talking about the TV's, I don't think I've heard anything of the sort pop up for those that do have an HDR TV.
What i mean is that it would hinder your sight like it does in real life when the TV outputs bright stuff with many nits. Yamauchi said GT Sport is outputting up to 10.000 nits, so once TVs are getting more capable in that regard this could be an lasue. It seems GT Sport can get very much brighter than other games going by those 10.000 nit stuff

What i mean is that it would hinder your sight like it does in real life when the TV outputs bright stuff with many nits. Yamauchi said GT Sport is outputting up to 10.000 nits, so once TVs are getting more capable in that regard this could be an lasue. It seems GT Sport can get very much brighter than other games going by those 10.000 nit stuff
If I remember correctly, Isn't that something that's not achievable on current TV's?

Whatever the case, of the many videos I've seen, and the experiences I had with other games, I can't really see this as an issue, like the real life instances he specifically noted. When driving in real life at night, I can't really say I've noticed my interior lights to be distracting to the point that I couldn't see, or that it was detrimental to my vision. In fact, I specifically wanted them visible as these are all tools to you and you should be aware of what is going on when you're driving. Subjective opinion, I know, but I can't really see it as big of a problem as it was portrayed.

What I find to be truly distracting in games, as well as real life, is seeing lights moving around in your mirrors, from the car trailing you, as the movement is going to cause your eyes to notice them much more, in my opinion.

If I remember correctly, Isn't that something that's not achievable on current TV's?

Whatever the case, of the many videos I've seen, and the experiences I had with other games, I can't really see this as an issue, like the real life instances he specifically noted. When driving in real life at night, I can't really say I've noticed my interior lights to be distracting to the point that I couldn't see, or that it was detrimental to my vision. In fact, I specifically wanted them visible as these are all tools to you and you should be aware of what is going on when you're driving. Subjective opinion, I know, but I can't really see it as big of a problem as it was portrayed.

What I find to be truly distracting in games, as well as real life, is seeing lights moving around in your mirrors, from the car trailing you, as the movement is going to cause your eyes to notice them much more, in my opinion.
Just for clarification, do you mean the interior lights at the roof?

Just for clarification, do you mean the interior lights at the roof?
No, I mean any interior light source that is visible when the car is on. So anything within, or around the Tach, basically.

Last edited:
No, I mean any interior light source that is visible when the car is on. So anything within, or around the Tach, basically.

Mhm, i mostly dim my dashboard lights in my volvo a bit because its a bit distracting to me when they are too bright but it isnt that they are hindering my sight, thats only the case when the roof lights are on (or when you drive a 2012 or so kia ceed with extrem blue radio display :scared:) and i thought you where talking about those because there was the mention that the cockpit should have much more light. (Which it shouldnt in my opinion because the real life footage shows an completely dark cockpit too, just as it is when you drive in the dark when there are no road lights or such)

Edit: the car with that killer blue radio display that cant be dimmend but only shut off completely and turns on again as soon as you push a button is a 2010 hyundai i30 :boggled:

Last edited:
Just when I was beginning to develop the theory that all the GR.3 onboard views gearbox whine and shift clicks sounds were the copy and pasted real life noises of the Nissan GT-R GT3 on boards. Ah well, I'll have to dig for some faults. :lol:

Back