Competition: Win Beer!

• Thread starter W3H5
  • 30 comments

W3H5

Premium
Thailand
Thailand
Do you like beer? How about beer that you don't have to pay for? Of course you do!

Here's your chance to win some free beer curtesy of Shem. (European applicants only, sorry other continents)

In summer I will head out on a journey to an as-of-yet undecided location and get the beers in for one lucky member. If you feel like you deserve free beer then all you have to do is convince me to visit your town for my holidays and the best entry wins beer.

Here's how to apply: Post in this thread the reason why I should visit your town. Describe some fun activities to join in there and add interesting facts. Pictures welcome.

Terms and conditions: Prize term "free beer" is representative of an evening of beer drinking in which the costs will be covered by me up to the limit of drunkenness and/or expulsion from the drinking establishment e.g last orders.

Additional: Preferential choices will be towns with readily available, reasonably priced accommodation, camp sites with trees or just trees in general. As much as I'd enjoy Bosnia or Turkey those kinds of places pose difficulties and would probably be ruled out. Must be within the EU, including UK and Ireland.

Good luck!

My spidey sense just tingled...

Someone mentioned free beer...

Hmm, upon further investigation, it seems that the fact I live in a crap town 80-ish miles north of London, with nothing to offer, is a drawback.

I have 2 home towns. :P Lincoln and Nottingham.

Lincoln. It has a steep hill, a castle and a cathedral. Other than that it is quite poor in my opinion. Unless you wanted to tour the RAF villages around it which obviously have massive connections to WW2. The Red Arrows are based near there too and we get free displays sometimes.

Nottingham. Loads of good bars, loads of good restaurants, a castle, my uni (I could likely get you into the union bar), a very good tram network. I have loads of friends who could join us. Also has a number of shops and some nice villages (with pubs) that are easy to get to via the tram. Also has a beach in the city centre during July. Also it is connected to the story of Robin Hood.
We also have an ice hockey arena.

As for rooms. You can have my student room as long as it is before my contract expires.

And of course the best bit. ME. :D

Last edited:
I live in Reading, which is extremely cheap and easy to get to from London, and I'll be here until the end of June. It has a lovely riverfront area and a good nightlife. But, yeah, it's Reading.

After June I'll be back up in Leeds. It's not as easy to get to but still not a difficult trek. Leeds is a great city for a night out; at one time it boasted the most nightclubs per capita of any place in Europe. GTP_Ingram and I have had quite a few good nights out going to various bars and pubs; Call Lane in particular is a favourite of mine for its varying places. It's a smallish city making it easy to walk pretty much anywhere, and is quite cheap as well. Accommodation is very cheap, and if a £50 hotel room isn't good enough then you can of course stay with me for free.

Other fun activities: Leeds has a number of rather nice parks and green spaces including Temple Newsham (excellent if you like gardens), Roundhay Park (quite big and quiet), and Kirkstall Abbey (old ruins right along the river). Speaking of the river, the waterfront area is a great place to go when the weather is good, as is the city centre known for excellent shopping. Leeds also has the benefit of being close to the beautiful countryside of North Yorkshire. Just a short journey away are such places as Malham Cove.

I live in Reading, which is extremely cheap and easy to get to from London, and I'll be here until the end of June. It has a lovely riverfront area and a good nightlife. But, yeah, it's Reading.

After June I'll be back up in Leeds. It's not as easy to get to but still not a difficult trek. Leeds is a great city for a night out; at one time it boasted the most nightclubs per capita of any place in Europe. GTP_Ingram and I have had quite a few good nights out going to various bars and pubs; Call Lane in particular is a favourite of mine for its varying places. It's a smallish city making it easy to walk pretty much anywhere, and is quite cheap as well. Accommodation is very cheap, and if a £50 hotel room isn't good enough then you can of course stay with me for free.

Other fun activities: Leeds has a number of rather nice parks and green spaces including Temple Newsham (excellent if you like gardens), Roundhay Park (quite big and quiet), and Kirkstall Abbey (old ruins right along the river). Speaking of the river, the waterfront area is a great place to go when the weather is good, as is the city centre known for excellent shopping. Leeds also has the benefit of being close to the beautiful countryside of North Yorkshire. Just a short journey away are such places as Malham Cove.
Leeds is terrible and you know it. :P You will be spending half the day in the damn Lego shop like usual.

Reading on the other hand. I know of many very nice bars and loads of stuff to do in nearby Surrey if you would let me join you.

Last edited:
Do you like beer? How about beer that you don't have to pay for?
....all you have to do is convince me to visit your town for my holidays....

I'm right out of chance there, I can't convince myself to go to Birmingham, let alone someone else.

You had me until line 2 :grumpy:

In other news Australia is way better than all of you guys places...

*sulks off*

You had me until line 2 :grumpy:

In other news Australia is way better than all of you guys places...

*sulks off*

If I had the funds and time for Australia I'd be there in an instant. I think my plan for next year (according to Ms. Shem) is to spend 6 months in Aus or NZ. But that's only a maybe at the moment.

So far I'm liking the choices. Never been to any of the places mentioned so all sound interesting.
The competition has been up'd after I had an offer from a relative I've never met it Dublin, another place I've never been.

In my town, there's beer.

Edit: Hang on, I see the instructions were more complicated than I first thought.

Post in this thread the reason why I should visit your town.
Ok, done that.

Describe some fun activities to join in there
Buying me beer.
Drinking beer.

and add interesting facts.
There's still some beer left.

Pictures welcome.
images.jpg

That's the Dog and Duck.

Last edited:
While I enjoy beer I have to agree with @DG_Silva Birmingham should never be a holiday.
Although if your adventure is based solely on beer a day in the city centre along the way wouldn't be a bad idea.

While I enjoy beer I have to agree with @DG_Silva Birmingham should never be a holiday.
Although if your adventure is based solely on beer a day in the city centre along the way wouldn't be a bad idea.

While I do enjoy drinking beer that isn't my main reason for the trip. I'm keen to spend some time doing outdoors stuff like hiking and camping and big cities make that difficult. If I'm honest my preference is for smaller, more rural towns which are closer to the wilderness.

OK, try this...

Castles:
maxresdefault.jpg

Bays:
jersey1.jpg

Beaches:
St-Brelades-Bay-3.jpg

Them:
surfer-girls-0907-po07.jpg

Dolphins:
c21-Dolphin-Jersey.jpg

Nazi stuff:
10-fortifications.jpg

Big guns:
4505420232_74ee359bd6.jpg

Sand racing:
998464da83ec5dbc3ff8f11e4318df08.jpg

Do you really need anything else? I mean, really!?

:D

That is very tempting. Screw dolphins, you got Nazi stuff and sand racing, not to mention 'them'!

I'm assuming there's beer too?

That is very tempting. Screw dolphins, you got Nazi stuff and sand racing, not to mention 'them'!

I'm assuming there's beer too?
Bloody loads of it! And Jersey cider.

Do you enjoy light drizzle and activities of a small 1970s industrial town?

Other remarkable features of my current location are okay-ish lake scenery near the town centre and the fact it's not that far from Helsinki.

This shouldn't be a problem though:
As we've got loads of those.

I dislike you right now Shem. Got my damn hopes up for nothing.

While I do enjoy drinking beer that isn't my main reason for the trip. I'm keen to spend some time doing outdoors stuff like hiking and camping and big cities make that difficult. If I'm honest my preference is for smaller, more rural towns which are closer to the wilderness.
Ok then Lincoln may be your jam, it just isn't mine.

Loads of historic villages, loads of history and it is small. It is also close to the country if you wanted to go walking although Lincolnshire is quite flat.
Rooms in Lincoln should be cheap. I can't offer you a room though like I can in Nottingham as my parents wouldn't be best pleased. There also many camp sites around the area.

Oh I forgot. We also have what was voted the best chip shop in the East Midlands in Lincoln.

Dayum. Why haven't I seen this before? I mean Portugal has it all. From my village I'm 20min away from the moutains with hundreds of trails. 15min away from the coast line with lots, I mean really lots of trees (every year somewhere on that forest there's always a bit that sets of fire). We have monesteries, castles, museums, giant waves. Nice food and, honestely, the best beer in the world.

Back