Competitive Drifting?

Would you like drifting to become more prevalent in the competitive scene?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Maryland
I have always been a huge fan of Drift Trials in Arcade Mode but I feel like GT is always a step behind in the competitive scene... in GT6 you could make the community events and at the very least compete against friends. Then GTSport comes out and they back tracked and put it back to exclusively single player... There is no leaderboard, and no competition but with yourself and maybe those in the same household. I know Forza has or had at one point in time, Drift Trial Online Racing. Everyone would do a lap or two drifting around the track and ticking up a score. Once the first guy crossed the line everyone has like 1 min to finish. Why has GT never refined this idea and really dove into the Competitive Drifting scene? Personally I’d be satisfied with a Global Leaderboard for Drift Trials to start. A Competitive Drifting, Sport Mode playlist would just be the icing on the cake.

What do you guys think?

(Insert “Who Cares About Drifting” Comment Below)

Hard pass.

Just out of curiosity. Why would oppose a simple addition to a game that could potentially bring in a larger player base? It’s in every game’s interest to appeal to the largest audience within the genre that they can. You wouldn’t have to play the gamemode(s) or even drift a car in game at all. However you would benefit from the larger player base via increased profit for the developers which leads to an increase in content, and higher quality content for current and future GT titles. So while you might not play the mode you could still appreciate the upside it may have on the title. Appreciate the feedback though

The addition of some Drifting orientated events would always be welcome. Even if it was just a simple Drift Trial leaderboard, track specific leader boards for Drift Trials, or simple Drift events like the seasonal events of old. I'd say the later of which could fit quite nicely into a Drifting specific part of Sport Mode, with weekly events like you get with current weekly races. As someone who's always enjoyed following Competitive Drifting as part of the Motorsport I watch, anything of the sort would be nice. As mentioned, it doesn't have to massive, simple events like those in previous games would be great, but anything on top would be welcomed, providing the effort has been put in to do it properly of course.

Just out of curiosity. Why would oppose a simple addition to a game that could potentially bring in a larger player base? It’s in every game’s interest to appeal to the largest audience within the genre that they can. You wouldn’t have to play the gamemode(s) or even drift a car in game at all. However you would benefit from the larger player base via increased profit for the developers which leads to an increase in content, and higher quality content for current and future GT titles. So while you might not play the mode you could still appreciate the upside it may have on the title. Appreciate the feedback though

Exactly, no one is losing out on anything with such a game mode/events being added. Especially as it's not like it has to be added at the expense of other key game features. Ultimately it would have potential to add to the player base and appeal to a bit more of an audience, and if one isn't interested they are not obligated to take part or try Drifting if they don't want to.

Drifting feels off in GTSport for me. I used to spend some time in drift mode on PS3 but this handling, the poor smoke effect, suspension model too stiff. I just can't. The Subaru drift car looks super cool and useless in this game.
Now, I hope GT7 will be a different story and why not a more structured drift mode.

Drifting feels off in GTSport for me. I used to spend some time in drift mode on PS3 but this handling, the poor smoke effect, suspension model too stiff. I just can't. The Subaru drift car looks super cool and useless in this game.
Now, I hope GT7 will be a different story and why not a more structured drift mode.

The smoke was always a complaint of mine as well. The handling, I never noticed anything too off with it though. Either way, I wouldn’t mind a nice drifting overhaul.

Personally I couldnt care less about drift trials as most of the GTP community used to do actual competitions the same as you would in real life. They should just give us more customization to allow for better drifting experience, like adjustable steering angle and whatnot.

Yeah I dont care for it but if PD had a club circuit or two then they could section it off for drifting while reusing it for races up to Group 4. They could even use the top of Mt Panorama as a track.

I liked it in Grid 2 but when I tried it in GT ( can't remember which game) I thought it was embarrassingly half arsed.

Ultimately I trust that PD can model a drift car, but like rally or oval racing, I can't imagine PD doing a proper job of understanding or emulating the discipline

I don't mind drifting in the game as long as it is optional.
If it's required to progress it's a deal breaker for me
I would definitely do the drifting as an enjoyable part of my own completion of the game but I agree it shouldn't be a barrier to reaching the highest level of racing.

Because I don't care for drifting, pretty simply, and I don't buy the idea that it would improve other areas of the game as you suggest, unless you have the data to support it? People into drifting already buy GT and other games, are there really fans out there in huge numbers staying away until specific modes are implemented?

Everything takes time and effort to implement, and I'd rather PD spend that time on improving the already existing racing/AI system before they move onto drifting.

Everything takes time and effort to implement, and I'd rather PD spend that time on improving the already existing racing/AI system before they move onto drifting.

How do you feel about the FIA races? I'm certain the creation of the FIA sanctioned races has robbed us from having any improvements to the AI, and the open lobby system in GT Sport. Kinda concerning the AI hasn't seen much improvements in the GT7 trailer.

How do you feel about the FIA races? I'm certain the creation of the FIA sanctioned races has robbed us from having any improvements to the AI, and the open lobby system in GT Sport. Kinda concerning the AI hasn't seen much improvements in the GT7 trailer.

Well I didn't buy GT Sport and have no interest in online gaming, so that should answer that question.

In terms of being included as a main part of the game, it’s a hard no from me! It should be kept to arcade mode and online lobbies.

In my opinion drifting isn’t a legitimate form of motorsport. Don’t get me wrong it’s impressive to watch and the skills the pro’s have is phenomenal, but (again, my opinion) it goes against what Gran Turismo is all about.

In terms of being included as a main part of the game, it’s a hard no from me! It should be kept to arcade mode and online lobbies.

In my opinion drifting isn’t a legitimate form of motorsport. Don’t get me wrong it’s impressive to watch and the skills the pro’s have is phenomenal, but (again, my opinion) it goes against what Gran Turismo is all about.

I absolutely respect that it's your opinion, because as much as I love it I accept Drifting certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'm just interested, purely out of curiosity, why you feel Drifting is not a legitimate from of Motorsport? It's something I haven't given much though, I must admit, since Motorsport has many different avenues, and felt that Drifting comes under the non-racing section as many other no less legitimate disciplines like Gymkhana/Auto-testing, Motorbike Trials or even Demolition Derbies do.

For me, I've always felt GT was about the car enthusiast more than anything with that additional focus on Motorsport as a whole. With the player picking a car of their choosing to then progress through the ranks, tuning and customising to their desire, achieving whatever goal they want it to. Whether that's for racing, drifting, rallying (later of which sadly has felt more of an afterthought as of GTS) or just driving. But I suppose that's the beauty of such a setup, when done properly. It's different for everyone :cheers:, so hopefully GT7 can capture that again, as GTS has made the right steps quality wise.

Personally I couldnt care less about drift trials as most of the GTP community used to do actual competitions the same as you would in real life. They should just give us more customization to allow for better drifting experience, like adjustable steering angle and whatnot.

Ultimately, I think this is where it stands to be honest. Whilst I never entered any GTP competitions, I like many used to do the same with mates back on GT5/6, organising our own BDC/D1GP esque etc. competitions in online lobbies. It's more just wishful thinking personally, that more than just Drift trial, or the odd Seasonal Event like GT5/6 had, could be added, as a more dedicated setup towards Drifting. That said, I wouldn't be too disappointed if things stayed as they, as far as Drifting and Gran Turismo is concerned. The community is large and imaginative enough to come up with it's own events.

The addition of the "Drift tab" in car settings in GTS was a step in the right direction (though the response is mixed on whether it's been wholly beneficial). Going forward it wouldn't hurt to include more settings like Caster angle, steering angle or general settings for adjusting Ackerman angle.

Last edited:
Because I don't care for drifting, pretty simply, and I don't buy the idea that it would improve other areas of the game as you suggest, unless you have the data to support it? People into drifting already buy GT and other games, are there really fans out there in huge numbers staying away until specific modes are implemented?

I wouldn’t say too many people outright buy the game because of a mode or modes but take myself for example... I’m not a drifter, I’m actually at the highest level of racing in this game. Been A+ forever, on the Top 10 for several World Leaderboards in the Circuit Experience, one of which is a World Record. Eventually you get burnt out just racing and racing the same tracks and cars for years. We all know GT takes ages in between titles so how would having more options in game not bring in more people and keep them interested longer? When people stay interested in a game for longer it brings in more people by nature. If you play a game for 6 months and then move on you are less likely to tell all your friends about it but if you play for 4 years and enjoy everything it has to offer you’re more likely to bring in outsiders. Having more content to stream would do wonders for the game as well because let’s face it... racing games don’t do very well in the YouTube and streaming community, and it’s because people don’t want to watch 20-30 min races with little to no action. Drifting could spice things up in that aspect because it’s quicker and never the same twice. Just my two cents.

People forget that GT is not a Racing Sim. It’s a Driving Sim. Says right on the cover of the game. And you can have the best of both experiences without neglecting one.

I've been wanting drift events in career mode and online for years now. I think Gran Turismo needs it because many people will jump at the chance to do some competitive drifting, especially when there's a reward on offer. We've had drift cars in the past, and we have Dai Yoshihara's Toyota 86 in GT Sport, but they haven't been used to their full potential. We need dedicated drift events.

People forget that GT is not a Racing Sim. It’s a Driving Sim. Says right on the cover of the game. And you can have the best of both experiences without neglecting one.
More like automotive appreciation in general. But some people are just purists and dismiss everything not related to racing, and blocks anything outside them to enter the game, like Scapes. Even the term "driving sim" is used as a derogatory instead that GT isn't the top at simulating motorsports.

I've been wanting drift events in career mode and online for years now. I think Gran Turismo needs it because many people will jump at the chance to do some competitive drifting, especially when there's a reward on offer. We've had drift cars in the past, and we have Dai Yoshihara's Toyota 86 in GT Sport, but they haven't been used to their full potential. We need dedicated drift events.
Currenly only Coffee Break provided drift events.

More like automotive appreciation in general. But some people are just purists and dismiss everything not related to racing, and blocks anything outside them to enter the game, like Scapes. Even the term "driving sim" is used as a derogatory instead that GT isn't the top at simulating motorsports.

Because it's just a marketing tagline. Ever since GT1, the game has been about racing. You don't get anywhere in any of the games without racing. It's a racing game, and always has been.

Because it's just a marketing tagline. Ever since GT1, the game has been about racing. You don't get anywhere in any of the games without racing. It's a racing game, and always has been.
Yes because GT1 has more limited applications to only feature racing as a part of driving, but my point was also the new features in the latest games that revolves around cars but isn't necessarily racing like Photo Mode/Scapes.

The GT7 description also does it; whether you’re a competitive racer, collector, fine-tuning builder, livery designer, photographer or arcade fan – ignite your personal passion for cars with features inspired by the past, present and future of Gran Turismo™.

I'm fine with drifting. I can never say I wouldn't try it if it were a seasonal type event. People should look at video of how drifting isn't just kids in Corollas.

Back