Competitive Racing License

If there was no penalty for rage quitting then you would see races ending with one person on track, see AC online. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve started a race with 16 people and after a lap or two there is only 3 or 4 left. If there was no penalty for disconnects people would simply pull the plug on their modem when they were in a position to lose points. I agree the disconnection penalty is too harsh but it is necessary, otherwise nobody would ever lose points on their license. The gaming of the system would explode if there was no disconnect penalty.

This is all well and good, but it is solely reliant on a stable platform and a stable reality for it to work properly. You can't do one without the other without ****ing your customers off - see the entire thread to see how tetchy this issue is.

I think a more real-world friendly disconnect penalty would be an inability to join races for 30 minutes or something if you're disconnected in a race. Then maybe only a licence penalty if you quit by selecting the option to leave the race.

I don't know what the ratio of rage quitters is verses people who get force disconnected. I know from my pov I always stay to the end even if I'm last. I've been disconnected [by the game] 10 times, maybe more. Never me. Never my system. Never my ISP. Working back up to a D licence has been hard when it got up D before then down to a U for disconnections.

The design smells of people who have only played in a controlled environment - a load of PC's all on the same network in-house. As I say, real-world illiterate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Working back up to a D licence has been hard when it got up D before then down to a U for disconnections

You've said this a few times now, I've not said anything previously thought it was just a mistake in the rant somewhere, as far as I'm aware, disco's have zero effect on safety rating. If your safety rating has gone down to a U then that's because of something else entirely.

This is all well and good, but it is solely reliant on a stable platform and a stable reality for it to work properly. You can't do one without the other without ****ing your customers off - see the entire thread to see how tetchy this issue is.

I think a more real-world friendly disconnect penalty would be an inability to join races for 30 minutes or something if you're disconnected in a race. Then maybe only a licence penalty if you quit by selecting the option to leave the race.

I don't know what the ratio of rage quitters is verses people who get force disconnected. I know from my pov I always stay to the end even if I'm last. I've been disconnected [by the game] 10 times, maybe more. Never me. Never my system. Never my ISP. Working back up to a D licence has been hard when it got up D before then down to a U for disconnections.

The design smells of people who have only played in a controlled environment - a load of PC's all on the same network in-house. As I say, real-world illiterate.
. Unless I’m mistaken, disconnects don’t influence your safety rating, only your skill rating. I get the issue with disconnections caused by the game and not your end, I was only addressing the reason why it’s there in the first place. It’s a necessary component to the system or it all falls down without it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh really? I must've been having a mare are the same time as the disconnect then?

tbf I think it is people with Red ping status that influence disconnects - never remember getting one where everyone was Green for e.g. - and the same Red people tend to do a lot of T-Boning and ramming. I will be making a vid of a compilation someday of all the times I've been hit from behind, then the race director pipes up...

At last, for the first time above 1650
Took me a lot of time, not to mention blood, sweat and tears
upload_2017-10-22_18-52-9.png

You get more points if a race goes for longer right? I finished 2nd out of 7th in a race that went for 1 hour, only a few warnings, and only gained 5 five points, i could've got the same amount of points with the same result in a 5 lap race...

So I ran in an online race, 5 laps at Monza. After the first lap got disconnected and had to take a 41 point deduction on the chin...

That can't be right can it? Went down from B1486 to B1445...that seems a bit harsh.

Then the next race at Hockenheim, 5 laps I won the race against 5 other racers and my rating went up to B1447...only got 2 points.

I'm fine if they leave the disconnect penalties but then I would think there must be some reward for people actually finishing the race. It is going to take a looooong time to get back to 1486.

I for one take pride in my rating and it just demotivates me to take a massive 41 point hit on something that was out of my control...

So the above happened on Thursday night...a 41 point hit due to a disconnection.

So Friday night comes and I enter a 6 lap race at Imola with GT3 cars.

I get pole by over a second and feeling confident for the race though worried I might get taken out at the first corner. Which is exactly what happens. Thankfully I manage to recover quickly and running in 4th. The guy in 3rd...a Fred something something take the liberty to slow down on the home straight for no reason at all. I see this as an opportunity to pass but as I get alongside him he rams me off the road.

I'm down to 7th now. After pitstops by most of the field I'm in 3rd hoping for a top 5 result with 2 laps to go. I need to do my mandatory pit stop on the second to last lap which I do. Coming out of the pits I'm going to rejoin in 4th. As I exit the pits someone comes flying down the straight and as I'm still picking up speed he'll easily be able to overtake me...which is fine.

But instead of just flying by he rams into me at full speed...causing severe damage to my car...leaving me in 7th crawling around the track on the last lap just to finish the race. I can't take a corner at medium speed without spinning out due to damage.

So eventually in 8th I get onto the main straight to finish the race...literally meters from finish the race I get kicked from the session for no reason and have to eat another 37 point hit to my rating.

That is a 78 point reduction in 24 hours...none of it my own fault.

I'm taking a break from Pcars2 for a while. Sorry but it doesn't make any sense to me allow people to kick other racer's from the session causing them to take such a massive hit. So if I'm hosting and as soon as I finish my race I can start kicking people just for fun to play havoc on their license rating....

Hope they patch this as I just completely destroyed my motivation to play online...

FIFA and WWE for me until then...

You get more points if a race goes for longer right? I finished 2nd out of 7th in a race that went for 1 hour, only a few warnings, and only gained 5 five points, i could've got the same amount of points with the same result in a 5 lap race...
I think longer races can affect your safety rating a lot, but I think points are only based on your finishing position.

I get pole by over a second and feeling confident for the race though worried I might get taken out at the first corner. Which is exactly what happens. Thankfully I manage to recover quickly and running in 4th. The guy in 3rd...a Fred something something take the liberty to slow down on the home straight for no reason at all. I see this as an opportunity to pass but as I get alongside him he rams me off the road.

I'm down to 7th now. After pitstops by most of the field I'm in 3rd hoping for a top 5 result with 2 laps to go. I need to do my mandatory pit stop on the second to last lap which I do. Coming out of the pits I'm going to rejoin in 4th. As I exit the pits someone comes flying down the straight and as I'm still picking up speed he'll easily be able to overtake me...which is fine.

But instead of just flying by he rams into me at full speed...causing severe damage to my car...leaving me in 7th crawling around the track on the last lap just to finish the race. I can't take a corner at medium speed without spinning out due to damage.

So eventually in 8th I get onto the main straight to finish the race...literally meters from finish the race I get kicked from the session for no reason and have to eat another 37 point hit to my rating.

I have literally just had a very similar situation occur just now but within 2 races to say im annoyed would be an understatement as i have done 75 races winning over half building a reputation for myself with this being the first time my driver number has dipped below the default 1500 really upsetting knowing i could do nothing to solve other peoples dirty driving. part of my issue is that all of the people that was in the second race were 1500+ but decided to work together to prevent me winning the race by ramming and spinning me out really annoying me and in the process gaining more points for them when they proceeded to go on and win the race and come 2nd whereas i only recovered to 5th

I have literally just had a very similar situation occur just now but within 2 races to say im annoyed would be an understatement as i have done 75 races winning over half building a reputation for myself with this being the first time my driver number has dipped below the default 1500 really upsetting knowing i could do nothing to solve other peoples dirty driving. part of my issue is that all of the people that was in the second race were 1500+ but decided to work together to prevent me winning the race by ramming and spinning me out really annoying me and in the process gaining more points for them when they proceeded to go on and win the race and come 2nd whereas i only recovered to 5th
Not much you can do there, sorry man! I guess what I try to do is avoid races with damage ON/pitstops, unless I know some/most people in the room. If I have to race with damage ON, I try to pick a room that has slower cars, like TC or slower, or I create my own if I have to.

Not much you can do there, sorry man! I guess what I try to do is avoid races with damage ON/pitstops, unless I know some/most people in the room. If I have to race with damage ON, I try to pick a room that has slower cars, like TC or slower, or I create my own if I have to.

It was a touring car race at a track i feel confident around (Snetterton ) and i qualified on pole with damage all on so the first element of the race weekend was fine it was literally just the race that turned out to be the issue. unless its just me being fortunate Out of 70 races i have done maybe 30 or so with damage on and avaoided carnage in lobbies with maybe 7 cars + and finished in the top 50% most of the time it just peeves me off that after 10 hours of being fortunate 1 disconnect and a small lobby of buffoons can just wipe away all of my hard work and reward for actually being a safe good driver in the other 99% of races i have done. the situation has really put me in 2 minds. either to give up till Multiplayer is rebalenced with issues like that being ironed out or Keep plodding away and desperately hope to get my rating back to how it was to prevent being judged by others ad one of the dirty drivers

It was a touring car race at a track i feel confident around (Snetterton ) and i qualified on pole with damage all on so the first element of the race weekend was fine it was literally just the race that turned out to be the issue. unless its just me being fortunate Out of 70 races i have done maybe 30 or so with damage on and avaoided carnage in lobbies with maybe 7 cars + and finished in the top 50% most of the time it just peeves me off that after 10 hours of being fortunate 1 disconnect and a small lobby of buffoons can just wipe away all of my hard work and reward for actually being a safe good driver in the other 99% of races i have done. the situation has really put me in 2 minds. either to give up till Multiplayer is rebalenced with issues like that being ironed out or Keep plodding away and desperately hope to get my rating back to how it was to prevent being judged by others ad one of the dirty drivers
Remember that points are not an indication of safety, so even a low skill/points rating is fine. The way the points are now, I'd say anything above 1500 is quite fast (maybe top 20%?) and anything above 1600 is probably top 5%. Most people I've seen are below 1400. At least that's my view from PC lobbies. I'm not too worried about my points, I've already had dropped 35 points one time when I got taken out and had to retire. Climbing back up slowly and having (mostly) fun doing it. Think I'm back up to 1467 now.

EDIT:
Some encouraging info from one of the mods on the official forums.

“Guys, there will be refinements to the Rating System with the next Patch.. Can't go into Details, but the Devs spotted some Situations where the Code can be handled better...”

Last edited:
Real world example:

I'm a clean racer, I start on the middle of the pack, if it is not in the beginning it is in the first turn, I'm violently pushed against other vehicles or even off the track. After colliding with other vehicles without my fault, I am put out of the race with the car unable to continue. I leave the server upset with what happened, and I'm still penalized for all this !? Explain to me where the sense of this is.

What this will cause is, the player is frustrated with consequential situations of these, to the point of even ceasing to play, and touching the title on the shelf. And it promotes the feeling of never again embarking on such a game.

I think this way of penalizing that was arranged does not work justly, the idea is good, but misapplied. It is necessary to reconcile the whole operation of this system, and not to acclaim that it is a good thing, that it is not. I am in favor of penalties but or well done, or better be stopped. Not compliment at all how things are done at this time. It will certainly create a move away from players, and punish those who have contributed nothing to the incident.

Personally I only see my score coming down because of others who cause accidents, shoot others out of the races and continue to run like nothing, while the injured is forced to abandon everything. And does the system still want me to be on the server after all this? I can only laugh.

“Guys, there will be refinements to the Rating System with the next Patch.. Can't go into Details, but the Devs spotted some Situations where the Code can be handled better...”
Wow, great news 👍

If only there was a way they could have tested the system before it shipped to the masses, so that thousands of people wouldn't waste their God damn time toiling away in GT3 lobbies trying to earn one bloody point at a time only to lose 50 by sometbing out of their control. Yup, there's no way in hell anyone could have ever foreseen an issue with the system as it is.

@IanBell

Who is SMS's most proficient online racer? Which one of your employees has the most number of hours racing random people on public lobbies? I'm asking for this person's name, as I would assume that you would call on your most experienced online racer to provide insight into how an online rating system should work, and I think a little Q&A with said person might be a decent idea at this point.

@IanBell, how many hours do you have racing in public online lobbies? What has been your experience with the licensing system thus far? What were some of your most memorable online races from PC1? What areas of PC1 online do you think most needed improvement for PC2? Have you ever participated in an online league, such as PITS?

Just curious.

So last night I hosted a race with people all from the same country as myself...all green ping etc.

After lap one went into the pits for the mandatory stop...game crashed all the way back to the PS4 menu. Restart the game and saw I'm taking a 38 point hit...

Great.

Over a 100 points I've lost the last week due to stuff out of my control.

Below 1400 now :(

I would assume that you would call on your most experienced online racer to provide insight into how an online rating system should work

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope to god that the people working on the online system are software developers and mathematicians, not people who are 250% confident in their own opinion and think they're experts because they've raced a lot in public lobbies.

See? All we have to do is keep shouting about these things. :)

Yeah keep shouting and changing the game till a point it's just ridiculess and all competetiveness is gone and cablepulling will become a thing,...
But then again that is what this crowd that's just shouting is all about...

@twitcher if you ask Ian for that racers name so he can verify how an awefull experience this online racing is in pC2 I hate to break it to you,... I've had tons of fun online in this game, something I never had in pC1 :embarrassed:

And all those guys with the opinion "I can't increase my safetyrating due to the other drivers not driving safe!"

You're wrong, end of story I'm by far not the fastest nor most competent driver geuss what,... I'm at B after a good 80-90 races (length 10-20minutes)

I'm confident that if you can't get your safety rating up, you are at least partly to blame,...

I hope to god that the people working on the online system are software developers and mathematicians, not people who are 250% confident in their own opinion and think they're experts because they've raced a lot in public lobbies.
I would hope it’s both, because how would a software developer or mathematician know what’s right and wrong with the infinite contact situations that can occur in Motorsport? :).

Yeah keep shouting and changing the game till a point it's just ridiculess and all competetiveness is gone and cablepulling will become a thing,...
But then again that is what this crowd that's just shouting is all about...

@twitcher if you ask Ian for that racers name so he can verify how an awefull experience this online racing is in pC2 I hate to break it to you,... I've had tons of fun online in this game, something I never had in pC1 :embarrassed:

And all those guys with the opinion "I can't increase my safetyrating due to the other drivers not driving safe!"

You're wrong, end of story I'm by far not the fastest nor most competent driver geuss what,... I'm at B after a good 80-90 races (length 10-20minutes)

I'm confident that if you can't get your safety rating up, you are at least partly to blame,...
.....check every one of my posts in this thread, count how many times I talk about safety rating.

Safety rating is not my issue...I've been a A since week 2. Could get S easily, but I've kind of given up on the game for now...plus, it's the Halloween festival in ESO right now, so that's taking up all my gaming hours :lol:

It's the skill rating man, don't know how many times I have to repeat myself :(. Toil away in GT3 lobbies, finishing top 5 nearly every time (I also have a 35% podium rate in a couple hundred race finishes), earning a handful, absolute max of 10 points...usually though, it's less than 5 per race. It can take me several hours of carefully planned gameplay to aquire 50 skill points.

And then you loose them all from a single Disco or Boot, something completely out of your control.

And now instead of being able to join that C1450 VGTA lobby, or U1400 TC lobby, I'm stuck having to go back to another GT3 lobby, probably at Monza :rolleyes:

Also I think you missed my point about SMS employees. Simple question. Do you think anyone from SMS has a copy of PCARS in a PS4 that they then surf the public lobbies with on a regular basis? Who from SMS has the most hours in public lobbies?

The reason I ask these questions is because I actually kind of doubt whether or not anyone outside of the SMS mail room actually plays this game on any kind of consistent and regular basis. Who from SMS has participated in a community organized race league? Let's see a video of an SMS employee turning up in a random GT3 lobby, quali last, finish first...just to see if they know what it takes to pull it off.

Right, because that's what I'm saying. Read my post. I definitely said that I could do a better job based on my online experience. Ffs :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter how good of mathematicians and physicists they have...if none of them have ever participated in an online lobby, they lack practicle experience. It's not that complicated. It's a very common occurance in the engineering industry, that very "smart" and confident people design something that they never actually use themselves, so they completely miss out on the nuances of what using said thing actually entails.

Doesn't matter how good of an engineer you are, if you've never ridden in a passnager car, you can't design and engineer a properly functioning cabin. You simply lack basic practice knowledge.

I never, ever said I don't want math and physics experts designing this game. Not once did I say, or even imply that. YOU did. No, all I'm asking for is some mathematicians and physicists who happen to sink a couple hundred hours a year into racing online in public lobbies. Its not a difficult concept.

Last edited:
.....check every one of my posts in this thread, count how many times I talk about safety rating.

Safety rating is not my issue...I've been a A since week 2. Could get S easily, but I've kind of given up on the game for now...plus, it's the Halloween festival in ESO right now, so that's taking up all my gaming hours :lol:

It's the skill rating man, don't know how many times I have to repeat myself :(. Toil away in GT3 lobbies, finishing top 5 nearly every time (I also have a 35% podium rate in a couple hundred race finishes), earning a handful, absolute max of 10 points...usually though, it's less than 5 per race. It can take me several hours of carefully planned gameplay to aquire 50 skill points.

And then you loose them all from a single Disco or Boot, something completely out of your control.

And now instead of being able to join that C1450 VGTA lobby, or U1400 TC lobby, I'm stuck having to go back to another GT3 lobby, probably at Monza :rolleyes:

Also I think you missed my point about SMS employees. Simple question. Do you think anyone from SMS has a copy of PCARS in a PS4 that they then surf the public lobbies with on a regular basis? Who from SMS has the most hours in public lobbies?

The reason I ask these questions is because I actually kind of doubt whether or not anyone outside of the SMS mail room actually plays this game on any kind of consistent and regular basis. Who from SMS has participated in a community organized race league? Let's see a video of an SMS employee turning up in a random GT3 lobby, quali last, finish first...just to see if they know what it takes to pull it off.

Right, because that's what I'm saying. Read my post. I definitely said that I could do a better job based on my online experience. Ffs :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter how good of mathematicians and physicists they have...if none of them have ever participated in an online lobby, they lack practicle experience. It's not that complicated. It's a very common occurance in the engineering industry, that very "smart" and confident people design something that they never actually use themselves, so they completely miss out on the nuances of what using said thing actually entails.

Doesn't matter how good of an engineer you are, if you've never ridden in a passnager car, you can't design and engineer a properly functioning cabin. You simply lack basic practice knowledge.

I never, ever said I don't want math and physics experts designing this game. Not once did I say, or even imply that. YOU did. No, all I'm asking for is some mathematicians and physicists who happen to sink a couple hundred hours a year into racing online in public lobbies. Its not a difficult concept.

Create your own lobby. Problem solved.

[

Read the full thread. I'm not having this same convo again.
Yeah, I’ve been following this thread for a while and I’ve been reading your same complaints again and again.

Don’t want to read 500 posts again. If memory serves you said it was a lack of time problem.

Yet the solution of setting your own lobby still applies. You complain about you not accessing the lobbies you want, create one and overcome the problem.

Yeah, I’ve been following this thread for a while and I’ve been reading your same complaints again and again.

Don’t want to read 500 posts again. If memory serves you said it was a lack of time problem.

Yet the solution of setting your own lobby still applies. You complain about you not accessing the lobbies you want, create one and overcome the problem.
I have close to 1000 hours in PC1 and over 100 hours in PC2 after the first 3 weeks, most of it online.

What makes you assume I haven't tried that? Man, if only I was as clever as you.

Btw your memory failed you. My issue why I can't get host is that on PC2 I disco from my own lobbies, or no one joins.

Furthermore, if you disco from your own lobby, you still lose anywhere from 30-50 skill points.....which is the root of my issue, since the beginning of this thread (that you've supposedly followed) - the disco/boot penalty is far too severe for the way the game functions in practice.

Your solution of "just host your own lobby" is not well thought out in the context of the issue here. To me, it indicates someone who has rather limited time spent in online lobbies.

It´s not just the disconnects, there´s a lot more going on that should be reflected upon.

Yesterday i hit A1603, first time over 1600.

I couldn´t join a lobby because i was late to the party, but there was a RWB lobby PACKED with aliens from the time trials. Trash, Speeddmon and many other fast guys... they were all 1550ish.

Am i better than those guys? Hell no, i know my limits.

What happens is, like any other system, if you game this system you are going to level up. If you just play for fun, even if you´re freaking fast you´re not gonna hit 2000 with little effort.

Racing with fast buddies means you are not gonna win everytime, so these groups of fast guys get stuck because they are not winning everytime.

If you´re 1600 or above, in most cases you´re gonna be the highest ranked player, meaning you have to win to keep your score.

Let´s say i joined that alien lobby two minutes earlier, let´s say i raced like crazy and finished 3rd out of 12, heck of a result but i would lose points because i didn´t win against lower ranked players.

So if scoring is important you have to start restricting yourself and only joining races that you can win, gaining few points, but not losing anything.

It´s not a rant, just an observation... TBH i don´t know if there´s a solution that´s reasonable for everybody, but it is what it is.

If you want to reach 1700 or 1800 there are things you should absolutely avoid, like joining lobbies close to the end of qualify, lobbies with cars that are easy to go fast, lobbies with fast guys.

Lots of things are still weird at this point because i´m sure some of it wasn´t really considered before the game came out, otherwise they wouldn´t have set 2000 and 4000 for the e-sports qualify events.

Lets see what changes, because what works for real life chess (elo) might not always work for online racing.

I have close to 1000 hours in PC1 and over 100 hours in PC2 after the first 3 weeks, most of it online.

What makes you assume I haven't tried that? Man, if only I was as clever as you.

Btw your memory failed you. My issue why I can't get host is that on PC2 I disco from my own lobbies, or no one joins.

Furthermore, if you disco from your own lobby, you still lose anywhere from 30-50 skill points.....which is the root of my issue, since the beginning of this thread (that you've supposedly followed) - the disco/boot penalty is far too severe for the way the game functions in practice.

Your solution of "just host your own lobby" is not well thought out in the context of the issue here. To me, it indicates someone who has rather limited time spent in online lobbies.
You might have thought that I was criticising you when I was just trying to be helpful.

Most people that had disconnection issues appeared to solve it by hosting lobbies.

Whilst I don’t have as many hours as you in game, I’ve never experienced a disconnect in 40ish online races so far.

It´s not just the disconnects, there´s a lot more going on that should be reflected upon.

Yesterday i hit A1603, first time over 1600.

I couldn´t join a lobby because i was late to the party, but there was a RWB lobby PACKED with aliens from the time trials. Trash, Speeddmon and many other fast guys... they were all 1550ish.

Am i better than those guys? Hell no, i know my limits.

What happens is, like any other system, if you game this system you are going to level up. If you just play for fun, even if you´re freaking fast you´re not gonna hit 2000 with little effort.

Racing with fast buddies means you are not gonna win everytime, so these groups of fast guys get stuck because they are not winning everytime.

If you´re 1600 or above, in most cases you´re gonna be the highest ranked player, meaning you have to win to keep your score.

Let´s say i joined that alien lobby two minutes earlier, let´s say i raced like crazy and finished 3rd out of 12, heck of a result but i would lose points because i didn´t win against lower ranked players.

So if scoring is important you have to start restricting yourself and only joining races that you can win, gaining few points, but not losing anything.

It´s not a rant, just an observation... TBH i don´t know if there´s a solution that´s reasonable for everybody, but it is what it is.

If you want to reach 1700 or 1800 there are things you should absolutely avoid, like joining lobbies close to the end of qualify, lobbies with cars that are easy to go fast, lobbies with fast guys.

Lots of things are still weird at this point because i´m sure some of it wasn´t really considered before the game came out, otherwise they wouldn´t have set 2000 and 4000 for the e-sports qualify events.

Lets see what changes, because what works for real life chess (elo) might not always work for online racing.
Omg so much 👍 👍 👍 to this.

I need to highlight this
Y'think???

You might have thought that I was criticising you when I was just trying to be helpful.

Most people that had disconnection issues appeared to solve it by hosting lobbies.

Whilst I don’t have as many hours as you in game, I’ve never experienced a disconnect in 40ish online races so far.
I appreciate that you were trying to help, but if you've been following the thread like you say, you would know that avenue has been explored, multiple times already. Apologies for snapping, but it gets old after a while.

Back