Complete Guide/Rewards - Lewis Hamilton Time Attack Challenge

• Thread starter mclarenLB
  • 686 comments
Sitrep: finally diamond at Interlagos after 4 hours. I fluked the last corner and beat Lewis by 0.1 secs at the line. My advice for the last turn is to exit it in 2 parts: you want to straigthen out a bit in the middle of the corner (basically cut the apex diagonally) and put in a bit of gas to get some momentum forwards, then turn left a bit again to line up with the exit kerb. This might sound messy but the little bit of extra km/h you get earlier pays dividends up the big hill rather than being smooth and patient on the throttle. Brake balance at -2 for this one. It sounds counterintuitive but the understeer at the infield is compensated by the shorter (and stabler) braking distances.

Next up is Dragon Trail. This one took me a lot shorter than expected (<45 mins). The key is maximising exits from the chicanes, just like Monza, and using all the kerbs available. Also I find you can gain a few tenths if you stay tight exiting the hairpin before the chicane (on my diamond lap I get all squirelly out of here and almost smashed the inside wall, but still gained massively on Lewis who took the wider exit). The chicane timing is crucial - ideally you start lifting and turning in at the middle of the kerb on the outside (just before the overhead gantry). Aim the left apex and that should get you as straight as possible for the right. In Makozi's stream he mentioned the importance of keeping the wheel as straight as possible over the final right kerb, otherwise it'll spit you out wide. If you survive that, the final corner can either be taken tight or double apexed ("V" line). Just make sure you focus on exit again as you can gain a lot on Lewis here. Also for this track the steering wheel FFB settings seems to have a large affect on how stable your car is over the chicane kerbs: with my T-GT I used -2/2/10. Brake balance at 0.

Maggiore isn't my favourite track, so I expected lots of difficulties for this one. Luckily I got diamond after 1.5 hours. The main key for this track is gradual transitions. Whatever you do, whether it's coming on/off brakes, coming on/off throttle and steering HAS to be smooth and progressive. Probably the only place where you can stomp the brake is T1 and the banked hairpin. Everything else, stay smooth. It might feel slower but you'll be faster, trust me. You can also abuse the track limits for this one, especially T4, the uphill esses, banked hairpin apex and the last sector's double right hander apexes. Remember to brake earlier than you think and focus on exit. Hamiton is VERY fast in the last sector due to your car's understeer, so your best bet is nail the lap before then so you have enough gap before this section. The last corner is also quite tricky as there's no obvious brake markers - I use the middle of the blue billboard on the left. Just trail brake and hook your inside tyre over the kerbs Initial D style and accelerate as early as possible. On my diamond lap I was behind coming in, got a good exit and the gap timer gradually went down from +0.012 to +0.006 to +0.002 and crossed the line only -0.003 ahead :scared: :crazy: Damn that was TENSE!!! :lol: I changed brake balance a lot for this: start 0 for T1-4, +5 for the bowl and uphill esses, +1 for banked hairpin and back to +5 for last complex.

Going to Nurb GP next. Been at it for 2 days now and currently +0.3 off. I'm losing so much time in the left-right combo after the arena complex and after Schumacher-S (again, curse the understeer). The tricky thing with this track is your braking point for the next corner is very dependent on how good your exit is from your previous one, and I'm not consistent enough to brake on the ultimate limit everytime, so I end up slowing down too much/too little. Also I've seen the aliens cut the chicane like nothing, but unlike Monza I'm having a lot of trouble here because the high kerbs unsettle the car so much. This one's gonna be as painful as Interlagos...

A question to those who say Lewis' times are made on different physics, are you really sure? Because I don't think so.

What even I with my limited knowledge can tell for sure is, he can't be done this times before the tyre model update, which was implemented in end of July 2018, because this we would see immediately in the first corner. The difference was huge, times got 1-1.5 secs slower. So Lewis' can't have done this before that.
When after July (about the 2018/7/30 it was I think, update 1.23) was a physics update implemented I wonder?

If you take the corners like him, the car behaves like his. What I rather think is, he had the possibility to change the setup, maybe just on a limited part of it. That could for example explain why he is slow on straight line speed in Monza but not elsewhere, a minor change could cause this.

Btw, I diamonded the half of it but just golded the rest after checking Willows. I don't want to have 9 diamonds and spend days and weeks with try & error on Willows tbh.

Lewis set these times sometime last year (probably during winter 2018-2019 or even earlier). The "understeer" physics update is released this year sometime before the rain tracks started coming in.

It's really obvious if you compare the guides from OP, SuperGT, TheKie and even Hizal/Igor/Makozi the pattern where they gain time vs losing time against Lewis. They always lose time in the fast flowing corners and gain time coming out of slow tight corners. This also explains why Willow and Brands are frankly so much harder than everything else, because these tracks do not have slow tight corners where the understeer traction advantage can help you. Whereas on the easy spectrum, Monza and Dragon Trail have lots of chicanes where you can just maul the gas without consequence. Bathurst the uphill section Lewis is very fast (because little weight on front wheels exacerbate understeer) while on the downhill he's slower. Maggiore the last sector uphill left-right, Lewis can flat the right easily, whereas we have to lift on both corners. I could go on but that's just the obvious ones.

Obviously, the top top leaderboard times are still a lot faster than Lewis because these people understand how to exploit the physics and track limits more than Lewis, who drives the game "cleanly" as if it's real life. But for those of us who are not aliens it's just an extra layer of handicap trying to beat a 6x F1 champion :ill:

I don't think I can get the Diamond time on Nurburgring GP. I'm half a second off and I have no clue how to gain that time. The first sector is horrible on a controller, as all the corners are ridiculously tight and require a serious amount precision that I am not capable of. This may be harder to beat than Willow. I'm not sure if I can get the grand prize...

I don't think I can get the Diamond time on Nurburgring GP. I'm half a second off and I have no clue how to gain that time. The first sector is horrible on a controller, as all the corners are ridiculously tight and require a serious amount precision that I am not capable of. This may be harder to beat than Willow. I'm not sure if I can get the grand prize...
You can take advantage of the track limits on the final chicane. Go in as straight of a line as you can through it. If done correctly, you gain a lot of time on LH. This was where I caught up and passed him.

You can take advantage of the track limits on the final chicane. Go in as straight of a line as you can through it. If done correctly, you gain a lot of time on LH. This was where I caught up and passed him.
I am aware of this but I lose too much time in the second sector. By the time I reach it, I'm too far back and cannot beat the time.

Had one lap some hours ago where I was about -0.040 on Lewis going into the final corner but obviously messed it up. Some goddamn corner that is, man. Work of the devil. A bit later on a mid level kind of lap, about two tenths behind Lewis going into the final corner I manage to pretty much nail it and catch up ~0.150, comedic and ridiculous at the same time. I knew though, that with this information I had the lap time in me and it was just a matter of nailing it from start to finish and just a few minutes later, there it was. 1:11.231. (-0.077). What a feeling. Immense.

8574955945094841872_0.jpg

7 out of 10 diamonds, now onto Mount Panorama, Suzuka and Nordschleife.

While I didn't expect this to be a walk in the park, my hatred for Willow Springs has intensified
I finally got a chance to play this after a 3 week holiday and hoping to get diamond on all except Willow relatively quickly
Here is a breakdown of how long it took me to get diamond menu-to-menu based on the share capture video function of the PS4 just to provide my relative difficulty ratings
The ones that took me longer I either had poor technique/lines and/or the wrong brake bias
Dragon Trail Seaside 10:21
Maggiore 9:45
Brands 51:38 - including pause for phone call for a few minutes, Stirlings gave me the most trouble for some reason and I had the wrong line at Surtees
Willow 17:30 (Gold), 49:09 (Improving to 1.11:55x) - still no diamond but won't have any time to try again until late Jan next year
Suzuka 50:07 - I was turning in too early at spoon 2 and degner 2 took a while to figure out
Monza 18:27 - for some reason I kept braking too early at the second chicane
Bathurst 19:16 - everyone seems to rate this harder but I didn't find this one too bad
Interlagos 15:42
Nurb GP 38:45
Nordschleife 36:42 - could've been less if I didn't stuff up the corner before the long straight a couple of times

Ok, going for gold and going for diamond is whole other game :crazy: Started with Monza since that seems to considered the easiest - got it after 90 minutes. Now going for Maggiore - 2 tenths off after an hour.

I think this is the hardest and lengthiest challenge in GT ever. In previous games there were one or two license tests that were considered THE TESTS, like mission 34 in GT4 but that was just one mission - one lap.

Here we have 10 full laps that you must absolutely nail.

I agree, but then again I keep hearing we have a handicap on since he did the laps on a different version. I'd still like to know how much of a handicap we supposedly have (if any?).

Jerome

I agree, but then again I keep hearing we have a handicap on since he did the laps on a different version. I'd still like to know how much of a handicap we supposedly have (if any?).

Jerome
As I managed to get all Diamonds, I'd say it's not a huge handicap. But it's there.

Jerome

Well it's not impossible to test but it would require precise version of the game with the physics used by L.H. Others know more about the physics updates in GTS ( I haven't played GTS in months before this DLC ) and suggest it's all about the added understeer. Therefore considering it's probably pretty hard to find folks with pre-understeer version of the game only a disc version without updates could come close - IF it somehow mimics what Hamilton used.

Anyway - Brands Hatch is the hardest for me right now. I think I driven there for like 5 hours and managed to snag a +0.050 yesterday. :lol: I feel like there's no easy corners on this track.

Also I finally listened to my own advice and went to regular time trial to practice instead of using the challenge - it's a more relaxed and flowing experience than hitting retry after bad corner. 👍

Well it's not impossible to test but it would require precise version of the game with the physics used by L.H. Others know more about the physics updates in GTS ( I haven't played GTS in months before this DLC ) and suggest it's all about the added understeer. Therefore considering it's probably pretty hard to find folks with pre-understeer version of the game only a disc version without updates could come close - IF it somehow mimics what Hamilton used.

Anyway - Brands Hatch is the hardest for me right now. I think I driven there for like 5 hours and managed to snag a +0.050 yesterday. :lol: I feel like there's no easy corners on this track.

Also I finally listened to my own advice and went to regular time trial to practice instead of using the challenge - it's a more relaxed and flowing experience than hitting retry after bad corner. 👍

Hey sorry for asking.

But I dont have the DLC, and have been trying to figure out how to setup the time trail in VR to replicate the DLC.

Could you tell me the detailed settings you use in your time trials.

Is the Car with BOP on or off and are the tires sports hard, anything else ?

Hey sorry for asking.

But I dont have the DLC, and have been trying to figure out how to setup the time trail in VR to replicate the DLC.

Could you tell me the detailed settings you use in your time trials.

Is the Car with BOP on or off and are the tires sports hard, anything else ?

Racing hard tires, no BOP, default car settings. Basically just use the car at it comes out off the "dealership".

Trying to gold all the Hamilton events and it has not been easy so far. Spent a few hours today doing them and only have Dragon Trail, Maggiore and Brands Hatch done. Exactly .250 off gold at Willow Springs and I’m not seeing any improvement. Will give it another go tomorrow.

F40C6DDC-C115-4AA6-82BD-3C63F06A87AB.jpeg

I almost threw my controller when I saw this

Last edited:
I don't know how but I got away with a massive corner cut on Nurburgring GP. I was down by about 0.25 seconds entering the third sector, but after exploiting the track limits in the chicane, I got ahead and stayed there. It was an aggressive strategy that somehow paid off, despite the fact I cut both corners. It was the only way I could've beaten the time.

I don't know how but I got away with a massive corner cut on Nurburgring GP. I was down by about 0.25 seconds entering the third sector, but after exploiting the track limits in the chicane, I got ahead and stayed there. It was an aggressive strategy that somehow paid off, despite the fact I cut both corners. It was the only way I could've beaten the time.
I think we're numerous to have done that :D

Trying to gold all the Hamilton events and it has not been easy so far. Spent a few hours today doing them and only have Dragon Trail, Maggiore and Brands Hatch done. Exactly .250 off gold at Willow Springs and I’m not seeing any improvement. Will give it another go tomorrow.

View attachment 874307

I almost threw my controller when I saw this

"ThAt'S a GrEaT tImE!"

Diamond at Maggiore :)

The last corner is still a mystery... so many laps thrown away there with a decent lead... LH is able to carry incredible entry speed there without understeering off... which is what I did most laps :mad:

Diamond at Maggiore :)

The last corner is still a mystery... so many laps thrown away there with a decent lead... LH is able to carry incredible entry speed there without understeering off... which is what I did most laps :mad:
Nice! Yeah, he really nailed that. How big was your lead and how much did he catch up towards the line? I did that one a while ago but realised the other day that I didn’t save a replay so now I’m thinking I want to redo it and improve my time.

Nice! Yeah, he really nailed that. How big was your lead and how much did he catch up towards the line? I did that one a while ago but realised the other day that I didn’t save a replay so now I’m thinking I want to redo it and improve my time.

Start of the lap was a bit messy... I was only level coming down the hill on the back straight... on a good lap I could be >+0.3 up there. But I nailed the right at the bottom of the hill and picked up 0.2. Then held flat through the left/right to pick up another 0.05. Lost a bit in the 2nd part of the double right, but was still +0.15 coming down to the final corner. Best LH time by less than 0.1.

I'd binned it in the final corner a few times when 0.3 ahead... I thought I'd need at least 0.3 to beat him at one stage :lol:

I'm finally back in the same place as my wheel for a couple of weeks, so time to restart my quest for all golds. After 40 minutes, and many aborted laps, I was able to add Interlargos as my second gold (Monza Has company at last). Next up ... probably Willow Springs.

Still at Brands Hatch :crazy: - not diamond yet but my consistency went way up. Regular +0.200, and few +0.100 laps so I feel good. I'm running brake bias -3 - yes FRONT bias. I like that more than neutral or rear bias as the car is absolutely planted during trail braking. With +3 or 0 the rear getting loose was driving ( pun not intended ) me crazy.

This challenge is really awesome. I hadn't been playing GT Sport a lot lately and it really showed as I got much slower as I was before. This challenge really got me back into GT Sport and actually helped getting me up to speed again, perhaps even making me faster than before. :D I must have spent at least 20 hours on this but after all that time and effort I actually managed to get all diamonds. I actually already beat Lewis his times about 2 weeks ago but didn't get around to actually making a video about it, finally had some time these last few days to put something together. :) Here's all of my diamond laps.

Maybe some of you can use this as a guide on how to abuse track limits as much as possible. :lol: The difference in physics with Lewis his car really forces us having to do this sadly. Taking the same lines as him, you just won't have a chance at beating him. That's the only thing I didn't like about this challenge.

For me the most difficult was actually Bathurst, getting through that mountain section quickly actually turned out to be very difficult for me. Then again, I never really raced much on this track so I didn't have much experience with it. Willow Springs sure was difficult too, especially to get that last corner right. But I felt it was actually more doable than Bathurst. Really like Willow Springs too and was already pretty quick there before this challenge so that probably helped. By far the easiest for me was Nurburgring Nordschleife, I could've done this first try but I actually saved this track as the last one. So I needed gold first, had to slow down after the last corner to let Lewis catch up and overtake me. :lol: I race a lot on that track so that wasn't really a challenge.

Here's how I'd rank all tracks from difficult to easy.

1. Bathurst
2. Willow Springs
3. Brands Hatch
4. Suzuka
5. Lago Maggiore
6. Dragon Trail
7. Nurburgring GP
8. Interlagos
9. Monza
10. Nurburgring Nordschleife

To everyone who's still trying, keep pushing! Never give up! #Blessed

Oh wait, those are Lewis his lines. But yeah just keep trying and you'll get those times eventually. :) Really try to get the most out of those track limits because that's where you can gain most of the time. Also brake as late as you can and try to trail brake into the corners. This really helped me to beat Lewis his times. Also watching some videos of the GT FIA champions/finalists really helped, even though I could get nowhere near the times they're capable of, really amazing to see. Hope we can get some more of these challenges in the future as I really enjoy them.

Back