Oh my god and the prices...

PAGES-0940.jpg
PAGE-1030.jpg
PAGES-0941.jpg
Pages-1032.jpg
Pages-0955.jpg
Pages-1033.jpg
Pages-0956.jpg

IIRC the Commodore 64 retailed for $600 when first introduced in the US, and was down to $200 by the time it was phased out. I never owned a C64 but I did own its successor, the Commodore 128.

My Dad worked for my Uncle at a computer software store and they always had the latest and greatest stuff. I asked my Dad if he recalled what a new 64 cost. He said, "Not really, but cheap. Intro 1980 $299".

I also asked my cousin to ask her dad, who owned the store. Waiting on that reply.

I still can't believe my parents spent this much money on a gaming console for me

0939321673e9924dfdd6e0536f5cd029.jpg

Oh wow, I completely forgot that was once a thing. I played it a couple of times at a local game shop here , and even though it was a fine piece of electronics, they hardly sold and they stopped ordering new ones after the first batch was sold.

I'm going to check if they are still available second hand now.

edit. Nope. only a controller available.

Last edited:
Also was the sega saturn really 900 times more powerful than the previous consoles??? I had one myself..
@MeanElf @torque99

View attachment 654509
Ha, absolutely no idea mate.

My history is that I played proper old arcade games on the pub machines such as Space Invaders, Galaxians and the like, then I dabbled with a few early computer games and ducked out for two decades :embarrassed: while I moved around a helluva lot. I came back to the fold in time for some late PS2 titles and got serious again with the PS3.

Also was the sega saturn really 900 times more powerful than the previous consoles??? I had one myself..

Arguably it may have been 900 times more powerful than an Atari 2600. 2 x 32-bit CPUs at 28 MHz plus several satellite processors vs one 8-bit CPU at 1.1 MHz, 2 MB general purpose RAM plus several megabytes of RAM for various dedicated functions (video RAM, CD buffer storage, etc) vs 128 bytes of RAM, etc.

Where are you getting theses @imported_rik19 Have you got any up in the loft/attic? ;) I have always loved electronics had second hand me downs from my big brother a BBC a ZX Spectrum(Rubber keys) and an Amiga computer, Atari2600 console (bat and ball) Sega Megadrive, Saturn, NES, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox,PS1 >>>>Xbxoone, Ps4 Pro. I still have the atari and dreamcast up in the loft I might dust them off but I really don't know where the others went. I also had a couple of desktop arcade machines with a joystick attached. (showing my age a little).

I did love this but hated tapes that I spent 30mins loading a game/program and found my little brother had recorded a maddonna song in the middle of the tape when I had left the tab off! Good times hey :lol:
cf2d74d89143ac387397f6de9714d493.jpg

It says on the advert 900 times more powerful than existing 16 bit machines. Thinking that must of meant the megadrive etc.

I stand by my statement. :)

Remember that "900 times more powerful" is marketing-speak for "maybe a little bit better".

I did love this but hated tapes that I spent 30mins loading a game/program and found my little brother had recorded a maddonna song in the middle of the tape when I had left the tab off! Good times hey :lol:

I had a TRS-80 Model I with a tape cassette. In addition to that problem which also happened to me (except it wasn't Madonna), the tape interface was notoriously unreliable. It was routine practice to save a program five or six times in hopes that one of the saves would be readable.

I took a look up in the loft and these are the only 2 systems I can see at the moment, I think the old PCs may be at my parents :sly: I forgot how many games I had on DC, these are just a selection. 👍 MSR (before PGR) and 355 Challenge were fun!

DSC_0378a.JPG DSC_0380a.JPG DSC_0382a.JPG DSC_0385a.JPG

Seeing those makes me nostalgic, I had a Amstrad CPC464 when is was a kid. The only thing I didn't like about it were the loading times for the games.

I still can't believe my parents spent this much money on a gaming console for me

0939321673e9924dfdd6e0536f5cd029.jpg

I sold my 3DO exactly two weeks after buying it (but was still playing one for work anyway, before and after).
It was an imported US model. The first models costed 5700 frs, which translates in today money to $1400/1050£/1150€.

We had those when I was in primary school. Playing games from tapes. Good times.
Problem with tapes, is that it was 50% technology, 50% prayers during the looooooooooooooong loading for the thing to actually work.

I still have a working C64 and the Commodore monitor. I gave $99 for the C64 at Kmart. The floppy drive made smoke last time I turned it on, and that fried capacitor smell, so I can't really use the C64 any more without typing a lot of BASIC into it. (That only takes marginally longer than loading programs or games from floppy, by the way!)

The monitor was basically a standard color CRT with composite and S-video inputs, plus monaural sound. Commodore didn't call it S-video, and they didn't use an S-video cable, but that's what it was. I got an extra C64 video cable and changed one of the ends so I could use the monitor with the Hi8 camcorder I had later on.

Back