Conceptions/Misconceptions Over Cars

Along those same lines.....

How should "Porsche" be pronounced? Do you say the 'e' on the end or not?

I've heard it pronounced both ways by hardcore Porsche owners, fanboys, etc.....

Could be more of an German to English language translation thing, maybe a native German could chime in.....

Still, no mater what is discussed and/or concluded here, I'll never get it right :banghead: :D

From Porsche's official YouTube channel:

Always said it that way. Even if I was saying it wrong, it still sounds better than saying Porch I mean Porsh.
images

I originally pronounced "Porsche" with one syllable during my early childhood, but when learning about the 2-syllable pronunciation of it. I started using the latter mainly because I liked how it sounded more. :D

Ok, here's one: Owning a manual version of a car is generally cheaper.

Uh... not if you suck at driving stick - which is most people (at least in the US).

Here's a misconception that really annoys me, and it seems like it hasn't been brought up in this thread. Pony cars and muscle cars are NOT the same things. It grinds my gears when people think these terms are interchangeable. Pony cars are smaller, lighter, use smaller engines, and are more focused on track performance than straight-line speed. For example, the Camaro Z/28, Javelin, Mustang Shelby, and even the Maverick Grabber would count. Muscle cars, however, are generally longer, heavier, use massive engines, and are in fact focused on straight-line speed, such as the Charger, Coronet, Chevelle, and Torino for example.

Some car models even had a pony car as well as a muscle car option. For example, the Boss 302 and Boss 429, or the Camaro Z/28 and SS.

Last edited:
The average Prius driver is actually not the stereotypical twenty-something Sanders-supporting eco-hippie, but rather a generic, nondescript senior citizen. Almost all of the Priuses I see in my area are driven by old folks. There's a higher chance of seeing a "stereotypical Prius owner" driving around in a Subaru Crosstrek, or even a Corolla, than a Prius.

Back