Constant Lag Spiking PC Issue

• Thread starter Thomas2012
  • 35 comments
@Thomas2012 what do you have now? Is it a TP Link TL-WN951N? That's what I had when I had serious stuttering issues due to my wifi, I replaced it with a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I combination wifi and Bluetooth card, it's absolutely perfect but it's PCIe x1 rather than PCI like the old one I had which could be an issue for you, check your motherboard has a spare PCIe slot before you buy one. Any size is fine, x1 is the smallest and you can put it in an x4, 8 or 16 with no problems.

@Thomas2012 what do you have now? Is it a TP Link TL-WN951N? That's what I had when I had serious stuttering issues due to my wifi, I replaced it with a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I combination wifi and Bluetooth card, it's absolutely perfect but it's PCIe x1 rather than PCI like the old one I had which could be an issue for you, check your motherboard has a spare PCIe slot before you buy one. Any size is fine, x1 is the smallest and you can put it in an x4, 8 or 16 with no problems.

I have an ASUS PCE-N15 11n, I'll have to buy a new one for sure as reinstalling did nothing. My motherboard is a ASRock Fatal1ty so I'll have to check the slots for a different one

You could always try out some of the older drivers for your wifi but I'd double check voltages before you do. Afterburner has a good on screen display you can check them with.

Have a look at the CPU voltage as the stutters happen to see if it's constant.

Edit: Did not fix it, maybe I should just buy a different wireless card

Are you on 5ghz? Try shutting down dual band (that might have been how I solved it - or maybe I solved it by going to 5ghz? I cannot remember). Also be skeptical of the router.

I recently discovered my PC was locking up because of the wifi card, so it could be just about anything. A good thing to try would be to run MSI Afterburner to log your CPU, GPU, RAM and disk activity and see what happens when the frames drop. Also frame rate counters only calculate averages so brief problems don't get caught, Afterburner can show you the frame render times which is what you should be looking at.

Even after all this time I'm getting this issue, it must be on and off because I doubt I'd not notice this irritating spikes.

again wifi related, so when I disconnect from the internet all is smooth. I use a Asus PCE N15 wireless card so I tried uninstaling drivers and reinstalling... Nothing. I once again have no clue.

Please PC tech legends, requesting help!

Edit: Finding things I already found nice. I have tried many things, should I just go for a new wireless card?

should I just go for a new wireless card?

If disconnecting from the internet fixes it, I would probably start there myself. They're not expensive and Googling yours does return other people posting with the same problem, and it's out of date now anyway - you could use this opportunity to upgrade to an ac wifi card and router for better wireless speed.

Back