Controller steering fix! Must try!

Hey fellas,

So I was Googling some stuff on Forza's controller steering nuisances, how it takes longer than necessary for the front wheels to turn and/or go to full lock, or how speed sensitive steering prevents you from getting front wheel bite around those tight hairpins.

Well, you're not going to believe how much better the game feels after I adjusted the steering deadzones to:

Inside zero (already was in my case, always has been) and outside....wait for it.... between 80 and 90. I kept mine at 85 first, then 80.

As always keep trigger travel to full for throttle/brake, as in: outside max, and inside to whatever you feel comfortable with. I usually keep all insides to zero, as it allows me to feather the throttle or brake around turns to quickly manipulate the direction of the car. Or use very intricate steering inputs for overtaking and negotiating those long fast bends around say, Silverstone or Lemans.

I was almost taken aback at how much more bite the front tires have now. I can SEE it in the cockpit view, I can feel it around both high speed and low speed turns, you can now better point the nose where it needs to be. And cars will definitely slide more if you're not good with finesse and intricate inputs, since the front wheels bite down more.

You MUST try this. I know this has been a much talked about issue in both FM4 and 5. Even though I'm on 4 only, I know people have felt the same way about controller steering in FM5: slow steering, not enough front wheel bite, car going wide around sharp bends.

Well, you gotta give this a go. Really happy I did a little research on this, I'll try and find the original link and post it here.

Cheers fellas, let me know how this works out for you. And keep steering on SIM for a lively experience!

Edit: Found it!

http://www.reddit.com/r/forza/comments/134caw/improving_controller_steeringthrottlebraking/

Edit #2: While we're on the subject, for all your FM4ers out there, tone down the game's brightness to 35 or preferably 30, to get rid of that high bloom, over-saturated look. Adjust from your TV to compensate. You will notice some black crush, but it's worth it - the colors look much more natural and photo-realistic. The whites don't assault the senses as much!

Last edited:
My tiny brain can't fathom how the Dpad would be analog at least on the One.
I hadn't know about these setting for the controller but they are pretty common for wheels I just checked and the default in FM5 is freaking 20 inside 95 outside that means you are only using 75% of your stick movement to actually streer I've adjusted and will report back in a few.

I'm old school so I use the d-pad for steering :D

Do you know if the d-pad is analogue or if its on/off?

D-pad??? You have got to be shi***** me son! How on earth do you enjoy the game? It's Forza, not Ridge Racer!

My tiny brain can't fathom how the Dpad would be analog at least on the One.
I hadn't know about these setting for the controller but they are pretty common for wheels I just checked and the default in FM5 is freaking 20 inside 95 outside that means you are only using 75% of your stick movement to actually streer I've adjusted and will report back in a few.

Good luck trying out the new settings, you'll love em for sure. Zero inside to have better control when slight adjustments are needed. And 80 or no higher than 85, to allow for sharper turn-in and more front wheel bite around hairpins.

Enjoy!

Sounds like you meant to say you'd expect the d-pad to be analogue on the X1?

Apologies if I'm mistaken :)
No I mean I would think they are not analog so they would be on off. I actually think it would be easy to test real quick in forza using the telemetry so I'm going to try it now.
Ok so when you set the Dpad for steering you lose access to telemetry however I tested using a and b for gas and brake and those buttons are not analog they go from 0% to 100% right away once the game picks them up. In my opinion if these buttons are digital (on-off) then by extension there would be no reason to think that the Dpad is. My hats off to you sir since you are currently 2 seconds a head of me in d class on Alps Festival (for now:P) and I know I could never be that quick with the Dpad.

Good luck trying out the new settings, you'll love em for sure. Zero inside to have better control when slight adjustments are needed. And 80 or no higher than 85, to allow for sharper turn-in and more front wheel bite around hairpins.
Actually they were best when I set them dead zones to 0 and 100 felt more precise to me. But this is something that would also be affected by the age of your controller, if you have an older controller a little bit of deadzone padding can help steering feel.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input gentlemen :) Yeah I'm not to bad with the d-pad, many years of experience :lol:

When I have to use stick on a game where there's no option I don't feel quite so confident

No I mean I would think they are not analog so they would be on off. I actually think it would be easy to test real quick in forza using the telemetry so I'm going to try it now.
Ok so when you set the Dpad for steering you lose access to telemetry however I tested using a and b for gas and brake and those buttons are not analog they go from 0% to 100% right away once the game picks them up. In my opinion if these buttons are digital (on-off) then by extension there would be no reason to think that the Dpad is. My hats off to you sir since you are currently 2 seconds a head of me in d class on Alps Festival (for now:P) and I know I could never be that quick with the Dpad.

Actually they were best when I set them dead zones to 0 and 100 felt more precise to me. But this is something that would also be affected by the age of your controller, if you have an older controller a little bit of deadzone padding can help steering feel.

No I mean it literally results in better and faster turn in and a greater turn angle around both high speed and low speed turns. It's as if all of a sudden you're driver has stronger forearms or the steering wheel glue has come off... now you get to steer faster and steer MORE at the same time! :lol:

Can't believe I didn't experiment with this after more than 3 straight years of playing! :cheers:

No I mean it literally results in better and faster turn in and a greater turn angle around both high speed and low speed turns. It's as if all of a sudden you're driver has stronger forearms or the steering wheel glue has come off... now you get to steer faster and steer MORE at the same time! :lol:

Can't believe I didn't experiment with this after more than 3 straight years of playing! :cheers:

I have to just call bs on this, been playing forza for 10 years here and never seen this myself. I have tried everything reasonable to turn faster laps on forza, including going with some very strange deadzone settings

I have to just call bs on this, been playing forza for 10 years here and never seen this myself. I have tried everything reasonable to turn faster laps on forza, including going with some very strange deadzone settings

You ARE on a controller yes? Are the analog sticks working properly? If yes, you should see a major improvement.

And remember we're not talking faster laps, just faster steering and more freedom with turn angle on front wheels.

If you're a bad driver, then you may need to upgrade your skills. In that case, no range of settings will help you improve lap times.

As for me, it's allowed me to get the car's nose to change direction faster and maintain more grip around the apex.

Too bad didn't work out for you.

Cheers.

Did you just imply that I am a poor driver in forza?
I can't even catch your ridiculous times.

I'm going to call bs on this too, I don't see how lowering the deadzones would result in a better turn in. Me having a higher deadzones resulted in exactly what your talking about, it allows me to have more finesse and because the deadzone is larger it makes it easier to to flow through the turns. Before you imply, I'm no slouch either. No where near @Ialyrn, but still not bad.

I'm going to call bs on this too, I don't see how lowering the deadzones would result in a better turn in. Me having a higher deadzones resulted in exactly what your talking about, it allows me to have more finesse and because the deadzone is larger it makes it easier to to flow through the turns. Before you imply, I'm no slouch either. No where near @Ialyrn, but still not bad.

I chuckle with amusement when members like you look down on other members, insinuating that your opinion is the only one in history that matters, and just because something hasn't worked for you or doesn't make sense to you, the person recommending it HAS to be a complete nut job or a mental institute runaway.

Look here chump, this is a forum where people share useful insights. If my post didn't offer you any insights, tough luck. Your "premiumship" here doesn't give you exclusive rights to call BS on matters you haven't followed through completely.

So, let me reiterate:

A zero steering deadzone on the inside will definitely give you better control, since it requires less analog travel to perform low-steering travel movements like overtaking or hitting the inside curb on a long, fast bend.

Reducing the outside deadzone causes your driver to move from lock to lock much faster. WHY does this help, and WHY did I bother creating this post? Because of Forza's annoying speed sensitive steering. The reduced deadzone (not by a big margin, I recommended not going any lower than 80, even 85 or 90 works wonders) on the outside, causes the virtual wheel to go to full lock faster even though the SSS is still kicking in.

I have instantly started getting more bite from the front wheels on hairpins (Hockenhiem, Suzuka etc.). Cars of all powertrains have noticeably better turn-in.

So please try the settings out before crapping on my thread, okie dokie buddy? *pats back*

I am going to be 100% honest here, the times I have remotely bothered setting in FM5; isn't with me even trying or using the best build for the cars in question. I am just not that competitive any more, and less so within the past year as well; which coincides with me going through hormone replacement therapy. I haven't even touched FM5 in the past couple of months, as I have been having too much fun drifting and racing on Assetto Corsa. Feel free to add me on xbox live though, if you haven't already. I cant remember lol.

I chuckle with amusement when members like you look down on other members, insinuating that your opinion is the only one in history that matters, and just because something hasn't worked for you or doesn't make sense to you, the person recommending it HAS to be a complete nut job or a mental institute runaway.

Look here chump, this is a forum where people share useful insights. If my post didn't offer you any insights, tough luck. Your "premiumship" here doesn't give you exclusive rights to call BS on matters you haven't followed through completely.

So, let me reiterate:

A zero steering deadzone on the inside will definitely give you better control, since it requires less analog travel to perform low-steering travel movements like overtaking or hitting the inside curb on a long, fast bend.

Reducing the outside deadzone causes your driver to move from lock to lock much faster. WHY does this help, and WHY did I bother creating this post? Because of Forza's annoying speed sensitive steering. The reduced deadzone (not by a big margin, I recommended not going any lower than 80, even 85 or 90 works wonders) on the outside, causes the virtual wheel to go to full lock faster even though the SSS is still kicking in.

I have instantly started getting more bite from the front wheels on hairpins (Hockenhiem, Suzuka etc.). Cars of all powertrains have noticeably better turn-in.

So please try the settings out before crapping on my thread, okie dokie buddy? *pats back*

I have gone through all this deadzone stuff in the past multiple times, on different versions of Forza, and it really doesn't help on the competitive end of the spectrum. The vast majority of the people within the top 1000 are using 0/100 for steering deadzone, and that number increases the higher up the leaderboard you go. @Frizbe has already stated they tried this out when you started this thread, and noted that 0/100 felt more precise.

What helps the most on Forza, is physically driving better. By that I mean following the correct line, using the correct breaking points, not carrying too much speed through the corners, and then accelerating out from the apex while properly maintaining and applying throttle. Too many times I see people going through the corners by dive bombing them with far too much speed, and then understeering off. Or trying to correct that by over throttling to bring the back end around, with some even using the handbrake. Often taking out other people along with them in a multiplayer race.

P.S can you please point us to the thread/forum where you came across this new idea of yours, because I feel I have come across it myself.

Whats odd is that you're the only one doing this. I came in posting my opinion, and now here you are, attacking me, because I dont agree with yours. I even explained why I 0/100 works better for me. I called BS because I dont see how restricting your deadzones would make turn in any easier. its just locking sooner on your sticks.

Read first quote. As for me being premium, what in the world does that have to do with this? Its me being a human being that gives me the right to disagree.

Better control for me will be having more room to correct mistakes, not less. What your settings are doing is giving me less access to my analog sticks, something that does not make me better in any way. I dont need faster/restricted movement, because all that is going to do is interrupt me at those times I need to be as precise as possible.

Real life has speed sensitive steering as well.

Honestly, I could give two craps about your settings after your attacks. I called BS because I've already tried all kinds of different settings and I use 0/100 because I found out thats whats best for me because of precision, finesse, and it just feels less jolty in general. It especially works well when you have analog stick extenders.

Last edited:
I am going to be 100% honest here, the times I have remotely bothered setting in FM5; isn't with me even trying or using the best build for the cars in question. I am just not that competitive any more, and less so within the past year as well; which coincides with me going through hormone replacement therapy. I haven't even touched FM5 in the past couple of months, as I have been having too much fun drifting and racing on Assetto Corsa. Feel free to add me on xbox live though, if you haven't already. I cant remember lol.

I have gone through all this deadzone stuff in the past multiple times, on different versions of Forza, and it really doesn't help on the competitive end of the spectrum. The vast majority of the people within the top 1000 are using 0/100 for steering deadzone, and that number increases the higher up the leaderboard you go. @Frizbe has already stated they tried this out when you started this thread, and noted that 0/100 felt more precise.

What helps the most on Forza, is physically driving better. By that I mean following the correct line, using the correct breaking points, not carrying too much speed through the corners, and then accelerating out from the apex while properly maintaining and applying throttle. Too many times I see people going through the corners by dive bombing them with far too much speed, and then understeering off. Or trying to correct that by over throttling to bring the back end around, with some even using the handbrake. Often taking out other people along with them in a multiplayer race.

P.S can you please point us to the thread/forum where you came across this new idea of yours, because I feel I have come across it myself.

Oh well, just wanted to put this out there. It's working out good for me, so I'm sticking to it. Have to test it out on all tracks though, with a variety of cars and tunes.

A lot of cars that understeered for no reason or slow to point to the apex are more responsive. Ah, driving on Nurb GB and Laguna is bliss.

Scroll up to the original post, there's a link.

Maybe the cars feel more responsive and turn in a little more eagerly if you're the type of player to use small joystick tilts. If you already work in cooperation with the speed sensitivity and use the common technique of quick taps and wiggles, I don't think this makes a difference.

Anyway, the physics engine is to blame for the symptoms of "not enough front wheel bite, car going wide around sharp bends." FM4 produces understeer in corner-entry situations where you should oversteer. There's no real fix for your car plowing wide on those tight corners, except to adjust your driving style.

Maybe the cars feel more responsive and turn in a little more eagerly if you're the type of player to use small joystick tilts. If you already work in cooperation with the speed sensitivity and use the common technique of quick taps and wiggles, I don't think this makes a difference.

Anyway, the physics engine is to blame for the symptoms of "not enough front wheel bite, car going wide around sharp bends." FM4 produces understeer in corner-entry situations where you should oversteer. There's no real fix for your car plowing wide on those tight corners, except to adjust your driving style.

Ditto! You nailed it. 👍

And I'm definitely getting a lot of added satisfaction from the game, thanks to discovering that link (start of thread) and trying out the settings for myself. I do the former like you said: minor stick movements and holding it there as opposed to wiggles and quick taps (I think 80% of Youtube vids I've seen of gamers playing Forza with a controller use the tapping method cos' I can hear it clearly).

"If you already work in cooperation with the speed sensitivity and use the common technique of quick taps and wiggles, I don't think this makes a difference."

^^ Correct; these settings will only help if you practice uber-finesse and intricate inputs with the analog stick. I was just amazed how it helped turn-in and front wheel bite, so a share was in order.

"Anyway, the physics engine is to blame for the symptoms of "not enough front wheel bite, car going wide around sharp bends." FM4 produces understeer in corner-entry situations where you should oversteer. There's no real fix for your car plowing wide on those tight corners, except to adjust your driving style"

^^ Correct again; when I really started getting into FH, the front wheel grip felt quite right to me, along with suspension feedback, particularly how it reacts when you go over bumps, or how your car bounces back when you catch big air.

I wonder if this corner-entry understeer where your car should oversteer is also present in FM5. Probably is.

But I've a question: if you use a steering wheel with FM4, do cars still understeer in low speed corners when they should oversteer? I'm curious since with a wheel, you get to turn more and there's no speed sensitive steering or controller aids at play.

What say?

At higher speeds, there are other ways you should be able to provoke oversteer without the extra steering lock. But a wheel could make a difference in some low-speed cases, such as a FWD/AWD with a front LSD that has some bite to it.

you can still access the leaderboards and use rivals on fm4 with a free live silver account , just so that you know.

What LSD settings do you prefer on your FWD and AWD cars?

Ain't got no gamer tag; don't do Xbox Live.
On my cars, the Acceleration setting on front and/or rear differentials usually end up from 15-30%, it really depends on how much power the car is making. With RWD it will grab a bit more when you floor it out of a turn, and with FWD it'll eliminate some understeer under power.

The deceleration is different for the drivetrains though. With FWD, I usually slap it around 70-80% so that way the lift off oversteer isn't as dramatic

you can still access the leaderboards and use rivals on fm4 with a free live silver account , just so that you know.

Cool.. but I don't do Live at all.

If/when I get me a PS4 or X1, I'll get into MP for sure. Got a 4 MB connection, which I'm told is good enough for gaming!

On my cars, the Acceleration setting on front and/or rear differentials usually end up from 15-30%, it really depends on how much power the car is making. With RWD it will grab a bit more when you floor it out of a turn, and with FWD it'll eliminate some understeer under power.

The deceleration is different for the drivetrains though. With FWD, I usually slap it around 70-80% so that way the lift off oversteer isn't as dramatic

Okay, let's assume all cars are fairly powerful.. what decel settings do you prefer on FWD and AWD to induce more off-throttle oversteer? For some reason, I always keep the accel/decel exactly the same, although I should be experimenting a whole lot more.

Cool.. but I don't do Live at all.

If/when I get me a PS4 or X1, I'll get into MP for sure. Got a 4 MB connection, which I'm told is good enough for gaming!

Okay, let's assume all cars are fairly powerful.. what decel settings do you prefer on FWD and AWD to induce more off-throttle oversteer? For some reason, I always keep the accel/decel exactly the same, although I should be experimenting a whole lot more.
If its off-throttle then it wouldn't be the LSD that would make any difference. That would lend more to suspension set up.

After all suspension tweaks, how can the LSD further influence more oversteer? I'm sure it can.
It can, but like I said, if its offthrottle oversteer you're looking for, that would be your suspension set up that you need to change.

FWD with a low accel setting will tend to turn in more and have less of the typical FWD Understeer, on throttle. If you make the Decel setting pretty low it'll have a more violent lift-off oversteer, which generally isnt the best as you'd end up losing time with all the loss of grip. I use a high decel setting to try to eliminate as much lift-off oversteer as I can, and then tune my suspension according to that.

Hey fellas,
Inside zero (already was in my case, always has been) and outside....wait for it.... between 80 and 90. I kept mine at 85 first, then 80.

I don't like to resurrect a super old thread, but the horrible understeer due to speed/friction sensitive steering is still a problem in FM7. Contrary to what I would have thought, lowering the outside deadzone did definitely help my cars turn into tight corners better. It's really stupid that they force speed/friction sensitive steering even with all assists off. PC2 is a better driving game, but FM7 has all the fun cars and cool mods!

Back