Convertible cars

• Thread starter motortrend
  • 50 comments
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
motortrend
Do you think we will be able to control the top from opening or closing or do you think it will be open for some races and closed for others? Do you care to have control over a convertible top? Do you think that having the top down in the game will affect aerodynamics? I made this thread to discuss convertible cars and how they will be in the game. What I want is the tops to be well modeled and I don't care if we don't see animations or have any control over them as long as cars can be driven with the top up or down.

I'd probably not be excited if you could. It wasn't much when you could operate the top in Midnight Club LA.

When taking pictures of your car, it would be cool to be able to take the top off, but for races? considering a lot of cars you have to be still or going very slowly when the roof is getting put down, it would be pretty pointless to be able to change during a race. However deciding in your garage whether you want it to be up or not during races would be pretty cool, but i think the performance should change respectively :)

In GT4 the top was down on some/most cars in practice races. Never for actual events

GT Mode Practice it was usually down, Arcade mode, you had the choice, you could race time trial and head to head against (1)AI with the top down but not single player (vs 5) with the top down.

I would liked to have the control over the top on all convertibels and targa cars, when I select the car, but not during the race...

Sorry my english

Last edited:
Yeah, it wouldn't make much sense to open/close the top during races.
Besides, there are too few buttons on the DS3 already.
Just make it an option when selecting the car from the garage.

I don't care if the top is up or down. I'll play the game to race which is what it is, a racing game. Not cruise around with my arm hanging out the door with the top down and wind blowing through my hair.

I don't care if the top is up or down. I'll play the game to race which is what it is, a racing game. Not cruise around with my arm hanging out the door with the top down and wind blowing through my hair.

Don't forget the Cigarette in the mouth and the loud music with the shades :dopey:

Convertibles are not sometimes the best, because of that
folding roof in the back.Ok, sometimes thay might look awsome,
but... Its just style over substance.

I'd like to know what happens if your driving your convertible on, oh lets say Circuit D La Sarthe and all of a sudden it starts raining :dunce:

Either rain will be set on some circuits so convertibles have their tops on, or convertibles won't be allowed to race on circuits featuring rain or what I said above. It'll start raining when your driving around with no roof

Should def be able to drive with the roof down, the Ferrari California in GT5P felt like a convertible because cockpit cam you could see the sky and out of the car better. In Forza it had the roof on and was nothing like the same experience. If I have a supercar convertible like the R8 convertible I don't want it to feel like i'm driving the coupe.

Convertables cars in my opinion they are not for racing... They are heavier than cars with roof, usually understeer or oversteer due to lack of roof or with worse aerodynamics. It would be a nice addon to the game, but only for premium cars. I will don't endure the absence of the dashboard in standard cars. Useing the roof material would be funny because it should wave on the wind, except that the car would have a hard folding roof. Then yes. Mounting a safety cage to race in that car would be contrary to the purpose, I think.

IMO convertible cars in games like Granturismo just miss the sole purpose of having one. The wind in your hair, so unless you put a fan in front of you when the top is down. The top should just stay up :)

I remember reading in GT4 the convertibles could only have the top down with one or two cars on the track because it was too much to render the driver and more than one other car.

I would like to have the option to put it up or down before the race.

You guys saying convertibles aren't for racing are playing the wrong game. There have always been lots of cars in GT games that don't exactly belong on a racetrack. That's one of the reasons I like GT so much.

Do not say, that convertibles are not for racing, because the most racing cars before the 70s had no roofs!

Convertables cars in my opinion they are not for racing... They are heavier than cars with roof, usually understeer or oversteer due to lack of roof or with worse aerodynamics. It would be a nice addon to the game, but only for premium cars. I will don't endure the absence of the dashboard in standard cars. Useing the roof material would be funny because it should wave on the wind, except that the car would have a hard folding roof. Then yes. Mounting a safety cage to race in that car would be contrary to the purpose, I think.

True, but I've never seen a 427 Shelby Cobra with a solid roof.

I really love that the convertible cars are roofless in the garage and the dealership in GT5P. It really adds character.

Do not say, that convertibles are not for racing, because the most racing cars before the 70s had no roofs!

True, but I've never seen a 427 Shelby Cobra with a solid roof.

Yes, and when it rained, you got wet! :P
Convertibles are not the same as open-top cars. ;)

Also, I watched an episode of Best Motoring International where a slew of convertibles were tested around Tsukuba, and all of them were faster with the top down. :crazy:

I hope you can choose top up or down in the garage or the pop up menu before a race.

I like convertables. The Art Morrison vette in GT5P is awesome in cockpit view.

Latest Posts

Back