Convince me to get an iRacing membership

S30Zenzow
If I become a member, and then for some reason I decide not to renew the membership, and some time later I decide to renew it, can it be done?

Yes. Also any content you may buy(cars/tracks) you get back also. No need to re-buy things, just membership.

S30Zenzow
And I'm concerned that I won't enjoy it very much because I'm not a very fast driver and I may not be competitive. I heard that there is a system that matches fast people with fast people and slow people with slow people. Is it true?

Yes, but I'll explain. May be a bit confusing since you're not familiar to the iRating. All races are split up by your iRating. Lets say the field size is 12 cars and 48 cars register for the race. The races will be split into 4 separate races of 12 cars. This means you'll have a closer race in terms of skill level. Now if only 12 register for the race there will be just one split. This could mean that the skill level from first to last place may be a large difference. Hope this makes sense. iRating is based off of the finishing position in each race. Obviously finishing higher will most likely get you positive iRating and finishing lower will get you negative iRating. iRating is not quite that simple, but we'll leave the explanation as is to prevent confusion.

Best advice I can give is to try it out. Preferably for 2 or 3 months. It takes some time to understand what is going on and how it all works. If you decide you like it then you can continue your membership or if not just don't renew. If you decide to try it out, stick around the iRacing forum here and ask any questions for anything you may not understand.

Hope this was helpful and maybe we'll see ya on the track.👍

Last edited:
I really want to become a member of iRacing, but I have a couple of doubts about it:

If I become a member, and then for some reason I decide not to renew the membership, and some time later I decide to renew it, can it be done?

And I'm concerned that I won't enjoy it very much because I'm not a very fast driver and I may not be competitive. I heard that there is a system that matches fast people with fast people and slow people with slow people. Is it true?

I had that same concern. Usually if you just focus on driving clean you'll hit top half of the split. Add a little bit of speed you can even hit top 5 -> podium. Other day at Grand Am-Indy I just focused purely on driving clean. I let the faster guys pass me and still earned easy Irating & SR

Also, you'll find in other recurring seasons you'll often start where you left off, etc. Take Infineon track. When I first saw it at Grand Am I never could get into the Top 5. A few weeks later I saw the track popup at Prototype series and did much better there.

Thanks guys, you were really helpful. Now that I know a little more about iRacing, I bought the 3 months for the price of one to try it out. I'm updating at the moment. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Surely it's not hard to be convinced to buy a $12, 3 month membership!!!

Try convincing yourself to spend $1300 on a brand new PC just so you can play iRacing :lol:

It's all downhill from there. You start with a simple setup, and then you start browsing the iRacing Hardware forums. Then you "realize" you need (want) a dedicated cockpit, a button box, three monitors, a more powerful computer, an upgraded wheel, better pedals, tactile feedback, a small monitor for running iSpeed, SLI-Pro, etc, etc. By the time you are done, you have spent $5k easy not even including cars and tracks in iRacing.

Of course you don't *need* any of that stuff to enjoy iRacing. There are lots of fast guys that are using a simple Logitech DFGT with stock pedals, a single monitor, a basic computer, and a keyboard. It's just once you start caring about "immersion" and convenience is when you start wanting all that other stuff.

Surely it's not hard to be convinced to buy a $12, 3 month membership!!!

Try convincing yourself to spend $1300 on a brand new PC just so you can play iRacing :lol:

If you wait for sales (like boxing day), you can likely build a good PC for much less than $1300. I just built one with an i7-2600k and a GTX 560Ti for under $900 (not including a case).

I did play iRacing on my laptop for a few weeks before deciding to build it though. Runs iRacing on one 1080p screen with high detail so I'm happy. :)

If you wait for sales (like boxing day), you can likely build a good PC for much less than $1300. I just built one with an i7-2600k and a GTX 560Ti for under $900 (not including a case).

I did play iRacing on my laptop for a few weeks before deciding to build it though. Runs iRacing on one 1080p screen with high detail so I'm happy. :)

Yea I wasn't keen on building my own one, so I bought one online for around $1300(NZD) with everything I needed including windows 7, 22" monitor etc etc with a quad core cpu and 6770 video card.

I'm sure I could have done it cheaper but i'm happy with my system.

I reckon you haven't regretted it for a minute though ah ? :sly:

I too spent a bit last year (will keep figure to myself :lol:) on sim racing equipment, but it has been worth every cent :) - the shopping list for this year is already pretty big too now :ouch:

👍

:cheers:

Graphics are not something most people are concerned with in iRacing.

Granted, the game still looks great, but so far the game hasn't concentrated on the newest graphical tricks to give it an almost surreal look like many games have today.

How does iracing graphics compare to f1 2011 codemaster? And gameplay?

I think graphics from iRacing are simpler, but prettier. And the gameplay is uncomparable. iRacing is much more realistic and responsive IMO.

I bought iRacing and i'm loving it. I will post my name on the list of GTP iRacing users directory as soon as they change my username. My iracing username is shown as my mother's username, as I used her paypal account to pay for the membership, lol.

Im also considering getting this, will my Acer Aspire laptop be good enough to run it?

Edit: Just checked on the website and i do :D

Last edited:
Graphics are not something most people are concerned with in iRacing.

Granted, the game still looks great, but so far the game hasn't concentrated on the newest graphical tricks to give it an almost surreal look like many games have today.

iRacing's graphics blow away GT5 or Forza 4's graphics. I find myself going back to the consoles less and less each day. I have a real good graphics card but I'm sure even a mid range card will look better then the consoles.

few questions, i only have macs in the house and they arent as new as current computers. not looking to buy a new computer but how would iracing work on these:

1. imac, 27" late 2009 model. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP576
2. macbook pro 13" 2011 model

I will be hooking these up to a 32" tv.

iRacing's graphics blow away GT5 or Forza 4's graphics. I find myself going back to the consoles less and less each day. I have a real good graphics card but I'm sure even a mid range card will look better then the consoles.

I agree. Overall, iRacings graphics surpass GT5's in many ways. At first glance iRacing doesn't look as nice as GT5 simply because iRacing lacks HDR lighting.

I agree. Overall, iRacings graphics surpass GT5's in many ways. At first glance iRacing doesn't look as nice as GT5 simply because iRacing lacks HDR lighting.

I actually like that aspect. HDR is overdone these days. In iRacing you can see the blue sky and the clouds. It's nice.

S30Zenzow
I think graphics from iRacing are simpler, but prettier. And the gameplay is uncomparable. iRacing is much more realistic and responsive IMO.

I bought iRacing and i'm loving it. I will post my name on the list of GTP iRacing users directory as soon as they change my username. My iracing username is shown as my mother's username, as I used her paypal account to pay for the membership, lol.

How fast is your mum?

I usually spend 2-4hrs per week playing GT5. Can I spend that amount of time on iRacing and still have fun? Can I be competitive in the lower classes with that amount of time spent? I race in one league in GT5. When I started in the league a few months ago I finished last most of the time. I'm now in top half with some podium finishes. Can I expect similar results in lower level iRacing with my 2-4hr/wk commitment.

I usually spend 2-4hrs per week playing GT5.

Good luck trying to limit yourself to 2-4hrs per week! :)

The answer is, you will get faster over time, but don't get frustrated when you look at the gap to the fastest guys. Some guys spend ridiculous amounts of time on there and there is simply no way to compete with them.

But you will definitely find people to battle with, no matter how fast or slow you are. If you are decent on GT5, then you have the talent to be decent at iRacing.

^^^^This. Raced the mazda a few times at LR today and had great battles being in the back to middle of the pack. I just started myself and am having a hard time keeping it to a few hours a day. I find that being as competitive as I am that I have to slow down and focus on the line and forget about the time and trying to get P1 all together, just ain't gonna happen yet. With that being said I am still enjoying the heck out of iRacing.

I usually spend 2-4hrs per week playing GT5. Can I spend that amount of time on iRacing and still have fun? Can I be competitive in the lower classes with that amount of time spent? I race in one league in GT5. When I started in the league a few months ago I finished last most of the time. I'm now in top half with some podium finishes. Can I expect similar results in lower level iRacing with my 2-4hr/wk commitment.

You need at least almost an hour and a half each time you sit down with iracing if you want to compete, at least I do. I get on, then go and run about 15 minutes of practice to get warmed up. Then the race lasts about 50 minutes with practice and everything at the beginning of it. If it's a track I'm not really familiar with, then it's a few hours of practice time over a couple of days before I race. I haven't raced in about 2 months because of the time it takes, and that stupid MW3 that came out. Once you do get use to how everything runs though, and start getting better at more tracks then the time will get lower that each session takes.

In iracing you just can't go into a race and try and learn a track. If you want to be in the top half constantly, you need to be able to go out and run 25 laps without running off the track at all, or making any major errors and be pushing the car fairly hard the entire time. It's an entirely different skill level of racers on there then any game I have played, and I have only raced as high as D class, in the skip barber series. It is by far the most competitive game made on any given night. Other games you might have a night where you come across good players some, but iracing has someone as good or better then you in almost every race.

I don't think what Bevo is saying is necessarily true. You need to take time to learn tracks before a race, but you can do that in short sessions. Once you know a track, it's fine to jump into a race. Lower level races tend to be less that half an hour of actual racing.

I'd say that if you had 3 hours a week to spend you could see good results from an hour and a half learning that week's track, and an hour and a half racing. Skill level will depend on where you end up of course, but if you race smart you should be able to finish mid pack.

It might take a long time to learn all the tracks and such at this rate, but you'd get there slowly and be having fun while you did it.

Also, the way the points system works, you only have to run one race per week in each series you participate in. Depending on the series you can even skip a certain number of weeks completely and not hurt your chance of placing well in the championship. So practice that track for 3 hours, qualify, and then run one race. If you have a bad race, run another one, iRacing will only count the better of the two races towards your points.

But initially, as a rookie you want to run in as many races as possible to advance your safety rating. Stay back from everyone else, especially turn 1 at the start, and let them all crash out while you take a nice slow and consistent pace. You have to drive much differently in iRacing than you do in GT5, so start out slow and you'll be surprised how quickly you get up to speed and how well you place just by letting others crash out. Note: this strategy rarely applies once you get into the B, A, and Pro licenses, you have to be running fast and consistent laps then.

Last edited:
Good luck trying to limit yourself to 2-4hrs per week! :)

The answer is, you will get faster over time, but don't get frustrated when you look at the gap to the fastest guys. Some guys spend ridiculous amounts of time on there and there is simply no way to compete with them.

But you will definitely find people to battle with, no matter how fast or slow you are. If you are decent on GT5, then you have the talent to be decent at iRacing.

well said!

The iRacing service automatically keeps track of your performance through what is called 'irating'

from an old FAQ
"As a Rookie you will not be able to see your iRating, but it is still being calculated. Your iRating groups you into races with similarly skilled drivers. Usually, if you finish in the top half of the field you will gain iRating and if you finish in the bottom half you will lose iRating."

so over time you will find yourself in races with people of similar iRating. It is not perfect system, but it works well.

But initially, as a rookie you want to run in as many races as possible to advance your safety rating. Stay back from everyone else, especially turn 1 at the start, and let them all crash out while you take a nice slow and consistent pace. You have to drive much differently in iRacing than you do in GT5, so start out slow and you'll be surprised how quickly you get up to speed and how well you place just by letting others crash out. Note: this strategy rarely applies once you get into the B, A, and Pro licenses, you have to be running fast and consistent laps then.

What he said.
I have started to begin from the pits, this way I don't get crashed into when I try to avoid other cars in Turn 1. After turn 2-3, I'm back up in 6th place and by driving safe, but consistent, I usually finish in top 3.

Imari
I don't think what Bevo is saying is necessarily true. You need to take time to learn tracks before a race, but you can do that in short sessions. Once you know a track, it's fine to jump into a race. Lower level races tend to be less that half an hour of actual racing.

I'd say that if you had 3 hours a week to spend you could see good results from an hour and a half learning that week's track, and an hour and a half racing. Skill level will depend on where you end up of course, but if you race smart you should be able to finish mid pack.

It might take a long time to learn all the tracks and such at this rate, but you'd get there slowly and be having fun while you did it.

Your right. I didn't mean to say he couldn't play with just a few hours a week or have fun. To be in the top half of his division though would be really hard only running one race a week. I'm not the greatest but I was doing decent in the skip barber series and I was getting at least one race day in to compete. Each time it switched tracks it would take me 2 or 3 days to even feel comfortable enough to run a race. I was just sayin that to be competitive in iracing isn't the same as any other racing game. Everyone is out to win in iracing and everyone puts in the practice laps to do their best. Its by far more of a hobby then a game. It's just like the Rc cars I race. You can tell who gets in track time on non race days and who doesn't. In iracing you can't expect to run 10 practice laps on a new track and be able to compete.

Your right. I didn't mean to say he couldn't play with just a few hours a week or have fun. To be in the top half of his division though would be really hard only running one race a week. I'm not the greatest but I was doing decent in the skip barber series and I was getting at least one race day in to compete. Each time it switched tracks it would take me 2 or 3 days to even feel comfortable enough to run a race. I was just sayin that to be competitive in iracing isn't the same as any other racing game. Everyone is out to win in iracing and everyone puts in the practice laps to do their best. Its by far more of a hobby then a game. It's just like the Rc cars I race. You can tell who gets in track time on non race days and who doesn't. In iracing you can't expect to run 10 practice laps on a new track and be able to compete.

Do the 12 week series repeat the same tracks each time? I'm thinking that as I advance I could redo a series 2 or 3 times to get competitive. The 2nd (or even) third time through I'd have some knowledge of the tracks from the previous series and push harder.

Also I asked this question in another thread, but didn't get an answer yet. I've tried to learn about the iRacing series, safety rating, rules, etc but it seems that most of the links direct me to iRacing.com member pages. Are there any places where you can learn that aren't for members only

well they give you a whole week to learn a track. Community often votes on what tracks may show up next series. So to be specific, a 12 week series may have the same tracks twice (edit- what I mean is you'll visit 12 different tracks during a season, then next season most of the tracks are the same just different order). But after that community votes. most tracks, the popular or 'staple' ones, remain the same. Others get cut. But still I'd say bout 80% tracks for most series stay the exact same.

Also, rookie series always repeat the same tracks so you have forever+++ to master those

I qualified second last week in the MX-5 at Limerock and I slowed in turn one in the race, the leader had the inside and I slowed because he did. Sure enough some ram rod plowed into us and took all three of us out. I have 2 top 5's in five races, two races I should have won I was taken out by inexperienced racers trying to pass where they had no business trying to pass. :) Those two races my incidents per race skyrocketed because of the inexperienced racers in them.

I can move out of Rookie almost any time now but there are a lot of good racers in Rookie, it's the bad drivers who kind of take the enjoyment out of it. Also I think it's good experience to stay in Rookie for a little while to learn, especially for the people that haven't had much experience Sim racing.

Back