Cool Wall: 1937 Mercedes-Benz Formula Racing Car (W125)

• Thread starter Snikle
  • 4 comments

1937 Mercedes-Benz Formula Racing Car (W125)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
United States
Poll 1461: 1937 Mercedes-Benz Formula Racing Car (W125) nominated by @MDDeGrande
thumb-1920-265031.jpg

Racing Class: Grand Prix
Engine: 5.6L Supercharged I8
Power: 560-640 hp
Torque: 632 lb-ft
Weight: 750 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Additional Information: Most powerful road-racing car until the 1960s, most powerful Grand Prix/F1 racer until the 1980s
1280px-Daimle-Benz_AG%2C_1937.JPG

LangH-MB-W125-1977.jpg

k2_items_src_26592557cec344d5b5b242a1353cc260.jpg

1937_MercedesBenz_W1254.jpg

Mercedes-Benz_W125_Stuttgart.jpg

As if there was any question, this car is an absolute SZ monster. 600 horsepower in the 1930s is insane, I can't imagine what driving this thing is like. Other than terrifying, that is. Especially once you consider how much they're worth today.

No fancy technology, no sophisticated driver aids; oh... and don't flip these over. Almost any racing car before 1950 surely is commendable. More so how the drivers of old piloted these things. Considering how this continued Mercedes-Benz's decades of racing excellence, anything less than Sub-Zero is disrespect. So that's my call- Sub-Zero.

One of the scariest, fastest and effective deathtraps ever
I could only imagine how scary it would be to drive one of those in a wet-soaked city course.
SZ

I think the highest I'd ever go with these old Grand Prix cars is a cool. Obviously they're very historic and an important part in the development of modern racing cars, but they were ridiculously unsafe, especially around older racing venues with no runoff and trees lining the course.

Personally I think people glorify the dangerousness of early motorsports a little too much sometimes. Yes the drivers back then were very brave and skilled, but it was also incredibly sad and tragic if I'm honest. Nobody should ever have to die for participating in a sporting event.

I guess they're called death bathtubs for a reason, so cool but no higher.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back