Poll 1477: 1969-1970 Adams Probe 16 nominated by @Cristobal1234
probe.jpg

Body Style:
1-Door Coupe
Engine: 1798 cc B-Series pushrod Straight-4
Power: 100 HP (estimated) / 5500 rpm
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid engine, Rear wheel drive
Additional Information: The M-505 Adams Brothers Probe 16 is a car, designed by former Marcos cars designers Dennis and Peter Adams, (Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, England) in 1969 as 'an investigation into extremes of styling'. It is powered by a mid-mounted tuned Austin 1800 engine and is 34 inches (86 cm) in height. It has 10" wheels on the front and 13" wheels on the back. Entry is via a sliding glass roof.

Only three were ever produced. The first - AB/2, license plate MJO 145H – was sold to American songwriter Jimmy Webb. The second - AB/3, license plate PWV 222H - to Cream bassist Jack Bruce, who then gave it to co-band member of Bruce & Laing, Corky Laing as a birthday gift. The third - AB/4, had the license plate JFB 220H - was owned originally by Robin Gibbons of England. All three cars are still in existence today with different owners. This car appeared in the movie A Clockwork Orange (1971).
a2_adam_probe16.jpg

z-DLEDMV-2021-Adams-Brothers-M-505-Probe-16-009-1080x675.jpeg

csYrMFUk6wCGRv5EklUqA_0icJ3PeYczg43KIdX_uQs.jpg

m-505-adams-brothers-probe-16-subasta-202070134-1597735773_1.jpg

m-505-adams-brothers-probe-16-subasta-202070134-1597735782_3.jpg

D8ipBFSWsAAetDb

adams_brothers_probe_16_8.jpg

Probe_6.jpg

Last edited:
Only three were ever produced.​
...So no funny business.

As for the car itself, I don't know really. It's interesting, I'll give it that. I'd drive it, although it looks like it could get uncomfortable. I'd drive it but wouldn't want to own it, how bout. That interior looks like a Spyker wearing cheap '60s clothes. The design isn't bad, but it does look kinda fake and kit-car-ish. I'm not usually one to think a car is horrible just because it looks a bit kit-ish, but with this one I do feel it. I sympathize with the detractors for once. Don't much wanna go higher than a meh.

Last edited:
Funky, weird, yet not very attractive looking. I dig it, though. It isn't some boring car. Tab me for Cool on this one.

I mean, it was a design study intended to be bizarre looking, so it succeeded at that. Usually these design studies never get past sketches or non-functioning floor models, so I have a hard time trying to criticize it as an actual road-going car. I do have to say though, it reminds me of a half-deflated helium balloon the way the center just... droops in like that.

And hey, movie car. In an actually good movie no less. That's a +1.

Low Cool, just because it set out to be weird on purpose, as opposed to being a serious attempt that unintentionally ended up weird looking, and got a film appearance as a result. But then again I guess all the weirdos do eventually end up in Hollywood, don't they?

There's not really a chance it was ever going into production, but I'm glad it didn't. This looks like the sort of car where every crash would result in you dying instantly.

Also it's ugly. Like the 33 Stradale's bastard cousin. Uncool.

Ford: This is the GT40. So called because its just 40 inches high.

Adams Brothers: Hold my beer!

It is rather awkwardly proportioned and the transition from low middle to high rear is very poorly done. But it was featured A Clockwork Orange. Its too extreme to be a Meh, so I will have to give it a cool.

Last edited:
Back