Transmission: 4-speed manual w/ overdrive
Drivetrain: FR
Additional Information: They only managed to sell 32
1970-Marcos-profile-e1606675470446-630x390.jpg

classic_and_sports_car_guilty_pleasure_marcos_mantis_2.png

15586673736_f9f863d434_b.jpg

Marcos_Mantis_M70_%281970%29_01.jpg

J7Fab-nFR1ayl4TPfe03og

Sort of a British attempt at an Espada? I don't know. Very uncool, saved from SU by... I don't know actually, perhaps I should have clicked SU. There is something desirable about it though, maybe its the rarity. Or the audacity to design this. I guess there's a few good bits (the interior doesn't look half bad), but still barely above SU.

The kind of a car that makes me wonder how an earth the designer can have taken a look at the finished model and thought "That's it. Perfect, I couldn't make it any better if I tried."

As it turns out, this is the car that killed Marcos (the first time). The company folded after its buyer base were completely turned off by the Mantis' weird looks, which apparently were meant to promote all around visibility. Probably didn't help that it cost £3,185 in 1971, which was about the same price as a V6 equipped TVR Vixen* (which all those disgusted ex-Marcos fans probably bought instead).

And for some bizarre reason, a company called Autotune bought the molds and produced more of them under their own name.

*that price sheet lists it in component form, as in you buy the car and engine seperate and install it yourself. A factory built Vixen would probably be about the same price as the Mantis, or slightly more than.

Last edited:
This Marcos' proportions are WAY off. Then too, Marcos has made a lot of rather funky-looking vehicles and race cars. The interior is pretty cool. However, most of this design is too funky (and not in a good way). This is not my favorite Marcos, but if I was an automotive design professor and I was given this as one student's assignment, I'm giving him/her either a "D" or an "F" for this effort. Heck, even I could design a decent-looking four-seater GT car in "Automation: The Car Tycoon Game." Seriously Uncool is my call because it is unattractive, off by a number of levels style-wise, and just lacks any serious appeal overall. Only thing I like about this car is its interior. Most everything else, no go.

Darker colors make it look better. Love that interior. Not as pretty as a Saab Sonett III, but I’ll give it a cool.

I did first hear about this car in a book called "World's Worst Cars"
KIlJXIc.png

Not exactly the most unbiased book in the world (and at least a third of it is all British Leyland), but for the most part it does the job. If nothing else it provides a good baseline for further research into what made a car less than good.

KIlJXIc.png

Not exactly the most unbiased book in the world (and at least a third of it is all British Leyland), but for the most part it does the job. If nothing else it provides a good baseline for further research into what made a car less than good.
Yeah, that's it! I have a newer edition, still has an Amphicar on the cover.

There isn't a single thing about this car's exterior that is attractive is there? The interior is OK but doesn't bowl me over. Just too ugly to be anything over than SU.

Back