1973-mohs-safarikar.jpg

Body Style: 2dr convertible
Engine: 6.4L International-Harvester V8
Power: 235 hp
Torque: 288 lb-ft
Weight: 2600 kg
Transmission: 3-speed auto
Drivetrain: Front engine, 4WD
Additional Information: Designed by Bruce Mohs as a luxury hunting vehicle, with outward-sliding doors, 3-abreast seating in front (Hello McLaren!), and a "dual-cowl phaeton" style middle windshield and roof that could open in multiple configurations. 3 were sold for a price of $19,600-25,600 ($125K-158K in today's dollars)
1973-mohs-safarikar.jpg

MohsSafariKar_07.jpg

mohs-safarikar-motortrend-com.jpg

1973-mohs-safarikar.jpg

1973-mohs-safarikar.jpg

As the sequel to my favorite car ever (which sadly got polled before I was on the forum), I won't go lower than cool despite this car's looks. Everyone else can eviscerate it as they see fit, but nothing built by The Amazing Mr. Mohs (That's his autobiography, btw) is lower than high cool to me.

Quite an oddball car this one is. Sometimes, oddball and weird can be cool. I guess a car like this could turn heads even today. I don't know much to give a spirited discussion about it, but I'll go Cool on this.

M10-LR.jpg

And if you're wondering, and I know you are, those funky doors are not for ease of entering. They're supposedly for side impact safety, presumably from being rammed by the angry elephant or rhino you were shooting at. Assuming it didn't just completely rip the body off the frame like a tin can, since this is basically a heavily modified International Harvester Travelall. (Bruce Mohs was apparently obsessed with safety, though his ideas of what was safe don't really match up with conventional wisdom.)

Mohs also designed a motor scooter that can fit an entire family and a motorcycle sidecar that converts into a tiny boat, to give an idea of who we're dealing with here.

I honestly can't hate this thing. Yeah it's an answer to a question nobody was asking, and it looks a little too much like a WWII German army staff car for my liking (just the thing you want to be driving around Africa in), but pretty much everything Bruce Mohs built was a fever dream of someone with access to too much money and no common sense, and frankly we need madness like that to balance out the sensible people who know what they're doing. Low Cool, just for the absurdity factor of it all.

Last edited:
The thought of a $150k International Travelall is beyond laughable at best. Almost like a 1970s version of the Aznom Atulux, given that they are both insanely expensive, uglily gussied up versions of regular trucks.

A resounding SU.

Almost like a 1970s version of the Aznom Atulux
LMAO

Also, in case no one noticed yet, Bruce Mohs is the real-life Homer Simpson.

e02c9b2d04ebd782289ae93c10a4973c.jpg
<->
brucemohs.jpg

If the Simpsons writers didn't know something about this before they made that episode I would seriously be kind of surprised.

Even down to "This monstrosity cost 82 thousand dollars!?"

Last edited:
Ah yes, another case of old = cool.

From my point of view, it's an unattractive brick. The car's designation as a "luxury hunting vehicle" also pushes it firmly into SU for me.

Back