Torque: 479 lb ft
Weight: 1250 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: FR
Nissan-Nismo-GT-R-GT1-32468.jpg

nissan-gt-r-r35-gt1-2009-273858.jpg

pictures_nissan_gt-r_2009_3_b.jpg

2009-170289-fia-gt1-nissan-gt-r1.webp

I wasn't sure whether to put GT1 or SuperGT as the racing class, so if that's wrong please lecture me politely let me know. Having a different engine and layout than the road car is kind of interesting, but I know that's a product of the regulations. Overall, it's meh. Maybe it was cooler in 2009.

Tune in Thursday Tuesday for another one of these...

Last edited:
This car won the 2011 FIA GT1 season drivers' championship and also took second place in the team championships. Cool.

Here is the livery of the team that won the championship.

xl_9736-photographie-5092.jpg

JRM23.jpg

Last edited:
I am honestly not really into Nissan. Despite that, though, I thought it was cool that most of the rest of the world got to experience the awesomeness that is the Skyline/GT-R. This car's been solid in its native Japan and even the "Godzilla" ones that raged in Australian motorsports. Today's GT-R itself gets a "Cool" from me. Its racing variant debated here... also gets a Cool from me. This is a very cool, very capable GT racing machine. It isn't sublime in any sense, but it is a truly fine GT racing car. I most recall the SUMO POWER ones.

My personal favourite of all racing R35s, so I'm a bit biased, but it gets a Cool from me.
It's a real monster and quite succesful in the twilight years of its category.

I wasn't sure whether to put GT1 or SuperGT as the racing class, so if that's wrong please lecture me politely let me know. Having a different engine and layout than the road car is kind of interesting, but I know that's a product of the regulations. Overall, it's meh. Maybe it was cooler in 2009.
It depended on who you asked. When it was new there was definitely a running joke about how Nissan talked big 🤬 about how tractable and reliable and unrivaled the road car's drivetrain was and then they stripped it out and put a variety of truck engine in it every time they actually raced it seriously. Winning probably healed most of those wounds, but I have a reference book on GT-Rs written in 2010 and IIRC you could almost feel the contempt the author had for the R35 GT1 being about as related to the road car as the Super GT car was.

Last edited:
I think the GT1 version of the GT-R is probably the best looking out of all the racing variants of the car, so it wins in that category for me.

I also think the fact that it's the only V8-powered GT-R is also very interesting in cool as well.

But all things considered not an especially interesting or noteworthy racecar, so it gets a cool instead of a SZ.

Back