Could I mount a CSL DD *under* the bar on an Omega Apex?

• Thread starter puffmoike
  • 8 comments
Australia
Australia
I just got a Fanatec GT DD Pro (the PS-compatible version of the CSL DD) and want to use it with a wheelstand (so can I use it in my lounge room and fold it up when not in use).

The GT Omega Apex seems well reviewed, at least as solid as any other wheelstand. eg Barry at Sim Racing Garage.

However Barry notes it put him in a very upright position, like he’s driving a truck. I want to use it with an existing leather lounge chair which is quite low, with the bottom of the wheelbase at roughly 55cm (putting me in what’s probably considered a GT-type position – not full F1, but much lower than typical office chair). Whereas the specs list minimum height of the mounting plate as 67cm.

Looking at a few photos and watching Barry put it together in the SRG review it seems like it might be possible to mount the plate upside down (below the crossbar). This would give me the right height range to find the best height. Assuming I can also get the angle right (the equivalent of pointing the wheel slightly down if the plate was mounted normally) it seems like it might work.

Has anybody tried this, and if so does it still fold up or do your pedals clash with the wheel stand?

Even if you haven’t if you own this Apex does this sound plausible?

Last edited:
I just got a Fanatec GT DD Pro (the PS-compatible version of the CSL DD) and want to use it with a wheelstand (so can I use it in my lounge room and fold it up when not in use).

The GT Omega Apex seems well reviewed, at least as solid as any other wheelstand. eg Barry at Sim Racing Garage.

However Barry notes it put him in a very upright position, like he’s driving a truck. I want to use it with an existing leather lounge chair which is quite low, with the bottom of the wheelbase at roughly 55cm (putting me in what’s probably considered a GT-type position – not full F1, but much lower than typical office chair). Whereas the specs list minimum height of the mounting plate as 67cm.

Looking at a few photos and watching Barry put it together in the SRG review it seems like it might be possible to mount the plate upside down (below the crossbar). This would give me the right height range to find the best height. Assuming I can also get the angle right (the equivalent of pointing the wheel slightly down if the plate was mounted normally) it seems like it might work.

Has anybody tried this, and if so does it still fold up or do your pedals clash with the wheel stand?

I'm not quite sure how you could do that without mounting the wheel upside down. Left and right would then be the other direction, and the steering wheel will be on upside down too. The CSL DD only has mounting points underneath and on either side, not on the top (I'm at work and can't check mine.).

Bear in mind that the Thrustmaster wheel Barry is using has a natural upward angle built in to the base, but the CSL DD does not.

You live and learn. Only had the DD for a couple of weeks and hadn't figured that out.

Have you not considered a Playseat Challenge or GT Lite? Got my DD Pro mounted on a Playseat and just leave it in the corner when not in use.

Attachments

• PXL_20220402_121920599.jpg
    PXL_20220402_121920599.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 92
Have you not considered a Playseat Challenge or GT Lite? Got my DD Pro mounted on a Playseat and just leave it in the corner when not in use.
Have considered it.

Couple of reasons I’ve been leaning towards the Apex wheelstand:
  • I haven’t seen direct comparisons but my impression is Apex is more rigid than these. How are you finding it? (And if you’ve upgraded wheel or support what are you comparing it to?)
  • I want to store it out of sight in cupboard when not in use, and suspect it folds up more compactly
  • Cheaper

Have considered it.

Couple of reasons I’ve been leaning towards the Apex wheelstand:
  • I haven’t seen direct comparisons but my impression is Apex is more rigid than these. How are you finding it? (And if you’ve upgraded wheel or support what are you comparing it to?)
  • I want to store it out of sight in cupboard when not in use, and suspect it folds up more compactly
  • Cheaper
I've not had a wheel before so have nothing to compare the Playseat to. It will fold up more compactly but I'm lucky I don't need to. I have bought some 3D printed reinforcements which you can see in my pic - braces for the wheel deck and replacement connectors from the seat to pedal deck. I've also bought a metal pedal plate that clamps to the Playseat frame now I've got the loadcell brake. Before the braces there was some flex to the wheel deck but it's rock solid now.
Something to bear in mind though is if you're planning on getting a loadcell in future, unless you can hold it in place a wheelstand won't work.

Belated update…

I ended up spending more money and getting a Playseat Trophy. I know it has its detractors (primarily about its price it seems) but I’ve been really happy with it. I think it’s the least aesthetically challenged rig available, which was important to me given it lives in my main living space, and it’s light enough that—after I added some dolly wheels under the pedal plate—it’s relatively easy for me to move it under the stairs when it’s not in use.

I did find the wheel plate a bit high, but thankfully I’ve been able to get a good ergonomic position by mounting the wheel plate ‘upside down’, with the GT DD Pro being small enough to still fit on the plate, and the cable ports fortunately aren’t blocked by the main tubing. Note however that there’s essentially no fore-aft adjustment available.

347B2F4F-92FE-418E-965A-70D15DC58F4C.jpeg
E68AFF28-9C62-4157-9C81-C6BCC5E5D160.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back