Could Lotus Still Come Back?

ScottPuss20

Pretty Kitty
Premium
Australia
Melbourne
ScottPuss20
CheetahsMeow
We all know that the Lotus Evora was in the earlier GT Sport builds, but tragically taken out due to Geely purchasing the company. This took away the possibility of potential Group 4 and Group 3 cars for Lotus, which is a real bummer considering there's a GT300 Lotus Evora and a GT4 one. How I would want to drive those cars in GT Sport. However, is it all lost for PD? Can they obtain the licence again or has the notion been quashed completely?

That entirely depends on how much Geely is willing to talk to PD. There haven't been any new cars from Lotus featured in any racing games since the takeover, so I doubt that they are social butterflies when it comes to licencing.

This took away the possibility of potential Group 4 and Group 3 cars for Lotus, which is a real bummer considering there's a GT300 Lotus Evora

Personally, I think the Gr.3 would have looked more like this than the mother chassis version:

27100.jpg

I find it stupid really just because Geely bought Lotus does not mean the licensing deal should be scrapped. A deal is a deal should stay like that. I know it wasn't PD of course its Geely.

I do wish Peugoet-Citroen bought Lotus maybe Lotus would still have been GT sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was never great in Lotii in GT games. However, I hope that they do agree a licence deal (and not just for GT Sport, other games as well), as they are sorely missed.

This post is well timed as I realise that next Sunday is exactly 2 years since I got to drive the Lotus and others at The Orange Box event. I didn't realise then or during the beta that we would not have them in game of course.

Yes, I know It was acquired by Geely in late September. I was asking for a source about the change of ownership and the subsequent lack of Lotus. As far as I know It's just speculation, but maybe I've missed something somewhere (And, honestly, It seems strange since all the Lotus models are in FM7)

By the way, what's the last time people saw Lotus in GT S? How many months before the release date?

Yes, I know It was acquired by Geely in late September. I was asking for a source about the change of ownership and the subsequent lack of Lotus. As far as I know It's just speculation, but maybe I've missed something somewhere.

By the way, what's the last time people saw Lotus in GT S? How many months before the release date?
IIRC, It appeared in the first beta, last August.

We all know that the Lotus Evora was in the earlier GT Sport builds, but tragically taken out due to Geely purchasing the company.
That's funny, because I spoke to Lotus's PR director in October and he not only didn't know why Lotus was no longer in GT Sport, he didn't know that it was.

But I'm sure "we" know better.

Geely bought Lotus either exterminated the contract we really don't know or maybe the licensing issues happened before Geely bought Lotus. So many theories to this issue.

The irony is that Geely own both Lotus and Volvo... but Geely arent dumb, they know to maximise their investments in both they will leave their marketing largely alone so I would imagine both these guys are coming back somewhere down the line.

That's funny, because I spoke to Lotus's PR director in October and he not only didn't know why Lotus was no longer in GT Sport, he didn't know that it was.

But I'm sure "we" know better.

Mattel confirmed they lost the lotus licence for hotwheels around that time on their own HW forums ( can't link it , private fourm but your free to go make an account and look ) . It doesn't take two and two to figure out . Also Toyota licences were pulled in ALOT of thr diecast world last year . Just because GT has the Toyota licence and Forza has the lotus licence doesn't mean it wasn't pulled .

Mattel confirmed they lost the lotus licence for hotwheels around that time on their own HW forums ( can't link it , private fourm but your free to go make an account and look ) . It doesn't take two and two to figure out .
I literally phoned Lotus press office up and asked about it, on the day of GT Sport's European launch, and spoke to the PR director himself (it's a two-man outfit, so it was 50:50). He didn't even know Lotus was no longer in GT Sport and seemed actively shocked to be told. As such, he wasn't able to give a reason for the omission, because he didn't know one, because he didn't even know it had happened. It's easy to understand the surprise too - Lotus provided at least one press car to the Copper Box event.

Feel free to do any math you want on the topic to figure it out, but unless you know something Lotus's own PR director doesn't, we don't know what the reason was.

Although thanks for the reminder; I need to speak to him about some cars.

Mattel confirmed they lost the lotus licence for hotwheels around that time on their own HW forums ( can't link it , private fourm but your free to go make an account and look ) . It doesn't take two and two to figure out . Also Toyota licences were pulled in ALOT of thr diecast world last year . Just because GT has the Toyota licence and Forza has the lotus licence doesn't mean it wasn't pulled .

I just bought a Lotus Esprit S1 Hotwheels car I think was made this year...

s-l1600.jpg

I literally phoned Lotus press office up and asked about it, on the day of GT Sport's European launch, and spoke to the PR director himself (it's a two-man outfit, so it was 50:50). ...Although thanks for the reminder; I need to speak to him about some cars.

I don't suppose if you talk to them that you could ask them again, maybe see if they could get an answer from someone?

There doesn't seem to be any answer to the Twitter question, probably didn't get enough support for it to alert them perhaps?

Last edited:
I literally phoned Lotus press office up and asked about it, on the day of GT Sport's European launch, and spoke to the PR director himself (it's a two-man outfit, so it was 50:50). He didn't even know Lotus was no longer in GT Sport and seemed actively shocked to be told. As such, he wasn't able to give a reason for the omission, because he didn't know one, because he didn't even know it had happened. It's easy to understand the surprise too - Lotus provided at least one press car to the Copper Box event.

Feel free to do any math you want on the topic to figure it out, but unless you know something Lotus's own PR director doesn't, we don't know what the reason was.

Although thanks for the reminder; I need to speak to him about some cars.

Yeah, it'd be good to follow up with them at this point. If he was shocked last time, surely he must've investigated what happened by now.

I just bought a Lotus Esprit S1 Hotwheels car I think was made this year...

s-l1600.jpg

I don't suppose if you talk to them that you could ask them again, maybe see if they could get an answer from someone?

There doesn't seem to be any answer to the Twitter question, probably didn't get enough support for it to alert them perhaps?

The question in hand was in regards to upcoming castings for 2019. Toyota was made last year yet Mattel lost it last year . They can't cut production mid run unless of course they receive a CND order . Hopefully they reinstate it like they did with Audi and Mercades to include modern cars .

This week might be bad because of GWFOS, but as it happens I'm actually working GWFOS so I'll see if I can catch up there, or follow up next week.

Wow, so lucky to go to Goodwood, hope you have lot's of fun! Perhaps mention that as per the tweet, we know of at least a couple of people who bought a Lotus because of how it was presented in GT and then how it lived up to the expectations... myself included. Surely it's a no brainer from a marketing perspective... I'd love to see the Elise GT1 back in GT, I'm really close to buying a One X and Forza for it...

Then again, Lotus PR don't even have time to update their website, let alone get involved with videogames:

http://www.lotuscars.com/lotus-world/lotus-and-goodwood

This just brings back so many fond Gran Turismo memories to me, I wish it had all these cars today, I wish I too could go to Goodwood!

The cameraman even looks like a model captured in Gran Turismo:

You might want to look out for this at this at Goodwood too:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back