Could the PS5 Get Bespoke AMD Hardware?

Actually not sure if you're being serious here. :) But I like how you make the leap to...

...as if Crytek were somehow lazy and faking technological advancement. Crysis upon release was technologically groundbreaking and way ahead of its time. That's the reason it was so demanding on the hardware.
This article is a pretty good demonstration of the sort of thing I believe @SimTourist was referring to, though it examines Crysis 2 instead of the original.

...as if Crytek were somehow lazy and faking technological advancement. Crysis upon release was technologically groundbreaking and way ahead of its time. That's the reason it was so demanding on the hardware.
It's fine that it was demanding at release, but in 2018 even a low-end GPU should be able to chew through it with no difficulty.

Not necessarily. Time isn't infinite, so when designing for multiple hardware sets a developer may have to rely on systems that work on all of them but are optimal for none. The way that they do this may end up being very clever, but because any given user isn't seeing an optimal experience for their specific hardware it often flies under the radar.

I mean, it would be hard not to put Rockstar on the top tier of developers, and GTAV is on two generations of Playstation and Xbox as well as PC. I'd argue that CD Projekt Red deserves to be considered as top tier as well, and they're multi-platform. They can absolutely go toe to toe with Naughty Dog or Polyphony as far as skill goes.

Evolution was once a Sony first party studio and are now a multi-platform studio under Codemasters. Does that mean that they've gotten less talented just by being booted out from under Sony's wing?
The fact you only bring up rock star and CD project red proves my point . Nintendo First party along with over 8 Sony first party studios and the previous MS first parties have made some if the best games of all time MULTIPLE times . CD project red has only made one great game ( the witcher 1 and 2 were mediocre ) . Rock star is on the other hand that good . And yeah Evo us worst under codies . Onrush looks awful compared to drive club and Motorstorm . No snow / mud / sand deformation ? What a joke .

The fact you only bring up rock star and CD project red proves my point . Nintendo First party along with over 8 Sony first party studios and the previous MS first parties have made some if the best games of all time MULTIPLE times . CD project red has only made one great game ( the witcher 1 and 2 were mediocre ) . Rock star is on the other hand that good . And yeah Evo us worst under codies . Onrush looks awful compared to drive club and Motorstorm . No snow / mud / sand deformation ? What a joke .

How many studios would you have liked me to bring up? My posts are already long enough, I didn't think that adding more studios would really strengthen the point at all as the fact that there are some studios that are very skilled and publishing on multiple platforms invalidates the point I was replying to.

Onrush looks awful compared to Motorstorm? The game from PS3?

Try not to destroy all your credibility in one go next time.

How many studios would you have liked me to bring up? My posts are already long enough, I didn't think that adding more studios would really strengthen the point at all as the fact that there are some studios that are very skilled and publishing on multiple platforms invalidates the point I was replying to.

Onrush looks awful compared to Motorstorm? The game from PS3?

Try not to destroy all your credibility in one go next time.

Motorstorm apocalypse had it's graphics degraded in order to keep the game running at a locked 30 due to the incredible destruction the game featured, but way to be bias . Compared to Pacific rift Onrush looks bad ( resolution aside ). Pacific rift had full earth deformatiom on mud / dirt and sand . It had better softbody physics . It had foliage physics ( Onrush has grass I guess) and the cars god dirty realistically with mud / dirt / dust . All of that was cut in MSA and is either missing or dialed back for on rush ( which looks like poop compared to drive club, and is a crappy game to boot ) . The best looking racing games are first party or second party. The witcher gets brought up constantly but compared to horizon it looks outdated in the foliage/ character model department . Ubi and EA get close but the little details aren't there. When people bring up the best looking games I hear first party . Rise of the tomb raider in 4 k can't match uncharted 4 . Resolution increases don't make a games assets look better . Naughty dog made the better looking game 4k or not .

Resolution increases makes everything look better. Otherwise, wouldn't we still be on 800x600?
If your game has low-resolution textures, making it 4k is going to make the textures stick out more. I'm yet to see a game that has textures so detailed that 4k brings about more detail. EG the standard cars in GT4 looked fine on a normal tv but looked like poop in modern day tv's . 4k helps make a game look crisper. But A ps3 game in 4k ( uncharted 3 ) isn't going to look better than a ps4 game in 720 p ( uncharted 4) . Some ps3 games were held back by resolution ( GTA 4) , that whole game looked like a smeared mess.

If your game has low-resolution textures, making it 4k is going to make the textures stick out more. I'm yet to see a game that has textures so detailed that 4k brings about more detail. EG the standard cars in GT4 looked fine on a normal tv but looked like poop in modern day tv's . 4k helps make a game look crisper. But A ps3 game in 4k ( uncharted 3 ) isn't going to look better than a ps4 game in 720 p ( uncharted 4) . Some ps3 games were held back by resolution ( GTA 4) , that whole game looked like a smeared mess.
Nah, I'd actually argue that console games used to lag in resolution compared to visuals, like personally Metal Gear Solid 2/3 looked great in the HD remaster on Ps3 with 720p compared to original 480p, the game holds up remarkably well, ps3 era games look better in 1080p than original 720p or SubHD res, Uncharted 4 would look even better in 4k than it does in 1080p. The higher the resolution the less shimmering and artifacts you'll get on small details like say cable lines, fences and whatever else subpixel detail, and you'll be able to see the full detail in the textures.

The higher the resolution the less shimmering and artifacts you'll get on small details like say cable lines, fences and whatever else subpixel detail, and you'll be able to see the full detail in the textures.
Exactly!

Nah, I'd actually argue that console games used to lag in resolution compared to visuals, like personally Metal Gear Solid 2/3 looked great in the HD remaster on Ps3 with 720p compared to original 480p, the game holds up remarkably well, ps3 era games look better in 1080p than original 720p or SubHD res, Uncharted 4 would look even better in 4k than it does in 1080p. The higher the resolution the less shimmering and artifacts you'll get on small details like say cable lines, fences and whatever else subpixel detail, and you'll be able to see the full detail in the textures.
I think that's an entirely different situation. I dont own the game, but if it was "remastered" than it makes sense if it looks better on a higher resolution, as that word usually implies an upgrade over the original. Compared to what @KingFrog is saying, where if you just bump resolution of a game with already bad textures, they will stand out more. Resolution is not something that really changes anything in that regard.

For example, there's little difference between Forza at 1080p and Forza at 4k. The changes you do notice have more to do with the resources now available from the changes they made to the game like vehicle modeling, and the introduction of HDR. If it's just a resolution change, it's not going to be making the game look better, concerning the textures.

I think that's an entirely different situation. I dont own the game, but if it was "remastered" than it makes sense if it looks better on a higher resolution, as that word usually implies an upgrade over the original. Compared to what @KingFrog is saying, where if you just bump resolution of a game with already bad textures, they will stand out more. Resolution is not something that really changes anything in that regard.

For example, there's little difference between Forza at 1080p and Forza at 4k. The changes you do notice have more to do with the resources now available from the changes they made to the game like vehicle modeling, and the introduction of HDR. If it's just a resolution change, it's not going to be making the game look better, concerning the textures.
If you want an extreme example look at this comparison of nintendo ds and emulator, the game is the exact same, no remastering or imrovement other than resolution.
3RwiZxx.png

tla2-1.png

tla2.png

You can see how much detail is hidden, although obviously at 1080p you're already showing a lot of detail, 4k is just an extra step towards being able to discern the tiniest details, it's not gonna be as drastic as going from SD to HD. Diminishing returns and all that, but it still can be appreciated.

If you want an extreme example look at this comparison of nintendo ds and emulator, the game is the exact same, no remastering or imrovement other than resolution.
3RwiZxx.png

tla2-1.png

tla2.png

You can see how much detail is hidden, although obviously at 1080p you're already showing a lot of detail, 4k is just an extra step towards being able to discern the tiniest details, it's not gonna be as drastic as going from SD to HD. Diminishing returns and all that, but it still can be appreciated.
Emulators do a lot of special stuff in the background . But having emulated a lot of ps1 games , the resolution actually did the games a lot of favors by masking sub par areas . Most modern day textures aren't held back by resolution , they simply aren't that high quality with a few exceptions ( as in textures not entire games ). That's why some remasters baffle me . Going from 720 to 1080p is hardly a difference . 1080P to 4k 's main advantage is reduced aliasing but most modern games today have that solved . God of war at 1080p looks better than most PC games at 4k in screenshots .. now in motion it obliterates them .

Back