Could we likely get Racing modifications as GT2 affecting perfomance, body kit and not only vinyls?

• Thread starter MadMax97
  • 21 comments
It's an option I'm sure many players would like. GT Sport Gr.4 cars, are as close as we can see what current Racing Modifications look like. The interiors might be the most difficult, if all cars can be modified.

I'd say it's possible. Even if select cars, initally, have this option and PD update cars later.

I'd love for the RM system to return, even if it's not called as such, as a way to obtain the various made-for-game Gr.4, Gr.3, and Gr.B cars. It'd be a bit like evolving Pokemon, including the similarity of some Pokemon having branched evolutions, and similarly, if the RM system returns, some cars could have multiple options, like the Hyundai Genesis Coupe having the option to get turned into either the Gr.4, Gr.3, or Gr.B variants, though the latter two would cost more to get than the first one. Plus, you'd have to obtain the road-going homologation specials for those respective race cars, such as for the Alfa Romeo Gr.3, or the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Final Edition Gr.B.

It could also be a way to obtain certain tuners within the N-Series, like the Mazda Roadster Touring Car. But other than the made-for-game cars, I'd allow the tuners/racers from actual brands to be bought directly from the respective automakers/tuners. So you'd have to get the BMW M3 GT2 directly from BMW, rather than buying an M3 E92 and then hypothetically having the option to use the RM feature to get the GT2 version. A similar thing would apply to a car like the Toyota 86 GRMN, or the Nissan GT-R Nismo.

Of course, I'd also include the option to basically craft your own tuner, like in GT6, where you could install diffusers, canards, rear wings, etc.

Last edited:
Highly doubt they'll do it since theres many Gr. 4,3,2,1 and B varients made separate to existing road cars.

However, they could do a feature to convert you car to one of those groups which would be fairly cool.

At least for the Nostalgic cars and cars in the '80s.

Edit: Like these from the past
full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
Highly doubt they'll do it since theres many Gr. 4,3,2,1 and B varients made separate to existing road cars.

However, they could do a feature to convert you car to one of those groups which would be fairly cool.
Well, then they should do something opposite for GT5 to GT6.
In GT6, every RM cars are turned into separate cars like Corvette ZR1 LM Race Car. In GT7, they can turn the existing Gr. 4/3/2/1/B cars into the base car's RM cars (and add more ofc).

Last edited:
They'd have to pick and choose. Like the ND MX-5 that has the roll cage, but we never got. That could be a base level RM.
Such cars get a roll cage(interior could be kept standard), racing suspension and tow hook locations. Engine(maybe exhaust is upgrade aded) and transmissions are stock.

A reason why I typed interiors could be standard, the Mini '65 has a basic roll cage with its standard interior. The car is bare bones from the factory, but some cars used for racing, still keep the standard interior. It'd save PD some time instead of modelling multiple stripped out interiors.

Again, it's a lot of work to put in, if we'll see a return of RM options.

Perfect example is the A90 Supra. The Gr.4 car has a standard livery. Yet, PD gave us the race car exterior. That could be an option. If we wanted to drop weight and add a roll cage, a step 2 could be the Supra GT4 Concept below.
crkzBDSWmCFwm544ASMw

Carpet, sound deadening/insulation deleted and steering wheel replaced. Roll cage added. Stock dashboard. Which Stage 3 could be full GT4 competition interior below.
ae03f5_3810047bf33f4ef89b0411de76f89ded~mv2.jpg

Again, modelling such options for half the car list(for referrence, I believe GT SPort's car list are half road car and have half race cars), is taxing at the level PD detail interiors. Even with outside help. We'll see.

They'd have to pick and choose. Like the ND MX-5 that has the roll cage, but we never got. That could be a base level RM.
Such cars get a roll cage(interior could be kept standard), racing suspension and tow hook locations. Engine(maybe exhaust is upgrade aded) and transmissions are stock.

A reason why I typed interiors could be standard, the Mini '65 has a basic roll cage with its standard interior. The car is bare bones from the factory, but some cars used for racing, still keep the standard interior. It'd save PD some time instead of modelling multiple stripped out interiors.

Again, it's a lot of work to put in, if we'll see a return of RM options.

Perfect example is the A90 Supra. The Gr.4 car has a standard livery. Yet, PD gave us the race car exterior. That could be an option. If we wanted to drop weight and add a roll cage, a step 2 could be the Supra GT4 Concept below.
crkzBDSWmCFwm544ASMw

Carpet, sound deadening/insulation deleted and steering wheel replaced. Roll cage added. Stock dashboard. Which Stage 3 could be full GT4 competition interior below.
ae03f5_3810047bf33f4ef89b0411de76f89ded~mv2.jpg

Again, modelling such options for half the car list(for referrence, I believe GT SPort's car list are half road car and have half race cars), is taxing at the level PD detail interiors. Even with outside help. We'll see.
Anything for PD is a lot of work unfortunately perhaps, with them being low in numbers and slow in work.

well in GT2 there was such a grassroots racing feel to it. Some race mods in GT were based on existing official race cars, replicas. They were appreciated since it usually was the case that PD hadn't the time or licensing to add them into the game officially.

The rest were improvisations, it was the improvised race modifications that had the grassroots essence about them. PD seemed to rediscover that passion back in GT5, whether or not for the same reasons they had for GT2, some of the race mod designs were improvised, some taking inspiration and others were directly based on officially homologated (at the time)race cars.

It would be great having the ability to create either touring, cup car and general track cars. The ability to install various parts separately, like roll cages in particular which would be awesome, and much like previous iterations installing individual aero pieces. Having a choice between making race prepared cars, or full serviced stripped out racing cars.
lead-image-1143210-1580235894.jpeg

Example of roll cages and bare minimum modifications in a GT7 Miata cup race(imagine entering said race, and all the Miata's looked like those:eek:)

UTCC_2016_Tom_Cover_cf4HixN.jpg

GDxVy6DQbaK1QLMg7

dyCVCaB3KJ2QdxA67

unnamed.jpg

Example of full racing modifications. The possibilities.....

If it were to come to GT7, we may not be able to race modify hyper cars and such, I imagine it would be possible, to race mod generic GT cars to generate downforce up to, and in between, the Gr.4 and Gr.3 bracket. Much like cup cars, 911 GT3 cups and Ferrari challenges 's etc. Horse power of course would be flexible.
Ferrari-488-Challenge-Evo-Race-Car-0-Hero.jpg

You'll have to experiment and find out what cars ,that can be race modified, will give you the maximum allowed downforce for an RM. A Fiesta most likely wont have a race modification extreme enough to fit that criteria, so with in reason :lol:.

Last edited:
However easy it was for PD to make all those RMs back then, it definitely had that grassroots feel.

The "body in white" RMs we got for GT5/GT6, were preludes to what we have in GTS(enter Livery Editor and they're Base Models).

Anything for PD is a lot of work unfortunately perhaps, with them being low in numbers and slow in work.
That recent article about outsourcing the Tundra. With that modeller only doing the interior, it'd be interesting if stripped out interiors for RMs were/are outsourced.

Last edited:
This would greatly affect the performance.
3b0bf1e6252a4bd1422f85d2abbe7462.jpg

To add, I'd think for PD to model this, the use of the GT6 gauges option, could be another tool to make the interior feel like a race car. Probably wouldn't need a full roll cage. Maybe a half cage or hoop to signify the modification. Bumper delete and wider track, is pretty much all that is needed exterior wise.

Considering we already have Gr. 3, Gr. 4 and Gr. B versions of specific cars, I think racing modifications, classic-style would likely turn certain cars into an unrestricted type of race car which could potentially mean the car will be in Gr. X afterwards. However, with the PP system re-introduced, this shouldn't be a problem.

Racing Modifications were experimented in GT5. But turns out the amount of work it has done meant that its just better to raise the car count instead of locking it in a feature.

They already given up on the feature ever since GT5 Spec 2 with those Touring Cars. In GT6 they finally separated the RM car from the stock with the "Touring car" or "Race car" moniker. And in GTSport, you know the rest.

Racing Modifications were experimented in GT5. But turns out the amount of work it has done meant that its just better to raise the car count instead of locking it in a feature.

They already given up on the feature ever since GT5 Spec 2 with those Touring Cars. In GT6 they finally separated the RM car from the stock with the "Touring car" or "Race car" moniker. And in GTSport, you know the rest.
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. I don't think any of that implies they've entirely given up on the RM mechanic. And I really do think it'd be nice if it could return, as it could be almost like evolving various Pokemon. It could be how you get any of the RM/TC models that may return from the PS3 era like the Mazda Roadster Touring Car, but also the made-for-game Gr.3, Gr.B, and Gr.4 cars, and you'd even have to get the homologation models for those first two groups, like for the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Gr.B or the Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.3.

We should also consider how adding this feature could affect the UI/UX, as I think it could help reduce the number of cars within various dealerships. Instead of having these cars be in the dealership, where they'd add to how long you spend scrolling through the dealership, they could be obtainable via a returning RM mechanic. Think of it as being like the Used Car Dealership, where those cars could otherwise be made available within the dealerships, but the inclusion of a UCD seems to be a good sign of GT7's car list, in that there are enough cars that the inclusion of a UCD is warranted. Or, in a case I wasn't personally a fan of, how the UCD in GT5 was essentially a dumping ground for the standard models.

But I digress - this is on top of how I simply think the RM mechanic is a fun idea that really has further potential, especially with the various made-for-game Gr.4/Gr.B/Gr.3 cars, on top of any made-for-game tuners like the Mazda Roadster Touring Car. There could even be multiple RM options for some cars, like the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and it'd be like how in the Pokemon games, some species have multiple potential evolutions.

Last edited:
I don't see the point of racing modifications. Why would you buy a road car to convert into a race car when you can just buy a race car?

There wasn't a 1969 Camaro & 1970 Challenger T/A. So, PD made RM options available for players to buy. That's why if we get the same pony cars with no race cars again, the RM would fill that void.

Now do PD offer the RM cars as "Base Models"? Would those cars cease to be RMs or be named something else? That's if racing modifications return.

In fact, every TC cars from the Racing Car Pack DLC are internally named as if they are RM cars, with "_rm" suffix after their internal name.

I don't see the point of racing modifications. Why would you buy a road car to convert into a race car when you can just buy a race car?

I mean, back when Gran Turismo was much more about buying a car and slowly building it up into a contender it made more sense. Getting to finally upgrade the RX7 that I've been racing since the Clubman Cup enough that I can turn it into a full race car is a nice feeling. Functionally there's no difference between selling the RX7 and buying a racing version, but there's something about building an attachment to a specific car that's nice even if it's imaginary.

But in modern times I doubt they'll come back, if only because if they're made as separate versions of the car they can be used to increase the car count. Gotta boost those numbers, yo.

I'm hoping it makes a comeback so we can do this

and this

and this

We can still have dedicated Gr.4/GT4, Gr.3/GT3, Super GT. Those are all purpose built customer cars for those homologated racing series. GT has had Dream Car Championships and Tuner car events for such cars. With the probability of PP returning, it would make sense to offer players the choice of RMs. I'm sure there are real world racers that may own a purpose built race car and have a similar brand/model race car, built by their own hands.

Unless PD add tyre width, in GT7, to the current wheel diameter option in Livery Editor(which I doubt they'll do), I'd like to have the RM option. It's stuff like this the game once had. Just a few cars, but some of the Gran Turismo Awards Camaros, fit these type of modfications.

Yes, this is at the top of my GT7 wishlist. Not for all cars, of course, but the most relevant ones.

I want to relive the days of GT1, buying a used car and heading straight to the RM to see what the race version looks like.

Alluding from my previous comment I made here and a similar thread, I would much prefer RM cars to work like this,

Let’s say that the GR.4 class in GT7 will be accurately cleaned up, in terms of replacing discontinued cars (like the 4c) with relevant ones and removing everything not using the RWD platform etc. I’ll call them throw away cars.

Those throw away cars in GR.4 that were either replaced or removed from the GR.4 need not be completely torn from the games roster but instead, have them convert to race modifiable options for the base models as many have already suggested.

Let’s also say for argument sake a GR.5 class is confirmed for GT7. This Gr.5 as many have anticipated will represent the much sought after TCR class. Therefore, the official race cars can only be purchased just like GR.4 and GR.3.

Now some of those throw away GR.4 cars when B.O.P’d will be categorized differently from each other. Some may be B.O.P’d much faster than their previous GR.4 class categorization,(Mitsubushi evo, Nissan GTR, Impreza etc) while others may be B.O.P’d much slower (Scirocco, Megane’, RCZ etc).

So then what if the RM feature’s purpose could be used to create race cars that (when B.O.P’d) fit below and in between the official classes GR.5-GR.3. In theory that’s 3 extra classes of race car. It would also be much less of a headache figuring out how Multi-class races with RM and GR cars would work. RM cars could also be represented from slowest to fastest like this:

RM.3(slower than GR.5)

RM.2(Faster than GR.5 Slower than GR.4)

RM.1(Faster than GR.4 slower than GR.3)

If perhaps a faster RM class is added then the names can be changed, but I doubt it. Literally after you can afford GR.4/GR.3 cars even, and you want to compete in faster classes, you should be looking on to better things, like GR.2, SF etc.

The selling point of RM cars for me, is that it’s an open category that allows us to race cars years apart together. However, when making custom races PD could allow us to set the year limit to prevent unwanted entries (that’s right RM cars should keep the year of the base model) either on lobbies or offline, the age limit feature should apply for all types of cars in the game.

I feel this video touches on how I originally Imagined it.

I particular like how this series classes cars for more accuracy of performance. Similarly RM cars can be classified this way.

Back