Couple of noob questions

• Thread starter neil_1980
  • 12 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
neil_1980
I signed up to iracing a couple of years ago but literally got out of rookies and never touched it again so my memory is very sketchy on this so thought I'd ask here as a quick google didn't really help and coming from GT Sport it seems like the ideal place to get a comparison.

My main focus before was on safety rating to get out of rookies, I understand that thats also the case with D licence but I'm wondering about the competitive element after that.

• I remember that there was seasons and schedules... but is there any incentive to running more or fewer races? I kind of like the FIA idea on GT sport with set days but assume that its more like daily races in a comparison with GT Sport? But is it a case of just keep racing until you get a decent result or is there an incentive to minimise it like last result is the one that counts?
  • With GT sport I quite like seeing how I'm doing (usually quite badly) in the FIA series and love the regional and friend results tables. Is there anything like that in iracing? I know theres irating which is like a DR equivalent but is there any way of seeing how you are doing vs others.

I signed up to iracing a couple of years ago but literally got out of rookies and never touched it again so my memory is very sketchy on this so thought I'd ask here as a quick google didn't really help and coming from GT Sport it seems like the ideal place to get a comparison.

My main focus before was on safety rating to get out of rookies, I understand that thats also the case with D licence but I'm wondering about the competitive element after that.

• I remember that there was seasons and schedules... but is there any incentive to running more or fewer races? I kind of like the FIA idea on GT sport with set days but assume that its more like daily races in a comparison with GT Sport? But is it a case of just keep racing until you get a decent result or is there an incentive to minimise it like last result is the one that counts?
  • With GT sport I quite like seeing how I'm doing (usually quite badly) in the FIA series and love the regional and friend results tables. Is there anything like that in iracing? I know theres irating which is like a DR equivalent but is there any way of seeing how you are doing vs others.
Well, it all depends on what you're goal is. I have been on iRacing for only a couple months, but here is the basics of it. each license has a 'MPR" (minimum participation requirements) before getting promoted to the next level, by the way a license promotion is soley based on Safety Rating. Point is, is that if you want more competitive racing you have to have a higher license, similar to GTSport. Only "A" class has the big time "Official" races. With that being said you can host races and join lots of leagues where racing wont affect you're status at all. Similar to "Sport Mode". Official races and sport mode are the same thing sorta. One big difference is that the higher license you have the longer the races are. Example in "Oval series" D races would be 20 laps, C races would be 45 laps, B races would be 90 laps and A races would be 134 laps and Pro races would be full length.
But on the other side lots of organization's hold events where everyone can try to qualify not based on license.

They also have time attack where you can see where you rank with others, no affect on youre license.

Here is all that iR info: https://d3bxz2vegbjddt.cloudfront.n...8-iRacing-Sporting-Code_dated_Oct_28_2020.pdf

Also helpful: https://support.iracing.com/support/home

The results of every practice, race, time trail ect. sessions gets saved and archived. The ones you participated in are listed in your profile and there are also leaderboards for everything and you can also access and view all the session results of any other sessions or even a specific iR driver if you wanted too. Tons of filter options :)

Last edited:
I remember that there was seasons and schedules... but is there any incentive to running more or fewer races? I kind of like the FIA idea on GT sport with set days but assume that its more like daily races in a comparison with GT Sport? But is it a case of just keep racing until you get a decent result or is there an incentive to minimise it like last result is the one that counts.
iRacing runs in weeks. Each series in the game (Indycar, ILMS, GT3 etc) runs from Week 1-12. The week starts 00:00 GMT Tuesday mornings and the series moves onto the next track at that time. Some series are are single car, some are single class, and some are multi-class. There is also a Week 13 between each season for a bit of madness (and iRacing updates) before point scoring starts the next week as we move back to week 1. There are 4 season per year. This morning saw the start of 2021 Season 2 Week 1.

In terms of scoring:

Take part in 1-4 races in a given series and they take your best single result.
5-8 races and they average your best 2.
9-12 races is 3.
13+ races is 4.

You can also 'earn' up to a max of $10 per season by if you are a regular participant - completing 8 of 12 races in a full series can get you $4 added to your iRacing account for example. It's pocket money really though compared to the cost of iRacing!

Last edited:
Also Neil, keep in mind you will have all the content you purchased (if any) before you left, so if you go back to your same account it will be the same. Also, keep in mind you will get deals for any three purchases and if you stay long enough and purchase 100% of the content you will get huge savings. The last three tracks and three cars I got for free.

Also Neil, keep in mind you will have all the content you purchased (if any) before you left, so if you go back to your same account it will be the same. Also, keep in mind you will get deals for any three purchases and if you stay long enough and purchase 100% of the content you will get huge savings. The last three tracks and three cars I got for free.
I didn’t actually get as far as purchasing content last time... I literally just got out of rookies in as few races as possible from the back then just felt a. It lost so left it and didn’t renew.

I’ve found an iracing calendar though now that plans out all the seasons with the tracks and cars so makes it pretty easy to see which content is worth purchasing.

So I made the plunge... few races done and now have my C licence, though have a quick MPR question that I couldn't see the answer to in the sporting code.

Obviously to get my B licence I need to do 4 C races and either be 3.0 or over by the end of the series of 4.0 for fast track.

However from what I understand I can do B races at C 4.0 without having done the 4 C races?

If thats correct and I did 4 B races at C 4.0 would that count as MPR for the C licence? Or would I have to go back and do 4 C races to get the proper B licence?

Assume whatever the answer to above would hold true going from B to A also.

Hi mates.
would like also to ask few questions about iRacing.

Does it have online servers for quick race like it is in RaceRoom?
Does it have seasonal event with some prizes (same as RaceRoom)?

Hi mates.
would like also to ask few questions about iRacing.

Does it have online servers for quick race like it is in RaceRoom?
Does it have seasonal event with some prizes (same as RaceRoom)?
iRacing is server based (hosted by iRacing). All series run in a schedule - some every hour, some every 2 hours etc. There is no "quick race" but to be honest at any given hour on any day you are rarely more than 15mins from an oval, road or dirt race.

iRacing has a Pro series for the very very top drivers and there is money there. Outside of that you would be looking at individual private leagues and any prize money related to those.

Back