Course Maker App Update (1.0.2)

• Thread starter aboe
  • 56 comments
Man, and I'd finally gotten some time to start updating the OP in my testing thread...

At least it doesn't overwrite the algorithm on the existing PS3 stuff. I'm sure this is beneficial to more people than it is bothersome, but still...

R.I.P jump tracks.

Good to know, thanks. I'm not a jump track guy, so this update is good news for me.
It is easy to not have jumps on a track.

The jumps in the first video on this page didn't just happen. I added anchor points just before and after the ridges. They anchored the track to the terrain. If I didn't want jumps I would have just put the anchor points farther away from the ridge, then the track would slowly rise from the anchor to the top of the ridge back down to the next anchor point with no jump at all.

Now it appears that the anchor points do not pin the track to the terrain at all. What is the point of an anchor that does not anchor?

R.I.P jump tracks.

It is sad indeed. :(

You can ask for the webs for the older APK version, though.
Thanks, I know, but sooner or later they will have a mandatory update. I just hope they un-fix what they fixed before they do.

It is easy to not have jumps on a track.

The jumps in the first video on this page didn't just happen. I added anchor points just before and after the ridges. They anchored the track to the terrain. If I didn't want jumps I would have just put the anchor points farther away from the ridge, then the track would slowly rise from the anchor to the top of the ridge back down to the next anchor point with no jump at all.

Now it appears that the anchor points do not pin the track to the terrain at all. What is the point of an anchor that does not anchor?

It is sad indeed. :(

The terrain doesn't feature such sharp drops, it was created by the interpolation between the anchor points. The illustration shows a horizontal view of the track between two anchor points and is exaggerated to highlight the difference:

v2.png

The 1.0.1 profile is great for making jumps, but a total death trap if you want a corner going up a hill.

Last edited:
The terrain doesn't feature such sharp drops, it was created by the interpolation between the anchor points. The illustration shows a horizontal view of the track between two anchor points and is exaggerated to highlight the difference:

The 1.0.1 profile is great for making jumps, but a total death trap if you want a corner going up a hill.
I can't say that I agree with you.

Here is an image of the track and terrain before the update. (from the video above.)
*Note the orange barrier on the right*
before%20update_zpsei58xqyk.jpg

You can clearly see the track is matched to the terrain here.

Here is the same spot on the track after the update.
*Again the orange barrier*
after%20update_zpsjh8tvswr.jpg

As you can see, the track editor ignored the anchor I have placed at the base of that little rise, and smoothed it all out.

I could have done that myself.

I can understand why PD might want to cut out extreme jumps because they look silly on YouTube.

But I make tracks for 425pp street cars. Sure, if you are in a red bull (or whatever the fastest car is now days), the jumps may be a little extreme, but at 425pp, they are fun.

Last edited:
I can't say that I agree with you.

Here is an image of the track and terrain before the update. (from the video above.)
*Note the orange barrier on the right*
before%20update_zpsei58xqyk.jpg

You can clearly see the track is matched to the terrain here.

What you see as terrain is the track borders, which stretches out 20-30 meters to the left and the right of the track, and follows the same path as the road. You never see these kind of hills in the surrounding terrain, they only ever occur where the road is.

In this video the wave profile created by the anchors is obvious. The terrain is smooth, the track is not.

Hmm I need to check both my iPad's app version and my Bluestacks counterpart. One will retain 1.00 patch for the old format, where one will be continuously updated. I have a preference of using the iPad for building replicas because the finger controls are easy to use and reference images are easy to set up, unlike in Bluestacks, where it's only possible with OS X. I also use the iPad to visually mimic the layout on non-flat courses, as it's easy to rotate the device to match my reference photo from my laptop monitor. However I'm currently producing Ridge Racer tracks and I was looking forward to recreate the jumps found on the circuit, I've been successful once, so I'm convinced 1.00 is worth keeping.

I like the new version because I like making hillclimb roads. Slight curves on roads traversing hillsides now don't give crests that launch cars. I can see the appeal of the original for some cresting, but having to redesign corners half-a-dozen times to get something usable was a genuine problem. Now, it is not. Bravo.

Plus, the problem with the time slider appeared to be a bad install of the app on my XZ. Now fixed.

What I now need to know is how to save all my track layouts on my Bluestacks install before I install 1.0.2. Can anyone point me to a guide on how to do this?

Like your style. I got a 'std' install on non-root 7.85" Android tablet, @PR1VATEJ0KER's v1.0.1 on main PC and v1.0.2 on laptop (both Bluestacks). Zooming is not great on Bluestacks but I can live with it.

In this video the wave profile created by the anchors is obvious. The terrain is smooth, the track is not.

I can see your point. That is definitely broken. Perhaps it is an Eifel problem. Does this type of undulation occur anywhere else?

I would love to see a before and after picture. I wonder what this looks like now.
eifel%20befor%20update_zpsbgwpaebs.jpg

I like the new version because I like making hillclimb roads. Slight curves on roads traversing hillsides now don't give crests that launch cars. I can see the appeal of the original for some cresting, but having to redesign corners half-a-dozen times to get something usable was a genuine problem. Now, it is not. Bravo.

Plus, the problem with the time slider appeared to be a bad install of the app on my XZ. Now fixed.

What I now need to know is how to save all my track layouts on my Bluestacks install before I install 1.0.2. Can anyone point me to a guide on how to do this?

If it's any help I've installed 3 different versions on my PC's Bluestacks today and it upgrades each time leaving my tracks in place.

Hmm, when that 1.0.1 version was released, totally missed it, still on 1.0.0.

Hmm, when that 1.0.1 version was released, totally missed it, still on 1.0.0.

I think it was 1.0.1 already when it was released, but I'm not sure.

I can see your point. That is definitely broken. Perhaps it is an Eifel problem. Does this type of undulation occur anywhere else?

It seems to me that the undulation occurred when you placed anchors at different elevation, and the closer you put the anchors and the greater the elevation difference the more dramatic the wave became.

And since Eifel has the steepest hills, that's where the biggest jumps could be made. But the method worked on Andalusia and Death Valley as well, I used to create small bumps in the road that way.

I'm a bit mixed about the update. On one hand my touge courses are now perfect once smoothed (tight hairpins don't feel like a washboard anymore). Unfortunately this is the end for jump tracks. Good thing I saved quite a few on my account :D

I'm a bit mixed about the update. On one hand my touge courses are now perfect once smoothed (tight hairpins don't feel like a washboard anymore). Unfortunately this is the end for jump tracks. Good thing I saved quite a few on my account :D
Use both, or does that prevent track upload on older version?

Use both, or does that prevent track upload on older version?

I don't know, I use the TPE app on iPad and once you update you can't go back to previous version. Maybe someone with bluestacks can check.

I don't know, I use the TPE app on iPad and once you update you can't go back to previous version. Maybe someone with bluestacks can check.
On Android it's allowing track transfer with older version too, rooted device and using backup software's like titanium or helium works fine on version switching. Helium doesn't even need rooted device.

On Android it's allowing track transfer with older version too, rooted device and using backup software's like titanium or helium works fine on version switching. Helium doesn't even need rooted device.

:banghead: Wish I'd known that a couple of days ago, been trying to help @Ares85 with upgrading to v1.0.2 on non-rooted Bluestacks which resulted in a successful upgrade but losing his saved tracks. :ouch:

:banghead: Wish I'd known that a couple of days ago, been trying to help @Ares85 with upgrading to v1.0.2 on non-rooted Bluestacks which resulted in a successful upgrade but losing his saved tracks. :ouch:
Rooting bluestacks is not a big operation.. Afaik you can copy TPE files (backup) from normal explorer on pc without having root.

Back